PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things from Today's Game

gblowfish
09-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. This is my first trip to Arrowhead since the stadium renovation. I sold all my pre-season tix to my pal Mr. Doggity. I noticed the parking lots had been re-paved (good) but the lines between the spots were narrower (bad) and they really shoe-horned the cars in the lot. It's getting harder to tailgate. I like the wider area around the outside of the stadium (good), but noticed there was no KC ATA bus service to the game (bad). The inside was nice, not nearly as crowded, bathrooms are better, food service is better, and there are some specials on soft drinks and hot dogs for fans (good) but everything is a little more expensive (bad). In general, I thought the changes were more good than bad.

9. I was OK with going on 4th and 2, then OK with kicking the first field goal on 4th and 1. I was OK with the onside kick too, thought that was a ballsy move, and early enough in the game where it wouldn't be a killer.

8. You're not going to win very often only scoring 10 points. The pre-Marty 1980's was just like this. A good defensive effort gives up only 13 points and loses. Two picks really hurt. Protect the football. Protect the football. And 7 always beats 3. It always worries me when they settle for 3 at home.

7. God I miss Dante Hall. We need a kick returner real bad. Haley was screaming at Quentin Lawrence in the fourth quarter about something he did on kickoff coverage. Special teams needs some work. Monty Beisel should be cut, and play DJ at linebacker more. Bring back Pollard, let him play special teams only, taking Beisel's place on the roster.

6. Vrabel has a lot of heart, but he's easy to block. I saw him get pancaked a couple of times on a run, and easily handled by a running back on blitz blocking. I'm pretty sure this will be his last year. He reminds me of when we had Glenn Cadrez on his last legs.

5. We lost because we out-Raidered the Raiders today with stupid penalties. The crowd gave the Chiefs Defense at least four offsides penalties, but our offense couldn't sustain a drive without a penalty. Wallace Gilberry should have his Nads boxed with a ping-pong paddle for that late hit on Russell. Stupid Stupid Stupid, and a game changer.

4. Seabass is a bad ass. Oakland's kicking game -kickoffs, punts, field goals- must be the best in the NFL. It saved their ass today.

3. Not coming away with points in the second quarter is why we lost. Flowers drops a sure pick-six, and not coming away with points before the half was very Herm-Like. Clock management was terrible, use of timeouts in the first half, terrible.
That needs work big time.

2. Glenn Dorsey played a good game today. So did Bowe. He totally destroyed a guy on a Cassel scramble in the first half, and made tough catches. I think LJ played pretty well today too. He picked up some blitzes, ran hard, overall played well. O line was slightly better, but still a big weakness. We need to draft at least two linemen high next year.

1. I was proud of our fans today. They were really loud, stayed in it till the end, but there were many empty seats upstairs and in the end zone. Chiefs are losing any kind of mystique for Arrowhead. The team has to do their part to bring the fans in. You can't expect much when you start losing all the time at home.

I'm going to attach a few pics I took today. It was cool to see the Warthogs fly over. I liked seeing Warpaint the Horse at halftime. I got to shake hands with Clark Hunt and Scott Pioli before the game. At least the weather cooperated. Now if we could only win for a change....

Halfcan
09-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I was there as well-too many fader fans. I saw one punk get his ass kicked.

ArrowheadHawk
09-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow. That is one hell of a quality post after all this crybaby shit.

DeezNutz
09-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Nice job, bud.

"Bob" Dobbs
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Damn, you have nice seats.

munkey
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
11...our "D" coordinator lost his sack on the last series...What a joke.

Smed1065
09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
D cordinators son.

I bet!

KCBOSS1
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
aahhh. I love Arrowhead. Just live too far and don't get to go often. It's worth the trip even when they're sucking.

chief52
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
4. Seabass is a bad ass. Oakland's kicking game -kickoffs, punts, field goals- must be the best in the NFL. It saved their ass today.

Gotta agree with this one especially. The 54 yard FG and the amazing punts. The punts kept the Raiders in the game especially in the first half.

LaChapelle
09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
:thumb:

allen_kcCard
09-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Only thing I would disagree on, the "late hit" by Gilberry.....he was the first person to touch him, so I don't see how it could concievably be a late hit. He jumped on him like he should have, and before the Russel was not touched down. Looking back I wish he would have just put his hands on him, but a late hit by definition is when someone is down, and someone hits them after they are already down....down as in touched down, not just laying there because they tripped.

Agent V
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I was there too. Truly a tough loss to take. The o-line is a huge issue, but Cassel can at least move and avoid the sack for the most part (in this game anyway). I love the renovations, especially the ridiculously large screens, but you're right about the tailgating getting a bit tighter.

"Bob" Dobbs
09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Only thing I would disagree on, the "late hit" by Gilberry.....he was the first person to touch him, so I don't see how it could concievably be a late hit. He jumped on him like he should have, and before the Russel was not touched down. Looking back I wish he would have just put his hands on him, but a late hit by definition is when someone is down, and someone hits them after they are already down....down as in touched down, not just laying there because they tripped.What he said. Don't get me started on that bullshit.

Mojo Jojo
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I was surprised by the amount of empty seats. KCTV and/or HY VEE must have had to pay for a lot of tickets to avoid the blackout. I had three friends call last night and this morning trying to unload tickets.

I think we will be seeing A LOT of NFC East fans at Arrowhead over the next two home games, and the Steelers game is going to Heinz West.

Hydrae
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Always a good read after the game. Thanks! :thumb:

Deberg_1990
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Great stuff as always.

Love your takes George.

Im fairly certain the "Arrowhead Mystique" you talk of died 3 or 4 years ago.

CCU2000
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Great pics, great seats

Sure-Oz
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
ToonIconRather watch Temptations on VH1 than the bullshit I went thru today27 minutes ago from txt

Latest from LJ's twitter

Bwana
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Always the best post game posts on the planet. Great read.........rep.

Stinger
09-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I was there as well-too many fader fans. I saw one punk get his ass kicked.

You were in section 321??

Buehler445
09-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Good thread as always, George. I appreciate it.

gblowfish
09-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Here's a few more pics for you.
Kendall Gammon taking a break at halftime.
Cheerleaders (showing their good side)
Warpaint the Horse (at halftime)
XFactor's picture on the big scoreboard

StcChief
09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
thanks...needed that. fighting to see anything here in Lambland. small screen no sound.

gblowfish
09-20-2009, 09:19 PM
thanks...needed that. fighting to see anything here in Lambland. small screen no sound.

For those of you CPers who are outside of KC, the KC Star's sports page always has great pics on their site the night after the game is over. You can see today's at this link (good stuff):

http://www.kansascity.com/934/gallery/1457974.html

This pic (the final one in the set) pretty much sums up the feeling of the day: