PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Depth Chart changes in first string.

Coogs
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/

September 28, 2009 - Bob Gretz | Comments (7)

From the Truman Sports Complex

There are changes coming with the Chiefs as they lick their wounds from Sunday’s loss to the Eagles and get ready for the visit of the Giants this weekend.

On the team’s depth chart released on Monday, Ryan O’Callaghan is now listed as the starter at right tackle. For the first three games, Ikechuku Ndukwe was the starter there.

And the depth chart also now lists Ron Edwards as the starter at nose tackle. Edwards opened the game against the Eagles. Tank Tyler had been the starter there for the first two games.

There may be more. Speaking on Monday, head coach Todd Haley also indicated that rookies ILB Jovan Belcher and CB Donald Washington could become major parts of the defensive effort. Belcher played with the starters in the base defense through the second half, replacing Corey Mays. In the nickel defense, Washington was inserted into the nickel back role in place of Maurice Leggett after Philly’s DeSean Jackson scored on a 64-yard touchdown pass.

On the injury front, Haley said the Chiefs would be very careful this week with the hamstring injury of WR Dwayne Bowe. Bowe is unlikely to practice on Wednesday, but may be able to get ready for action by the weekend.

Haley expects ILB Derrick Johnson to practice on Wednesday. Johnson missed all of practice last week and Sunday’s game with the Eagles because of the groin injury he suffered against the Raiders.

Gonzo
09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
To the life preservers!!!11eleventy
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I saw this earlier... Why in the blue F*** is Jake O'Connell 2nd string above Brad Cottam!

Simplex3
09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
...Johnson missed all of practice last week and Sunday’s game with the Eagles because of the groin injury he suffered against the Raiders.

Torn/strained labia. I knew it.

booger
09-28-2009, 06:25 PM
i figured they gave Edwards the start because of the eagles LG and C both being a load and Edwards has the size. Tank has been active and playing well IMO. I don't know if i buy much into that switch on the depth chart. Regardless Tank will get plenty of snaps.

Beisel sure didn't help any on the Jackson TD. looked to me like he took a bad angle and would have ran into Leggett if he didn't fall and left Beisel with no shot at Jackson.

That's probably why Belcher got in. Glad he made some plays. We needed another ILB or Nickel LB to step up and show competence.

BigVE
Torn/strained labia. I knew it.

Contusion of the uterus.

Deberg_1990
These moves should help our playoff push.

LaChapelle
09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
It's a good thing Washington can outrun Vrabel. Boy was he pissed at the facemask.

MadMax
09-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Absolutely! ROFL

jAZ
09-28-2009, 06:29 PM
On the team’s depth chart released on Monday, Ryan O’Callaghan is now listed as the starter at right tackle. For the first three games, Ikechuku Ndukwe was the starter there.

I wonder if they move Ndukwe inside if things go well with O'Callaghan at RT.

booger
I saw this earlier... Why in the blue F*** is Jake O'Connell 2nd string above Brad Cottam!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/chiefs_giants_g4.pdf

pg 16 of the pdf for the giants game has updated depth chart.

Cottam is now back to 2nd. those two have flipped back and forth each week. as have the rb's behind LJ.

KCrockaholic
It's a good thing Washington can outrun Vrabel. Boy was he pissed at the facemask.

That was kind of funny in a weird way. I think Charles wanted to jump on Albert's back and choke him for the penalties also.

booger
09-28-2009, 06:31 PM

hopefully soon. Their faith in Goff can't last much longer if he continues to stink.

KCrockaholic
09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/chiefs_giants_g4.pdf

pg 16 of the pdf for the giants game has updated depth chart.

Cottam is now back to 2nd. those two have flipped back and forth each week. as have the rb's behind LJ.

Ok thats better. I remember reading on ArrowheadPride that Cottam was 3rd again. O'Connell shouldnt even be on the team.

booger
09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Ok thats better. I remember reading on ArrowheadPride that Cottam was 3rd again. O'Connell shouldnt even be on the team.

You always would hear the phrase" it's not too big for him" when coaches talk about the incoming rooks. Well in this case it is too big for him. He's been on the inj report and in camp spent time in no mans land for a leg injury. From time to time teams put guys on IR for minor injuries even if they aren't supposed to and get away with it. They do that becuase they don't want to risk waivers and not getting a guy back on the ps or another team liking the player, letting the agent know that that team would like him on their PS even though they didn't claim him for the active roster.

I hope they IR or cut him and bring in a new body. His college teamate at Miami of Ohio and fellow Rook TE Tom Crabtree out performed him in camp. He just got very limited looks because they wanted to stash him on the PS. Haley praised him in OTA's mini camps and somewhat in TC. I think O'Connell has more upside but Crabtree is good on specialteams. against STL he had a play were he was ahead blocking and planted his guy face first on the sidelines that got the whole team riled up as it was KC's sideline. Also in that game on kick coverage he made it to the returner and stuck his head in there and the guy stopped like he ran into a brick wall. he may not ever be a special player but it looked like Crabtree gave full effort and did what he was asked and excecuted.

Rooster
09-28-2009, 06:47 PM

ROFLROFL Yes indeed. Fear the Chiefs......FEAR THEM!!!!!!

chiefs1111
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
No More Dookie at RT,thank goodness for that

milkman
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

O'Callaghan sucks massive donkey balls like everyone else on the line.

Oxford
09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I think there will be some interesting changes to the roster/depth chart during the bye week. Haley/Pioli will have had 7 weeks to evaluate players and to look for other players to audition for next year. More and more it looks like we are playing 20 pre-season games this year

Hammock Parties
09-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

O'Callaghan sucks massive donkey balls like everyone else on the line.

This guy hasn't even taken a snap as a Chief yet.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But if you're right, it will be epic win.

milkman
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
This guy hasn't even taken a snap as a Chief yet.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But if you're right, it will be epic win.

Watching O'Callaghan in the preseason, I saw a guy who looked like he had anchors attached to his feet while trying to plod through mud.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Watching O'Callaghan in the preseason, I saw a guy who looked like he had anchors attached to his feet while trying to plod through mud.

Sounds like Colin Brown at right tackle.

Am I sensing a pattern here?

bowener
09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I really hope this is one of those games where Eli craps himself and reminds us why he will never be better than big brother Horse face.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I really hope this is one of those games where Eli craps himself and reminds us why he will never be better than big brother Horse face.

Don't count on it.

And whether you like it or not, he'll end up with more Rings than Peyton.

Mecca
09-28-2009, 08:01 PM

That isn't going to happen, they'll play us like they did Tampa, run run run, Eli likely won't throw all that much.

Chief Faithful
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I say audition O'Callaghan for two weeks and if he sucks then start raiding other teams practice squads for RT's and give them all a tryout. Do like Jimmy Johnson did his first year in Dallas and bring in different players every week for a tryout all season long.

Mecca
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
O'Callaghan is going to have to block...Justin Tuck eesh.

Rain Man
09-28-2009, 08:20 PM
That isn't going to happen, they'll play us like they did Tampa, run run run, Eli likely won't throw all that much.

I almost think it'll be the opposite. The Ravens sat back and threw long routes because they didn't worry about our pass rush, and I don't see why the Giants wouldn't do the same thing with their o-line. The safest place for Manning is going to be in the pocket.

milkman
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Sounds like Colin Brown at right tackle.

Am I sensing a pattern here?

They are very similar, and both were 5th round picks.

It does make ya wonder.

Mecca
09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I almost think it'll be the opposite. The Ravens sat back and threw long routes because they didn't worry about our pass rush, and I don't see why the Giants wouldn't do the same thing with their o-line. The safest place for Manning is going to be in the pocket.

If the Giants can they'll run it all day that's how they play Oline run game, they won't pass unless it's needed.

TRR
09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
I was all excited about Corey Mays, but quickly found out that he can't cover ANYONE....EVER. He can't locate TE's or crossing WR's and doesn't have the speed to catch up. The Eagles picked on Mays all game long.

Mecca
09-28-2009, 08:33 PM
The 3-4 is suspect to getting beat by TE's anyway and we compound that by having horrible LB's.

googlegoogle
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
When is the Mizzou kid we drafted going to go up to Haley and Pioli and tell them to give him a chance too? Show some fire boy!

chiefs1111
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
When is the Mizzou kid we drafted going to go up to Haley and Pioli and tell them to give him a chance too? Show some fire boy!

He is on IR

FAX
09-28-2009, 09:31 PM

I kind of feel sorry for Vrabel. For a guy like him, this is like being traded to Hell.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
One thing I will say about this is I think Ndukwe's run blocking wasn't great. If big irish can move some guys off the line it might really help out the running game.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2009, 05:36 AM
So, what's the holdup on moving Ndukwe to RG?

Red Dawg
09-29-2009, 07:01 AM
It's all evaluation this year. He's trying to find promise for next year.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-29-2009, 07:09 AM
These moves should help our draft position.

Fixed it for ya.

boogblaster
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
We can't block or cover, period ... Nothing will change till that is fixed ....

JD10367
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
I kind of feel sorry for Vrabel. For a guy like him, this is like being traded to Hell.

FAX

Yes, but it's only a minor, outer circle. He could've been sent to Oakland or Cleveland.

htismaqe
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
The 3-4 is suspect to getting beat by TE's anyway and we compound that by having horrible LB's.

Belcher isn't great, but he's better than Mays.

TEX
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
We can't block or cover, period ... Nothing will change till that is fixed ....

Yep. We couldn't block last year or the year before that. Still, it was ignored this offseason in spite of the major changes that took place. :shake: