PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley needs an O-Coirdinator

Hydrae
09-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I keep reading the back and forth about the game yesterday. It was the first game I got to see of the new "Haley" Chiefs. I was excited by a lot of things I saw, that is for sure. But I would put myself in the camp that puts this loss on Haley. I just think he is learning how to be a head coach and does not need the additional responsibilities of O-Coordinator and QB coach. I am afraid he has too much on his plate and the development of his players is suffering as a result.

A man should step up and do all he can but he also needs to recognize his limitations. At this point I would have to say that Haley's arrogance is costing this team.

BigRedChief
09-21-2009, 07:52 AM
A man should step up and do all he can but he also needs to recognize his limitations. At this point I would have to say that Haley's arrogance is costing this team.
Name me one good NFL coach that isn't/wasn't arrogant?

not saying arrogance is good, just saying that it seems to me to be a job requirement.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-21-2009, 07:52 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214617

Chiefless
09-21-2009, 07:54 AM
I don't think it's arrogance. I think he believes his play-book and creativity are more advanced than Chan Gailey's. Haley will have a O-coordinator next year, but that coordinator will be more of a protege than most coordinators. It'll be a young guy that Haley can mold.

Hydrae
09-21-2009, 07:55 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214617

Thanks, I obviously missed in the rest of the noise. I was actually looking for this subject in several other threads.

LaChapelle
09-21-2009, 08:00 AM
I think he needs a hire QB coach. The OC thing is kinda ify for me.

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 08:04 AM
I think the play-calling was the best I'd seen in years yesterday. Haley was NOT predictable like this team was under Herm (not thigpen/pistol of last year) and Haleys First game against the Ravens. He mixed it up, ran some trick plays, and didn't run every frickin first and second down. The chiefs didn't have a problem moving the ball, and did well converting on third down. The problem was the TEAM not executing near the red zone.

Haley did great calling plays yesterday.

Hydrae
09-21-2009, 08:06 AM
I think the play-calling was the best I'd seen in years yesterday. Haley was NOT predictable like this team was under Herm (not thigpen/pistol of last year) and Haleys First game against the Ravens. He mixed it up, ran some trick plays, and didn't run every frickin first and second down. The chiefs didn't have a problem moving the ball, and did well converting on third down. The problem was the TEAM not executing near the red zone.

Haley did great calling plays yesterday.

I am afraid he is overextending himself and the team as a whole will suffer. If he was a seasoned head coach I would have less concern.

wild1
09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Other than the end of the first half debacle, I was happy with the play calling and attitude for the most part.

I think he will have a coordinator long-term, but they made a mistake retaining Chan and they'll rectify that in the offseason.

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I am afraid he is overextending himself and the team as a whole will suffer. If he was a seasoned head coach I would have less concern.

I see your point, but the team is young anyway... not like we are super bowl bound. Haley should have enough experience when we make that push.

morphius
09-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Other than the end of the first half debacle, I was happy with the play calling and attitude for the most part.

I think he will have a coordinator long-term, but they made a mistake retaining Chan and they'll rectify that in the offseason.
Did he say that the toss to the RB in the flat was the call he made, or was that a check down by the QB when he didn't see anybody open?

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Did he say that the toss to the RB in the flat was the call he made, or was that a check down by the QB when he didn't see anybody open?

In the post game interview, that was NOT a Haley called play. Cassel was supposed to go for the endzone, or a route that was headed out of bounds. All Haley did was take the blame for his QB making a stupid play.

Even Herm is not dumb enough to call a 1 yard play to the flat with no timeouts in that situation.

MahiMike
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I saw a whole lot of imagination yesterday. The offense was clicking. Turnovers and penalties screwed us up. Not the play calling. That's a good thing.

Otter
09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Pressure builds diamonds

or causes wet farts...we shall see

I have faith in Haley

wild1

I think you might be thinking of the pass on 3rd and 1 late in the game. Haley was prodded by Whitlock about why he didn't run the ball in that situation and Haley said that the way the play was designed they thought it was as good as a run, because the ball gets in the RB's hands and it wasn't like a downfield pass or anything.

morphius
In the post game interview, that was NOT a Haley called play. Cassel was supposed to go for the endzone, or a route that was headed out of bounds. All Haley did was take the blame for his QB making a stupid play.

Even Herm is not dumb enough to call a 1 yard play to the flat with no timeouts in that situation.
Cool, then I thought right. Though having a QB pull an idiot move like that is also a bit scary as well.

morphius
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I think you might be thinking of the pass on 3rd and 1 late in the game. Haley was prodded by Whitlock about why he didn't run the ball in that situation and Haley said that the way the play was designed they thought it was as good as a run, because the ball gets in the RB's hands and it wasn't like a downfield pass or anything.
Nope, the play at the end of the half in the red zone where Savage got tackled before he could get out of bounds.

CoMoChief
09-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I dont see what the problem is.......coaches are coaches, they call plays all the time. This shouldn't be an issue.

Hydrae
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I dont see what the problem is.......coaches are coaches, they call plays all the time. This shouldn't be an issue.

I am not even that worried about play calling. I wonder about the rest of the week. He can only be in so many places at once. If the problem is in execution then having another person to follow up on those issues during practice would have to be a good thing. I just worry he is over his head and may not even realize it yet.

Chief Faithful
09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
This is a year of rebuilding and learning so I like the fact Haley is working every aspect of the offense and team. This will give Haley a much better idea of what he is working with talent wise. I suspect they will hire a QB coach and OC during the off-season.

Red Dawg
09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Haley needs a pass rush not a play caller.

ferrarispider95
09-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Haley needs a pass rush not a play caller.

Exactly, how much better off would we be if we would have shipped LJ off, kept JA, and drafted a running back with the LJ pick. I think we could have at least got a 2nd for LJ before we resigned him as he came off that huge year.

Carl :#

ferrarispider95
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Exactly, how much better off would we be if we would have shipped LJ off, kept JA, and drafted a running back with the LJ pick. I think we could have at least got a 2nd for LJ before we resigned him as he came off that huge year.

Ok, I guess we would have not had albert than, but still we would have been better off.

ThunderChief
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Properly channeled, arrogance is good if it's delievered in the guise of tough love. Having strong confidence in yourself, for your beliefs and selling those playing for you has worked for many successful NFL coaches. It's when the coach becomes inconsistent, plays favorites or cannot clearly communicate his vision is when the lockerroom gets lost along with the coach's credibility.

The key for Haley is to remain consistent at this early stage or as consistent as he's capable of being. Any deviation from his charted course will spell disaster.

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM

LJ sucks because he isn't utilized in good playcalling, nor does he have a decent oline to run behind.

Let's say the Chiefs traded LJ to the Giants a couple years back.... I would bet LJ would still be tearing shit up around the NFL and everyone here would be bitching about how we traded LJ.

CoMoChief
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok, I guess we would have not had albert than, but still we would have been better off.

We could have drafted a tackle with the LJ pick. I like the Denver approach to drafting Rb's, not counting this draft, pick them late, let the Oline do their dirty work and make a good RB with some intangebles look great.

CoMoChief
09-21-2009, 01:31 PM
LJ sucks because he isn't utilized in good playcalling, nor does he have a decent oline to run behind.

Let's say the Chiefs traded LJ to the Giants a couple years back.... I would bet LJ would still be tearing shit up around the NFL and everyone here would be bitching about how we traded LJ.

LJ sucks because he's not running behind 3-4 probowl Olinemen.