PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs trade Thigpen to Dolphins

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Chiefs trade Thigpen to Dolphins (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1479612.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

One of the Chiefs’ most unlikely, exciting and unpredictable playmakers is on the move — and Kansas City is again stockpiling for the future.

The Chiefs on Tuesday traded quarterback Tyler Thigpen to Miami for an undisclosed draft pick. It was the second time in a month that Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli worked a trade with the Dolphins, whose executive vice president for football operations, Bill Parcells, is Pioli’s father-in-law. The Chiefs acquired offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe from Miami last month, also for undisclosed picks.

That was the first part of a busy day for the Chiefs’ front office. To fill Thigpen’s roster spot, the Chiefs reportedly signed former Arizona tight end Leonard Pope on Tuesday. The 6-foot-8, 264-pounder was a third-round pick in 2006.

They also released veteran linebacker Monty Beisel and cornerback Ricardo Colclough. Kansas City has two open roster spots, which could be filled by signing free agents or by promoting players from the practice squad. Tight end Tom Crabtree was released from the practice squad, and tackle Chris Patrick was signed to replace him.

Thigpen started 11 games for the Chiefs last year after Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard suffered season-ending injuries. Thigpen was erratic at times and outstanding at others, never establishing the consistency that Pioli and first-year coach Todd Haley prefer from their quarterbacks.

Thigpen was in for two plays in Kansas City’s regular-season opener at Baltimore, but he had been the team’s third quarterback since training camp. Thigpen’s agent, Joel Turner, said he didn’t think Thigpen asked to be traded after he ended last season as the Chiefs’ incumbent starter.

“He was perfectly happy there. He felt like he was doing a good job and doing his part on the ball club,” said Turner, who also represents Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop. “I appreciate him being there in the first place. They gave the young man an opportunity to do what he did for last year.

“This is a good opportunity for him. He’s just going to go down there and go to work.”

The Chiefs did not make Pioli or Haley available Tuesday. Thigpen was traveling to Miami on Tuesday afternoon and wasn’t available for interviews, Turner said. Thigpen is expected to join the Dolphins for today’s practice.

Thigpen is going to the Dolphins at an opportune time if the third-year passer is hungry for playing time. Miami’s starter, Chad Pennington, is expected to miss the rest of the season because of a shoulder injury. Backup Chad Henne, a second-round pick last year, reportedly had been slated to take over as the Dolphins’ full-time starter in 2010. Henne could get his first career start Sunday against Buffalo.

Miami also has another quarterback, Pat White, who was drafted this year to run the team’s wildcat offense. Thigpen, the anchor of the Chiefs’ spread offense last season, also could run the wildcat. Thigpen passed for 2,608 yards last year and rushed for 386 more, combining for 21 touchdowns.

He also did something that Croyle and Chiefs starter Matt Cassel have yet to do: win a game in a Kansas City uniform. Thigpen led the Chiefs to a 20-13 victory at Oakland last season.

Thigpen had been mentioned for weeks in trade rumors, including a brief flirtation last month with Jacksonville. The Jaguars offered a fifth-round pick for Thigpen.

“Whatever happens, happens,” Thigpen said in August. “That’s not in my control, so I’m not going to worry about it.”

Pioli Zombie
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
They traded Thigpen?????
Posted via Mobile Device

easymobee
09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Moving to Miami with only Chad Henne in front of him and not the 60 million dollar man? Im sure he's heartbroken ....

His Groupie selection just got 1000% better.

His OLine just got signifigantly better.

No more nasty blogs from GoChiefs.

Life is good for Tyler Thigpen right now.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2009, 10:22 PM
One of the Chiefs’ most unlikely, exciting and unpredictable playmakers is on the moveWhat a joke.

Thigpen, the anchor of the Chiefs’ spread offense last season

LOL

Thigpen led the Chiefs to a 20-13 victory at Oakland last season.

DOUBLE LOL

Easy 6
09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
If there is a perfect scenario for Thigpen to find a place in the NFL, its this, going to a team dedicated to the wildcat.

Hooray him, hooray us...everyone wins.

DeezNutz
09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
What a joke.

I know...one less playmaker on a talent-deprived roster.

Fuck Todd Pioli.

Redrum_69
09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Now watch Thigpen lead the fins to the Super Bowl.

RustShack
09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Hopefully we at least got a 5th since thats what Jax had on the table.

Sure-Oz
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Thiggy the next Flutie!!!11

Easy 6
09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Thigpen the next Flutie!!!11

...LMAO

easymobee
09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Thigpen the next Brady!!!11

please ..... please .....

T-post Tom
09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Moving to Miami with only Chad Henne in front of him and not the 60 million dollar man? Im sure he's heartbroken ....

His Groupie selection just got 1000% better.

His OLine just got signifigantly better.

No more nasty blogs from GoChiefs.

Life is good for Tyler Thigpen right now.

True, but I think he did just fine here in KC on one of those fronts:

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/nov08/hollybikini.jpg

easymobee
09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
True, but I think he did just fine here in KC on one of those fronts:

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/nov08/hollybikini.jpg

From a Miami Heat game ...

teedubya
09-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Easy... any idea what the name of the model second from the right is in that pic? My wife get Victoria Secret Catalog... and I think she is my favorite... dunno her name though.

Sure-Oz
09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I wonder if thiggy will get an account on phinheaven just like he did on CP

easymobee
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey Easy... any idea what the name of the model second from the right is in that pic? My wife get Victoria Secret Catalog... and I think she is my favorite... dunno her name though.

No Clue .... sorry. I thought it was just a bunch of hot chicks.

FAX
09-29-2009, 11:13 PM
When Thigpen the QB was in
He scrambled his way to a win
But our line was like gelatin
So he screwed a skeleton
And now he's called Thiggy The Fin

FAX

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2009, 11:26 PM

Alexandra Ambrosia

booger
09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
When Thigpen the QB was in
He scrambled his way to a win
But our line was like gelatin
So he screwed a skeleton
And now he's called Thigpen The Fin

FAX

Tyler must have a pain fetish. Talk about bone on bone.

he'll lose all his cartilage and need that new microfracture surgury on his tallyflapper.