PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I Chillaxed Over the Game = Here Are My Thoughts

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
09-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Like any of you care.... :deevee: :# ;) :rolleyes:

Here it is:

If anyone of you expected more than 6-8 wins from this team and a trip to the playoffs this year, please remove your rose colored glasses.

Now.

The skid marks that Herman Edwards and Carl Peterson left on this franchise were so significant, they can't be fully wiped away after one preseason and two games. Like it or not, we've been stuck in a rebuilding circle for what seems like way too long.

Much has been made by the roster overhaul that Haley and Pioli have done. Something like 30 players turned over from Peterson's era. Fact is, Peterson lost his personnel touch in the final days of his era. He tried to re-engineer something that existed in the mid 90s. We all know that.

Today, we saw our $64 million QB move around the pocket with poise, with mobile feet and pick up 34 yards rushing. His 2 sacks were unfortunate but Peyton Manning gets sacked too. I loved his spirit and bravdo running in the open field, throwing down a first down tomahawk. He's a gritty fireball with a great arm. He'll come around.

Larry Johnson isn't a speed demon anymore. But dang it, he will give you 100 yards if you feed him the rock. 10 of his 24 carries today went for 2 yards or less. Of those 10 carries, ONLY 2 went for a loss of yardage. For the past 2 seasons, I think LJ has been stuffed for a negative yards play at least 4-5 times per game. He shredded blockers on a nice 20-yard grab. Last time I saw LJ have a double-digit reception like that was when he lumbered 30 yards for a score against the FudgePackers 3 years ago.

Receivers? This one got me a little as Nhandi Ass-a-muwah missed damn near 75% of the 2nd half with dehydration and we didn't take advantage of that. Why we waited until the end of the game to try a play action pass is beyond me as it was there the entire game.

Bobby Wade comes in from the street and was targeted 9 times. If Bradley pulls his head out of his ass, I like the Bowe-Wade-Bradley collection. Face it, we ain't gonna get a top tier receiver at this point in the season so let's build up and coach up what we have. Wade was excellent in the Wes Welker-esque role today.

I totally dug the onside kick and think the possession rule that was enforced is BS. If a guy recovers, gets one foot down and is forced out, it should be retained.

Defense? It was a lot better than the past 17 regular season games I have watched. That youth is going to start paying dividends here real quick.

In closing, I like the direction the team is headed. Todd will learn from his mistakes, just like all coaches (except Herman Edwards) do. He'll get better. Our young players will get better. The spirit will return to KC once again. There is more hope and promise now than in the past few years.

Flame away....

Reerun_KC
09-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Very nice take...

C-Mac
09-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Nice take...agreed Sir Marty. The whole team shows promise, especially the D. I think this team will eventually come together and become enjoyable to watch.

KcMizzou
09-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice take.

But you said "chillaxed".

I can no longer acknowledge your existence.

Swazey
09-20-2009, 11:52 PM
...skid marks that Herman Edwards and Carl Peterson left on this franchise were so significant, they can't be fully wiped away after one preseason and two games.

Pretty much.... Whitlock and his hotheaded people can fall back. We'll be alright.
http://www.reefmadnessvilla.com/flying_pig2.jpg

TinyEvel
09-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Yes, but I have a few questions for your avatar, please?

bevischief
09-21-2009, 05:40 AM
:fart::fire:

JimNasium
09-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Positive posts will not be tolerated. This team was better under Herl (Herm+Carl). Trust me, I know lots about football because I play Madden 12 hours a day and have won 30 Superbowls.

EyePod
09-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Today, we saw our $64 million QB move around the pocket with poise, with mobile feet and pick up 34 yards rushing. His 2 sacks were unfortunate but Peyton Manning gets sacked too. I loved his spirit and bravdo running in the open field, throwing down a first down tomahawk. He's a gritty fireball with a great arm. He'll come around.

Anything Matt Cassel did today could have been replicated by Thigpen... at a much cheaper price... and without the high hopes that came with Cassell starting...

kepp
09-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Anything Matt Cassel did today could have been replicated by Thigpen... at a much cheaper price... and without the high hopes that came with Cassell starting...

Maybe so (and that's a BIG "maybe"), but it would have happened with NO hope of him improving beyond what he currently is. Cassel will improve.

KcFanInGA
09-21-2009, 07:51 AM

Really? How many accurate throws did Shitpen have this preseason?

MahiMike
09-21-2009, 11:21 AM

uh, no. Actually, Cassel is the best parts of Brody + Thigpen put together. He scrambles better than I thought and throws a very nice, accurate pass. He threaded some holes and threw well deep too.

Mr. Laz
09-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Today, we saw our $64 million QB move around the pocket with poise, with mobile feet and pick up 34 yards rushing
sorry, i stopped reading here.

Cassel played like ass and wasn't poised at all. In fact, lack of poise might of been his biggest problem.

Just Passin' By
09-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Last season, Thigpen completed better than 60% of his passes in 4 of 14 games. He had more than 200 yards passing in 5 of 14 games. That was with T.G. on the team.

This weekend, in his first game of the season, coming off a knee sprain, playing with a wide receiver that had been with the team for less than a week, and having to play with an offensive system that had been revamped just weeks before when the previous O.C. was fired, Cassel completed better than 60% of his passes and threw for more than 200 yards. That was without T.G. to use as a security blanket.

Cassel also drove the Chiefs down and got the team the lead in the 4th quarter, when they'd been trailing entering the quarter. I'm just curious: how often did Thigpen do that last season?

Deberg_1990
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Oh really? I dont remember Thigpen ever throwing at a 61% completion percentage??

I dont remember Thiggy ever being clutch with 4thQ TD??

Can we please stop with the Thigpen nonsense??

shitgoose
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
what does chillax mean?

Mr. Laz
09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
what does chillax mean?
Chill + relax = wannabe cool kid

Mr_Tomahawk
09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Good post. I agree with most of it. We essentially are FINALLY moving in the right direction...

The only part I stumbled across was this...

Larry Johnson isn't a speed demon anymore.

...was he ever a 'speed demon'?

I can't remember when he was...

OnTheWarpath15
09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
sorry, i stopped reading here.

Cassel played like ass and wasn't poised at all. In fact, lack of poise might of been his biggest problem.

I agree, Laz.

The buddy of mine I was watching with beat me to it - he mentioned that Cassel had the "happy feet" and was feeling phantom pressure.

Red Dawg
09-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I like your take as well but as a whole the D is not much better but in one area. Run Defense. Flowers is a playa though.

MVChiefFan
09-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Good post. I agree with most of it. We essentially are FINALLY moving in the right direction...

The only part I stumbled across was this...

...was he ever a 'speed demon'?

I can't remember when he was...

I remember a 99 yard TD run against Seattle in a preseason game a few years ago. He left everyone in his dust. Speed demon? I don't know about that. But he's definitely lost a step or two. But, on that note, let me say that he ran awfully hard yesterday.