PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kent Ball(Babb): Derrick Johnson says he won’t play Sunday

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Chiefs notebook | Derrick Johnson says he won’t play Sunday (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1467739.html)
By KENT BALL
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson said Thursday that he won’t play against Philadelphia because of a nagging groin injury that forced him to leave Sunday’s game against Oakland.

The team listed him as limited in Thursday’s practice, indicating that he’d be questionable to play against the Eagles, but Johnson said there was little doubt he’d be on the sideline. And he said it was more disappointing because of his performances in the Chiefs’ first two games, when he had an interception and a sack — perhaps his best two-game stretch since Kansas City drafted him in the first round in 2005.

“Bad timing,” Johnson said. “It’s always bad timing if you’re hurt.”

The timing was worse because Johnson, who was demoted to reserve linebacker late in the preseason, seemed to be regaining coach Todd Haley’s faith. Johnson had been benched after suffering a hamstring injury during the preseason, and he spent time with the Chiefs’ third-team defense, a steep drop for one of Kansas City’s longest-tenured defenders and a player the team expected to be an impact player this season.

He said his groin muscle had been tight recently and it took a turn for the worse Sunday.

Johnson said he expected to travel to Philadelphia with the Chiefs and hoped to return to practice next week.

Dorsey says he notices improved conditioning

Second-year defensive end Glenn Dorsey said that he has begun noticing a difference since Haley emphasized a tough conditioning program in the offseason. It was a program that Dorsey didn’t immediately respond well to.

Dorsey needed several days to pass a mandatory conditioning test before being allowed to join his teammates at practices during training camp. Dorsey, the Chiefs’ top draft pick last year, spent nearly a week on a side field, working on a stationary bike and lugging equipment before finally practicing.

Dorsey said that, despite the rough start, he’s in better shape and that it has begun to pay dividends.

“He (Haley) has been preaching to me since I got here,” Dorsey said, “that I’ve got to lose some weight and get in shape. I’m getting closer and closer, and I’m seeing a difference on the field.”

He had four solo tackles and batted down a pass in last week’s 13-10 loss against Oakland.

“I did OK,” he said. “I’ve still got a lot of things I’ve got to work on, too. Everything is headed in the right direction.”

Chiefs hope to stop Vick and wildcat

Dorsey said the Chiefs won’t be taken by surprise if Philadelphia runs offensive plays out of the wildcat formation. The team also will be ready, Dorsey said, if Michael Vick makes an appearance.

According to reports, Vick is expected to play Sunday, his first game since having his eligibility restored after a prison sentence and a suspension for his part in a dogfighting ring.

Dorsey said Vick’s past isn’t the Chiefs’ concern. Stopping him, however, is.

“If he’s in the game, we’re going to be ready for it,” Dorsey said. “We go through it enough in practice. You’ve got to have your adjustments ready and just line up in the right spots, and you’ll be all right.”

Texans sign Pollard

The Houston Texans have signed former Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who started all 16 games last year but was waived before the start of this season.

Pollard’s position coach with the Chiefs was David Gibbs, now the defensive-backfield coach in Houston.

Injury report

Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe was limited in Thursday’s practice because of a leg injury, Haley said.

“I’m hopeful that will clear up,” Haley said.

Quarterback Matt Cassel (knee), cornerback Brandon Flowers (shoulder), tight end Jake O’Connell (ankle) and left guard Brian Waters (ankle) also were limited Thursday.

For Philadelphia, wide receiver DeSean Jackson (groin), running back Brian Westbrook (ankle) and quarterback Donovan McNabb (rib) did not practice. Wide receiver Kevin Curtis (knee) and safety Quintin Demps (hamstring) were limited.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Texans sign Pollard

The Houston Texans have signed former Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who started all 16 games last year but was waived before the start of this season.

Go get that Ring, Bonecrusher.:D

Hammock Parties
09-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Go get that Ring, Bonecrusher.:D

The one from the box of cracker jacks?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 12:20 AM
The one from the box of cracker jacks?

No, the crispy, golden-fried one from the Jack in the Box near your domicile that he's going to shove straight up your ass!

HemiEd
09-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Well shit, first I had heard about DBowe having an injury. Hopefully Flowers will have a better game this week.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Well shit, first I had heard about DBowe having an injury. Hopefully Flowers will have a better game this week.

Flowers was playing with an injury on Sunday.

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Stay Down Bitch curse

HemiEd
09-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Flowers was playing with an injury on Sunday.
Yeah, and apparantly he still has it, thus my post. I hope he has made some progress.

Stay Down Bitch curse

Who said that, one of the players? Or are you referencing Clayton's odd numbered posts?

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Who said that, one of the players? Or are you referencing Clayton's odd numbered posts?

Clayton on Robert Gallery's injury

HemiEd
09-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Clayton on Robert Gallery's injury

Yeah, I remember that. Injuries suck no matter who it is.

T-post Tom
09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Long balls Derrick?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ogdAhF-ABs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ogdAhF-ABs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BossChief
09-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Haley is gonna punch DJ in the face when he finds out he gave out controlled information.

It may not be life or death, but now all Philly has to do is focus on what it takes to get the most out of its efforts against Williams, who has many weaknesses they will be able to focus on.

DJ needs to lose the dumb and get with the program if he is to have any shot at earning his starting spot back.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-25-2009, 06:41 AM
DJ is on the bench, in a contract year. DJ has had too many years of being Coddled by DV and Herm.

He isn't 'dumb'. He is just playing dumb. He is trying to write his ticket out of town.

GoHuge
09-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Well when you go and declare yourself as out on a thursday in the NFL that shit isn't gonna fly. Whether it be the toughness factor or breaking the fort knox mentality out at One Arrowhead it makes him look really dumb, or look like a real pussy in the macho NFL. Petro has talked about how he has never had to have surgery for any of the litany of injuries over his career. Which is why he's in Haley's dog house. If he's not trying to get out of KC on purpose he's going to have to take the panties off and try to play through some of there nicks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Crashride
09-25-2009, 07:30 AM
more of the same. this dude is always injured.

htismaqe
09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Haley is gonna punch DJ in the face when he finds out he gave out controlled information.

It may not be life or death, but now all Philly has to do is focus on what it takes to get the most out of its efforts against Williams, who has many weaknesses they will be able to focus on.

DJ needs to lose the dumb and get with the program if he is to have any shot at earning his starting spot back.

DJ has many weaknesses they can focus on too. He's not a savior.

He's not even "good".

R&GHomer
09-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Well if DJ is trying to get out of here then I say good riddance to his broke dick underachieving ass.

BigChiefFan
09-25-2009, 09:49 AM
D.J. has played pretty well in coverage this year. I'd like to see him improve his overall game, but I think he might finally be getting there. I'd like to see us re-sign him, IF he continues to improve every week and he isn't expecting a huge salary.

HemiEd
09-25-2009, 10:33 AM
DJ has many weaknesses they can focus on too. He's not a savior.

He's not even "good".

You make an interesting point. I remember looking at all the videos etc. posted on here, immediately prior to the Chiefs winning the lottery, and having him fall to them.

I must say, he was not the physical specimen I expected to see. He looked soft, with a high percentage of body fat. It was surprising.

CoMoChief
09-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Isn't he in a contract year? Does Kansas City re-sign him?

htismaqe
09-25-2009, 12:51 PM

Nope.

The Franchise
09-25-2009, 12:56 PM

If we do....it better be a really small contract. He doesn't deserve big money.

CaliforniaChief
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Here's how I look at it. The guy's underperformed to expectations almost his entire career. Sure, there are flashes of talent but it's never been consistent. If he busts out and plays extraordinarily well, you just almost have to discount it as a "contract drive" and wonder where the drive's been up until now. Unless you think Haley's system can get that kind of improvement out of him. *shrugs*

ThunderChief
09-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure of my feelings or assessment of DJ. When he first donned a Chief's uniform he looked all-world for a couple of plays, chasing down the ball from the backside while attempting strips. I thought, "Oh, my!, this is the guy we've been wanting!"

Then, it seemed like he shut it down and decided that being good was good enough, with no attempt at being great. Ever since, he'll flash that early form but only flash. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and still do, but it's getting kind of late.

philfree
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
If DJ says he's gonna be out come game time and it's Thursday he must not want to play very damn bad. Most guys would be doing everything in their power so they could play on Sunday but DJ seems to be throwing in the towel. WTF?

PhilFree:arrow:

penguinz
09-25-2009, 03:10 PM
DJ's biggest injury is the muscle in his chest cavity. The dude has no heart.

ModSocks
09-25-2009, 03:16 PM
DJ's biggest injury is the muscle in his chest cavity. The dude has no heart.

QFT