PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink So seriously... apricot preserves.

Fire Me Boy!
09-29-2009, 06:07 PM
For some retarted reason or another, I had some apricot preserves in the fridge.

I was making stir fry for dinner... use my traditional soy sauce, ginger, garlic, onion, maybe a little Chinese five spice (depending on the mood), and a healthy dose of sriracha. Typically sweeten it up a tad to offset the heat with a little brown sugar.

Not this time. Apricot preserves. It was fuckin' great. No more brown sugar. It's apricot preserves or orange marmalade for my stir fry from now on.

cdcox
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Inbeforesimplyred

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Keep fucking doubting Simply Red.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:13 PM
LMAO, though.

RJ
09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
A confession:

I just about always have a jar of apricot preserves on hand. I especially like them with pork dishes and I have also used them in Asian sorts of dishes.

There, I said it.

I also have barley and liquid smoke. They are in my kitchen at this very moment.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
man, i haven't cooked much since the divorce.

KCChiefsMan
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I serioulsy put Srirracha on almost everything I eat, best widely sold chili sauce EVAR

cdcox
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
man, i haven't cooked much since the divorce.

You should pick it up again. A few times a year I'll cook some good food just for me -- some dish that my family doesn't like. If I lived alone, I'd do it all the time.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I'd like to make a beef and barley Stoop w/ pearl onions and filet meat. I think I'd add fairly large pieces of green onion/scallions @ the very end, sounds good approaching Winter.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
& FMB! I haven't worked hardly @ all w/ barley, are there any secrets. Should i get it to swell by soaking in liquid smoke first?

KCChiefsMan
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I think once it starts to get cold, I'm gonna make a great baked potato soup again. Haven't done that in a few years and last time it was out of this world!

TrebMaxx
09-29-2009, 06:28 PM
My wife makes a sweet and sour dish using apricot preserves that is IMHO - delicious.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I think once it starts to get cold, I'm gonna make a great baked potato soup again. Haven't done that in a few years and last time it was out of this world!

can I help? I'll tell you what I do. Interested?

KCChiefsMan
09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
can I help? I'll tell you what I do. Interested?

ya, for sure. Last time I made a huge batch, first I made a roux then cubed a bunch of potatoes and baked them. Added the cubed potatoes to the roux, then I added milk, sour cream, salt, black pepper, chopped chives, and cooked bacon which I chopped. Let it simmer for a few hours and it was delicious. It was fairly simple but time consuming and it was the first time I tried to make it and just sort of "winged it" Topped the soup with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar. I thought it tasted great

but ya, what do you do?

CHENZ A!
09-29-2009, 06:58 PM
I love apricot preserves as part of a pb&j sandwich. I've been using lemon or lime zest a lot in my cooking lately. Stir fry is so fun to make, a little garlic chili paste, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and next time apricot preserves. I usually just do mongolian bbq at home. I like to use some chicken with baby bok choy, and some snap peas.

Rain Man
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
The best Jell-O flavor is apricot, too.

There's a lot to be said for apricot, both as a fruit and a car color.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
The best Jell-O flavor is apricot, too.

There's a lot to be said for apricot, both as a fruit and a car color.

st^ple obligatory 'CP-classic' insert, and stuff. ...:LOL:

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 07:21 PM
ya, for sure. Last time I made a huge batch, first I made a roux then cubed a bunch of potatoes and baked them. Added the cubed potatoes to the roux, then I added milk, sour cream, salt, black pepper, chopped chives, and cooked bacon which I chopped. Let it simmer for a few hours and it was delicious. It was fairly simple but time consuming and it was the first time I tried to make it and just sort of "winged it" Topped the soup with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar. I thought it tasted great

but ya, what do you do?

PM me a day prior to your next pot. I'll share it then, I don't want to type all of that out right now. But, it'll incorporate: Sour Cream, "Better than bouillion" ham-base, sauteed vidalias, green onions, and two types of potatoes, and umm, uhh, italian parsley, stuff like that, we'll get specific later.

KCChiefsMan
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
PM me a day prior to your next pot. I'll share it then, I don't want to type all of that out right now. But, it'll incorporate: Sour Cream, "Better than bouillion" ham-base, sauteed vidalias, green onions, and two types of potatoes, and umm, uhh, italian parsley, stuff like that, we'll get specific later.

sounds good

RJ
09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
It's about time for winter foods again. I just pulled red chili (cheater) enchiladas out of the oven. Mmmmmmmm, good.

Fire Me Boy!
09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
I'd like to make a beef and barley Stoop w/ pearl onions and filet meat. I think I'd add fairly large pieces of green onion/scallions @ the very end, sounds good approaching Winter.

I did that not too long ago with lamb.

Simply Red
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I did that not too long ago with lamb.

Maybe that's why I was thinking pearl onions. ha.