PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs put strange mix of receivers on field at end of Raiders game

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Chiefs put strange mix of receivers on field at end of Raiders game (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1461139.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs were down to their final attempt to rescue Sunday’s game from the Oakland Raiders when Matt Cassel dropped back to pass. A quick scan of the field told Cassel that among his receiving options were a seventh-round draft pick playing in his first NFL game and a running back who wasn’t deemed valuable enough by his coaches to suit up for the previous week’s game in Baltimore.

So it’s little wonder Cassel’s fourth-down pass went incomplete, securing the Chiefs’ 13-10 loss — their third straight against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium.

The Chiefs had an idea when they traded Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez last spring they were leaving their group of receivers short on experience and ability.

They couldn’t have known that on the biggest offensive play of a game the Chiefs desperately needed to win, Cassel would be throwing to — among others — rookie tight end Jake O’Connell and the running back, Dantrell Savage. Cassel’s pass went toward O’Connell, who couldn’t make the catch.

Cassel’s other receivers on the play were Dwayne Bowe, Mark Bradley and Bobby Wade. Normally Wade would have been an odd choice to put on the field in such a situation given the fact he joined the Chiefs only last week. But he quickly developed into Cassel’s favorite receiver with six catches against the Raiders.

Coach Todd Haley was unavailable Monday to explain the curious mix of receivers the Chiefs used and whether they would go with that combination when they spread the field in this Sunday’s game against the Eagles in Philadelphia.

Haley and the Chiefs don’t have a deep reservoir of receivers to draw from. But among those who weren’t available to Cassel on the play in question were the Chiefs’ two fastest offensive players, rookie wide receiver Quinten Lawrence and running back Jamaal Charles.

Lawrence hasn’t mastered the playbook and dropped plenty of passes during training camp. While he is clearly not ready for a major role, on one play he could have given the Raiders a deep threat to consider.

Charles was inactive against the Raiders, in effect trading places with Savage, who didn’t play in Baltimore. Charles said Monday that the coaches haven’t told him why he didn’t play against Oakland.

“I still don’t even know,” he said.

Against the Raiders, Savage replaced Charles as running back in obvious passing situations. He was one of the busiest Chiefs against Oakland, catching six passes for 43 yards and rushing three times for 26 yards.

He did a nice job at times. He made a couple of Oakland defenders miss in the open field on a screen pass in the fourth quarter.

He also dropped a pass on the Chiefs’ initial third-down play of the game and heard about it from Haley on returning to the sideline. He was the receiver on the infamous pass on the last play of the first half and couldn’t get out of bounds, costing the Chiefs a chance at a field goal.

Savage is more reliable than Charles, who has frequently fumbled. But he doesn’t have Charles’ game-breaking speed and at only 182 pounds can be easier to bring down by opposing defenders.

Also on the sideline for the Chiefs were Bobby Engram and his 648 career catches and running back Larry Johnson. Engram is 36 but has shown the knack for finding seams in coverage. The Chiefs take Johnson out of the game in most obvious passing situations because he’s a liability as a pass blocker and merely adequate as a receiver.

McNabb might play

Eagles coach Andy Reid told reporters in Philadelphia that quarterback Donovan McNabb has a chance to play against the Chiefs. McNabb sat out Sunday’s loss to New Orleans because of a broken rib.

Reid said Kevin Kolb and not Michael Vick would start at quarterback if McNabb doesn’t play. Kolb started against the Saints and passed for 391 yards.

Pioli Zombie
09-22-2009, 05:45 AM
What is Teichers effen point?
He makes it sound at first like Bowe,Bradley, and Wade weren't out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

cookster50
09-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Weak

Pioli Zombie
09-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Yes, the Chiefs lost because Bobby Engram wasn't out there.
Shut up, You!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-22-2009, 06:51 AM
I think it was stupid sitting Bradley the whole fucking game. I know he made bad decesions regarding gettint to the first down marker but he'sgot great hands and gets open.

I see Haley wearing thin by mid season. Who in their right mind wants to work for a boss that belittles you and cusses you in front of 80,000 people and the national audience.

Christofire
09-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Bowe, Bradley and Bobby is potentially our most effective trio. I think we can do some damage if they're all out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Arrowhead
09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
I think it was stupid sitting Bradley the whole ****ing game. I know he made bad decesions regarding gettint to the first down marker but he'sgot great hands and gets open.

I see Haley wearing thin by mid season. Who in their right mind wants to work for a boss that belittles you and cusses you in front of 80,000 people and the national audience.

Herm is that you?

StcChief
09-22-2009, 06:59 AM
until Cassel and receivers get complete on same page. It's gonna be a while.
Losing a goto Guy like Gonzo is looming larger than a potential 55-60 overall in 2010.

ThunderChief
09-22-2009, 07:00 AM
I'll give Haley the benefit of the doubt. There's hardly a coach in the NFL that hasn't had the wrong personnel package on the field on occasion, especially deep into the heat of the battle when the game is on the line. It's no excuse but it happens.

Now if Haley planned that package, it's a different story but I'm guessing it's the former. Anyway, none of the Chief's receivers have so far struck fear into the hearts of opposing DCs and until that's the case, this story borders on being moot.

jidar
09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
I think it was stupid sitting Bradley the whole ****ing game. I know he made bad decesions regarding gettint to the first down marker but he'sgot great hands and gets open.

It can work if he brings success with it (Parcells), but if he isn't winning people aren't going to put up with it.

ChiefGator
09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
It was strange to see O'Connell lined up on the outside on so many plays, but I guess they like his hands. I think we would be better off with a speed guy out there, but maybe they were trying to suprise the Raiders and not tip their hand as to their expected formation. Still... I was surprised by that this game.

wasi
09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I got the feeling during the game that the Haley is really still figuring out what he has in terms of personnel. Sitting Charles in favour of Savage and playing O'Connell as much as he did, combined with this articles point of the receiver mix at the end just makes me believe it even more. It was the Raiders and sure it was a home game but it feels like they are seeing who can play and do the right things and they used the Raiders as a litmus test.

58kcfan89
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
It scares me that Charles doesn't know why he didn't play. I'm still in the IP/HWT mode, but it'd be nice to know exactly why he didn't play. If it was to "send a message," that's kinda dumb. We're not at the point right now where we can bench players because they screw up, there's just not enough depth.

Maybe at some point in the near future, we can sit a player like Charles because he screwed up with little to no dropoff in talent, but we're not there yet. I'm hoping Haley has a better reason than the fact that he screwed up against Baltimore or in practice...

HemiEd
09-22-2009, 11:18 AM

I don't believe the 2009 Chiefs will be playing before a "National Audience" this season.

Just Passin' By
09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
All offseason long, people were bitching that this team only had one NFL receiver and a bunch of scrubs. Now people are complaining because a couple of the scrubs weren't in the game.

I can understand people who would wonder why available receivers (i.e. Matt Jones) haven't been signed, even if they with baggage issues. It's a legitimate question, even if you can figure out the answer, because the validity of the answer is at least debatable. I can understand people who wonder why someone like Pope hasn't been signed, even though he's been a disappointment throughout his career, because the tight ends currently on the roster have been playing poorly to this point.

What I can't understand is why people care which 'scrub' that's already on the team's roster is playing in the game.

teedubya
09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
If the Chiefs keep losing and Haley keeps screaming and belittleing... then most likely the players will start tuning him out... and there will be a lot of locker room dissent... followed by the purging of a lot of players.

They need a win, without that, all of the yelling and screaming would get old.

bobbything
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
What is Teichers effen point?
He makes it sound at first like Bowe,Bradley, and Wade weren't out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's exactly what I was thinking. Who was supposed to be out there, if not Bradley, Bowe, and Wade? The "strange mix of receivers" just so happens to be our three best receivers.

09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
If the Chiefs keep losing and Haley keeps screaming and belittleing... then most likely the players will start tuning him out... and there will be a lot of locker room dissent... followed by the purging of a lot of players.

The real question is would the purge be a good or bad thing. I don't see how it can get any worse then it has been the last 3 years. I also think you are going to see a purge of the roster either way, they want more pioli guys in the fold.

htismaqe
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM

I must have missed all the yelling and screaming again.

What I see is a coach trying to get a GOD AWFUL group of players to try and do something smart for a change.

FAX
09-22-2009, 12:07 PM

I have arrived at the opinion that Haley's yelling and screaming at players is, to a certain extent, somewhat of a media creation.

He may be a passionate guy, but I don't think he's all that much more volatile than a lot of other NFL coaches. We've just emerged from the DV/Herm era and we're used to guys who cry and hug and tongue a lot.

Based on what I've read, the players are developing an honest, legitimate respect for Haley. They now have a coach who feels real pain after a loss and actually takes responsibility for his own sh*t. Although it's true that, eventually, a team will abandon their luggage and leap off the train when an HC combines too much hardassery with an overabundance of losery, we have a long way to go before we arrive at that station.

FAX

Demonpenz
09-22-2009, 12:10 PM
hailey is embarrassing himself by losing the the raiders and acting like a jackass who can't control his emotions, his team, or his coaches on the sideline

MMXcalibur
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Only reason McNabb MIGHT play is because Reid knows the pass rush they're facing isn't going to come close to putting any grass stains on McNabb's uniform.