PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports AFL GRAND FINAL

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Anyone going to watch?

It should be a great spectacle with the two top teams competing for Australia’s premier sporting glory.

Personally I like Geelong, however I’m slightly biased as the St Kilda ended my teams season a game earlier... :(

Any who for any of you who plan to watch the game live or replayed have fun! It will be an awesome game and should be one of the all time classic games...

Cheers! :toast:

Disclaimers: I realize this will get like two posts... Don’t make fun!

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 08:52 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/Results/tabid/11433/default.aspx?display=1&seasonid=73&roundid=743&fixtureid=5241

Where and when: MCG, Sunday, September 26, 2.30pm AEST
Head to head: St Kilda 81 wins, Geelong 121 wins, no draws.
Last time: St Kilda 14.7 (91) d Geelong 13.7 (85), round 14, 2009, at Etihad Stadium

MISSING IN ACTION
St Kilda
Jarryd Allen (hip) - retired
Paul Cahill (broken ankle) - season
Xavier Clarke (ACL) - season
Sam McGarry (shoulder) – season

Geelong
Josh Hunt (knee) – season
Mitch Brown (foot) – season
Matthew Egan (foot) - season

FORM
St Kilda: LLWWW
Geelong: WLWWW

SUMMARY
All season long there have really been just the two teams in it – 14 others others challenged and, one by one, dropped off. Now it is up to the Saints and Cats to determine which is the best side of 2009.

At this stage it isn’t clear who the rightful winners are. Geelong has been brilliant over three seasons and deserves at least a second flag in that era. St Kilda goes in to the game with a breathtaking 22-2 record in 2009 and finished as minor premiers.
Each side has a tremendous cast of stars, all of whom shoulder a heavy responsibility this week. The Cats have been here for the past two years while most St Kilda players are new to the biggest stage in football.

PLAYER TO WATCH
Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
For all the superstars taking the field this Saturday, no one player is more valuable to his teams’ chances than the Saints skipper. He has been superb throughout the finals series despite carrying a nagging knee injury. He is most likely to be matched up by Harry Taylor but can be assured that, wherever he goes, he will have at least a couple of Cats conscious of his every move. If Geelong can shut him down they will win.

Jimmy Bartel (Geelong)
All the focus has been on Gary Ablett after his Brownlow win earlier in the week but Bartel could be the difference on Saturday. Conditions are expected to be wet and cold at the MCG, which suits the 2007 Brownlow medallist perfectly. The Saints will put a lot of work into Ablett, Joel Selwood and Joel Corey, but Bartel – in a demonstration of Geelong's midfield depth – might be able to sneak under the radar.

QUESTION MARKS
Will the wet weather suit the Cats?
You would have to say so. Geelong has been brilliant in a couple of soggy games at Skilled Stadium this year and enjoy being out in the elements. The Saints have played the majority of their season in the hermetically sealed Etihad Stadium and haven’t had much experience with wintry conditions. Bartel, Selwood, Corey and Cameron Ling relish these conditions and it may just come down to which side can get the early lead.

Can the Saints’ defensive style close down Geelong?
For much of last week’s game against the Bulldogs, St Kilda was the worse side. The Dogs broke the lines and ran the Saints off their feet in a manner that no other team has managed to do this year. St Kilda will be aware it has to tighten up its positioning in the zone to cut off the supply to dangerous forwards Paul Chapman and Steve Johnson.

WHO WILL WIN AND WHY
St Kilda was the more physical team last time they clashed and, while Geelong has rediscovered its top form over the past few weeks, the Saints still have their match. A lot rests on Riewoldt and to a lesser extent Hayes but they have been the best team all year and should go on to create history for their club.

PREDICTION
St Kilda by 14 points.

Buck
09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Whats the one they show on Spike?

I've been slowly learning how the game works just by watching it.

Rugby is gnarly man.

MMXcalibur
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
So, is this like the Super Bowl for Australia?

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Rugby is gnarly man.

Not quite Rugby but much better imo... Not exactly sure man, i think that may be AFL though..

Its an awesome game though... The only sport that rivals my love of Gridiron...

But the best part is that when the AFL season is finishing the NFL season begins.

All year round baby! lol :D

wild1
09-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Rugby is gnarly man.

rugby and australian football are different sports.

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
So, is this like the Super Bowl for Australia?

Basically... Its a huge event.. it held at the MCG every year with about 100,000 attending the event live alone...

Its basically the NFL of Australia with cricket being our baseball...

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Here are some highlights of the year for those who havnt seen any AFL before...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TGHjH68paI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TGHjH68paI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

big nasty kcnut
09-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Afl rules big fan of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs=Champions
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/images/01/mcg_290901-1-l.jpg

The MCG on Grand Final day...

Jerm
This game will be on ESPN Classic BTW.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Afl rules big fan of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice Nut! I suggest you tune into the game if you get a chance then.. Should be great!

wild1
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
at approximately what time?

CoMoChief
09-25-2009, 09:07 AM
The Americans should get a bunch of NFL RB's LB's and safeties and destroy other countries

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 09:10 AM
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/01/12/1gaz_(350_x_587).jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200806/r263713_1100160.jpg

Arguably the two best players in AFL are both playing in their respective sides in the game..

Gary Ablett (pictured first)

And Nick Riewoldt

I think its interesting to see what elite players look like in different sports.

MahiMike
09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
What time does AEST equate to?

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
The Americans should get a bunch of NFL RB's LB's and safeties and destroy other countries

If they can all punt the ball incredibly accurately and have the stamina of soccer players then sure why not lol

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
What time does AEST equate to?

Well if you google search a time zone converter and use Melbourne time that should work... i think...

wild1
09-25-2009, 09:16 AM
02:30:00 p.m. Saturday September 26, 2009 in Australia/Melbourne converts to
11:30:00 p.m. Friday September 25, 2009 in US/Central

Buck
09-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Anyone watching? This game is very interesting.

The only thing I dont get is what is the significance of the 50 meter line?

If you catch a punt from your teammate in that section you get a free kick?

HMc
09-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Basically... Its a huge event.. it held at the MCG every year with about 100,000 attending the event live alone...

Its basically the NFL of Australia with cricket being our baseball...

You're painting a misleading picture.

The NFL is the no 1 winter sport across the entire country. The AFL is NOT that.

Buck
09-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I did a lot of research and St Kilda looks like they were the best team this year but they haven't won an AFL Premiership. Geelong was just as great until the last few weeks of the season, and they had an AFL Premiership already (2007).

Thats a really cool game.

Bugeater
09-26-2009, 08:02 AM
I was watching that for a while last night, and I had no idea what the hell was going on. It just seemed like a bunch of guys throwing and kicking a football while assaulting each other.

And that graphic that was painted in the far end of the field to look like a sign was distracting as hell, I'd be pissed if the NFL ever did something like that.