PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Grading the Chiefs vs. the Raiders

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Grading the Chiefs vs. the Raiders
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1458135.html)
Rushing offense

Grade: B

The raw numbers were fine, but they didn’t give the Chiefs the lift they needed.

Passing offense

Grade: D-

Matt Cassel made the big-time TD throw to Dwayne Bowe but otherwise was a liability in his first start for the Chiefs.

Rushing defense

Grade: A-

A strong effort against a determined running attack.

Passing defense

Grade: B-

A nice performance for 3 1/2 quarters, but what happened after that?

Special teams

Grade: C-

Coverage was good, but Chiefs kickers were outdone by their Oakland counterparts.

Coaching

Grade: F

Plenty of strange decisions from Todd Haley. If the Chiefs had taken that field goal at the end of the first half instead of being greedy …

King_Chief_Fan
09-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Taking the field goal opportunity would have still been there if Cassel threw the ball away or into the end zone incomplete. I put that on Cassel and the receiver. I will coaching a failing grade for changing the D plan the last two minutes of the game.

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Grade: F

Plenty of strange decisions from Todd Haley. If the Chiefs had taken that field goal at the end of the first half instead of being greedy …

Sigh... Haley didn't call a play directed at the flat... that play was intended to go to the End Zone or out of bounds. Cassel made the poor decision there.

Bane
09-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Well like I've said,we can only get better and go up from here.

LaChapelle
09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Croyle pulled a stupid ass move last week that Haley got blamed for. Or took the blame for.

wild1
09-21-2009, 08:44 AM
To say Cassel was a liability is stupid. He completed over 60% and had a lot of balls that should have been caught besides. He made a couple of mistakes, but he produced the team's only touchdown and they sure as heck weren't going to move the ball much on the ground.

bobbything
09-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Passing defense

Grade: B-

A nice performance for 3 1/2 quarters, but what happened after that?
Predictable zone happened.

Fish
09-21-2009, 08:59 AM
LOL....

LEAVE HALEY ALONE!

http://www.memecat.com/images/memes/chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 09:06 AM
LOL....

LEAVE HALEY ALONE!

http://www.memecat.com/images/memes/chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

ROFL

FloridaMan88
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
That little out play the Chiefs tried multiple times (including on that fateful play to end the first half) needs to go. It reeks of the infamous 2 yard swing pass play to Kimble Anders the Chiefs loved so much back in the day.

HemiEd
09-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Croyle pulled a stupid ass move last week that Haley got blamed for. Or took the blame for.

Haley is a leader, nice to see that change. It WILL pay dividends.

BigChiefFan
09-21-2009, 10:00 AM
We lost by 3 points, to a team with superior talent. BFD.

bobbything
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
We let Jamarcus Russell drive 80 yards to a victory in the closing minutes of the game. Jamarcus Russell is not a superior talent. I bet he doesn't lead another drive like that in the next 2 years.

BigChiefFan
09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Shit happens. We are a team in transition, that is devoid of talent, and installing new offense and defense. We kept it close. They had one big play and it costs us, but I'm more interested in looking at THE BIGGER PICTURE and seeing how the defense has already improved. Just like any other team, once we get Cassell more weapons, I suspect he'll play better. Again, Rome wasn't built in a day.

notorious
09-21-2009, 10:41 AM

It's how we lost. Complete domination until we let the worst QB in the league drive down for the TD.

The score should have been 31 to 6. Losers lose games they should own.

BigChiefFan
09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
It's how we lost. Complete domination until we let the worst QB in the league drive down for the TD.

The score should have been 31 to 6. Losers lose games they should own.Yea, never mind the complete domination part, let's focus on the blown play.

Frazod
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM

The score should have been 31 to 6. Losers lose games they should own.

Well said. Depressing and infuriating, but well said. :banghead:

Just Passin' By
09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
We let Jamarcus Russell drive 80 yards to a victory in the closing minutes of the game. Jamarcus Russell is not a superior talent. I bet he doesn't lead another drive like that in the next 2 years.

The Raiders scored a grand total of 13 points.

You people have just got to get a grip. The Chiefs are a bad football team. They've been a bad football team for years. They'll be a bad football team all this season. Mistakes will happen. Games will be lost that might have been won.

Anyone who expected otherwise is an idiot. Frankly, comparing them to idiots might be insulting to the idiots.

jidar
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
So that makes two media pundits who were too stupid to see that the pass to the flat was entirely on cassell. I guess you could try making the argument that you don't even give your QB a chance to fuck it up, but fuck that if you want to win you've got to give your players opportunities to make plays. I love calling an "end zone or bust" pass play with 13 seconds, that's aggressive play calling, we just need to get Cassell to not be fucking retarded.

If we didn't have Posnanski we wouldn't have shit for sports media here.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
If we didn't have Posnanski we wouldn't have shit for sports media here.

Posnanski's gone.

Oh, and the Chiefs lost yesterday.

CoMoChief
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Taking the field goal opportunity would have still been there if Cassel threw the ball away or into the end zone incomplete. I put that on Cassel and the receiver. I will coaching a failing grade for changing the D plan the last two minutes of the game.

Yup, when theres only (i think at the time 15 sec) maybe less. No timeouts and you're about 10-15 yards out...

You have ONLY 2 options.

Go for the endzone (through the air obviously)....and if its not there, you have to throw it away to stop the clock. Throwing a 3-4yd out pattern to a back and hope he gets to a sideline, when at that point, the field has shrunk and defense has less to cover and can't be stretched was just a terrible decision from Cassel and cost the Chiefs points.

Cassel throws the ball away, there's still 5-6 seconds on the clock, Succop comes in and kicks a chip shot.

Chiefnj2
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Why did Haley bench Bowe for the first offensive series of the game?

Easy 6
09-21-2009, 11:39 PM

...man, that is a grody sick scenario...wait?1, did that actually happen?!

Goldmember
09-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Shit happens. We are a team in transition, that is devoid of talent, and installing new offense and defense. We kept it close. They had one big play and it costs us, but I'm more interested in looking at THE BIGGER PICTURE and seeing how the defense has already improved. Just like any other team, once we get Cassell more weapons, I suspect he'll play better. Again, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I disagree that the Chiefs defense has improved. They were horrible against Baltimore. Against the Raiders, any other NFL qb would have torn the Chiefs defense a new asshole. The reason the Raiders only scored 13 points was largely due to Russell's lack of accuracy and the Raiders going away from the run.

StcChief
09-22-2009, 06:51 AM
We let Jamarcus Russell drive 80 yards to a victory in the closing minutes of the game. Jamarcus Russell is not a superior talent. I bet he doesn't lead another drive like that in the next 2 years.we play them again right?

TEX
09-22-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree that poor coaching decisions played a large part in losing this game. That ususally has to happen in order to lose to the Raiders how the Chiefs did. I thought going in that the Chiefs would have had the edge there. Turns out they didn't. That is what I am most disappointed about.

SAUTO
09-22-2009, 08:01 AM

didnt russell do the same thing the week before, only to have rivers better it?

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
To say Cassel was a liability is stupid. He completed over 60% and had a lot of balls that should have been caught besides. He made a couple of mistakes, but he produced the team's only touchdown and they sure as heck weren't going to move the ball much on the ground.

Two really bad mistakes - really bad ones - plus the stupid pass at the end of the half to the 4 yard line.
We had over 150 yards rushing. Not great by any means, but the mix of plays at the time they were called were odd - to say the least.
I wouldn't give Cassell anything more than a C+ and that is being generous.
At the same time, I would rate Haley slightly lower than Cassell.

Frazod
09-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Two really bad mistakes - really bad ones - plus the stupid pass at the end of the half to the 4 yard line.
We had over 150 yards rushing. Not great by any means, but the mix of plays at the time they were called were odd - to say the least.
I wouldn't give Cassell anything more than a C+ and that is being generous.
At the same time, I would rate Haley slightly lower than Cassell.

Russ! You're alive!

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Playing Jamarcus Russell is like playing a helmeted kid stepping off the shortbus. I can think of no other team in which he would start. He is the single worst starting QB I have ever seen play an NFL game.

Even with 10 Probowl players, you still should beat them with Russell on the field.

That said, we are young and learning. I am far from bitter, I just hate seeing simple mistakes. If we don't make the same mistakes last week, I will be okay.

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Russ! You're alive!

My God, Timothy!!!!! That is the perfect icon for you - Seriously.

How are you>?

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 08:29 AM

They didn't have one big play - we gave them the game when we decided it was important to hit the retarded quarterback while he was laying on the ground.

Frazod
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
My God, Timothy!!!!! That is the perfect icon for you - Seriously.

How are you>?

Older, balder and fatter. :D How about yourself?

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Older, balder and fatter. :D How about yourself?

Oh, I thought you were talking about me.

Actually doing fine. Got laid off the old job and changed careers. Doing okay though.

Frazod
09-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about me.

Actually doing fine. Got laid off the old job and changed careers. Doing okay though.

There's a lot of that going around. Hope you like what you're doing now. Good to see you posting again.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Indeed, good to see you here, Russ.

FAX
09-22-2009, 08:53 AM
They didn't have one big play ....

Hmmmm. I thought that one play where JaMarcus sort of waddled back to pass, neatly avoided the rush by jutting out his booty, set his feet, and flung the football with incredible and immense force directly into his own face was pretty big. Although, I do think we got called for halfwit interference on that one.

FAX

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 09:06 AM
There's a lot of that going around. Hope you like what you're doing now. Good to see you posting again.

Great to see you, Tim.

And yes, I love what I do now. Weird, I thought I would be an office manager the rest of my life - I was great at it. Not tooting my own horn, just stating a fact.

Now I am a restaurant manager, making a little more than I was there - which is nice, but not that important. The fact is that I love going to my job. At the end of a shift, I find myself saying "I got paid for that"?

You? The wife? The animals?

Frazod
09-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Great to see you, Tim.

And yes, I love what I do now. Weird, I thought I would be an office manager the rest of my life - I was great at it. Not tooting my own horn, just stating a fact.

Now I am a restaurant manager, making a little more than I was there - which is nice, but not that important. The fact is that I love going to my job. At the end of a shift, I find myself saying "I got paid for that"?

You? The wife? The animals?

The wife is fine. One cat died, replaced by another cat, so we still have three. I'm still working at the same place, been here nearly ten years now. Can't say I love it, but I like the people I work with. Business has slowed down for us just like everybody else, but I've survived the layoffs (knock on wood).

BigChiefFan
09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
They didn't have one big play - we gave them the game when we decided it was important to hit the retarded quarterback while he was laying on the ground.
and then what happened?...one big play to seal the deal. Their ONLY TD on the day.

htismaqe
09-22-2009, 10:04 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't get to watch the game until this morning.

He wasn't down, nor did he slide. What am I missing?

KCWolfman
09-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't get to watch the game until this morning.

Led with head

patteeu
09-22-2009, 10:41 AM

I would say that they considered it more force than was necessary to touch him down. They were probably particularly sensitive to it since McNabb got his ribs broken the week before (although in that case it was also a late hit after a score). I hate that they do that with QBs, but I guess it's something we just have to live with.

Chiefnj2
09-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Article 8 There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be
limited to:
( a) striking an opponent anywhere above the knee with the foot or any part of the leg below the
knee with a whipping motion;
( b) tackling the runner when he is clearly out of bounds;
( c) a member of the receiving team cannot go out of bounds and contact a kicking team player
out of bounds. If this occurs on a kick from scrimmage, post-possession rules would apply
if appropriate (9-1-17);
( d) running or diving into, or throwing the body against or on a ball carrier who falls or slips to
the ground untouched and makes no attempt to advance, before or after the ball is dead;

It's one of those rules that is not called consistently (8(d)). Similar to the no TD call on Murphy of the Raiders last week.

patteeu
09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Led with head

Yeah, maybe that too. It's good to see KCWolfman here today after such a long absence.

htismaqe
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Led with head

That's not what they called.

htismaqe
09-22-2009, 11:13 AM
( d) running or diving into, or throwing the body against or on a ball carrier who falls or slips to
the ground untouched and makes no attempt to advance, before or after the ball is dead;

Damn.

That's a dumb rule. He was attempting to get up, which to me is the same thing as an attempt to advance.

So they were supposed to just let him get up and take off? That's stupid.

Chiefnj2
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Damn.

That's a dumb rule. He was attempting to get up, which to me is the same thing as an attempt to advance.

So they were supposed to just let him get up and take off? That's stupid.

It is stupid which is why it is rarely called and when it is called it's usually a QB hit.