PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Baby Back Ribs

Bill Lundberg
09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok Smoke guru's. I just bought a cheap (Brinkman Smoke and Grill Gourmet) electric smoker and I'm ready to attack my first slab of ribs. I've got the 2 lb slab of ribs and the smoker. Give me some direction.

Mojo Jojo
09-26-2009, 05:17 PM
When did you put the ribs on, and when are you planning on eating them?

Bill Lundberg
09-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I haven't done anything with them yet, and I plan on eating them at kickoff tomorrow

RJ
09-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Make a rub.

Here is a basic recipe that will be more than you need.

From Steve Raichlen:

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon hickory-flavored salt or more coarse salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Put it in a bowl or a jar and mix really well. Store any leftover in a jar in a cabinet, it will keep for quite a while.

Pioli Zombie
09-26-2009, 05:24 PM
You're just a wee little baby. Get in my belly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mojo Jojo
09-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I usually rub them the night before and store in the fridge. Any BBQ rub will do, once you get the hang of cooking them then you can start making rubs. I have never used an electric smoker, so take this for what it is worth. I usually smoke my ribs for 6 to 8 hours. Keep your temp @ 225. Make a mop; (lots of ideas on the net...usually fruit juice, vinegar and other spices) let the ribs smoke about two hours then start putting the mop on every 40-45 minutes.

To speed up cooking after about 3 or 4 hours you can wrap the ribs in foil. Once you wrap the ribs don't add any more mop.

THis is just one man's simple way to do ribs...there are a lot of good ideas from members on this board. Best of luck to you...smoking is a great (tasting) hobby.

RJ
09-26-2009, 05:26 PM
To prepare the ribs:

First, pull away the paper like membrane on the back. I use a paper towel for this. You may need to get it started by pulling it loose with the blade of the knife.

Next, season the ribs generously with the rub. You can do this the day of cooking but the night before is better. Wrap then in plastic or put them in big ass plastic bag.

Saccopoo
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok Smoke guru's. I just bought a cheap (Brinkman Smoke and Grill Gourmet) electric smoker and I'm ready to attack my first slab of ribs. I've got the 2 lb slab of ribs and the smoker. Give me some direction.

Plug it in. Season ribs. Put ribs in. Walk away.

cdcox
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Hopefully those ribs don't have injected phophates

Prepare ribs as described in this video:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/loinbackribprep.html

Rub ribs with some plain yellow mustard.

Sprinkle on some rub. You can use a store bought rub or make your own.

something like this would work.

2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Leave em' in the fidge over night.

Set your cheater to 220 or so. I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours on the smoker using the wood of your choice. After 3 hours, wrap in foil with a few ounces of apple juice and cook for 2 more hours. Check the ribs. They should be pulling back from the bone a bit, and getting a little loose. Put 'em back on the smoker without the foil for another hour to dry 'em out. Optionally you can apply BBQ sauce the last 15 minutes.

They shouldn't be terrible, but you'll probably have to tweak your technique and try a few methods before you become satisfied. Ribs are not easy, IMO.

RJ
09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
From that point I may not be much help as I have never used an electric smoker. For two racks of ribs using charcoal I usually plan about 4-5 hours cook time at about 225 degrees. I sometimes wrap them in foil for the last hour or so. If you like your ribs sauced, it is best to do that at the very end. Do it over (or under) heat to get a nice glaze.

cdcox
09-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Actually for Baby Backs, you might want to change that to 2-2-1

RJ
09-26-2009, 05:36 PM
The good news, Bill Lundberg, is that you will almost certainly enjoy your ribs no matter what recipe/technique you follow. And you'll enjoy them even more as you practice with your new toy.

Bill Lundberg
09-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. One backwards thing about the smoker.. It doesn't have a thermometer, I have no idea how hot it gets. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16264_750006001_750000000_750006000?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=16264&cm_ite=image_link

Any pointers?

cdcox
09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Get at remote reading thermometer. Something like this:

http://www.target.com/Redi-Check-Remote-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B0000AQL24

Figure out a way to put the probe in your cooking temperature such that it isn't touching any metal. Then you'll know the temp. Later, the termometer will be very useful for tracking the temperature of other cuts of meat, like a pork butt or brisket. Ribs I just do by look and feel.

Skip Towne
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Is it legal to use an electric smoker on BBQ?

allen_kcCard
09-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I got a dual probe one that I love....one for the meat and one for the internal temp. I also have another single probe one that I can use when I have two items cooking. Both are remote so I can do stuff upstairs if I like and know when it is time to get down and tend the fire.

RJ
09-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. One backwards thing about the smoker.. It doesn't have a thermometer, I have no idea how hot it gets. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16264_750006001_750000000_750006000?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=16264&cm_ite=image_link

Any pointers?

My charcoal smoker has vent holes on top. I put a regular old oven thermometer in one of the holes. It's not NASA, but I think it's close enough.

Like cd has been saying, so much of this is just practice. Over time you get an idea of how the meat should feel and look.

Calcountry
09-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I have a kingsford little smokey I have to pop the cherry on tonight. Some of my very own lamb chops, raised at my "farm", will be on the grill.

Have fun with your new toy BL, I will enjoy my little smokey for convenient go anywhere, anytime, tailgate etc.

Monty
09-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Any pointers?

This is the same model that I learned on before I purchased the bigger smoker earlier this year. On my model, there was a thermometer in the lid, but you can buy the cheap one to hang on the lid or put on the top grill.

For this model, just "set it and forget it". It's very easy to use, but I noticed that the meat would tend to dry out, so I'd spray it every 30 minutes or so. A mop would work just as well.

If you've used other smokers, this electric once cooked a little faster because the temps were even, but I think you'll like it. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
09-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Hopefully those ribs don't have injected phophates

Prepare ribs as described in this video:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/loinbackribprep.html

Rub ribs with some plain yellow mustard.

Sprinkle on some rub. You can use a store bought rub or make your own.

something like this would work.

2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Leave em' in the fidge over night.

Set your cheater to 220 or so. I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours on the smoker using the wood of your choice. After 3 hours, wrap in foil with a few ounces of apple juice and cook for 2 more hours. Check the ribs. They should be pulling back from the bone a bit, and getting a little loose. Put 'em back on the smoker without the foil for another hour to dry 'em out. Optionally you can apply BBQ sauce the last 15 minutes.

They shouldn't be terrible, but you'll probably have to tweak your technique and try a few methods before you become satisfied. Ribs are not easy, IMO.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Ugly Duck
09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Here's my own recipe thats a hit with people drinking beer....

Put fresh tarragon leaves in a blender
add both red & green halapenos
dump in some corn syrup & a bit of ketchup

brush the stuff on long enough to caramelize on the BBQ after you cook the ribs

Great Expectations
09-26-2009, 06:42 PM
This site is the best for bbq

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

RJ
09-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Here's my own recipe thats a hit with people drinking beer....

Put fresh tarragon leaves in a blender
add both red & green halapenos
dump in some corn syrup & a bit of ketchup

brush the stuff on long enough to caramelize on the BBQ after you cook the ribs

That sounds good. Heat, sweet and tarragon is right up my alley.

Ugly Duck
09-26-2009, 06:45 PM
That sounds good. Heat, sweet and tarragon is right up my alley.

I'm tellin ya.... people love it!

Bill Lundberg
09-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Just put them in a marinade consisting of the following:

Apple Juice
non-iodized salt
chopped garlic
chili powder
white pepper
cayenne pepper

And made up a rub for tomorrow AM with the following:

onion powder
granulated sugar
chili powder
non-iodized salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
cumin
KC Rib Doctor

I'm giddy like a school girl.

I'm planning on filling the water tray with the remaining marinade. I've read about Mops, some use them some don't. What's a Mop and should I worry about having one?

rad
09-26-2009, 07:47 PM
My wife rubs my meat for me mostly........if she doesn't, her sister does. I'm not above doing it myself, though.

RJ
09-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Apple Juice
non-iodized salt
chopped garlic
chili powder
white pepper
cayenne pepper

onion powder
granulated sugar
chili powder
non-iodized salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
cumin
KC Rib Doctor

I'm planning on filling the water tray with the remaining marinade. I've read about Mops, some use them some don't. What's a Mop and should I worry about having one?

One suggestion.....you have salt in the marinade and salt in the rub. Maybe from several sources in the rub. If you have already done the marinade, I would suggest omitting the salt in the rub. Most likely your chili powder and Rib Doctor already include salt.

It's hard to screw up smoked ribs, but over salting is one way to do it, IMO.

Not that I've ever made that mistake myself.......yeah, right.

Mojo Jojo
09-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Apple Juice
non-iodized salt
chopped garlic
chili powder
white pepper
cayenne pepper

onion powder
granulated sugar
chili powder
non-iodized salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
cumin
KC Rib Doctor

Mops add flavor and moisture. When I smoke over wood and charcoal I don't use a water tray, so I use a mop.

boogblaster
09-26-2009, 08:34 PM
rub with any good rub .. put on smoker for at least 3 hours .. then put in foil with tenderizer like fruit juice or sweet fruity wine .. at least 2 hours .. then remove from foil add your favorite bbq sause .. I like KC Masterpiece with alittle beer and peach jelly.. cook bout another 1 hour .. enjoy ......

Bill Lundberg
09-27-2009, 07:25 AM
They went on at 7:42 this morning...

cdcox
09-27-2009, 08:22 AM
They went on at 7:42 this morning...

:thumb::drool:

Simply Red
09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
LIQUID SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Lundberg
09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
They didn't quite make it to kickoff. But they were freaking awesome!

Delano
09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
They didn't quite make it to kickoff. But they were freaking awesome!

ROFL:clap:

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2009, 06:26 PM
LIQUID SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

APRICOT PRESERVES!!!!!!!!!!1

RJ
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
APRICOT PRESERVES!!!!!!!!!!1

BARLEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitt Gorilla
09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Do country style instead of baby backs. Much more meat for the $ and I prefer them to baby backs anyway.

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
BARLEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!

cdcox
09-27-2009, 08:03 PM
FRY UP THEM BABY BACKS IN A CAST IRON SKILLLLLLLLET BABY.

Fire Me Boy!
09-28-2009, 06:21 AM
FRY UP THEM BABY BACKS IN A CAST IRON SKILLLLLLLLET BABY.

HELL YEAH! CAST IRON FTW!!!!! ROFL