PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Dorsey says he’s a better player this season

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Dorsey says he’s a better player this season (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1471275.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Glenn Dorsey pondered the notion for a second and, while picking at some tape on his football shoes, finally agreed. Yes, he said, it’s possible he could be a better player for the Chiefs this year and few people might know.

That can be what happens to a defensive end in a 3-4 defense.

“That could be,” said Dorsey, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick last year. “But I think people that really understand the game will see the difference in the way I’m playing. It might not show up on the stats, but the improvement is there.”

As proof, Dorsey can offer last week’s game against Oakland, probably the best of his professional career. Dorsey, who was credited with five tackles, was a big reason the Raiders rushed for just 67 yards and a feeble 2.7 per carry.

Dorsey had a chance to make a potentially game-changing play in the fourth quarter when he batted a JaMarcus Russell pass at the line of scrimmage. Had Dorsey made the catch instead of watching the ball fall harmlessly to the grass, he could have scored a touchdown or at least provided the offense with field position inside the Oakland 10.

If he’s to get noticed this season, Dorsey might have to make plays like that one. He comes out of the game on obvious passing downs, so his chances for sacks are limited.

Without the chance to drag down the opposing quarterback, it figures to be difficult for Dorsey to live up to his lofty draft position. The Chiefs selected Dorsey last year with the fifth pick in the draft.

Still, for what they’re asking him to do, the Chiefs are quietly encouraged.

“That was probably the best we’ve seen from him to date since we’ve been together,” defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast said. “He’s showing up more. But we’ve got 14 more to go, so hopefully he’ll continue to make progress.”

It’s somewhat of a surprise that the Chiefs are praising Dorsey this early in the season. They were unhappy with him at the start of their offseason conditioning program for showing up overweight and out of shape.

He then failed the Chiefs’ conditioning test at the start of training camp and missed the first couple of practice sessions.

Even head coach Todd Haley said he was impressed with Dorsey’s progress.

“He’s a guy that kind of let himself get away, shapewise and conditioningwise, in the offseason,” Haley said. “It was a long way back. He’s worked hard to get back. Now he’s finally in a position bodywise and conditionwise where he can really go to work now and start to see some improvement. I think he’s seeing that, and that’s leading to a little confidence on his part, and that’s all good stuff.

“The important thing is he stays where he’s at or better as far as conditioning and stays on top of that week in and week out and continues to let that confidence build.”

Dorsey said he intended to honor that request.

“He’s been preaching to me since (he) got here to lose some weight and get in shape,” Dorsey said. “I’m getting closer and closer and I’m seeing a difference on the field and in practice. It’s all for the better.”

It will be if all his games are like the one Dorsey played against Oakland.

“You could say that was my best game,” he said. “I was able to make a few plays. I was in the right position, and I knew what (the Raiders) were trying to do to us. I’m always looking at why I played (well) and I’ll try to do that this week.

“I did OK. I still have a lot of things I have to work on.”

Hammock Parties
09-25-2009, 11:30 PM
He is better. I wish he could rush the passer. The Chiefs don't even try to use him in pass-rushing situations. They prefer Magee and Jackson.

Vastly overpaid if he's not rushing the passer.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2009, 11:34 PM
He is better. I wish he could rush the passer. The Chiefs don't even try to use him in pass-rushing situations. They prefer Magee and Jackson.

Vastly overpaid if he's not rushing the passer.

It's their own fault for being so dogmatic about sticking in a 3-4 at all costs. At the very least, they should give some 4-3 under looks to have him shoot the gap.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2009, 11:42 PM
It's their own fault for being so dogmatic about sticking in a 3-4 at all costs. At the very least, they should give some 4-3 under looks to have him shoot the gap.

Oh, they do. His pass rush is just...not there. That's why he doesn't play in the nickel.

keg in kc
09-25-2009, 11:44 PM
[“That was probably the best we’ve seen from him to date since we’ve been together,” defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast said. “He’s showing up more. But we’ve got 14 more to go, so hopefully he’ll continue to make progress.”

It’s somewhat of a surprise that the Chiefs are praising Dorsey this early in the season. They were unhappy with him at the start of their offseason conditioning program for showing up overweight and out of shape.

He then failed the Chiefs’ conditioning test at the start of training camp and missed the first couple of practice sessions.

Even head coach Todd Haley said he was impressed with Dorsey’s progress.

“He’s a guy that kind of let himself get away, shapewise and conditioningwise, in the offseason,” Haley said. “It was a long way back. He’s worked hard to get back. Now he’s finally in a position bodywise and conditionwise where he can really go to work now and start to see some improvement. I think he’s seeing that, and that’s leading to a little confidence on his part, and that’s all good stuff.

“The important thing is he stays where he’s at or better as far as conditioning and stays on top of that week in and week out and continues to let that confidence build.”That's where I think the people who don't like Haley's approach so far need to pay attention. It's not all stick, there's some carrot, too.

ChiefsCountry
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM

Just think of the pass rush with Dorsey, Carlos Dunlap and Sidbury. :D

Mecca
09-25-2009, 11:49 PM

If the Chiefs are actually in position to take Dunlap and our scheme change means we don't take him that will be a rather upsetting day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-26-2009, 12:00 AM

You could do a hell of a lot worse than a front four of

RDE: Dunlap
3T: Dorsey
NT: Brace
LDE: Sidbury

with an OL of

Albert
Waters
Caldwell/Luigs
Duke Robinson
Britton

Protecting

Mark Sanchez

*facepalm*

Sure-Oz
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
I would love to see near the player i saw at LSU, i'm rooting for dorsey

Demonpenz
09-26-2009, 06:38 AM
it's still pretty early.

htismaqe
09-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Oh, they do. His pass rush is just...not there. That's why he doesn't play in the nickel.

He's drawing more than a few double-teams.

The simple facts are that Tank Tyler isn't strong and our OLB's suck so much ass that teams are using ONLY TE's and RB's to block them.

So Jackson and Dorsey are facing an OG AND an OT on most plays.

Demonpenz
09-26-2009, 09:55 AM
He's drawing more than a few double-teams.

The simple facts are that Tank Tyler isn't strong and our OLB's suck so much ass that teams are using ONLY TE's and RB's to block them.

So Jackson and Dorsey are facing an OG AND an OT on most plays.

isn't tank tyler like the strongest guy on the team? Just not big enough prolly

milkman
09-26-2009, 09:59 AM
isn't tank tyler like the strongest guy on the team? Just not big enough prolly

Tyler is strong in the upper torso, but not all that strong and stout in the lower body, which makes it much easier to root him out of the middle than guys like Chris Jenkins, Butch Willfork and Jamal Williams.

Hammock Parties
09-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Tyler is strong in the upper torso, but not all that strong and stout in the lower body, which makes it much easier to root him out of the middle than guys like Chris Jenkins, Butch Willfork and Jamal Williams.

I tell you what's weird...I watched the Raiders' game against SD and I thought Tank played better than Jamal Williams.

It'll be interesting to see how he does against Philly's 330-pound center this week.

Demonpenz
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM

those guys are bigger to my eye. I would like to see what their clean and squat stats are because I bet in the weight room tyler rolls as large or larger than those guys, just you know, football isn't played in the weight room

chiefzilla1501
09-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I tell you what's weird...I watched the Raiders' game against SD and I thought Tank played better than Jamal Williams.

It'll be interesting to see how he does against Philly's 330-pound center this week.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Tank's play. Not to say that he's been particularly good, but I think he would make valuable depth once we get a real nose tackle.

milkman
09-26-2009, 10:24 AM
those guys are bigger to my eye. I would like to see what their clean and squat stats are because I bet in the weight room tyler rolls as large or larger than those guys, just you know, football isn't played in the weight room

No, it isn't about weight room.

It's about weight on the lower half.

Those guys are fat asses from the waist down, and because they carry so much weight in that lower half, they are hard to move.

Tank, relatively speaking, is a lightweight in the lower half compared to those guys.

RippedmyFlesh
09-26-2009, 12:30 PM
No, it isn't about weight room.

It's about weight on the lower half.

Those guys are fat asses from the waist down, and because they carry so much weight in that lower half, they are hard to move.

Tank, relatively speaking, is a lightweight in the lower half compared to those guys.
That is basically what sapp said on nfln. He said bench press reps mean nothing for a nt because guys who put up good #'s are sometimes short armed guys who can do them quicker. A guy with longer arms may do less reps but can use his arms to shed defenders better than the short arm guys. He said it's all about lower body weight and hand to hand combat that he said takes a couple of years to learn.

Basileus777
09-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Jamal Williams is washed up. Even with San Diego's terrible dline depth, their run defense got better when he left the game.

htismaqe
09-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Yep, said it a week ago.

The guy isn't strong in the lower body. Furthermore, he doesn't have a solid base - he's easy to get off-balance and push around.

RedThat
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Not to say that Im disagreeing w/ others here, but how does one have a weak lower body and a strong upper body?

That sounds humanly unrealistic.

KCUnited
09-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I could've swore we ruined Dorsey when Haley unnecessarily embarrassed Dorsey at camp by isolating him in purgatory for being out of shape.