PDA

View Full Version : Football St. Joe Rivals cooperate on touchdown for player with Down syndrome

BigRedChief
09-18-2009, 07:20 AM
You just don't see enough of good sports stories like this.

Rivals cooperate on touchdown for player with Down syndrome

http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1452971.html
By RYAN YOUNG
The Kansas City Star
ST. JOSEPH | Matt Ziesel doesn’t stray far from coach Dan McCamy on the sidelines during St. Joseph Benton High School’s freshman football games. He likes to stay within earshot.

“I’m ready, Coach. … Coach, I’m ready,” Ziesel says.McCamy says he hears it about 10 times a game, and also at practices, from Ziesel, his 5-foot-3, 110-pound running back.

So in the final stages of Benton’s third game of the season on Monday at Maryville, McCamy decided it was time for Ziesel — a 15-year-old freshman with Down syndrome — to make his season debut.
With about 10 seconds left in the game, and Benton trailing 46-0, McCamy called his final timeout, told an assistant coach to organize the team for the “Matt play” and ran across the field to the Maryville defensive huddle — and to some puzzled looks from the opposing players.
“I’ve got a special situation,” McCamy remembers telling Maryville freshman defensive coach David McEnaney. “I know you guys want to get a shutout. Most teams would want a shutout, but in this situation I want to know if maybe you can let one of my guys run in for a touchdown.”
Several days have passed since Ziesel chugged more than 60 yards down a sideline for his first high school touchdown — but the buzz hasn’t.
The YouTube clip McCamy posted Tuesday morning had received more than 1,500 hits as of Thursday night. The e-mails and messages of support also have been rolling in all week — to McCamy as well as the Ziesel family.

“It’s just amazing how one play can mean so much to one kid and then to a team and then to a community,” McCamy said Thursday after practice. “And now it’s spread not just to the community of St. Joseph, but now it’s spread across the region. How something so simple can impact so many — to me, that’s the amazing part about it.”

Mike Ziesel, Matt’s dad, a longtime high school coach and the athletic director at Benton, was standing near the top of the bleachers Monday when a spectator told him it looked like Matt was about to enter the game. His wife, Patty, was at home. She hadn’t planned on Matt actually getting on the field Monday.

Neither had McCamy. As he headed across the field to talk to McEnaney, McCamy wasn’t sure what the reaction would be. He asked the players to avoid physical contact with Ziesel but to make it as real as possible for him.

“The (Maryville) players, they didn’t hesitate at all,” McEnaney said. “They jumped right on board.”

And so Matt Ziesel ran a sweep to the right and just kept going. This time, it was McCamy making sure he was close enough to be heard — running down the sideline alongside Matt, yelling as loud as he could.
“Come on, Matty! They’re coming!” McCamy yelled, making the play as real as possible for Ziesel.

Benton lost Monday’s game 46-6, but those six points made a bigger impact than McCamy could have ever imagined.

“It’s not necessarily about winning or losing,” said McCamy, a second-year coach who played college football at Missouri. “Obviously up in Maryville we lost the game. The end result, we lost the game, but when we went away, we were all kind of winners.”
After he posted the touchdown video on YouTube on Tuesday morning, McCamy sent the link to the Ziesels, so Patty could see her son’s first high school score, and to five fellow Benton coaches.

From there the highlight and the emotions it stirred just kept spreading.
“I don’t know that I (have) gotten one comment from somebody who said they didn’t cry” after watching the video, Patty Ziesel said.
Mike Ziesel, who coached boys basketball for 19 years, said what made him most proud was the way the rest of the players embraced the opportunity.

“It was just a good thing to see people realize that the value of winning is not (as) important as it is to participate and enjoy the game,” Mike Ziesel said.

Said McEnaney, who co-coaches the Maryville freshman team with Jordan Moree: “It just kind of takes you back to what it all really should be about.”

The truth is, Patty Ziesel had reservations about Matt joining the football team. And after she had taken him for the mandatory physical, she received a call from his pediatrician.

“When they got the report that said he was playing football, the pediatrician’s office said, ‘We just want you to know that (the doctor) doesn’t approve of him playing football,’ ” she recalled. “I said: ‘Well, neither do I, but here’s the deal: He wants to be part of the team, and he will be part of the team.’ ”

To minimize the danger, Matt doesn’t take part in full-contact drills at practices, and on his touchdown run he raced untouched as players from both teams trailed along.

Standing next to Matt on Thursday after practice, Patty said she hoped the players on both teams understood how important Monday’s touchdown — and their roles in it — were for her son.
McCamy is sure they do.

“Some of them get it now, but in due time all these kids who were a part of it will have a better understanding,” McCamy said. “When they grow up and they get older, everybody will realize the impact that maybe that play (has) had — not just on that kid’s life, because Matt will remember that forever — but on some of these other kids and what they may have been a part of.”

<HR class=infobox-hr-separator>@ Go to KansasCity.com for a photo gallery and video of Matt Ziesel’s memorable touchdown.
http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=6217426

cookster50
09-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Nice

seclark
09-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Nice

very.
sec

Toadkiller
09-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Fricken allergies.

seclark
09-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Fricken allergies.

bug's in my eye over here.
sec

jwazzie
09-18-2009, 07:54 AM
I have a child with downs, and these stories give me hope that there are still kind people out there. Kuddos.

Kylo Ren
09-18-2009, 07:56 AM
It's a good lesson for those HS boys. There are more important things in life than a game or football or sports or........... self.

Iowanian
09-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Good Story. I like that as much as the wrestler who let a kid with downs pin him.

That, was a learning opportunity for alot of people.

tmax63
09-18-2009, 08:07 AM
I gives you hope. Every time you get to thinking that the "next" generation is worthless and it's all going down the toilet they turn around and do something like this and remind us not everyone/everything has gone to hell in a handbasket.

sparkky
09-18-2009, 08:09 AM
very nice touch all the way around.
it is encouraging to once and awhile see something unselfish in today's "me" world.

kudos to the opposing team, very classy move.

kcmaxwell
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
These stories are awesome! I have a cousin with down's, and I cant imagine how excited something like this would get her.

KCFalcon59
09-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Damn onions!!!!!!

Iowanian
09-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Here it is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ylwXOxKb7I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ylwXOxKb7I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Molitoth
09-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Put a tear in my eye. I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Fish
09-18-2009, 08:33 AM
That little jump over the goal line did me in.....

Very cool story.

kepp
09-18-2009, 08:34 AM
“When they got the report that said he was playing football, the pediatrician’s office said, ‘We just want you to know that (the doctor) doesn’t approve of him playing football,’ ” she recalled. “I said: ‘Well, neither do I, but here’s the deal: He wants to be part of the team, and he will be part of the team.’ ”

Good parents.

MMXcalibur
09-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Personally, I'm a bit pissed off.
I took Maryville (-45) on an 8-game parlay and would have picked up $2,000....but nooooooooooooo.....

vailpass
09-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Beautiful.

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Damn allergies are flaring up.

Demonpenz
09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow that kid is a freshman? Good for him. The Z family has always been good to me.

Reaper16
09-18-2009, 10:58 AM
We're good people in Maryville.

The Franchise
09-18-2009, 11:01 AM
PRINT EM!

Demonpenz
09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
We're good people in Maryville.

shit if it was spoofhounds varsity team they would have held him up and stripped the ball

Reaper16
09-18-2009, 11:08 AM
shit if it was spoofhounds varsity team they would have held him up and stripped the ball
Then everyone at Burney's would be joking about how much the down syndrome kid sucked.

alpha_omega
09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Great story!

Demonpenz
09-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Then everyone at Burney's would be joking about how much the down syndrome kid sucked.

naw, note on the door at burny's "burny's golfing at mozingo, come back later, pay last nites tabs too, bearcat bucks NOT accepted"

salame
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
that was very touching

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
**** that, I would have laid his ass out Terry Tate style.

You don't **** with a shutout. WOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
“It’s not necessarily about winning or losing,” said McCamy.

Well the score obviously proves that. This coach needs to be fired for being a loser. If winning isn't your #1 and ultimate goal, then he needs to go. I'd can his ass if I were the AD. Losing would not be tolerated.

BigCatDaddy
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Well the score obviously proves that. This coach needs to be fired for being a loser. If winning isn't your #1 and ultimate goal, then he needs to go. I'd can his ass if I were the AD. Losing would not be tolerated.

LOL. He is just the Freshman coach, but yeah Benton Football is now more about appeasing the masses then winning.

Jim Jones
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Now that is one carry has gone for a touchdown, he'll probably wonder why he's not in the game more.

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Now that is one carry has gone for a touchdown, he'll probably wonder why he's not in the game more.

I think the kid can learn a valuable lesson about life here.......seriously.

See..you can't go thru life cheating...doing things half assed, and accepting handouts all the time.

You see now the kid thinks he's good, and probably thought the score was easier than expected to accomplish. If the coach was a real man....he'd put the kid in the next upcoming game, and not inform the defense of the subsitution.

Then run the sweep to this kid...........then sit back and watch.

Braincase
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
That's cool.

The Franchise
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
....he'd put the kid in the game, and not inform the defense of the subsitution.

Then run the sweep to this kid...........then sit back and watch.

This is what happened to you....isn't it?

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
This is what happened to you....isn't it?

LOL

Brock
09-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Idiot.

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Idiot.

I guess it's apparent that you like to lose.

Rain Man
09-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I wonder if the youtube clip didn't show the kid running over and trash-talking the defense after that.

While it's nice, I always wonder too in these situations if there's some nondescript, non-Downs 3rd stringer who worked his tail off all year and never got in a game, and he has to watch that from the sidelines.

MMXcalibur
09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I guess it's apparent that you like to lose.

Well, we are Chiefs fans. :)

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder if the youtube clip didn't show the kid running over and trash-talking the defense after that.

While it's nice, I always wonder too in these situations if there's some nondescript, non-Downs 3rd stringer who worked his tail off all year and never got in a game, and he has to watch that from the sidelines.

Its early in the season. Its not like this was the last game.

Rain Man
09-18-2009, 12:26 PM

His main problem is recruiting. If he had 7 more kids with Downs Syndrome, he could've won this game.

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 12:30 PM
His main problem is recruiting. If he had 7 more kids with Downs Syndrome, he could've won this game.

ROFL

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes2/AceVenturaPetDectective21.jpg

Just put me in coach....I'm ready to play!

joesomebody
09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow... awesome story and video. This one got to me. Reminds me a little of that video of that father that runs triathlons with his son in a wheelchair. That one got to me too.

Rain Man
09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
This would be a great sketch on Saturday Night Live.

Coach 1: I've got a kid with Down's Syndrome. We're down by 28 points. Would you let him score?

Coach 2: Okay. We can all feel good about ourselves.

(Score, crowd cheers.)

Coach 1: Hey, we have another kid, that one over there. He's got a tumor the size of an Olsen Twin. Would you mind letting him score?

Coach 2: We already let the Down's Syndrome kid score.

Coach 1: Yeah, but this kid has a tumor. And we're still down by 21.

Coach 2: Um, okay, I guess.

(Score, crowd cheers.)

Coach 1: Hey, thanks a lot for that. I really appreciate it. We're still down by 14, and we've got a kid who lost a leg in a shark attack.

Coach 2: A shark attack?

Coach 1: Yeah, hammerhead I think. Anyway, it'd be really nice if we could get him a score.

Coach 2: I've already let you have two scores.

Coach 1: The shark ate his leg right in front of him. Kid's pretty traumatized by it.

Coach 2: Where's the kid?

Coach 1: Uh....over there. Number 31.

Coach 2: Number 31? He's got two legs. I see him jogging over there.

Coach 1: I meant Number 21. They're twins.

Coach 2: Number 21 is your starting halfback. He's been playing the whole game.

Coach 1: Real hero, isn't he? So what do you say? It'd mean a lot to him.