PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The postion group that will cost KC the most wins this year is...

donkhater
09-18-2009, 12:26 PM
...the linebackers.

I've thought about it and I think we are going to see replay after replay of what we saw in Baltimore this season. Teams will line up and try to run on us. Some will be successful, but others really won't have to do much. On 3rd down as long as they are 3rd and 6 or shorter, the QB will be able to just sit back there and wait for a RB or TE to break free.

In a 3-4, the LBs are responsible, generally, for providing the rush, and the LB's are responsbile for coverage out of the backfield. Our group (save for maybe Vrabel) sucks at both. Hence, this problem of getting off the field and wearing down at the end will be a weekly theme, I'm afraid.

One way to combat this would be to have a solid running attack to help in the time of possesion, but given the weakness of the O-line and LJ's CLEAR regression, I'm not holding my breath.

ModSocks
09-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Probably. The O-Line will improve as the season progresses. Haley will find ways to turn our receivers into playmakers.

The lb's will continue to struggle. What we've seen from Hali already is all we'll ever see from him all season long. Im done watching him. It's the same moves, same result over and over again. Mays will show some flashes, but it's obvious why the pats cut him. Guy is terrible in pass coverage. But, if DJ can step up (i know, we say the same thing every season, and it isn't likely to ever happen) then maybe they can make strides as a unit.

But I agree. I don't really see much of a bright side with that unit.

DJ's left nut
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Does NT count as a position group?

We are so horrifyingly deficient there that the NT slot alone makes the D-line the team's biggest weakness, IMO.

Either Tank gets his !@#$ together or we'll get gouged all season long.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Unlike some, I don't think any one position group is so 'horrible' that we couldn't win with it.... but the overall talent on the team is low in many areas. Cornerback, kicker, punter, and, I think, QB, are the only position groups that I 'think' are above average.

The offensive line is probably the biggest issue on the offense, but if the Chiefs even had a great full back, then the Chiefs could at least run the ball better.

On defense, I think the LB's are the issue. I am hoping that DJ got his stuff together now and will start and pay attention. That will help.

I like Hali as an OLB... he played a good game. On the other side, Vrabel is just too old. He had trouble playing his outside responsibilities and struggled to get pressure. Hali actually faced quite a few double teams. I was surprised, but apparently Harbaugh didn't really have anone else he was worried about.

I think one more stud ILB....err... one stud ILB would completely change the complexion of this defense. A guy that could play sideline to sideline that doesn't miss tackles.

Mr. Laz
09-18-2009, 01:38 PM
LB's > Oline

B_Ambuehl
09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
It wouldn't matter if the linebackers were good. Pendergast couldn't coach the Chiefs D of the mid 90's.

Get used to giving up a lot of big plays like he did at the end of the game last week. The problem with Pendergast is he has nothing to call his own. He tries to run a little of this, a little of that, zero coverage, cover 4......It generally results in his defenses giving up a lot of big plays and points.

Buehler445
09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
LB's > Oline

Slowly bleeding out from a knife wound>burning to death.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
What? I thought we were playing a game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quesadilla Joe
09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
RB

RealSNR
09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Does NT count as a position group?

We are so horrifyingly deficient there that the NT slot alone makes the D-line the team's biggest weakness, IMO.

Either Tank gets his !@#$ together or we'll get gouged all season long.Tank made a few good plays against Baltimore. They don't cancel out the other 50-some snaps of no push, no pressure, and no springing free certain mismatches. But he made plays.

The LBs did jack shit against Baltimore.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 01:58 PM
It wouldn't matter if the linebackers were good. Pendergast couldn't coach the Chiefs D of the mid 90's.

Get used to giving up a lot of big plays like he did at the end of the game last week. The problem with Pendergast is he has nothing to call his own. He tries to run a little of this, a little of that, zero coverage, cover 4......It generally results in his defenses giving up a lot of big plays and points.

This to infinity. I was willing to see what he could bring, but he is FAIL. My Card football buddy told me, "you're gonna' see for yourself", and damned if he wasn't right.

Clancy( WTF is up with our D-Coords and the goofy names? )is teh suck.

We might as well get one more goofy-named D-Coord in Romeo at the end of this season and see if the third time is indeed the charm.
If not, hire somebody named "Joe".

RealSNR
09-18-2009, 02:01 PM
This to infinity. I was willing to see what he could bring, but he is FAIL. My Card football buddy told me, "you're gonna' see for yourself", and damned if he wasn't right.

Clancy( WTF is up with our D-Coords and the goofy names? )is teh suck.

We might as well get one more goofy-named D-Coord in Romeo at the end of this season and see if the third time is indeed the charm.
If not, hire somebody named "Joe".Kurt Schottenheimer? :D

Sorry. I should be shot.

MichaelH
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Well the good news is it won't be the coaching this year. I hope.

ct
09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
O-Line.

next...

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Probably. The O-Line will improve as the season progresses.

I disagree.

Mike Goff will not improve. Rudy Niswanger, the worst starting center in the NFL, will not improve. Ndukwe, who's better suited at guard and started 15 games at guard last year, may improve. Brian Waters, who's on the back side of his career, will not improve.

The only guy I think will improve is Albert, and he's clearly taken a step-backward in his development for various reason.

The only chance this line has to improve is if Alleman replaces Goff and if O'Callaghan is better than Ndudwe at right tackle.

Otherwise, these QB's are in for a long, long year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Kurt Schottenheimer? :D

Sorry. I should be shot.

I wouldn't mind giving the Offensive-minded side of that family tree a shot, but he's firmly ensconced in Rex-Ville and doesn't even need a job.

talastan
09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
RB

I could see why you'd think that after all, your team is composed of like 53 of them. :rolleyes: