PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs JoPo: You have to look hard for positives in Chiefs' play

keg in kc
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
You have to look hard for positives in Chiefs' play (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1487667.html)

By JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star

Here, to me, is the hardest part of rooting for a very bad team: Nothing seems good. Nothing. Every move looks awful. Every decision seems misguided. Every step feels like a misstep. It’s hard to see any water in the glass — forget about it being half full.

The Chiefs have reached that level of bad now. You already know that they have lost 26 of 28 games — no team in football, not even the legendary Detroit Lions, has been as bad over that stretch of time. They are 0-3 already this year, of course, and this includes a home loss to the JaMarcus Russell-infused Oakland Raiders and a game in Philadelphia where the Chiefs openly gave up at halftime.

And honestly — it’s hard to see anything good anywhere. The face of the franchise, Tony Gonzalez, was traded in the offseason. The classy spokesman of the team through the rough years, Brian Waters, seems to feel alienated and generally ticked off. Lots of players do.

The Chiefs spent a boatload of money on lifelong backup quarterback Matt Cassel, and Todd Haley — somewhere between his many jobs as head coach, offensive coordinator, player alienator and amusing sideline ranter — seems unsure about Cassel’s talents.

The offensive line is a disaster, the just-off-the-waiver-wire receiving corps scares no one, Larry Johnson looks broken down, the defense’s front seven can’t get to the quarterback, there have been penalties and astonishingly bad game decisions, and nobody seems entirely sure what new GM Scott Pioli is thinking inside the Chieftagon.

I suspect this is how many people (most people?) see the Kansas City Chiefs these days. Hopeless. But is it really as bad as all that? The truth is: When things are this bad, it is hard to get a clear look at what’s really happening. This team has played so bad the last two years that only the truest of the true believers could see through the fog and find something good to say.

So I found the truest of the true believers: His name is Michael MacCambridge. You should know Michael’s name because he’s probably the nation’s leading expert on NFL history. His book “America’s Game” is the most complete book on pro football ever written. And his new book with Brian Billick, “More Than a Game,” provides a fascinating look inside the NFL bubble.

More than all of that, though, Michael is probably the world’s most positive Chiefs fan. He has endured what all Chiefs fans have endured, of course — the thrilling football of Otis Taylor and Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell of the Super Bowl Chiefs, the horrors of the 1970s and most of the 1980s, the hope brought in by Carl Peterson and Marty Schottenheimer, all the near-misses of the 1990s, the wild and crazy Dick Vermeil years, the joylessness of the Herm Edwards era. None of it can break his spirit.

Put it this way: After the Chiefs lost to the Raiders at home, Michael sent this text: “Exasperating game, but plenty to be encouraged about as well.”

Huh? What could be encouraging about losing to Oakland at home in a game splattered with penalties and bungles and so on? Then last week, when the Chiefs went into that infuriating Woody Hayes offense when down three touchdowns, again Michael wrote that while it was hard to watch, he saw some good things. What could he have seen?

So I asked him. And here’s what the Chiefs look like from the sunny side of the street:

“I understand the impatience,” Michael writes. “The fans of this team got so close so many times, and we came to take the perennial contender status for granted. …

“But you don’t get all that back overnight. History tells us that when you’re building a championship team, you often start at the ground floor. Chuck Noll went 1-13 in his first year with the Steelers dynasty (then went on to win four Super Bowls). And that year many Steelers fans questioned whether Pittsburgh had hired the right guy. Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 in his first year with the Cowboys and faced the near universal opinion that he was an arrogant, hotheaded college coach who was out of his depth.

“It’s far too early. … I like what I see in Matt Cassel. He’s got a good pocket presence and is adept at avoiding the rush. He also seems to have the traits you’re looking for in a team leader. … Pioli and Haley are both terrific football people. But they have to be given time to grow into their jobs.

“As far as the 0-3 record goes, all I can say is that in the NFL, sometimes our perceptions are skewed by fluky results. … The Chiefs had no business losing to the Raiders. The loss to Oakland was just fluky. Now, you take a maddening loss in a game the Chiefs controlled for much of the way and combine it with a pair of predictable losses to two good teams, and suddenly everyone’s ready to jump out a window. But reality isn’t as bad as the record looks.

“I remain hopeful and optimistic that the right people are in charge, and the team is moving in the right direction. And I think the Chiefs will get a win in the next couple of weeks.”

So, there you have it. I’m not going to lie … I don’t quite see it the way Michael does. The Raiders loss was fluky, sure, but only a really bad team could have found a way to lose that game. And the lack of competitiveness against Philadelphia was more discouraging than the score. Everyone knew the Chiefs had no chance — the Chiefs included.

But I do think he’s right in saying that three weeks is too early to make any judgments about what Pioli and Haley are trying to get done. They are starting from scratch with this team.

The idea at this point is to find bright spots and see if the Chiefs can build on them. It isn’t easy finding those bright spots. Maybe we just have to look harder.

DeezNutz
10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
So, does Michael post on this site?

CaliforniaChief
10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
A couple of thoughts immediately come to mind. First, I hope they put this article on the bulletin board. Every one of those players (and coaches) should read that before playing tomorrow's game.

Second, the word "Chieftagon" needs to be enshrined. That was classic.

Third, it was a really tough article...but very well-written.

Finally, when he mentioned truest believer I would have bet $500 that the words Barry Peraino were next. Glad I didn't bet that money.

FAX
10-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh, woe is us.

FAX

Rain Man
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
We have one of the best kicking duos in the league. Nobody can doubt that.

FAX
10-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Also, sometimes, when a lot of people are at the game and they show one of those really wide shots of Arrowhead, it looks like 79,000 fans bathing in blood. Miami can't say that.

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow, JoPo sure is mailing it in these days.

TEX
10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
This season IS every bit as bad as it looks. Losing 26 of 28 (and counting) is epic suckage bad. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find worse records the past 20 years over the same span. I know they must exhist, but with each loss, the worst of the worst is within reach - including the infamous Lions 0-16 of a year ago. The loss to Oakland at home should erase any doubt.

The good news for me is the Chiefs are so pathetic, that after the Herm Edwards Era, watching this inept lot bungle their way to 0-3 has me not caring that much anymore. In fact, it's pretty darn funny. Years ago, I never would have thought that. There really is healing with laughter...

CaliforniaChief
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
This season IS every bit as bad as it looks. Losing 26 of 28 (and counting) is epic suckage bad. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find worse records the past 20 years over the same span. I know they must exhist, but with each loss, the worst of the worst is within reach - including the infamous Lions 0-16 of a year ago. The loss to Oakland at home should erase any doubt.

The good news for me is the Chiefs are so pathetic, that after the Herm Edwards Era, watching this inept lot bungle their way to 0-3 has me not caring that much anymore. In fact, it's pretty darn funny. Years ago, I never would have thoght that. There really is healing in laughter...

See I read that stuff and I get really pissed off. Maybe it's because I still care. And if I had any pride and was inside the Chieftagon I'd be pretty pissed off too. Hell, maybe Haley and Pioli promised JoPo a dinner at Garazzo's to hook them up with some BB material.

kregger
10-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Yet another article that details the death of the print media. I like Joe Poz most of the time, but this is stealing money from McClatchy.

FloridaMan88
10-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Posnanski thinks he is the big time SI writer now yet his columns on both SI and for the KC Star continue to be his same boring garbage.

cdcox
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
"His name is Michael MacCambridge. You should know Michael’s name because he’s probably the nation’s leading expert on NFL history. His book “America’s Game” is the most complete book on pro football ever written. And his new book with Brian Billick, “More Than a Game,” provides a fascinating look inside the NFL bubble."

Oooo, looking forward to reading that one.

TEX
10-03-2009, 10:34 PM
See I read that stuff and I get really pissed off. Maybe it's because I still care. And if I had any pride and was inside the Chieftagon I'd be pretty pissed off too. Hell, maybe Haley and Pioli promised JoPo a dinner at Garazzo's to hook them up with some BB material.

To each his own. It's good, for YOU, that you still care. I don't care because it's too painful to do so anymore. I have almost 4 decades of "caring" about this team. I was there through the mid '70's - 80's. I'm not about to go through that BS again. NO THANKS! See, to me the Chiefs are like family in that they are a part of me whether I care or not. So this time around, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

kregger
10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
So this time around, I'm gonna laugh my ass off at the mess that is the Chiefs.

Pretty much like a"Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode.

TEX
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Pretty much like a"Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode.

Exactly! Just when you thik it can't get any worse - it does...

DBOSHO
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
they should change the name of the site to "Fair-weather fan Planet "

CaliforniaChief
10-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Posnanski thinks he is the big time SI writer now yet his columns on both SI and for the KC Star continue to be his same boring garbage.

He really is one of the best sports-writers I've read. I just think most aren't used to him ripping the Chiefs like that.

CaliforniaChief
10-03-2009, 10:56 PM
To each his own. It's good, for YOU, that you still care. I don't care because it's too painful to do so anymore. I have almost 4 decades of "caring" about this team. I was there through the mid '70's - 80's. I'm not about to go through that BS again. NO THANKS! See, to me the Chiefs are like family in that they are a part of me whether I care or not. So this time around, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

We all deal with it differently I guess...I just think that's sad.

Hammock Parties
10-03-2009, 11:01 PM
He really is one of the best sports-writers I've read. I just think most aren't used to him ripping the Chiefs like that.

It's not the tone, it's the content.

It's a boring rehash of things we already know.

TEX
10-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Or the "Emperor Has No Clothes Planet"...

TEX
10-03-2009, 11:11 PM
We all deal with it differently I guess...I just think that's sad.

One man's trash is another's treasure...

teedubya
10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
It's not the tone, it's the content.

It's a boring rehash of things we already know.

Yeah, but at least it didn't cost $109.95 for a boring rehash of things we already know.

milkman
10-03-2009, 11:54 PM

Because someone that has already been through the crap that was the late 70s and 80s says that he has to look at things with a different perspective?

He didn't say he was throwing away his Chiefs fan card.

When you've already been through this same crap before, you learn you have to deal with it differently.

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Because someone that has already been through the crap that was the late 70s and 80s says that he has to look at things with a different perspective?

When you've already been through this same crap before, you learn you have to deal with it differently.

Milkman were you a fan of this team in the 70's and 80's? Props to anyone that was.

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Wow, JoPo sure is mailing it in these days.

Like LJ--Loser prime time.

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Yeah MM is the standard.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Like LJ--Loser prime time.

Try some absinthe. You can pound it all night long with no side effects.

googlegoogle
10-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Hasn't our run d improved?

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Hasn't our run d improved?

Difficult to say right now. We'll know for sure after the next two weeks.

milkman
10-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Milkman were you a fan of this team in the 70's and 80's? Props to anyone that was.

I've been a fan of this team since I was a little tyke back in '63, before I was old enough to tie my shoes on my own, much less have any real idea what this game was all about.

Skip Towne
10-04-2009, 06:12 AM
I've been a fan of this team since I was a little tyke back in '63, before I was old enough to tie my shoes on my own, much less have any real idea what this game was all about.

I was 18 when the Chiefs came to town. Before that I was a Dallas fan. Back in the days of Lee Roy Jordan and Walt Garrison. That "Doomsday Defense" was fine. Now I'm supposed to watch this crap and be "patient". Sorry, I'm all out of patience.

Consistent1
10-04-2009, 06:25 AM
22 Guys of the street people. Remember that. I can almost take 0-16 if it makes Haley and Pioli look dumb. Snap the fucking ball Brodie......if that is the best we get, well, we deserve it...

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 06:29 AM

****ing Herm ripped the heart and passion out of this fan base... People are having a hard time trying to get attached to this team...

Yes it is a proven winner at the GM and a proven winner at HC, something Herm and Carl never were.

It takes time... They left this franchise in such a dump, its going to take years to get this straight... Also thanks to Marty, Gantz and DV* for also screwing it up....

* for Dane. :LOL:

tmax63
10-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I had hopes that the Chiefs with new GM and coach would be better this year. Not 10-6 better but maybe 5 or 6 and 10 or 11. I didn't truly appreciate how bad the drafting had been the last 5 years and how devoid of talent this team really is. Albert is the only OL that has a chance of playing anywhere else. Waters is old. I think the only reason they didn't trade him was that nobody would give anything for him. The rest of the line goes downhill from there. The skill positions with the exception of Cassel and Bowe are journeyman at best. The DL has 1 player playing in his natural position since the switch to a 3-4. Nuff said. LB's would be backups on most other teams. The secondary would be okay if they didn't have to cover for 6 seconds or more every down. They do have a punter and may have found a kicker in Mr. Irrelavent.
What I perceived as a lack of coaching was in fact a lack of coaching and lack of talent. They need a minimun of 9-10 QUALITY players to get competitive. I'm not talking about players that people here debate if they're good or bad, but players that everyone here says "OMG, I can't believe we got him" level. I think alot of folks saw it coming to this but I think most thought (myself included) that this was a category 3 storm when in fact it's a full blown cat 5 head to the bunker and pray storm.

LaChapelle
10-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Jack
10-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Nobody likes me,
Everybody hates me,
I'm gonna eat some worms. . .

TEX
10-04-2009, 09:07 AM
****ing Herm ripped the heart and passion out of this fan base... People are having a hard time trying to get attached to this team...

* for Dane. :LOL:

Yep. Like I said, I lived through the all the losing of the 70's and 80's, but living through Herm, and his stupidity, did me in. So now I just laugh at the mess instead of suffering through it again. ALso gonna benifit from it. For instance, I always start players on my FF team who play the Chiefs. Today, it'a Eli Manning...

TEX
10-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I had hopes that the Chiefs with new GM and coach would be better this year. Not 10-6 better but maybe 5 or 6 and 10 or 11. I didn't truly appreciate how bad the drafting had been the last 5 years and how devoid of talent this team really is. Albert is the only OL that has a chance of playing anywhere else. Waters is old. I think the only reason they didn't trade him was that nobody would give anything for him. The rest of the line goes downhill from there. The skill positions with the exception of Cassel and Bowe are journeyman at best. The DL has 1 player playing in his natural position since the switch to a 3-4. Nuff said. LB's would be backups on most other teams. The secondary would be okay if they didn't have to cover for 6 seconds or more every down. They do have a punter and may have found a kicker in Mr. Irrelavent.
What I perceived as a lack of coaching was in fact a lack of coaching and lack of talent. They need a minimun of 9-10 QUALITY players to get competitive. I'm not talking about players that people here debate if they're good or bad, but players that everyone here says "OMG, I can't believe we got him" level. I think alot of folks saw it coming to this but I think most thought (myself included) that this was a category 3 storm when in fact it's a full blown cat 5 head to the bunker and pray storm.

Yep. Though I'm not sure LT is the place for Albert when it's all said and done. And speaking of the lack of talent on this team, I wanted to punch Herm Fucking Edwards in the throat when he said the team was 85% - 90% in tact. Moron. :shake:

Marcellus
10-04-2009, 09:16 AM
22 Guys of the street people. Remember that. I can almost take 0-16 if it makes Haley and Pioli look dumb. Snap the fucking ball Brodie......if that is the best we get, well, we deserve it...

This is the type of "fan" attitude I have issues with.

You could almost take 0-16 to make Haley and Pioli look dumb? You would rather the team fail to support your personnel beliefs than succeed and you be wrong?

Wouldn't a fan of the team hope for improvement and success even if they don't currently like the regime?

If your that bitter already you are in for a long painful experience because you can bet your ass Pioli is here for at least 5 years and Haley a minimum of 2.

TEX
10-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Exactly Bro. It's called growing the **** up and not letting things bother you the way they used to. It has nothing to do with not being a fan any longer. When you have followed the Chiefs as long as I have, they become a part of you, so it is impossible to stop being a fan.