PDA

View Full Version : Misc -- So, I just ate at Dreamland BBQ, and FUCK!

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
ROFL! Yeah, can I like, have my money back, pls?

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Sorry for your loss? :shrug:

lol, just was wondering if any CP'ers had ever tried this bullshit.

Stewie
09-17-2009, 12:31 PM
The menu looks good and they cook over hickory so that's a start. Bad rub or sauce? I'd think people in Georgia could turn out some decent Q.

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 12:51 PM
The menu looks good and they cook over hickory so that's a start. Bad rub or sauce? I'd think people in Georgia could turn out some decent Q.

It's Alabama based, and yeah, the chicken sand., the actual meat was okay. Nice hickory flavor, but it came on a bun w/ Lettuce, Tomato, and Onion and pickle, their sauce was just AWFUL. Really, TERRI'fucking'BLE!

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 12:56 PM
it was just weird, you had to be there.

wild1
09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
if i went to a BBQ joint, I would try something besides the chicken sandwich to judge them by. just saying.

Delano
09-17-2009, 12:58 PM
You're just pissed the Bellinis were watered down.

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 01:07 PM
if i went to a BBQ joint, I would try something besides the chicken sandwich to judge them by. just saying.

That's really great wild1, I did, He brought me a rib-bone. They sucked.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
That's really great wild1, I did, He brought me a rib-bone. They sucked.

Thanks for your valuable input.

http://thestockmasters.com/files/u1/chris-rock-one.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNQRqAoT-2c&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNQRqAoT-2c&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chief Faithful
09-17-2009, 01:29 PM
lol, just was wondering if any CP'ers had ever tried this bullshit.

I eat at the one in Roswell on occasion. Still have not found BBQ in GA that can compete with KC, but I have adjusted to the local flavors. The best I have found in the area so far is "Spiced Right Rib House" in Roswell.

Stewie
09-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I eat at the one in Roswell on occasion. Still have not found BBQ in GA that can compete with KC, but I have adjusted to the local flavors. The best I have found in the area so far is "Spiced Right Rib House" in Roswell.

Is GA BBQ more like Carolina Q (mustard/vinegar) or is it more tomato based?

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Red vin. based, it's awful.

Stewie
09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Red vin. based, it's awful.

It sounds like you need a road trip to KC for some real Q.

Inspector
09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I heard that Baltimore has the best Bar-b-q.

Chiefnj2
09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Don't get me started on the salad at the Olive Garden.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I heard that Baltimore has the best Bar-b-q.

LMAO

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
It sounds like you need a road trip to KC for some real Q.

I'm entertaining the idea of driving back for a long weekend, soon.

Chief Faithful
09-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Georgia does not really have a style they can call their own. Most common is the Alabama style, which is pulled pork with a sweet tomato based sauce very similar to the common variety found on any grocery store shelf. Think Kraft thinned out with a little spice.

Around here the most common meats are pulled pork, short ribs or chicken. Some places carry baby back and turkey. Sliced brisket is available most places, but very few know how to get it tender and moist. Few places use a rub so usually the only flavor is directly from the meat is the hickory smoke and it tends to be dry.

It takes some getting used to.

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Georgia does not really have a style they can call their own. Most common is the Alabama style, which is pulled pork with a sweet tomato based sauce very similar to the common variety found on any grocery store shelf. Think Kraft thinned out with a little spice.

Around here the most common meats are pulled pork, short ribs or chicken. Some places carry baby back and turkey. Sliced brisket is available most places, but very few know how to get it tender and moist. Few places use a rub so usually the only flavor is directly from the meat is the hickory smoke and it tends to be dry.

It takes some getting used to.

That KC BBQ place on Roswell Road is supposed to be great, the owner(s) is/are from KC. It's in the Publix shopping ctr. off of Abernathy intersection.

Chief Faithful
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
That KC BBQ place on Roswell Road is supposed to be great, the owner(s) is/are from KC. It's in the Publix shopping ctr. off of Abernathy intersection.

Don't get your hopes up. Very expensive and average quality. The most KC like I have found is in Marietta called BBQ1. My favorite so far is Spiced Right Rib Shack.
http://www.lostmountainbbq.com/

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Don't get your hopes up. Very expensive and average quality. The most KC like I have found is in Marietta called BBQ1. My favorite so far is Spiced Right Rib Shack.
http://www.lostmountainbbq.com/

ORLY? I keep hearing they're phenomenal. However, that usually comes from a Georgia person, so.

Simply Red
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM

SmokeJack is fair, though it's more like a cuisine styled, bbq, w/ sides like fried pickles and corn casserole. Good though. Very trendy crowd, lots of hotties on Fridays when bands play. Been a minute since I have been there though. it's in 'old town' Alpharetta, on the square. http://www.smokejackbbq.com/

Chief Faithful
09-18-2009, 11:01 AM
SmokeJack is fair, though it's more like a cuisine styled, bbq, w/ sides like fried pickles and corn casserole. Good though. Very trendy crowd, lots of hotties on Fridays when bands play. Been a minute since I have been there though. it's in 'old town' Alpharetta, on the square. http://www.smokejackbbq.com/

Yes, I went there a couple years back. It is a great atmosphere especially walking around old town at night. My expectations were still too high at the time so while I enjoyed it I wasn't overly impressed. Now that I have adjusted to the local BBQ I need to try it again.

I do like the local fried pickles, cheesy hash, and fried sweet potatoe sticks.

Simply Red
09-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes, I went there a couple years back. It is a great atmosphere especially walking around old town at night. My expectations were still too high at the time so while I enjoyed it I wasn't overly impressed. Now that I have adjusted to the local BBQ I need to try it again.

I do like the local fried pickles, cheesy hash, and fried sweet potatoe sticks.

For sure, It's just an entirely different 'nitch' of food, it's not really a 'smoke-house' type. They DO put out quality, though.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm going to have to drive up to Marysville today. You guys have me craving some genuine Q.

cdcox
03-11-2010, 09:07 PM
OK, I went there tonight. The place has stores all over 'bama. I went to one in Tuscoloosa. I was following the GPS on my iPhone and thought I was an a wild goose chase, because I was in a sub-division. But then I caught the unmistakable odor of pork fat and hickory. Turned out I had taken a wrong turn and was about a quarter mile away. I pulled up to in the gravel lot and it's basically a shack with no windows. A real authentic BBQ joint. I go in and there are about 10 tables, about half full. I'm by myself so I pull up a stool at the bar. A plate of white bread and a cup of BBQ saucer are placed in front of me. The menu is posted on the wall: rib sandwich, rib plate, and full slab of ribs. I order the rib plate and a side of beans. It is served 3 minutes later: Ribs are in a basket individually cut and drenched in sauce. They are full ribs with the cartridge that runs perpendicular to the ribs still attached. OK, so my reaction to the ribs was just the opposite of SR's the sauce was very tasty: a spicy vinegar red sauce. It lingered nicely on the pallet for a couple hours after. The meat was just so-so. Despite the great aroma in the neighborhood, the meat lacked smokiness. I thought they might have been boiled (horrors). As I was eating they took about 10 racks off the fire and put about another 15 racks on -- and they were definitely raw so my fears about boiling were unfounded. The pit was an open brick unit with a wood fire below. I'm not sure how long they keep them on the fire but I'm guessing it was a pretty fast cooking process. Beans were nothing special, probably right out of the can. Given that one of their slogans was "Bread, Ribs & Beer" I wouldn't expect great sides.

Overall it was a positive experience. This was an authentic southern rib joint of national acclaim with a distinctive flavorful sauce. It wouldn't compete with the KC palaces, but few places would.

Smed1065
03-11-2010, 11:03 PM

This or that or whatever is the new saying.

Reaper16
03-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I only ate at 4 bbq places when I was in Tuscaloosa last weekend but Dreamland was 3rd or 4th amongst them.

cdcox
03-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I only ate at 4 bbq places when I was in Tuscaloosa last weekend but Dreamland was 3rd or 4th amongst them.

Do you have one that you recommend? I might be able to find another time to sample before I leave.

Reaper16
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Do you have one that you recommend? I might be able to find another time to sample before I leave.
Mike & Ed's and Archibald's were miles ahead of Dreamland for me.

Smed1065
03-11-2010, 11:39 PM

I Like Daddy Z's downtown. Round Memorial not cheap but friendly and "smoked"

Saccopoo
03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey Red,

Have you ever dined at Kevin Gillespie's restaurant there in Atlanta? The Hardwood Grill or something like that...