PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Biggs: Chiefs find a bargain in Mike Brown...

DaWolf
09-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Biggs: Chiefs find a bargain in Mike Brown (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Chiefs-find-a-bargain-in-Mike-Brown.html)

It’s early, far too early, but if Kansas City Chiefs safety Mike Brown can remain healthy, he just might be the best bargain no one wanted in free agency.

That’s according to one defensive coordinator who watched tape of his Kansas City debut Sunday at Baltimore. Brown made a game-high 12 tackles with eight solos, according to press box statistics.
“He looked like the Mike Brown of old, I mean a long ways back,” the coach said. “I’m sitting there watching it and I’m saying to my assistant, ‘What a steal.’ He made some big hits and he was just all over the field. They used him at strong and they used him at free.

“We just have to see if he can stay healthy.”

That’s if Brown can stay healthy. The second-round draft pick from Nebraska in 2000 played in 15 games for the Chicago Bears last season but battled some calf muscle issues in the closing weeks. The previous four seasons were difficult as a list of serious lower body injuries kept him out of 43 regular-season games.

Kansas City coach Todd Haley signed Brown to a $900,000, one-year contract in late June, and he was used sparingly in preseason with an eye toward keeping him fresh. It caught many off guard that the club tried to trade strong safety Bernard Pollard to make room for Brown, 31. When the Chiefs couldn’t find a taker, they released Pollard. Now, it’s up to Brown to stay on the field.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I knew he'd turn it on when the regular season started.

Bernard who?

DaWolf
09-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm trying to think of who would be watching KC tape this week. It's probably either the Raiders DC or the Chargers DC (they play the Ravens this week) or the Ravens DC reviewing the game tape...

Red Coater
09-18-2009, 01:26 PM
he made a lot of plays for the bears back in the day. 31 is getting up in age though. but lets see how much he gots in the tank.

Mr. Laz
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
"if he remains healthy ..... "

hasn't that always been the main problem?

Quesadilla Joe
09-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I watched all of the Bears' games from last year and Mike Brown always showed up. He still has plenty left in the tank.... If he can stay healthy of course.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Bernard who?

STAY down, bitch! :fire:

BigVE
09-18-2009, 01:39 PM
On the other hand "if he remains healthy ..... " applies to EVERY NFL player.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
On the other hand "if he remains healthy ..... " applies to EVERY NFL player.

More so to a guy that's missed 44 out of the last 80 games coming into this season.

Titty Meat
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
He played 15 games last year. All good safeties get hurt Polamalu, Sanders, ect.

Hootie
09-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey...if he stays healthy...bonus!

If not, can't say we all didn't expect it.

Hydrae
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Kansas City coach Todd Haley signed Brown to a $900,000, one-year contract in late June...

Wow, head coach, offensive coordinator, QB coach and now involved in the front office as well (I won't call it GM, we know better). Haley can do everything!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Wow, head coach, offensive coordinator, QB coach and now involved in the front office as well (I won't call it GM, we know better). Haley can do everything!

The price was right. Carl would have given him 2.5 million and four to five years.

Four to five long, injury-filled years...

SenselessChiefsFan
09-18-2009, 03:23 PM
It was still so stupid to release Pollard. Brown has a ton of injury issues, and it isn't like this team has to make cap room for anyone.

Good ST player and backup if nothing else. We will regret cutting him if Brown goes down.

Mr. Laz
09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
It was still so stupid to release Pollard. Brown has a ton of injury issues, and it isn't like this team has to make cap room for anyone.

Good ST player and backup if nothing else. We will regret cutting him if Brown goes down.Apparently they think that DeJuan Morgan has potential and Pollard doesn't. This administration doesn't believe in holding on to mediocre players because they are too scared to move on.

We'll see what happens.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Morgan > Pollard

Better tackler, better athlete.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Apparently they think that DeJuan Morgan has potential and Pollard doesn't. This administration doesn't believe in holding on to mediocre players because they are too scared to move on.

We'll see what happens.

That is a good point. I didn't think about Morgan... but so far, I haven't seen much from him. I just think Pollard would have been much better situationally and if Brown gets hurt.

I hope Brown makes it the whole season and it is never and issue. But, that hasn't happened in the last five years.

OnTheWarpath15
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Apparently they think that DeJuan Morgan has potential and Pollard doesn't. This administration doesn't believe in holding on to mediocre players because they are too scared to move on.

We'll see what happens.

For the most part, I agree.

The day Mike Goff is either the backup LG, or cut altogether, I'll agree completely.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Morgan > Pollard

Maybe long term... but for this year.... dissagree. But, this is not the first time I have dissagreed with you, and I doubt it will be the last.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2009, 03:36 PM

The day Mike Goff is either the backup LG, or cut altogether, I'll agree completely.

As awful as he is, Niswanger's worse IMO.

And Haley says there are no sacred cows.

:rolleyes:

Stewie
09-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Good ST player and backup if nothing else. We will regret cutting him if Brown goes down.

Because Pollard has SO many offers from other teams. :rolleyes:

The dude has to be sitting by his phone like a girl with the prom two weeks away.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Because Pollard has SO many offers from other teams. :rolleyes:

The dude has to be sitting by his phone like a girl with the prom two weeks away.

We'll see how long that lasts. Remember, he has been a starter for two years, he is most weighing his options.

He is free to go anywhere he wants, so he can give it until October or so to see if there are any injuries... and still get a full year towards his pension.

I am not saying he should be the starter, just saying he would be a better option as a backup.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2009, 03:46 PM
We'll see how long that lasts. Remember, he has been a starter for two years, he is most weighing his options.

He is free to go anywhere he wants, so he can give it until October or so to see if there are any injuries... and still get a full year towards his pension.

I am not saying he should be the starter, just saying he would be a better option as a backup.

Have you ever watched a Chiefs game?

SenselessChiefsFan
09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Have you ever watched a Chiefs game?

Several....um...like everyone for the last 20 years. I think the only game I missed was the Vikings game that the Chiefs lost in 2003. And, I had it tivo'd, but couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing.

RedThat
09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Morgan > Pollard

This I agree. I think they should give him a shot. Why are they playing Page?

Christofire
09-18-2009, 03:54 PM
This is what I'm talking about in that other thread. Behind-the-scenes insight from other d-coords? That's what hardcore fans want to read. Nice.

RedThat
09-18-2009, 03:55 PM

We'll see what happens.

I like the have no fear approach. Take chances, play those cards right, and someday, oneday, they'll be rewarded.

Mr. Laz
09-18-2009, 03:57 PM

I still don't understand what they are doing with the offensive line. Apparently they don't watch the same film we do.

Niswanger is soooooo bad i am beginning to wonder whether or not he has dirty pictures of Clark Hunt with a male prostitute. Virtually every play Niswanger fails in some aspect. :cuss:

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
He played 15 games last year. All good safeties get hurt Polamalu, Sanders, ect.

Pollard didn't.

And shut up.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
This I agree. I think they should give him a shot. Why are they playing Page?

Experience, production, etc.

I'm sure Morgan will get in there at some point. Just relax, we aren't going to the Super Bowl this year. By the end of the season we'll know who should be starting at safety.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Experience, production, etc.

I'm sure Morgan will get in there at some point. Just relax, we aren't going to the Super Bowl this year. By the end of the season we'll know who should be starting at safety.

Mays or Berry.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Maybe long term... but for this year.... dissagree. But, this is not the first time I have dissagreed with you, and I doubt it will be the last.

Pollard brings absolutely nothing to the table that McGraw doesn't.

notorious
09-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Several....um...like everyone for the last 20 years. I think the only game I missed was the Vikings game that the Chiefs lost in 2003. And, I had it tivo'd, but couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing.

Don't worry. We got royally screwed on a replay call in the 1st half. Kennison fumbled, the ball bounced off a player that was standing OUT OF BOUNDS, ball bounced back onto the field and Minnesota ran it back for a Touchdown. Worse replay call I have seen since the tuck rule.

T-post Tom
09-18-2009, 07:23 PM
You Jackie Brown haters piss off! Pam Grier is one foxy lady...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3BWA1T78WpI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3BWA1T78WpI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
She looks like she could whip Mike Brown's ass, and be foxy doing it!:D

Easy 6
09-18-2009, 07:44 PM

I usually like your takes, but dont here.

McGoo brings far more football IQ, knows how to wrap up a ball carrier & was always valued for his ST play.

Morgan brings the quicks, athleticism & potential...between those 2, surely, they can make up for the loss of 1 Bernard Pollard.

T-post Tom
09-18-2009, 07:44 PM
She looks like she could whip Mike Brown's ass, and be foxy doing it!:D

And he'd enjoy every second of it. Any man would. A woman like that will teach you things about yourself.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
And he'd enjoy every second of it. Any man would. A woman like that will teach you things about yourself.

Yep. Rep.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Pollard brings absolutely nothing to the table that McGraw doesn't.

I would WAAAAAYY rather have Pollard than McGraw! You'll see why before too long.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
I would WAAAAAYY rather have Pollard than McGraw! You'll see why before too long.

"McGob". Send him some Boar Semen.

salame
09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I always really liked mike brown so I hope he can stay upright

Rausch
09-19-2009, 01:50 AM

Bernard who?

Top Mark Collins bidge.

I dare ya'. Be a real contribution...

thebrad84
11-08-2009, 02:13 PM
LMAO

Quesadilla Joe
11-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I watched all of the Bears' games from last year and Mike Brown always showed up. He still has plenty left in the tank.... If he can stay healthy of course.

Well this prediction didn't turn out well.o:-)

irishjayhawk
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM
ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2009, 03:31 PM
This thread brought to you by FAIL INC.

KCChiefsMan
11-08-2009, 03:36 PM
f*cking Touchdown Mike Brown

KCrockaholic
11-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Your other prediction will come to conclusion tomorrow night...Check my sig :). But I have to admit, I was wrong about the Bengals this year....

EyePod
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM

No problem. We all thought he would be good. Then he became really slow, forgot how to tackle, took bad angles, and couldn't cover anyone. What are the odds that he forgets everything at once?

Agent V
11-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh balls.

Stinger
11-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Bernard who?

TaGoChiefs strikes again. :doh!:

Red Beans
11-08-2009, 04:23 PM
He looked like a turd today.

DumbHillbillies
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Can we get our money back from this bargain. I'm sure everyone would be willing to pay the restocking fee.

chiefs1111
11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Mike Brown needs to retire and start collecting his Social Security...

KChiefs1
11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Eric Berry or Taylor Mays come on down, you are the next contestant on the Price is Right.

TEX
11-08-2009, 05:14 PM
You can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of shit - just like Brown.

KChiefs1
11-08-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/column-mike-brown-takes-the-blame.html

Column: Mike Brown Takes The Blame (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/column-mike-brown-takes-the-blame.html)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH>November 8, 2009 - Bob Gretz | </TH><TH>Comments (6) (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/column-mike-brown-takes-the-blame.html#comments) </TH><TH></TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
From Jacksonville, Florida

It’s too bad that the Chiefs and their fans are seeing the end of Mike Brown’s pro football career.

At the age of 31 and in his 10th NFL season, Brown is struggling on the back line of the Chiefs defense; he has been all season. But never more so than what happened Sunday afternoon against the Jaguars. A missed tackle and a blown coverage provided Jacksonville with a pair of touchdowns. Those were only the most obvious of Brown’s blunders that cost the Chiefs points and a chance to take a winnable game.

“I feel bad, I feel like I cost my team the game,” Brown said. “We only lost this game by three points. It’s easy to see if I had played a better game how we might be enjoying a win today, rather than another loss.”

Mike Brown did not lose this game himself; he had a lot of help from a lot of his teammates and coaches. If Brown plays this game at an All-Pro level there’s a good chance the Chiefs would have still found other ways to lose.

It’s just that right now, the margin of error for the Chiefs is so thin they can’t overcome a bad day from one of their safeties, especially when his poor play leads to a pair of scores.

The first came in the opening quarter when Jaguars RB Rashad Jennings broke through the line of scrimmage and ran 28 yards for a touchdown. Brown had the chance to make the tackle that would have held the run to 10 or 12 yards. But Jennings fought off Brown with a stiff arm and went into the end zone.

“I missed that one; I take responsibility for that,” said Brown. “Those plays are things I cannot do if we are going to win … I had the opportunity to make the tackle and it didn’t happen.”

But the killer came in the second quarter, when Jacksonville QB David Garrard hooked up with WR Mike Sims-Walker for a 61-yard scoring play. There was only one man close to the receiver when he hauled in the pass and that was Brown, who watched helplessly as the ball flew over his head and into the arms of Sims-Walker. Brown chased him into the end zone, but was not threat to tackle him.

“The cover two, that’s my bad,” said Brown. “That was a huge play in the game. It was just bad play on my part.”

Brown reacted to something he saw near the line of scrimmage and moved up on the defense. That proved a fatal football mistake.

“My responsibility is the back half of the field and I wasn’t there,” Brown said. “I think that play cost us the game.”

There were other problems for Brown and his defensive mates. They gave up other big plays during the game and forced just one turnover and had only one sack on the afternoon.

But Mike Brown was carrying this L on his shoulders, and his shoulders only.

“If I do my job, we’ve got a better chance to win at the end than we had,” said Brown. “It’s just hard to swallow.”

That Brown would stand up in another losing locker room and take the questions of the media, and then give the type of answers that he did tells you a lot about the man. He did not run and hide in the showers or training room as some players are prone to do when things go bad. In fact, Brown lingered in the locker room longer than most of his teammates.

And when he was asked about the game, he left little doubt about his thoughts and who was to blame.

Brown’s personality was one of the reasons that Pioli/Haley wanted to add him to the Chiefs defense this season. They never signed him with the idea of being the starter; they figured young safeties Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard would handle the starting duties and Brown would push them.

Page is gone to the injured-reserve list, done for the season with a calf injury. But he was having his troubles meshing with the new defensive scheme and coaching staff. Pollard’s problems doing the same became known back in early September when he was released as part of the final cutdown before the regular season.

That put Brown on the field and there’s no question that his physical skills are diminished. He does not have the speed and quickness of early in his career. That’s probably not a surprise given how many injuries he suffered through with Chicago in the last six years or so.

Brown has to play with his head and his heart. In Jacksonville, he was all heart and no head.

“To have a chance to win, those things can’t happen,” Brown said. “It’s on me.”

BigRedChief
11-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Mike Brown needs to retire and start collecting his Social Security...
THIS!

Surely we can find someone on the waiver wire better than this carpola.