PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Behind The Buzzkill

Hammock Parties
09-17-2009, 03:01 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/899919.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">It seems some Chiefs fans aren’t quite ready to accept the reality that this year’s Chiefs team might actually be worse than the 2-14 squad that stunk up Arrowhead Stadium a year ago. When I presented that reality following Sunday’s loss in Baltimore, the backlash was furious.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Not only was I invited to become a fan of the Denver Broncos, I was called clueless, insane, a “Haley hater,” and urged to move to Boston, where I could enjoy the luxury of writing solely about winning sports teams.

Let me assure all Chiefs fans – my hatred for the Broncos runs deep, I’m on board with Haley and the only thing I want to see the Red Sox do this October is lose enough games so that my Texas Rangers steal the wild-card spot in the American League. I’m as big a Chiefs fan as the rest of you are, and was thrilled by Sunday’s game just the same. It was entertaining as hell, and kept me right on the edge of my seat.

When it was over, my first instinct was to write exactly what all Chiefs fans felt. My gut reaction told me to write something positive and uplifting, that chronicled how brilliantly Kansas City had gone into Baltimore and survived, how the team had scrapped and clawed its way into a tie with an AFC power through 55 minutes and surprised us all.

I literally began to write such a column. The title - “Chiefs Shock The World.” The sentiment – upbeat. The bunny rabbits and butterflies – frolicking in the meadow. The truth – nowhere to be found.

There was no truth in the idea that Kansas City had somehow competed with the Ravens. Despite the way the Chiefs actually made us all feel during the game, the reality is that they got their butts kicked on most snaps. Two snaps – resulting in a blocked punt and an interception – kept them in the game, but the Chiefs ultimately lost because they were not even close to being good enough, as they showed during the majority of the snaps.

So I could not bring myself to paint Sunday’s opener in a positive light. It would have felt wrong, especially after what’s happened the previous three years.

For three seasons, I mostly painted the Chiefs in a starkly positive light. Most readers appreciated it. Looking back, there’s no question it was a mistake. Not only do I feel ignorant for writing some of the things I did during the Herm Edwards “era,” but I feel I cheated Chiefs fans out of the truth.

Let me give you a sampling of this garbage:

• October 14, 2006 (http://kan.scout.com/2/579155.html) - It’s clear to me that Edwards is a definite improvement over Vermeil. He’s a complete coach, and it will serve Kansas City well in the future. The rebuilding of KC’s offense has already begun. Edwards has his handpicked offensive coordinator to facilitate the transition. Mike Solari and Edwards go way back.

How?!?! How could I write such terrible things? Is it what you wanted to hear? No question. Was it the truth? Not even close. I owe Dick Vermeil an apology.

• November 6, 2007 (http://kan.scout.com/2/698492.html) - The Chiefs were ahead 22-16 at the end of this magnificent stretch of football, Arrowhead got to its feet and 80,000 people believed the Chiefs would beat the Green Bay Packers, the team with the best record in the NFC… If the Chiefs continue to play as they did within those 10 minutes, the AFC West Division championship is as good as theirs.

Division champions? Really? The Chiefs finished 4-12. Ouch.

• April 18, 2008 (http://kan.scout.com/2/747657.html) - If Allen is traded for a bounty of draft picks, we should believe Edwards can build KC’s franchise with those resources. We should get behind Herm in his effort to replace Allen and reconstruct the Chiefs’ pass rush as he sees fit.

I bet you loved hearing that Herm was going to magically make everything better after the Chiefs traded Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4176250). We probably should have seen the writing on the wall at that point. Allen’s trade and the downfall of KC’s pass rush only expedited Herm’s eventual firing.

I’m embarrassed beyond belief. Do you want to read the passage wherein I hypothesize that Gunther Cunningham might construct a pass rush (http://kan.scout.com/2/726011.html) akin to the attack the 2007 New York Giants possessed? Sounds great, but it’s not grounded in reality. Cunningham is in Detroit, constructing another terrible defense (the Lions gave up 515 yard to the Saints Sunday – and no, they didn’t sack Drew Brees (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347310)).

Reality is what we must deal with. Not fantasy, pie-in-the-sky optimism, or a hope for the future based upon a couple of fluke plays. The reality of Sunday’s opener in Baltimore is that the Chiefs are no better than they were a year ago, and in some ways they are easily worse.

The Chiefs gave up 501 yards to the Ravens Sunday. Not once did the 2008 Chiefs even come close to allowing 500 yards to an opposing team. They faced juggernauts of offensive might – the Saints, Chargers, Broncos, Falcons and Patriots – and none of them came close. Even with Bernard Pollard (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307543) on the field!

The 2009 Chiefs began their campaign in a way that reminded me of another Chiefs team. The 1995 Chiefs finished 13-3 and had home-field advantage in the playoffs. How did they get to that point? The same way the 2009 Chiefs almost beat the Baltimore Ravens – a streak of incredible luck.

Almost every other week, it seemed the 1995 Chiefs won a game because of an improbable highlight play. They beat the Raiders on a 64-yard interception return by James Hasty. They beat the Chargers on an 86-yard punt return by Tamarick Vanover. They beat the Oilers on a 34-yard fumble return by Mark Collins.

The 1995 Chiefs were not nearly as good as their record indicated, and it showed when they reached the playoffs. You all remember what happened. Lin Elliot was involved, and a mediocre Colts team exposed the Chiefs as a fraudulent first seed.

The 1995 Chiefs were a fun team to watch, but in the end they weren’t good enough, and the end result was heartbreaking. Just like Sunday’s game.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

keg in kc
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Luckily you have 15 more weeks to vacillate.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
How could he write that? He is a clueless hack.... duh.

Basileus777
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM
A mighty dose of self-ether.

notorious
09-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Props on calling your own goofs. It's nice to see somebody take responsibility on their own bad predictions.

Good Job GoChiefs.

Bearcat
09-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Good article. It'll always be a no-win, because had you written the knee-jerk reaction, there would have been plenty of people waiting to talk about how idiotic it is to think much of anything besides the score with 5 min to go looked very good. Guess it's better to leave the homers angry though, since you'll at least have a decent argument to stand on.

I was just comparing it to the 2003 team earlier, but at least they lost to a good Colts team...

DumbHillbillies
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
It seems some Chiefs fans aren’t quite ready to accept the reality that this year’s Chiefs team might actually be worse than the 2-14 squad that stunk up Arrowhead Stadium a year ago. When I presented that reality following Sunday’s loss in Baltimore, the backlash was furious.

But but... how can this be if 22 guys of the street can go 2-14.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
If this wasn't the same hack that said 'now' he was going to give us the 'real' scoop because the Chiefs took away his press pass, I would be more impressed.

As it is, he looks like a petulant child that is griping about the new sheriff in town because the new sheriff shut down his counterfit magazine operation.

If Herm and CP were still here and these jokes still had a press pass would we be reading this, or would it be... the Chiefs were so close, and this and that?

It still seems agenda driven.

Here is the funny part.... do they think the Chiefs are going to cave under the pressure from WIPE?

Nick: So, Pioli, what's it going to be, am I getting a press pass, or am I gonna have to write about how horrible you are in trouncing the Raiders?

Pioli: Who are you again?

Nick: Nick Athan

Pioli: Nick 'Assclown' Athan.... man, I thought you were just a urban myth. Hey, how did that Mike Shannahan thing work out for you?

Nick: Fine, you will 'rue' the day.... rue it, I say. I am going to be a famous playright one day..... Whitlock and I are working on "Egoli".... the musical.....and you will

click...click..... bzzzzzzz

Nick: Hello? Hello?

LaChapelle
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Being optimistic does not equal stupid
Being pessimistic does not equal smart
Having a larger sample to examine would at east be fair.

JD10367
09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Making any snap judgements after one game is just folly and stupidity. The Patriots got creamed by Buffalo, something like 31-0, in the first game of '04 with Milloy as a Bill after being cut by New England that week. Brady threw, like, four picks. The Pats won the Super Bowl that year. in '07, the Giants started 0-2, and finished a "meh" 10-6, and won the Super Bowl. You can't judge a team by Game One, especially a team playing its backup QB, especially a team playing on the road, against a voracious D, against a team that was in the AFC Championship Game last season.

The jury is out on the Chiefs, because the jury is out on the Ravens. Was their 500 yards of O a fluke? Or will they be an offensive powerhouse? Has Flacco now blossomed, or is he still a "game manager" QB who has no business helping generate 500 yards of offense? Well, last season, Baltimore was in the middle of the AFC pack ranking 8th in YPG (324), which was better than both Tennessee and Pittsburgh. Point-wise, last season, the Ravens were 4th in the AFC in points per game, better than Indy, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh. I think there's a knee-jerk reaction to say, "Ugh, Baltimore's offense sucks, how can the Chiefs be that bad?!?"

Now, the Raiders are not the Ravens. So the Chiefs should NOT be giving up 500 yards of offense this week, especially to JaFatass Russell. But we don't know if the Raiders are for real or not, either. They played San Diego tough. But, hey, maybe San Diego's not for real. It's sort of hard to have serious discussions about how bad a team might suck, this early in the year.

You know when you'll know if the 2008 Chiefs are worse than the 2007 Chiefs? Around Christmastime.

Hammock Parties
09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
If this wasn't the same hack that said 'now' he was going to give us the 'real' scoop because the Chiefs took away his press pass, I would be more impressed.

You're confusing me with Nick. I'm not Nick.

Gonzo
09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
An extremely safe opinion GoChiefs. Congratulations on being so "edgie" sir.

It's far easier to print a "I'm and idiot, they are really good" style article than the blind homer, "they suck after I said they'd win 8 games" style article.
Posted via Mobile Device

ModSocks
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Making any snap judgements after one game is just folly and stupidity. The Patriots got creamed by Buffalo, something like 31-0, in the first game of '04 with Milloy as a Bill after being cut by New England that week. Brady threw, like, four picks. The Pats won the Super Bowl that year. in '07, the Giants started 0-2, and finished a "meh" 10-6, and won the Super Bowl. You can't judge a team by Game One, especially a team playing its backup QB, especially a team playing on the road, against a voracious D, against a team that was in the AFC Championship Game last season.

The jury is out on the Chiefs, because the jury is out on the Ravens. Was their 500 yards of O a fluke? Or will they be an offensive powerhouse? Has Flacco now blossomed, or is he still a "game manager" QB who has no business helping generate 500 yards of offense? Well, last season, Baltimore was in the middle of the AFC pack ranking 8th in YPG (324), which was better than both Tennessee and Pittsburgh. Point-wise, last season, the Ravens were 4th in the AFC in points per game, better than Indy, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh. I think there's a knee-jerk reaction to say, "Ugh, Baltimore's offense sucks, how can the Chiefs be that bad?!?"

Now, the Raiders are not the Ravens. So the Chiefs should NOT be giving up 500 yards of offense this week, especially to JaFatass Russell. But we don't know if the Raiders are for real or not, either. They played San Diego tough. But, hey, maybe San Diego's not for real. It's sort of hard to have serious discussions about how bad a team might suck, this early in the year.

You know when you'll know if the 2008 Chiefs are worse than the 2007 Chiefs? Around Christmastime.

this.

People are snapping judgment waaaay to quick.

what i find funny is that people (especially this board) are so quick to judge and breakdown each and every play and player on the Chiefs roster, and then just jump to the conclusion that they are terrible. People seem to forget that other teams have issues as well.

After the Chargers/Raiders game, everyone was talking about how we won't be able to stop the Raiders run game and how they looked so good, blah blah blah. But not one person mentioned how terrible the Chargers linebackers and secondary looked. The Linebackers were always out of position and the secondary was awful, the D-Line looked just as bad as ours. If the LB's played there gaps, those long runs never happen. Not to mention how fat and out of shape the Chargers were. The Raiders looked just as poorly conditioned. Hell, Gates use to look like a big WR, now he is so fat he looks like a smallish O-lineman.

But of course, "if the Raiders can do that to the Chargers, what are they going to do to the Chiefs? Oh noesss!!! WERE DOOMED!"

If some of you (not going to mention names) would breakdown other teams the same way you breakdown the Chiefs, you'll find that they aren't nearly as bad as people act like they are when compared to other teams.

And to you GoChiefs, how can you seriously say the Chiefs may be worse? No one expected the Ravens to come out slinging and be as aggressive as they were. Todd Haley even admitted that they game planned for the run, not the pass. And we all know the D is a work in progress, how would any defense fare if they were working with an offense that couldn't do anything? Should i remind you of the worse game ever played? 2008 week 2 vs the Raiders? God, that was awful. At least the D adjusted and slowed them down the rest of the game, something we never saw in the Edwards era. Same for the O. You can tell Haley was playing close the the vest. He didn't open it up until the end of the game. A learning experience for a first year head coach.

We're going to be fine, and better than last year. UH, Rant Over. Sorry.

Hammock Parties
09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
After the Chargers/Raiders game, everyone was talking about how we won't be able to stop the Raiders run game and how they looked so good, blah blah blah. But not one person mentioned how terrible the Chargers linebackers and secondary looked. The Linebackers were always out of position and the secondary was awful, the D-Line looked just as bad as ours.

San Diego had a terrible defense last year.

At least the D adjusted and slowed them down the rest of the game

You've got to be kidding me.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Meh. We'll see.

ModSocks
09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
San Diego had a terrible defense last year.

You've got to be kidding me.

How are you going to tell me they didn't adjust? Yeah, they fell apart at the end, but at least they adjusted. Something they rarely did before.

ModSocks
09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
And our Linebackers may not have been in the perfect position every snap, but they were a lot closer to the ball then the Chargers were in the Raiders game.

The Chiefs looked just as untalented, but much more disciplined then they ever were last year

Hammock Parties
09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
How are you going to tell me they didn't adjust? Yeah, they fell apart at the end, but at least they adjusted. Something they rarely did before.

I don't know if they adjusted or not. But they didn't slow anyone down.

Mr. Laz
09-17-2009, 05:42 PM
It seems some Chiefs fans aren’t quite ready to accept the reality that this year’s Chiefs team might actually be worse than the 2-14 squad that stunk up Arrowhead Stadium a year ago.

Omg, eat shit ... seriously.

milkman
09-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I got about halfway through that useless tripe before I realized I didn't need you to tell me that you've been a dumbass for years.

I've been telling you for years that you're a dumbass.

MahiMike
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
You thought Herm was an upgrade over Vermiel?

BWAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAA!!!!!

Taco John
09-17-2009, 06:54 PM
That was actually a really good read.

RippedmyFlesh
09-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't know if they adjusted or not. But they didn't slow anyone down.
If nothing else they are better coached this year. At least you have to concede that.

T-post Tom
09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Hindsight might be 20/20, but no need to mask revisionist history as a mea culpa.

Infidel Goat
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
The Rangers are going to play as many postseason games as the Royals this year!

WhitiE
09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
were all a bunch of idiots..... what do you want from us?

Hammock Parties
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
The Rangers are going to play as many postseason games as the Royals this year!

Dear god. We had a LEGITIMATE chance at the playoffs this year and go and blow it by getting swept in Oakland.

KILL ME.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Well hindsight is always 20/20. we're all buying in to Pioli/Haley now. What will be the conception in two more years. We're all homers. If not then go away.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2009, 09:11 PM
If nothing else they are better coached this year. At least you have to concede that.

That roster should have been dog-kicked 2008 Buffalo-style. It wasn't.

That's Haley. A little Pioli on the personnel side, but mostly? Haley.

tonyetony
09-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Rewrite in 3 weeks please.

tonyetony
09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe 6 weeks now that I think about it.

Slainte
09-18-2009, 05:09 AM
The 1995 Chiefs were not nearly as good as their record indicated, and it showed when they reached the playoffs. You all remember what happened. the kicker that shall go unnamed was involved, and a mediocre Colts team exposed the Chiefs as a fraudulent first seed.

For the record, what what was exposed that day was the Hackett/Schottenheimer Offensive Juggernaut theory. Blame a sub-par talented team, Elliott, whatever. If the braintrust hadn't taken the game out of Marcus Allen's hands and tried to force it onto an injured Steve Bono in inclement weather, they would've gotten out of there with a win...

Inspector
09-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Outstanding writing talent. One of the best sports articles I have ever read. Keep up the great work!
:clap:

Christofire
09-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Being optimistic does not equal stupid
Being pessimistic does not equal smart
Having a larger sample to examine would at east be fair.

Well said. And, I might add this: being the loudest doesn't make you the most right.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
09-18-2009, 07:31 AM
For the record, what what was exposed that day was the Hackett/Schottenheimer Offensive Juggernaut theory. Blame a sub-par talented team, Elliott, whatever. If the braintrust hadn't taken the game out of Marcus Allen's hands and tried to force it onto an injured Steve Bono in inclement weather, they would've gotten out of there with a win...

Hallelujah.

That playoff game in 1995 was the game that showed the world that MartyBall™ and "smashmouth" weren't exactly synonymous.

Of course, MartyBall™ was deeply rooted in smashmouth. But the unique touch that Marty added was the ability to completely abandon his gameplan when it was LEAST needed. You play to lose the game.

From the inexplicable use of the prevent defense, to throwing the ball 3 out of every 4 plays in the 2nd half of a game that you had dominated on the ground, Marty never found a playoff game he couldn't lose.

Mile High Mania
09-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Well, to the fans of WPI... if Nick admitting to "holding back" information to the premium subscribers wasn't enough to convince you that you're wasting money, here is Clayton admitting that he has a track record of showcasing that he has no more of a clue than the average fan does when it comes to the Chiefs.

Bravo! Get your checks in fast for that renewal!!