PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley Ends QB Controversy

Hammock Parties
09-24-2009, 05:19 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/902635.html

Thursday, after the initial report of a possible quarterback controversy came earlier this week, Todd Haley finally said the magic words that could have put it all to rest three days ago, or better yet, prevented most of it.

“I want to be clear that there’s no doubt in my mind that Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794) gives us the best chance to win,” he said. “But also I will stay with what I say, that if that ever changes, I’ll stand by what I believe in - put the guys out there that have the best chance.”

There’s no debate now and not a shred of deceit in Haley’s voice when he said he thought Cassel gave the Chiefs the best chance to win. So, if he believes that, why not just come right out and say it three days ago? Why not crush any possibility of a controversy instantly? The only logical explanation is that Haley wanted to send the same message to Cassel, and more importantly the rest of his team. There are no “sacred cows.”

However, Cassel indicated Thursday that he wasn’t too bothered by anything that happened this week, and had hoped the head coach would be “in his corner.”

“It’s one of those things where I don’t read the papers,” he said. “I don’t do anything. I don’t really get involved, but he’s been consistent throughout the entire offseason, throughout the entire year…he wants to create competition, and that’s what it’s about. That’s fine with me. I’m ready for the competition if that’s what he wants to make it, but right now I do feel like coach is in my corner. He’s been very supportive of me throughout my entire time here, and we’re just trying to get better and move forward.”

Message received.

Often, coaches, general managers, and players in sports say they don’t read the paper, listen to the radio, or watch TV, at least when it pertains to them. Almost as often as they say it, they’re lying. At Carl Peterson’s farewell speech, he openly admitted he read everything that was written about him, so if Cassel, in fact, does not pay attention to the media, why not?

“I just think it’s a distraction,” he said. “It becomes a distraction, because every week there’s a different story. I learned that real early in my career, especially even going through it last year. People are going to write things and there’s always stories to be told, and it might not even be a story, but to me, in this building, the only people that really matter to me are the coaches, the players, and what I have to do on a weekly basis. Everything else doesn’t really matter.”

Finally moving past the quarterback controversy that wasn’t, the Chiefs actually have a game this weekend against the Philadelphia Eagles. On paper, Philadelphia is a team that should chew up the Chiefs and spit them out, but this Eagles team is limping into Sunday’s contest after a drubbing at the hands of the Saints in Week 2.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347397), wide receiver DeSean Jackson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347388) and running back Brian Westbrook (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347405) have still not practiced this week. Wide receiver Kevin Curtis (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347366) and safety Quintin Demps (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347380) have only practiced partially, and guard Todd Herremans (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347387) and cornerback Dimitri Patterson are listed as out for Sunday. Does Haley look at Philly’s injury report? Does it change the Chiefs’ preparation?

“I think you’ve got to assume that those guys are going to be full go,” said Haley. “I think if you go into it any other way it’ll cause you problems, so I’m just assuming that all those guys will get healthy and be out there versus the Chiefs and full go.”

But if McNabb and the others don’t play, the Chiefs will be facing a team with a quarterback less experienced as a starter than Cassel, a rookie running back and a depleted receiving corps. That would level the playing field a bit. Of course, the Chiefs have their share of injuries too.

Despite being listed as a partial participant at today’s practice, Derrick Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307508) said he’d be out for Sunday due to a strained groin suffered last week against Oakland. Also listed as partial participants were Cassel, Brandon Flowers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307445), Jake O’Connell and Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307406), who has a hamstring issue that Haley is hopeful will clear up.

Cassel, Flowers, and Brian Waters (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307563) are nursing injuries they were able to overcome and play with last week, while O’Connell and Bowe’s injuries are new. It’s probably safe to say Cassel, Flowers and Waters will be just fine Sunday, but the others are question marks. They technically practiced, but so did Johnson, who isn’t playing, so don’t be shocked if Bowe or O’Connell sit out Sunday.

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Thats what I expected him to say after all the Bullshit the media is trying to get going.I doubt anyone really thought there was a true question about who was the go QB for the Chiefs.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-24-2009, 05:24 PM
What a shitfest of a game this would be if McNabb, Jackson, and Westbrook were all out for Philly and Bowe for KC.

Tiger's Fan
09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Thats what I expected him to say after all the Bullshit the media is trying to get going.I doubt anyone really thought there was a true question about who was the go QB for the Chiefs.

You don't read the Planet much, eh?

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:26 PM
You don't read the Planet much, eh?

Everyday since 2003.There was never a real question about who Haley backed.

JD10367
09-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Exactly. The only QB "controversy" seems to have been amongst the clueless media, trying to stir something up. It was pretty apparent that Cassel would get every opportunity to nail down the job. Pioli brought in his boy, and paid him the dough, and they weren't about to bench him before he even had a chance to show his stuff in order to give the job to Brodie Croyle or Tyler Thigpen.

Tiger's Fan
09-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Everyday since 2003.There was never a real question about who Haley backed.

Guess you didn't notice all the people jump on the Croyle and fatlock bandwagon.

Saccopoo
09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
O'Connell is doubtful?!

Oh noes! We'll never get our epics now!

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Guess you didn't notice all the people jump on the Croyle and fatlock bandwagon.

Yes I did,but those people weren't going to decide who our QB was,so to me there opinions are shit!!!

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Exactly. The only QB "controversy" seems to have been amongst the clueless media, trying to stir something up. It was pretty apparent that Cassel would get every opportunity to nail down the job. Pioli brought in his boy, and paid him the dough, and they weren't about to bench him before he even had a chance to show his stuff in order to give the job to Brodie Croyle or Tyler Thigpen.

Just like the Eagles.Do you really think Mc Nabb is going to lose his spot to Ron Mexico? There starting that shit every time they talk about Mc Nabb not being able to go.Utter BULLSHIT!!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
O'Connell is doubtful?!

Oh noes! We'll never get our epics now!

I was thinking with Dmitri Patterson out for Philly, the passing game will really open up ;)

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Yeah can you imagine the media massacre if they benched Cassel for any Qb on our roster?The only thing that will keep Cassel out of the starting line up in injury.A year from now or maybe a little longer might be another story,but for now Cassel has free reign at the starting job.

orange
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Haley Ends QB Controversy

I'm afraid I must disagree. Only Matt Cassel can end the controversy. He has to stop sucking and start winning.

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm afraid I must disagree. Only Matt Cassel can end the controversy. He has to stop sucking and start winning.

Well He's only 3 pro bowl o lineman,2 pro bowl wide outs,and TG away from being Joe Montana according to the Cassel-ites!!!!ROFL

htismaqe
09-24-2009, 05:45 PM

ROFL

If the coaches back Cassel, then it really doesn't matter what the fans and media think. It's not a controversy. Period.

htismaqe
09-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Well He's only 3 pro bowl o lineman,2 pro bowl wide outs,and TG away from being Joe Montana according to the Cassel-ites!!!!ROFL

Those excuses seem to work for Brodie Croyle, so why wouldn't they be equally valid for Cassel?

orange
09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
ROFL

If the coaches back Cassel, then it really doesn't matter what the fans and media think. It's not a controversy. Period.

What fans and media think - that's what "controversy" is.

The coaches can continue to play Cassel but don't expect the media and forums to shut up and take it.

memyselfI
09-24-2009, 05:50 PM
The words 'best chance to win' are the kiss of death to QBs in KC. Cassel's been cursed. Poor guy, he did not deserve this.

JD10367
09-24-2009, 05:50 PM

I think most Chiefs fans would disagree with you. I don't think Cassel has sucked. Sure, occasionally, he's taken a few tongue-licks at the head. But, by and large, compared to the open-mouth, saliva-drooling, deep-throat-moaning cock-gobbling you guys are used to at quarterback, Cassel's been a decent improvement. Can he play better? Sure. Especially once he's healthy. But he's not exactly surrounded by the best and the brightest, and he's in a new system with a new coach and new players. And he's still looked better than Tom Brady, with the exception of five late minutes against Buffalo.

htismaqe
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
What fans and media think - that's what "controversy" is.

The coaches can continue to play Cassel but don't expect the media and forums to shut up and take it.

It doesn't matter if they shut up and take it or not. A real controversy is grounded in a dispute. There's no dispute here - Cassel is the QB until Haley decides otherwise.

What the fans and media think constitutes sensationalism but it's not possible to manufacture a controversy without a dispute.

Simply Red
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes I did,but those people weren't going to decide who our QB was,so to me there opinions are shit!!!

dogmatic? sure.

htismaqe
09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I think most Chiefs fans would disagree with you. I don't think Cassel has sucked. Sure, occasionally, he's taken a few tongue-licks at the head. But, by and large, compared to the open-mouth, saliva-drooling, deep-throat-moaning cock-gobbling you guys are used to at quarterback, Cassel's been a decent improvement. Can he play better? Sure. Especially once he's healthy. But he's not exactly surrounded by the best and the brightest, and he's in a new system with a new coach and new players. And he's still looked better than Tom Brady, with the exception of five late minutes against Buffalo.

The funniest part of this is the last line - he needs to starting WINNING. I've heard the radio talking heads on WHB say the same thing.

And the guy they want to replace Cassel with hasn't WON A SINGLE GAME in a season's worth of tries.

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Those excuses seem to work for Brodie Croyle, so why wouldn't they be equally valid for Cassel?

To me they dont work for either guy..Its been said around here that he's only as good as who we put around him.If thats the mindset we could have brought in anybody.

orange
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
The funniest part of this is the last line - he needs to starting WINNING. I've heard the radio talking heads on WHB say the same thing.

And the guy they want to replace Cassel with hasn't WON A SINGLE GAME in a season's worth of tries.

And every 0-1 that Cassel adds to his Chiefs record removes that much difference from him and Croyle.

Simply Red
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM

how intelligent yet simple this post is.

Bane
09-24-2009, 05:57 PM
And every 0-1 that Cassel adds to his Chiefs record removes that much difference from him and Croyle.

Sad but true.

htismaqe
09-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Wrong.

Cassel could lose every game he starts this year and still have one HUGE advantage over Croyle:

It took Brodie THREE SEASONS to amass that record because he can't stay on the fucking field!

boogblaster
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
QB = Cassel for better or worse .. he's still a big improvement over anyone else ...

2bikemike
09-24-2009, 07:31 PM
IMHO I think we will see this offense make progress as the year goes on. Cassel has had one regular season game in this offense. Haley has had Two regular season games to be HC and OC. The right side of the O-line has been in flux since I don't know when. All this media bullshit is just that bullshit. Nobody know what this offense will be at the end of the year.

I say take a deep breath and lets see what we have at the end of the year after the team has had a chance to gel.

splatbass
09-24-2009, 09:45 PM
IMHO I think we will see this offense make progress as the year goes on. Cassel has had one regular season game in this offense. Haley has had Two regular season games to be HC and OC. The right side of the O-line has been in flux since I don't know when. All this media bullshit is just that bullshit. Nobody know what this offense will be at the end of the year.

I say take a deep breath and lets see what we have at the end of the year after the team has had a chance to gel.

I agree. I think the team will get better as the season goes on. I also think this upcoming string of tough games will be good for them even if they lose. Playing against tough opponents will make them better when they get to the easier games at the end of the season.