PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone know of a good way to do a reverse number lookup?

BryanBusby
09-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Someone I know is getting death threats filling up their voicemail and the Sheriffs office refuses to do shit about it. Only thing we have to go off of right now is a phone number they are originating from. Would just brush it off, but they have kids and who knows if some crazy nut ball is serious or not.

Valiant
09-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Maybe contact the county prosecutor and tell them the sheriffs office is refusing to do anything.. Seems to me like a big lawsuit if something happens and they decided to brush it off..

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-29-2009, 02:02 AM
www.411.com

www.yellowpages.com

Phobia
09-29-2009, 02:52 AM
I fought that issue for years literally a few years back. Local authorities can't do anything if the calls originate in another state. Federal authorities are too busy to be troubled with crank or nuisance calls. Fortunately, I happened to be in the state of origination when 3 of the calls were received at one time. I filed reports with the local authorities and had the individual prosecuted. I flew back to that state and gained a conviction which equated to a slap on the wrist for the individual involved but the calls finally ceased.

KCChiefsMan
09-29-2009, 03:27 AM
If someone was sending my family death threats and the cops wouldn't do anything, I'm going down there with a shotgun and will do something about it.

HMc
09-29-2009, 04:14 AM
I fought that issue for years literally a few years back. Local authorities can't do anything if the calls originate in another state. Federal authorities are too busy to be troubled with crank or nuisance calls. Fortunately, I happened to be in the state of origination when 3 of the calls were received at one time. I filed reports with the local authorities and had the individual prosecuted. I flew back to that state and gained a conviction which equated to a slap on the wrist for the individual involved but the calls finally ceased.

Jesus, even for death threats?

The states don't cooperate over there as much as I think they must here. I wouldn't think that calling across states would give the cops even the slightest headache when it came to pursuing it (here, I mean)

rocks
09-29-2009, 05:02 AM
anywho.com Only works for landline

bevischief
09-29-2009, 06:09 AM
antifreeze

KCKID58
09-29-2009, 06:30 AM
post the phone number on here and we'll all call and bug the sh*t out of them til they stop..../

Dartgod
09-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Heh. I wonder who that could have been?

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-29-2009, 07:12 AM

Gochiefs ?

Ohmylord
09-29-2009, 10:06 AM
If it's a wireless number they are calling you can call the carrier and have the number blocked. If it's a landline I'm guessing you can do that, but not sure.

Sofa King
09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
switchboard.com

anywho.com

Buck
09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
post the phone number on here and we'll all call and bug the sh*t out of them til they stop..../

Frazod
09-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah, gee, I have no idea who would do such a thing. :D

Jerm
09-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Whitepages.com
Posted via Mobile Device

blazzin311
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Could also be that whoever is initiating the calls could be have a machine that makes someone else's number pop up on your caller ID while actual said caller is calling you from somewhere else. Frankly I had no idea any such machine even existed until I started recieving some strange calls a few months back and decided to look into it. In this instance I kind of doubt that's the case based on everything you described has happened. However it's possible.

Had that happen to me a few months ago. Was getting called 3 or 4 times a day for several weeks. When I'd answer they'd just hang up. Finally I got real sick of their crap so I called the number back and it says it's fricken movie-fone. So at this point I'm thinking movie-fone, WTF? So I went to their website and found a matching phone number on their site to one of their locations in New York. However when I called the movie-fone number it's an automated number and there's no way to get an operator or customer service rep. with the number that was calling.

So I did a google search on the number and found out that movie-fone was not calling at all. There were perhaps thousands of other people who had been getting the same calls from the same number over and over.
Turns out whoever was calling was most likely located overseas in like India or something, but had some device that pops up a legit number from a legit business/ person so that they cannot be traced. So the crappy part was there was really nothing at all myself or anyone else could do to stop these bastards.

Now I'm not comparing my situation to yours but moreso just pointing out it's just flat out scary what prank callers and scammers are capable of these days. However for some reason the calls have since seemed to stop on their own and it doesn't really seem to be an issue anymore (fingers crossed).

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Could also be that whoever is initiating the calls could be have a machine that makes someone else's number pop up on your caller ID while actual said caller is calling you from somewhere else. Frankly I had no idea any such machine even existed until I started recieving some strange calls a few months back and decided to look into it. In this instance I kind of doubt that's the case based on everything you described has happened. However it's possible.

Had that happen to me a few months ago. Was getting called 3 or 4 times a day for several weeks. When I'd answer they'd just hang up. Finally I got real sick of their crap so I called the number back and it says it's fricken movie-fone. So at this point I'm thinking movie-fone, WTF? So I went to their website and found a matching phone number on their site to one of their locations in New York. However when I called the movie-fone number it's an automated number and there's no way to get an operator or customer service rep. with the number that was calling.

So I did a google search on the number and found out that movie-fone was not calling at all. There were perhaps thousands of other people who had been getting the same calls from the same number over and over.
Turns out whoever was calling was most likely located overseas in like India or something, but had some device that pops up a legit number from a legit business/ person so that they cannot be traced. So the crappy part was there was really nothing at all myself or anyone else could do to stop these bastards.

Now I'm not comparing my situation to yours but moreso just pointing out it's just flat out scary what prank callers and scammers are capable of these days. However for some reason the calls have since seemed to stop on their own and it doesn't really seem to be an issue anymore (fingers crossed).

Thanks for reminding me. Iknew there was something.

9-29-09 to do list.

#1) wake up , brush teeth , clean glop from eyes
#2) goto work , fire Eduardo, start masturbating livestock
#3) Dollar general for Toilet paper
#4) Make prank phone calls
#5) Stay up late and ask idiots at apt complex if I can borrow phone

blazzin311
09-29-2009, 12:51 PM

9-29-09 to do list.

ROFL

googlegoogle
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
caller id is a business the phone co. wants you to buy.

but then they sell caller id blocking. Scummy.

BryanBusby
09-29-2009, 01:51 PM

9-29-09 to do list.

Well done.

Ended up getting all the information that I was looking for, and I don't expect there to be anymore problems :)

Lumpy
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM

9-29-09 to do list.

I certainly hope that Hog Farmer STOPS masturbating livestock before he goes to the DG for TP.

Gonzo
09-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I certainly hope that Hog Farmer STOPS masturbating livestock before he goes to the DG for TP.

What do you think that Glop in his eyes is?

Otter
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Have you tried calling the number and see who answers?

Demonpenz
09-29-2009, 02:51 PM
is your name obama? If not your fucked

Spott
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
caller id is a business the phone co. wants you to buy.

but then they sell caller id blocking. Scummy.

The phone company actually has to go out of it's way not to give you caller id. It's normally programmed in, but they turn the feature off at the central office.

LaChapelle
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
You can just put the # on yahoo search and get it for home #s. Don't know about google. Surely they're not that stupid though.

Chief Pote
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
This is the best...many of the others charge money.

http://www22.verizon.com/utilities/reverselookup/

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
switchboard.com

anywho.com

these.

tonyetony
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Uhmmm have a friend call it and manipulate the info you want out of the person who answers. Old fashioned but effective.

Mojo Jojo
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Many times I have have just "googled" the number. You can get find out a lot by doing this. Very scary.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Can you provide us the number. I'm sure we'd have you some ID shortly with a team effort here.

bevischief
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM

9-29-09 to do list.

ROFL

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
HeHe!

Jenson71
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

I can't imagine the lowlife who would do something like that. I think it's great you did what you did.

acesn8s
04-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Forward the message to the Whiite House. Instant results

boogblaster
04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Shotgun and bowie knife ...

Pushead2
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
that's some scary shit man....

HoneyBadger
04-29-2010, 01:21 PM
You can file a police report, but the dectetive who handles this type of crime would then have to supeona from the court the phone records from the phone company. The phone company won't give any info on their own. But this process might take longer than its worth, but its the only way to get any sort of prosecution.

I deal with this often at work.

MOhillbilly
04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I got people. hit em up and they will come back w/ your social,bank accounts, where you live,work, kids, school,church,next of kin.

Demonpenz
04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
I got people. hit em up and they will come back w/ your social,bank accounts, where you live,work, kids, school,church,next of kin.

pastors.....

FAX
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
That really sucks a dead racoon's putrified titty, Mr. BryanBusby.

I have an idea, though. Just tell your friend to return the laptop and the calls will cease.

FAX

MOhillbilly
04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
pastors.....

pets names..

FAX
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay.

FAX