PDA

View Full Version : Football Cupcakes are getting terribly expensive - Bill Snyder unhappy

Lzen
09-25-2009, 08:03 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1467658.html

Snyder dislikes taking K-State on the road for nonconference games

By KELLIS ROBINETT

The Kansas City Star

MANHATTAN, Kan. | Bill Snyder longs for the good ol’ days when Kansas State’s nonconference football schedule looked like a dessert tray.

Lots of home games, plenty of stress-free opportunities allowing his team to warm up for the conference season. As the wins piled up against the creampuffs, they tasted better and better. Plus, they were affordable.
It was his idea to schedule that way, and he still believes it is the best philosophy out there. Build confidence with wins early; reap the benefits of a bowl game late.
In the recent weeks, Snyder has voiced his displeasure about the schedule he inherited — which included back-to-back road trips to Louisiana-Lafayette and UCLA that has left K-State 1-2 heading into Saturday’s game against Tennessee Tech.
“Nonconference games should be played at home,” he said.
Athletic director John Currie, who works hand in hand with Snyder to build future schedules, is doing his best to make Snyder happy.
There’s just one problem.
“You can’t buy games like you used to,” Currie said.
In the last decade, teams have followed Snyder’s scheduling model and encountered a wildly expensive bidding war for nonconference home games.
In the past, a Big 12 team such as Kansas State could wave a low-six-figure check in the air and prospective opponents from small conferences would line up to make a trip to Manhattan.
Now those opponents are demanding close to a million bucks.
Sun Belt Conference commissioner Wright Waters said that has put his teams in a fabulous position.
“As the price started to go up, what we realized is that to the biggest schools out there, the ones with lots of tradition, it didn’t matter,” Waters said. “They had no problem paying $750,000 or more for a game. They just wrote the check. But the lower-level BCS teams, they couldn’t keep up.”
Because of that, the teams in Waters’ league are landing huge paydays when they sign up for nonconference road games.
That’s bad news for Kansas State, which Currie said has never paid more than $575,000 for a nonconference home game.
“I’ve got a slot next year,” Currie said. “We only have five home games on our schedule and we need another. Two of the teams I’ve talked to are (I-A) schools who already have million-dollar offers on the table from other BCS schools. We can’t pay somebody, right now, a million dollars for a game.”
The teams that can, Currie said, bring in $4 million to $5 million from home games. Currie estimated Kansas State profits $1.3 million per home game.
Currie says it will take a compromise. He will always shoot for six home games and in a good year will have seven.
He wants to help Snyder recreate his beloved schedules of old, but he admits the days of playing nonconference games exclusively at home are in the past.
“It’s a great philosophy,” Currie said. “But we have to approach things realistically. We’re not going to play eight home games anymore. We can’t afford it.”

<!-- -->
Posted on Thu, Sep. 24, 2009 10:37 PM

Lzen
09-25-2009, 08:04 AM
And before you KSU fans get your panties in a bunch, I just posted this because I found it shocking what they are paying out nowadays for these types of games. Craziness, I tell ya.

HC_Chief
09-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Can't blame him; the BCS encourages BCS Conference teams playing pillow-soft non-con schedules. Lose a non-con, you are pretty much out of contention.

Demonpenz
09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
can't take the st. joe outta that guy, get him a coors and a bug zapper

L.A. Chieffan
09-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Sun Belt Conference wins the Donald T. Sterling Award. Congratulations!

Saulbadguy
09-25-2009, 08:33 AM
can't take the st. joe outta that guy, get him a coors and a bug zapper

:clap:

Skip Towne
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Furman isn't available?

sedated
09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Lose a non-con, you are pretty much out of contention.

that's not exactly true. when was the last time a team was undefeated in the national championship game?

considering the overwhelming thought that a team need to be undefeated to get to the championship game, its been a few years since that's actually happened.

hawkchief
09-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Wah, wah, wha ............. poor grandpa Bill :(

Buehler445
09-25-2009, 09:28 AM
that's not exactly true. when was the last time a team was undefeated in the national championship game?

considering the overwhelming thought that a team need to be undefeated to get to the championship game, its been a few years since that's actually happened.

Wasn't Ohio State that year that ESPN was all clamoring for a Michigan OSU championship game?

I know they got flat out embarrassed, but still.
Posted via Mobile Device

58kcfan89
09-25-2009, 09:29 AM
It doesn't help that we (K-State) suck right now. I'm willing to bet that if we had an experienced (or talented for that matter) QB or a few OL who can pass block, we'd be 3-0 or at worst 2-1.

It's gunna be a long year. F'ing Ronald...

Buehler445
09-25-2009, 09:31 AM
It doesn't help that we (K-State) suck right now. I'm willing to bet that if we had an experienced (or talented for that matter) QB or a few OL who can pass block, we'd be 3-0 or at worst 2-1.

It's gunna be a long year. F'ing Ronald...

I like Snyder. Even though he's a rival coach, but he may have bitten off more than he can chew with this one. The game has changed dramatically since he experienced any success.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
09-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I like Snyder. Even though he's a rival coach, but he may have bitten off more than he can chew with this one. The game has changed dramatically since he experienced any success.
Posted via Mobile Device

6 years? Really?

Skip Towne
09-25-2009, 09:52 AM
6 years? Really?

College offenses have completely changed in the last 6 years. And I suppose the defenses had to change as well. Snyder can probably catch up to that though. His strength has always been making something out of nothing. He recruits kids nobody else wants and makes good players out of them.

Dante84
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Bitten off more than he can chew?

He took the single worst team in division 1 to the brink of a national championship and 11 straight bowl games.

As far as the game changing, I'm pretty sure he's in tune with what's going on in college football. He eats, sleeps, and breathes it.

He retired on a down year, Prince took that down year and raped it and spit in its gaping wound of an asshole, and then sued it for 3 million dollars when it asked him to leave.

Our team is trash right now. And it will be for about two years. Prince=Herm.

If Snyder gets the program half-way respectable, he has done his job and can hand it off to whoever is right for it the next time. And this time, there is a new AD and President picking.

58kcfan89
09-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

As a K-State homer, I'm obviously going to disagree...

It's not hard to see that K-State's a helluva lot better coached this season than at any point in the last 3. I also think they looked leaps and bounds better against UCLA than they did the week before against Louisiana (and even better than the opener against UMass). Not that it's saying a lot, but it's worth noting.

The cupboard is not exactly bare, but there is a lot of work to do and Snyder knows that. He's more than willing to put in the effort required to turn this team around. It won't happen overnight and I don't think Snyder will turn us completely around (like, back to 1998-2003 around), but I do think he'll make it easy for us to make bowl games and make K-State an attractive job for our next coach, which is what we need right now.

Spicy McHaggis
09-25-2009, 10:08 AM
He retired on a down year, Prince took that down year and raped it and spit in its gaping wound of an asshole, and then sued it for 3 million dollars when it asked him to leave

I thought he had a couple down years before he left. Can't remember the exact records but something around 5-6 consecutively.

I agree with your statement about if he can get the program just heading in the right direction he'll have done his job. I'm a KU guy but what Ron Prince did just doesn't sit well with me. I'm pulling for the Cats to get the ship righted, especially since I've got a younger brother who is now a freshman there. Mizzou can go to hell, but I don't mind seeing both Kansas schools having success.

Buehler445
09-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Oooh. Looks like I hurt some feelers.

First. I wouldn't call his last couple years success. So you're looking at close to a decade since he fielded an elite team. But that is neither here nor there.

Second, if you don't think college ball has changed a lot, you're dreaming. the spread has changed a lot, there is now a significant emphasis on speed that wasn't around before and the college game now is just played entirely different. FFS, MICHIGAN is running the spread. Another big change is the amount of dollars flowing into major programs. Oregon hadn't gone bat-shit crazy yet and T Boone Pickens hadn't decided to build a legacy yet.

The biggest difference IMO, is the disparity between top of the line recruits that KU and KState have 0 chance of getting, and the 2nd tier players that we can get. You can't put together a team of nobodies anymore like Nebraska used to do and just make them tougher than everyone else. It just doesn't work that way anymore. You have to convince talent to come, keep it out of trouble, and get it to buy into your system.

IMO something has to change structurally before teams like KU and KState can become elite teams.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
09-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh. The other thing is that this is a young man's game. Older coaches tend to struggle as of late.
Posted via Mobile Device

boogblaster
09-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Snyder will build a team .. he not that far out of sink ...

tomahawk kid
09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
And before you KSU fans get your panties in a bunch, I just posted this because I found it shocking what they are paying out nowadays for these types of games. Craziness, I tell ya.

The smaller schools know they're in demand as opponents since the BCS encourages automatic wins instead of competition in the non-con. As a result they've (wisely) raised their asking price to come into a BCS team's home field to get their asses kicked.

For example, when SMU backed out on MU for last weekend's date this spring - Mizzou tried to schedule Grambling. Grambling's asking price was rumored to be astronomical. Furman is the only school that accepted Mizzou's invitation to play and I think MU still had to pay them quite a bit of money.

It's supply and demand.

HemiEd
09-25-2009, 11:06 AM
This is actually good news, it should help the smaller schools become more competitive.

Maybe it is the perfect time for WSU to resurrect their football program.

Bill Parcells would be the perfect person to come home, and spearhead the effort. :D

hawkchief
09-25-2009, 11:06 AM
With grandpa back at the helm, KSU might return to being one of the "little schools" itself.

Lzen
09-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Bitten off more than he can chew?

He took the single worst team in division 1 to the brink of a national championship and 11 straight bowl games.

As far as the game changing, I'm pretty sure he's in tune with what's going on in college football. He eats, sleeps, and breathes it.

He retired on a down year, Prince took that down year and raped it and spit in its gaping wound of an asshole, and then sued it for 3 million dollars when it asked him to leave.

Our team is trash right now. And it will be for about two years. Prince=Herm.

If Snyder gets the program half-way respectable, he has done his job and can hand it off to whoever is right for it the next time. And this time, there is a new AD and President picking.

From what I understand, Snyder wasn't doing too well in the area of recruiting his last few years. The question still remains "does he still have the desire (not to mention 'ability') to do what it takes to recruit good players?"

teedubya
09-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I doubt anyone wants to go to the middle of nowhere... to play for a dude, so old that he farts dust.

Good luck on your non-existent rebuild. It ain't happening.

RippedmyFlesh
09-25-2009, 11:52 AM

That is true but if your loss is to a creampuff no name you won't play for the title. Your 1 loss has to be to someone good .

bkkcoh
09-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Is it a function of supply and demand, where the demand is from Lawrence?

mikeyis4dcats.
09-25-2009, 04:32 PM
College offenses have completely changed in the last 6 years. And I suppose the defenses had to change as well. Snyder can probably catch up to that though. His strength has always been making something out of nothing. He recruits kids nobody else wants and makes good players out of them.

Snyder practically invented the Wildcat formation. He was ahead of his time. The spread won't scare him.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-25-2009, 04:34 PM
The smaller schools know they're in demand as opponents since the BCS encourages automatic wins instead of competition in the non-con. As a result they've (wisely) raised their asking price to come into a BCS team's home field to get their asses kicked.

For example, when SMU backed out on MU for last weekend's date this spring - Mizzou tried to schedule Grambling. Grambling's asking price was rumored to be astronomical. Furman is the only school that accepted Mizzou's invitation to play and I think MU still had to pay them quite a bit of money.

It's supply and demand.

This scenario is exactly why we are playing Tenn. Tech this weekend.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Snyder practically invented the Wildcat formation. He was ahead of his time. The spread won't scare him.

Can he hire Thiggy as his QB coach then? Please? Please? Can he, can he please?

Boon
09-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Only time will tell what the old man can do.
I think he will fail, setting KSU back again.

googlegoogle
09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
KU has played who?

Saulbadguy
09-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I doubt anyone wants to go to the middle of nowhere... to play for a dude, so old that he farts dust.

Good luck on your non-existent rebuild. It ain't happening.

And the middle of nowhere is an hour and 20 minutes from, comparatively, a football mecca, lead by a guy so fat, he sweats butter.

Good luck competing for your first conference title in 30 years...:)

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 08:01 PM
And the middle of nowhere is an hour and 20 minutes from, comparatively, a football mecca, lead by a guy so fat, he sweats butter.

ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
With grandpa back at the helm, KSU might return to being one of the "little schools" itself.

Look who came out to play. Where were you yesterday? I wanted to hear you rage on about thugs.

WilliamTheIrish
09-25-2009, 08:20 PM

LMAO

Coach
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh. The other thing is that this is a young man's game. Older coaches tend to struggle as of late.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden says "hi"

Coach
09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Oooh. Looks like I hurt some feelers.

First. I wouldn't call his last couple years success. So you're looking at close to a decade since he fielded an elite team. But that is neither here nor there.

Second, if you don't think college ball has changed a lot, you're dreaming. the spread has changed a lot, there is now a significant emphasis on speed that wasn't around before and the college game now is just played entirely different. FFS, MICHIGAN is running the spread. Another big change is the amount of dollars flowing into major programs. Oregon hadn't gone bat-shit crazy yet and T Boone Pickens hadn't decided to build a legacy yet.

The biggest difference IMO, is the disparity between top of the line recruits that KU and KState have 0 chance of getting, and the 2nd tier players that we can get. You can't put together a team of nobodies anymore like Nebraska used to do and just make them tougher than everyone else. It just doesn't work that way anymore. You have to convince talent to come, keep it out of trouble, and get it to buy into your system.

IMO something has to change structurally before teams like KU and KState can become elite teams.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kansas State has ran the spread offense with a mixure of option offense with Bishop, Beasley, and Roberson during the late 90's to early 00's. So what Michigan or West Virginia is doing is not exactly entirely true. They just run the spread offense formation more than what Kansas State used to.

Secondly, Kansas State never really recrutied big time players, because Bill felt that why waste effort and money on a bidding war on a recurit who, like Kansas State, have little to no shot at? Bill perfers to fall back to the second teir type of guys, guys who Kansas State can pick easily while the big boys try to get the best players in the country. That method Bill had implemented worked well for Kansas State, with the exception of 2004 and 2005.

Third, It will take at least a year to two for Kansas State to get the players to fill up the cupboard, if you will. They have a few nice players right now, but at key positions, they are hurting in terms of talent.

Coach
09-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh, and as for the scheduling issues and money, I would not be one bit suprised if some FBS teams decide to say "Fuck the FCS and their silly demands of money. Let's schedule some D-II teams."

Buehler445
09-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Kansas State has ran the spread offense with a mixure of option offense with Bishop, Beasley, and Roberson during the late 90's to early 00's. So what Michigan or West Virginia is doing is not exactly entirely true. They just run the spread offense formation more than what Kansas State used to.

Secondly, Kansas State never really recrutied big time players, because Bill felt that why waste effort and money on a bidding war on a recurit who, like Kansas State, have little to no shot at? Bill perfers to fall back to the second teir type of guys, guys who Kansas State can pick easily while the big boys try to get the best players in the country. That method Bill had implemented worked well for Kansas State, with the exception of 2004 and 2005.

Third, It will take at least a year to two for Kansas State to get the players to fill up the cupboard, if you will. They have a few nice players right now, but at key positions, they are hurting in terms of talent.

That's fair. I'm not real familiar with what KSU has ran in the past, and I certainly didn't come here for a pissing match, so I'll defer. I'd like the Big 12 North to get more competitive with the South (with KU coming out on top, of course). But frankly, I don't see Bill having what it takes to get it done in the current environment. It just seems like he was on his way out when he left. So it wouldn't make much sense to assume that he is better now than he was then.

I've heard some of my KSU homer friends talk about how good his assistant coaches are. This might be what does it. GOOD assistant coaches can do so much for a program.

But it remains to be seen. I will certainly be interested in the outcome.

Buehler445
09-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden says "hi"

Bowden hasn't put together a good team in years. Jo Pa had a good team last year (for the big televen), but they haven't had much before that for several years. They've always stuffed the run, but couldn't throw the ball.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Bowden hasn't put together a good team in years. Jo Pa had a good team last year (for the big televen), but they haven't had much before that for several years. They've always stuffed the run, but couldn't throw the ball.

I can't believe Jo Pa tolerated LJ. He must have been minding his P's and Q's, and running with heart back in College.

J Diddy
09-25-2009, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=Raised On Riots;6110191]I can't believe Jo Pa tolerated LJ. He must have been minding his P's and Q's, and running with heart back in College.[/QUOTEjo pa was too much of a man for lj to spit his drinks on.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2009, 11:57 PM
[quote=Raised On Riots;6110191]I can't believe Jo Pa tolerated LJ. He must have been minding his P's and Q's, and running with heart back in College.[/QUOTEjo pa was too much of a man for lj to spit his drinks on.

LMAO

ILChief
09-26-2009, 07:43 AM
“Nonconference games should be played at home,” he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------
what an asshat. using that logic, there would be no non-conference games as both teams can't be home.

ILChief
09-26-2009, 07:49 AM
this is the main thing wrong with college football. There should be some restrictions on the schedules. The NCAA should impose:

If you have 12 games, 6 should be home, 6 on the road. None of this BS with 8 home games and 4 road games.

In fact, I'd like the NCAA to set the schedule for teams. No Ohio State vs. Akron games or Florida vs. Troy. BCS vs. BCS in non-con.

Coach
09-26-2009, 10:36 PM
That's fair. I'm not real familiar with what KSU has ran in the past, and I certainly didn't come here for a pissing match, so I'll defer. I'd like the Big 12 North to get more competitive with the South (with KU coming out on top, of course). But frankly, I don't see Bill having what it takes to get it done in the current environment. It just seems like he was on his way out when he left. So it wouldn't make much sense to assume that he is better now than he was then.

I've heard some of my KSU homer friends talk about how good his assistant coaches are. This might be what does it. GOOD assistant coaches can do so much for a program.

But it remains to be seen. I will certainly be interested in the outcome.

The part I bolded is very spot-on.

FloridaMan88
09-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Kansas State can go back to playing their sorry-ass non-conference schedule and it will just delay the beatdown they will receive in conference play.