PDA

View Full Version : Life Meanwhile, down on the farm...

oldandslow
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM
As some of you know, my family and I decided to undertake a 100 mile diet this year. The rules are simple. Everything you eat must be grown within 100 miles of where you live. Here is an update...

Overall, we are enjoying the experience, and continue to eat and live in a local, 100 mile manner. For example, this morning we ate eggs from our chickens, homemade biscuits, and watermelon picked yesterday from the garden. My wife has already begun to make apple butter from the apples in our orchard. Nothing better than fresh apple butter on hot, homemade biscuits. For lunch we will have buffalo burgers (I kill a buffalo on the rez every year), potatoes from the garden, and apple pie that we made last PM. The key to the 100 mile diet is intentionality, planning, and, luckily for us, plenty of rainfall throughout the summer.

The summer production from our garden was the best we have probably ever experienced. We still are not finished with the harvest. My wife and I canned nearly 200 quarts of green beans, froze 50 quarts of corn, 20 quarts of peas, and 15 pints of carrots. We have canned 60 quarts of tomato juice and sauce (we are still dealing with tomatoes). I dug 8 bushels of Yukon Gold potatoes and they are stored in the basement. We have a couple of bushels of turnips. We have enjoyed copious amounts of squash, cantaloupe and watermelon. We will soon be canning pumpkin. We have apples galore and will continue to can, dry, store and freeze them, Perhaps, my most surprising success, this summer, however has been with grapes. I planted the vines 3 years ago and they had never produced, even though I followed the mulching, care, and pruning advice given by owners of successful vineyards in South Dakota. Fortunately, the grapes produced abundantly this season. I simply love fresh grape juice and grape jelly.

I will also be honest. The goal of the 100 mile diet has changed over the year. We are not as strict as some (for example, we decided late last spring to enjoy spices, salt, and tea that cannot be produced locally). We also waive “a magic wand” when traveling or visiting others who do not share our convictions. However, we have also decided to continue it indefinitely. Next spring I am going to reenter the “dairy business” and purchase a Dexter cow to milk. We have been buying milk (and making butter) locally, but it would be better if I could produce it. I will also raise a couple of pigs again next summer. I know I would probably live longer if I discontinued eating pork, but to be frank, I love the stuff. The chickens are doing well, but we are also making a change there. Finding young chicken to eat locally has proven to be a chore, so last week we went to a farm auction and purchased an incubator so we can hatch a few throughout the spring, summer, and fall to butcher and eat.

The work that we have undertaken to find a level of self-sufficiency is always being evaluated and reconsidered. It is a journey, not a destination. This, I think, is how it should be. I am sitting out on the porch as I type this and I just heard an apple fall from a tree. A deer will probably end up eating that apple. Eventually, I may say a prayer over that deer when I hunt her this fall. The journey of life is all pervasive. No winner will be crowned. It is enough to simply be a player in the game.

Saulbadguy
09-18-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm going to go eat some Chinese food. See ya.

vailpass
09-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Cool, wish I lived where I could feasibly grow a garden.

Bugeater
09-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately due to those pesky city ordinances, I cannot raise chickens in my back yard.

BigMeatballDave
09-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm going to go eat some Chinese food. See ya.ROFL

NewChief
09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately due to those pesky city ordinances, I cannot raise chickens in my back yard.

Our city now allows up to 3 hens (no roosters) in city limits. Tons and tons of cities are now allowing people to keep hens. Just google "urban chickens" and you can find out how to bring the issue up to city council/ballot.

ChiefJustice
09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Was this posted via telegraph?

vailpass
09-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Our city now allows up to 3 hens (no roosters) in city limits. Tons and tons of cities are now allowing people to keep hens. Just google "urban chickens" and you can find out how to bring the issue up to city council/ballot.

If that isn't a band name now I'm betting it soon will be.

Toadkiller
09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Very admirable. We recently got some backyard chickens and my wife has been canning like crazy. I would love to own a couple of acres and to be able to do what you are doing. One day we will be living that dream.

The Franchise
09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Where in SD do you live?

ChiTown
09-18-2009, 10:09 AM
God bless ya!

That sounds awesome, O & S. I really enjoy your posts. You are a true lover of life.

kepp
09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Wait...you have to PICK watermelons? What if one falls on you're head?

Simply Red
09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
good apple-butter is amazing.

Brock
09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
That's a great life. Start brewing beer and growing some recreational and it's truly complete.

Chiefnj2
09-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Do you feel better after going on the diet?

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm going to go eat some Chinese food. See ya.

ROFL

vailpass
09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
good apple-butter is amazing.

Duck butter is fun to make but probably not good for eating.

Simply Red
09-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Duck butter is fun to make but probably not good for eating.

what is that?

RJ
09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
While I have neither the means nor the desire to grow my own food, I do buy as much produce as I can from local markets. Plain and simple, fresher tastes better. Same with eggs. The locally produced eggs taste better....actually, they even look better when they're frying.

TrebMaxx
09-18-2009, 10:30 AM
what is that?
See also. fumunda cheese ...

MahiMike
09-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Cool stuff. In this economy, we'll all soon be clamoring for farmland. Course, we won't know what to do with it, but still. Thought about moving to Wyoming and raising alpacas or buffalo myself. I remember my ex father-in-law near Springfield, MO. raising cattle. He had a nice life.

Simply Red
09-18-2009, 10:37 AM
See also. fumunda cheese ...

gross

Nero's Neptune
09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
to the original poster:

what part of the country do you live in? and do you and your wife both have full time jobs unrelated to this hobby? It seems that growing all that food and processing it yourself would be extremely time consuming.... do you have time for any other hobbies?

Bugeater
09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
to the original poster:

what part of the country do you live in? and do you and your wife both have full time jobs unrelated to this hobby? It seems that growing all that food and processing it yourself would be extremely time consuming.... do you have time for any other hobbies?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's retired.

Delano
09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
While not everyone has ten acres of suitable land, anyone with a deck and some sunshine can grow a little bit of produce.

Buy some heirloom tomato seed and start it in your window over winter. Plant it in a pot, water it, throw some manure in there, and enjoy fresh tomatos that you grew. Do the same with your favorite herbs.

Support your farmers market and make some connections with small-time sustainable animal producers. The stuff may cost a little more up front but all of it tastes better than what you find in a grocery store.

Delano
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm sure NewPhin has some better suggestions, but if your curiosity with local food is piqued, read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

RJ
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
While not everyone has ten acres of suitable land, anyone with a deck and some sunshine can grow a little bit of produce.

Not me. I am a Killer of Vegetables.

Chiefnj2
09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Support your farmers market and make some connections with small-time sustainable animal producers. The stuff may cost a little more up front but all of it tastes better than what you find in a grocery store.

Stray cats are self sustainable and don't even cost a penny!

LaChapelle
Grinding your own flour sounds like a pain in the ass.

Delano
Not me. I am a Killer of Vegetables.

:)

Delano
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Stray cats are self sustainable and don't even cost a penny!

This is true. The tiger striped cats taste the best, but black cats make better fur clothing.

Simply Red
09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm sure NewPhin has some better suggestions, but if your curiosity with local food is piqued, read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

The maitre 'd at Canal Bar?

Delano
09-18-2009, 11:00 AM
The maitre 'd at Canal Bar?

No, the serial killer. Did you know Kingsolver has a collie named Hooch?

NewChief
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM

That's one of my favorites for sure. Love everything she writes. I recently read Farm City by Novella Carpenter. She's a chick who moved into a ghetto in Oakland and converted an abandoned lot into a full-on farm with garden, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, ducks, goats and eventually pigs.

You can check out her farms' blog here:
http://novellacarpenter.com/

Also for anyone living in the city, or anywhere for that matter, you can google "urban homesteading" and find out about that movement or buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Homestead-Self-sufficient-Process-Self-reliance/dp/1934170011

BigMeatballDave
09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Duck butter is fun to make but probably not good for eating.Did you mean DICK butter? ROFL

oldandslow
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Since the Chiefs were a bit off stride today, and I have nothing to say about letting Russell drive 80 yards on us in the 4rth quarter, I'll answer a couple of questions on this thread.

First, I am not retired, although my work is no where near as demanding as it was when I was a young prof attempting to get tenure. I obviously don't work summers.

I live near Vermillion SD., on approx 40 acres. Part of it is wooded and we heat with wood. In fact I literally split nearly half a rank between the Chiefs' loss and now. It's better than beating the dog.

The diet makes me feel 1000% better. No digestive problems, I haven't been sick in 2 years, and I am maintaining a healthy weight.

This lifestyle isn't for everyone, and I don't claim to be any better than anyone else. There is no one right way to live. However, processing all or most of your own food is time consuming, but what else am I going to do? Watch TV? I find it to be very rewarding.

We believe in a mix of low and high tech. Obviously I use a computer. We have direct TV. But I don't own a cell phone and never will. It's about our family controlling the tech and not the tech controlling our family. We get some of our energy from renewable sources (solar) but I own a truck and tractor that burns fossil fuel.

This was a way for us to find balance.

Great Expectations
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Where do you get your flour for the biscuits?

Bwana
09-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Very cool story. If I wasn't on the road as much as I am, I would love ot do the same thing. I just got done harvesting, cutting, vacuum packing, and freezing a record apple crop myself. The tomatoe planes have also gone crazy this year and I continue to harvesrt those. We eat a lot and save a lot for eating in the winter.

Good stuff.

oldandslow
09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Where do you get your flour for the biscuits?

Farmer up the road grows hard red wheat for the Montana Wheat and Bread Company. I buy from him. We grind our own flour.

btlook1
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Very cool Old and slow. About how many beans did you plant to can so many...our beans didn't do much this year at all. We are still getting tomatoes and canning spaghetti sauce with most of it and lots of salsa. Props to you!!

Great Expectations
09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Thats pretty cool, just not ingesting all the added chemicals has to make you feel better.

tooge
09-24-2009, 12:05 PM
man OnS, you are livin my dream. My wife and I live on 23 acres and my garden gets a little bigger every year. We can and process a bit more every year as well. More power to ya. I agree that yours is the way it is "supposed" to be. I hope to be half as self sufficient as you guys are in a few years. Keep on.

salame
09-24-2009, 12:21 PM
what's it like to kill a buffalo

loochy
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Where do you get sugar for the pie? And baking soda for the biscuits. Holy crap this must take a lot of planning.