PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs When do we draft a runningback?

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Be realistic guys, Larry Johnson wont be on this team once we start winning again. By the time we are winning again we will have somebody else carrying the ball for us consistently.

It wont be Charles, Battle, or Savage.

Im just curious when we should decide to take a talented HB early to take LJ's place.

Next year? Probably not, we have way to many weaknesses right now to draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2 in the 2010 draft.

2011? Unless we pick up a young talented HB before then, this should likely be the year we take one.

Comming into the 2011 draft we could be looking possibly at RB Darrell Scott from Colorado. Joe McKnight from USC. Jahvid Best from California or Jonathan Dwyer from Georgie Tech. Also DeMarco Murray from Oklahoma could be an option.

The reason I ask is because Im tired of us not having a consistent ground game from a key playmaker. LJ just isnt a playmaker like he used to be. We cant win games if we dont have a consistent runningback. LJ wont be a Chief when we start winning again unless hes Emmitt Smith and can play as a solid level into his mid 30's.

RJ
09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Check your Patsifacation tables.

unothadeal
09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
When every other position is filled

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Check your Patsifacation tables.

Fred Taylor will take us to the promised land in 2011.

Kyle DeLexus
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I want one of those shirts.

LaChapelle
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I kinda like the RBs they have, nothing outstanding, but not dreadful.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I kinda like the RBs they have, nothing outstanding, but not dreadful.

I like them also. But Charles wont be a key RB when 2011 comes around and we are a competitive team again. Im afraid we will be stuck in 2011 with a solid team. Good QB, solid WR's. Good Defense (hopefully) and then nobody to run the ball to take pressure off Cassel.

Silock
09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
There's no reason to draft a RB that high when you have other massive needs, especially on both sides of the line. You don't *need* a marquee running back to win. You just need a couple who can get you 1,000 yds/season for 3-4 seasons and then throw them away. Of course, it works if you can GET the marquee RB that's a sure thing, but there are no guarantees in the draft.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I like them also. But Charles wont be a key RB when 2011 comes around and we are a competitive team again.

LMAO

Charles isn't a key NOW. He can't stay healthy and when he does, he's average at best.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
There's no reason to draft a RB that high when you have other massive needs, especially on both sides of the line. You don't *need* a marquee running back to win. You just need a couple who can get you 1,000 yds/season for 3-4 seasons and then throw them away. Of course, it works if you can GET the marquee RB that's a sure thing, but there are no guarantees in the draft.

I agree. But who are those guys going to be? Charles and Battle wont be those guys. They are not full time backs. We need somebody to come in like Forte has for the Bears and be our X-Factor again and know how to make plays.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:25 PM
LMAO

Charles isn't a key NOW. He can't stay healthy and when he does, he's average at best.

Yep. I dont believe I ever said he was a key now, but ok.

Silock
09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree. But who are those guys going to be? Charles and Battle wont be those guys. They are not full time backs. We need somebody to come in like Forte has for the Bears and be our X-Factor again and know how to make plays.

Who knows who they'll be? FA cast-offs, or 3rd-4th rounders that can run.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:33 PM

I just dont want us to become a one diminsional team in a few years because we cant run the ball anymore because it becomes a liability. Its slowly getting that way now. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I just dont see a good running game in our future.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Why are you even concerned with running back when 4/5 offensive lineman need to be replaced, the Chiefs need a speed WR, at least six linebackers and a NT?

Productive running backs are found on day two and past the 4th round, all the time.

Hell, there are several on TV RIGHT NOW.

cj2wr
09-20-2009, 09:38 PM
C.J. Spiller

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Why are you even concerned with running back when 4/5 offensive lineman need to be replaced, the Chiefs need a speed WR, at least six linebackers and a NT?

Productive running backs are found on day two and past the 4th round, all the time.

You may be right. I just started thinking about this and thought how it may become a problem down the road. We dont need one NOW. Just soon.

Kyle DeLexus
09-20-2009, 09:39 PM

If we get some serviceable linemen that open up the kind of holes the Giants line opens up RB is the last thing we need to worry because I could run through those and average 6ypc

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:40 PM
C.J. Spiller

Spiller will go in this years draft. Hes injury prone and frail anyways.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
If we get some serviceable linemen that open up the kind of holes the Giants line opens up RB is the last thing we need to worry because I could run through those and average 6ypc

The Giants have arguably the best offensive line in the league

Kyle DeLexus
09-20-2009, 09:41 PM

Yep. I also like the Titans line.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:42 PM

When you build line chemistry over 30 something straight games you tend to be a little better than the rest. Its like the Chiefs line in 03'.

Kyle DeLexus
09-20-2009, 09:43 PM
When you build line chemistry over 30 something straight games you tend to be a little better than the rest. Its like the Chiefs line in 03'.

You also have to have some talent on it.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
You also have to have some talent on it.

Nah, it's just consistency.

:rollseyes:

Buehler445
09-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Dude, we don't need a Round 1 or 2 RB.

I don't know how old Battle is, but if he can cure his fumblitis, he can carry the rock. Fucker runs hard and has improved (at least playing with more) speed this year in the preseason.

I think we saw how much playcalling helps the run game. Fakes from the QB (that have to be well executed - I'm looking at you Thigpen) can help so much, and not having captain checkdown keeps the secondary honest. If we get an above average (I know it doesn't have to be all world....don't flame) line that can open some holes and work off the playcalling, we can have a productive run game.

If we have all our holes filled (:spock: In like 2050) we can take a RB high. But a low Round guy with a little vision and some want-to and intensity will suit us well.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Dude, we don't need a Round 1 or 2 RB.

I don't know how old Battle is, but if he can cure his fumblitis, he can carry the rock. ****er runs hard and has improved (at least playing with more) speed this year in the preseason.

I think we saw how much playcalling helps the run game. Fakes from the QB (that have to be well executed - I'm looking at you Thigpen) can help so much, and not having captain checkdown keeps the secondary honest. If we get an above average (I know it doesn't have to be all world....don't flame) line that can open some holes and work off the playcalling, we can have a productive run game.

If we have all our holes filled (:spock: In like 2050) we can take a RB high. But a low Round guy with a little vision and some want-to and intensity will suit us well.

I hope your right cause I dont have a good feeling about our future with running the ball.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I hope your right cause I dont have a good feeling about our future with running the ball.

Our future?

JFC.

I can't believe some of the posts in this forum.

Seriously.

Mecca
09-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Spiller will go in this years draft. Hes injury prone and frail anyways.

I'm going to completely kick your ass for railing on Spiller.

OnTheWarpath15
09-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Why not take one with our soon-to-be high 1st round pick in 2010?

POND_OF_RED
09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't be upset picking up Jahvid Best next year. I would rather have a big boy to throw on either side of the line but if they chose him or McKnight I wouldn't complain too much.

Silock
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Why not take one with our soon-to-be high 1st round pick in 2010?

If we do, I'll go apeshit. There's ZERO reason to draft a RB that high right now.

MAYBE we could do that if we had a good D-line, above average LB corps, good -o-line and good WR play and the ONLY real deficit area was the running game . . . but that's not the case. There are much bigger holes to fill.

Step 1: Get #1 pick
Step 2: Trade the hell out of it.
Step 3: Draft talent.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Win ballgames.

OnTheWarpath15
09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
If we do, I'll go apeshit. There's ZERO reason to draft a RB that high right now.

MAYBE we could do that if we had a good D-line, above average LB corps, good -o-line and good WR play and the ONLY real deficit area was the running game . . . but that's not the case. There are much bigger holes to fill.

Step 1: Get #1 pick
Step 2: Trade the hell out of it.
Step 3: Draft talent.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Win ballgames.

Sarcasm meter.

Invest in one.

soundmind
09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
#1: Larry Johnson is currently a short yardage, goalline back at best.
#2: Jamaal Charles can't read.
#3: Neither can his parents.
#4: Jackie Battle has a girls name. We should keep him, you can't work out that kind of anger.
#5: RBs grow on trees. Seriously, there are talented RBs working at places like UPS waiting for a phone call.
#6: WE NEED AN OFFENSIVE LINE and LINEBACKERS. Period.

If we are left keeping whatever Top 3-5 pick we acquire, unable to trade for more ammo, expect us to take a very large offensive tackle - I just don't think either safety is just heads and tails above all else...you guys have them walking on water already, one of them is 19, maybe 20 years old. Just keep in mind the contract these draft positions demand...the position needs to match the price tag unfortunately so expect the obvious.

Mecca
09-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Ok why is someone talking about Jahvid Best and or Joe McKnight?

soundmind
09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok why is someone talking about Jahvid Best and or Joe McKnight?

Best looks like a real find for whoever takes him, but again, our needs our far more fundamental. It will all depend on the offseason acquisitions that happen prior to the draft.

Mecca
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Best looks like a real find for whoever takes him, but again, our needs our far more fundamental. It will all depend on the offseason acquisitions that happen prior to the draft.

Those guys are most likely not starting RB's at the next level....they're smallish fast guys, and they don't have Spillers route running ability on the outside.

If you want to discuss real starting RB guys in college we can but they aren't the hot names for the most part.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I want one of those shirts.

Feel the power!

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wolf_in_blue_foliage_kids_teens_adults_shirt.jpg

Kyle DeLexus
09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Feel the power!

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wolf_in_blue_foliage_kids_teens_adults_shirt.jpg

While this is good, the JA #69 shirt would get me far more women after I go get my mullet and grow my foostache

baitism
09-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Hopefully we don't draft another bust from LSU..

soundmind
09-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Those guys are most likely not starting RB's at the next level....they're smallish fast guys, and they don't have Spillers route running ability on the outside.

If you want to discuss real starting RB guys in college we can but they aren't the hot names for the most part.

What are the odds we cut Larry Johnson at the end of this season?

Why does this ass Jack Henry have a job?

Mecca
09-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Cause Jack Henry says crazy old man stuff...

I actually hope they cut Larry Johnson, he's old and overpaid for a RB.

BWillie
09-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I say we draft a RB in the third round or something like that. You need a serviceable guy, but I don't see much of a point in wasting a first round pick on one of these guys - especially with the RB corps coming in next year. Most teams are going to more of a dual RB system. I think the star running back is going to get more and more a thing of the past. AD is tearing shit up though, but that O-line looks good too.

Sanka
09-21-2009, 12:06 AM
#5: RBs grow on trees. Seriously, there are talented RBs working at places like UPS waiting for a phone call.

I work at a UPS, and I can honestly say, I would rather have LJ. And I hate the scumbag.

;) :)

KCrockaholic
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm going to completely kick your ass for railing on Spiller.

Haha. Why? Spiller is ok. But I dont think he can last a full season in the NFL. He reminds me a little bit of Chris Johnson but Chris Johnson has shown the ability to last a few games without getting hurt. I really like Jahvid Best. McKnight is ok. I actually like Spiller more than McKnight, but my favorite is my boy Darrell Scott from CU. Im excited to see him kind of break out at the college level. By the end of the year, if you dont know him, you probably will.

Mecca
09-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Spiller is far more rounded than the other backs are, he can actually lineup as a WR and run routes.

He's not going to be an every down back but he doesn't have to be in todays game and for size questions.....Spiller is about 5'10 200lbs he's bigger than Best.

Mecca
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Wf0kC-w9lU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Wf0kC-w9lU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watch the versatility of CJ Spiller.

KCrockaholic
09-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Spiller is far more rounded than the other backs are, he can actually lineup as a WR and run routes.

He's not going to be an every down back but he doesn't have to be in todays game and for size questions.....Spiller is about 5'10 200lbs he's bigger than Best.

Thats fine that Spiller is bigger than Best. They are both smallish, but that doesnt mean Best is more injury prone or anything. They both have similar characteristics. The rest of this season will tell me the story on each of these guys. both of them are guys that Im watching very closely this year, along with Arrelious Benn, Berry, and Mays.

Mecca
09-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Neither one of them are the best RB prospect, Best is just a fast guy who makes big plays in college being fast. CJ Spiller is a fast guy who can do alot of different stuff so he has versatility value.

But neither one of them is going to be the first RB that gets picked.

KCrockaholic
09-21-2009, 01:08 AM
Neither one of them are the best RB prospect, Best is just a fast guy who makes big plays in college being fast. CJ Spiller is a fast guy who can do alot of different stuff so he has versatility value.

But neither one of them is going to be the first RB that gets picked.

I think Best is very versatile also, hes also Cals kick return guy, just like Spiller for Clemson, but Best also breaks off huge gains in every game. Every game he is guaranteed to break off a 30, 40, 70 yard TD. Best has decent hands from what ive seen, and Spiller being injured in that first game didnt help him, yet I need to see more out of him in the running game. I dont believe he a between the tackles type of runner. Its good to be versatile, but if he cant play runningback I would rather see him just play WR. I need to see him in a few more games to tell if hes a decent blocker or not.

CoMoChief
09-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Well, you can draft a good RB in the 2nd day. Look at someone like Tashard Choice. I think he could start on some teams in this league.

We won't need a RB for a couple years.

RB, CB, P, K, QB, LT, LG, DE, S are positions I think we are fine at.

We are way under the cap, and probably draft top 5 again next season. I think we will do some things in FA. Hopefully the CBA issue gets resolved. We should right the ship in 2 seasons. Its not like Haley came in and took over a playoff winning team. He came in and is trying to change the attitude in a young team with minimal talent.

Hootie
09-21-2009, 04:37 AM
I think one of the biggest myths about Larry Johnson that Chiefs fans have is that he's a short yardage back...

Priest Holmes excelled as a short yardage back...Larry Johnson does not. Larry Johnson, once he has a hole, is excellent...but grinding out 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's...and goal to go...nope, that's not his forte...not even close.

kepp
09-21-2009, 07:44 AM
No need to spend too much on a RB yet. We may as well recycle below average RBs until our offensive line gets fully rebuilt.

wild1
09-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Fix the offensive line, and then just draft a few in the middle/late rounds.

Chief Faithful
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
First find a C, RG and RT. While we are at it how about a TE and WR.

Mr. Laz
09-21-2009, 10:06 AM
RB's have the shortest shelf life, you basically have to draft one in the middle rounds every other year.

Skip Towne
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM

You just described Jake Sharp from Kansas. A white boy with 4.2 speed.

KCrockaholic
09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
You just described Jake Sharp from Kansas. A white boy with 4.2 speed.

I prefer Sam McGuffie :D

Great Expectations
09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
We should draft the RB from Oregon.

CoMoChief
09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
A good Oline will make an ok RB look great. look at Priest Holmes

A good Oline will make an ok QB look great. look at Trent Green

A good Oline wil provide time for WR's to run their routes and can make ok WR's produce more than most people think they're capable of. look at Eddie Kennison. And no one can argue TG's best years as a Chief were during the DV years

I think we all know where the offseason needs to focus on. And you can say the same for lack pass rush for the defense.

notorious
09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I think one of the biggest myths about Larry Johnson that Chiefs fans have is that he's a short yardage back...

Priest Holmes excelled as a short yardage back...Larry Johnson does not. Larry Johnson, once he has a hole, is excellent...but grinding out 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's...and goal to go...nope, that's not his forte...not even close.

The reason he sucks at short yardage is because it takes him 20 seconds to get to the hole.

notorious
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I have always been a believer in the following:

**Runningbacks are the product of their line**

**Defense is 90% scheme and aggressiveness driven**

I woundn't waste a high pick on a RB. Those slots are for QB, Pass Rushing D-End or LB, Left Tackle.

salame
09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Mecca do you think Dwyer from GT will be the first rb taken?

Mecca
09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Mecca do you think Dwyer from GT will be the first rb taken?

Probably.

DaKCMan AP
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
You can get good RBs later in the draft. I think both Miami RB's Graig Cooper and Javarris James could be very good at the pro level.

salame
09-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Probably.

that's what I think too
I like him quite a bit but I don't think KC will be picking a running back with a top 3 pick

Mecca
09-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Cooper in the NFL is the same thing he is now, a rotation back who can do alot of stuff.

salame
09-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Dwyer has a pretty freaky set of physical size and speed
I guess Oakland will be taking him

Rausch
09-22-2009, 02:37 AM
I wouldn't draft a HB this year.

Period.

Charles is easily injured and Battle has questionable hands.

That said, they both have a ton of talent. I'd go the classic Pats route, ignore the HB position for a year or two, and upgrade the offensive line and LB's...

salame
09-22-2009, 02:44 AM
I want Charles to be good just as much as anyone else
I really liked him at Texas and was glad the Chiefs got him
But he will never play like Darren Sproles or Leon Washington
and I think he is going to get traded
I think that's why he was inactive
he will be missed

Rausch
09-22-2009, 02:54 AM
I want Charles to be good just as much as anyone else
I really liked him at Texas and was glad the Chiefs got him
But he will never play like Darren Sproles or Leon Washington
and I think he is going to get traded
I think that's why he was inactive
he will be missed

Punctuation...

Mecca
09-22-2009, 02:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with drafting RB's you probably shouldn't do it in the 1st round though.

Rausch
09-22-2009, 02:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with drafting RB's you probably shouldn't do it in the 1st round though.

Not this year.

salame
09-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Punctuation...

all of my punctuation keys are broken

Mecca
09-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Not this year.

Why not?

If the guy can play the guy can play, in case no one noticed we have a horrible RB situation.

Rausch
09-22-2009, 03:09 AM
all of my punctuation keys are broken

all of my sober keys are broken

Rausch
09-22-2009, 03:10 AM
Why not?

If the guy can play the guy can play, in case no one noticed we have a horrible RB situation.

Because there isn't anyone I'd take in the first, and I'm the biggest fan of drafting a HB here.

Mecca
09-22-2009, 03:13 AM
There are talented RB's that don't go in the first round every year, there's no need to take 1 in the first.

A guy like Spiller has higher value though and may go in the first because of his receiving talents and he'll be in the league a long time. He'll never be a feature back but a guy who does kick and punt returns can line up as a WR and as a perfect 3rd down back with elite speed has very high value.

Rausch
09-22-2009, 03:25 AM
There are talented RB's that don't go in the first round every year, there's no need to take 1 in the first.

A guy like Spiller has higher value though and may go in the first because of his receiving talents and he'll be in the league a long time. He'll never be a feature back but a guy who does kick and punt returns can line up as a WR and as a perfect 3rd down back with elite speed has very high value.

I don't research and study the entire NCAA like yourself. I see what appears to be the Chiefs biggest need (in my eyes) and try and look as much into that position as I can with the projected draft class going in.

Some years I dream about Ron Dayne or Deuce McAlister, some years it's Antonio Cromartie or Boss Bailey.

This year I want a G. I think there are a number of guys coming out and we could get a stud in the late 1st.

I know people hate taking a G in the first but the inside running game is what allows you to be versatile. Being strong up the middle is what allows you to switch gears and be productive. You look at any great historical line and they had two great G's and a great LT. Center and RT are almost forgotten in most cases...

Mecca
09-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Why would we be taking a Guard in the late first when we're going to be picking top 5?

As of today I'm not that enamored with this years OL class.

Rausch
09-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Why would we be taking a Guard in the late first when we're going to be picking top 5?

As of today I'm not that enamored with this years OL class.

I'm fucking stupified we took a 3-4 d lineman in the top 10.

I can't imagine this franchise not doing all it can to trade down at every opportunity and increase our chances of improving talent through the draft.

But, we did sit on our hands in free agency because the new Fuhrer refused to tie himself to anything ($$$) in his first year...

Mecca
09-22-2009, 04:32 AM
So will you get pissed when he picks a bunch more defensive players?

Rausch
09-22-2009, 04:43 AM
So will you get pissed when he picks a bunch more defensive players?

"He" who?

Mecca
09-22-2009, 04:46 AM
"He" who?

Scott Pioli, I could make a list of the guys I think he'll target with picks.

I don't think it'll look much like we'd like it too, I can sit here and pine for guys like Berry and Mays but I don't see him ever making a pick like that.

DaKCMan AP
09-22-2009, 06:52 AM
I don't research and study the entire NCAA like yourself. I see what appears to be the Chiefs biggest need (in my eyes) and try and look as much into that position as I can with the projected draft class going in.

Some years I dream about Ron Dayne or Deuce McAlister, some years it's Antonio Cromartie or Boss Bailey.

This year I want a G. I think there are a number of guys coming out and we could get a stud in the late 1st.

I know people hate taking a G in the first but the inside running game is what allows you to be versatile. Being strong up the middle is what allows you to switch gears and be productive. You look at any great historical line and they had two great G's and a great LT. Center and RT are almost forgotten in most cases...

I would not draft a G high in the 1st round. That being said, the Pouncey twins from Florida will be studs in the NFL.

salame
09-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Mecca you think he likes Arthur Jones or Rennie Curran?

DaKCMan AP
09-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm ****ing stupified we took a 3-4 d lineman in the top 10.

You mean like Richard Seymour?