PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Our expectations of Cassel?

Pages : [1] 2

BossChief
10-04-2009, 01:23 AM
What are some realistic goals we should have for Cassel today, given the pressure he will be facing?

I think realistically, he should throw for 175-200 today with two touchdowns and no more than one fumble/interception. Croyle achieved this against an equally potwnt defense in week one...

90 yards and 0-11 on third down is imho not good enough for the 60 million dollar man.

He needs to show today part of why he deserves to be the starter of this team, and face of the franchise.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Depends if Bowe plays...depends on how O'Callaghan plays....depends on a lot of things.

I think a lesser quarterback would have made a lot more mistakes last week.

CoMoChief
10-04-2009, 01:30 AM
You need an Oline for a QB to be successful. End of story.

Haley thinks we have the personnel on the Oline to do the job. However millions of Chiefs fans think otherwise. the fact they haven't done anything to address the Oline after "evaluating" video of players is just a huge mistake the front office and coaching staff be take full 100% respnonsibility for.

Saccopoo
10-04-2009, 01:41 AM
He's franchise. Period.

Go draft Chris Simms in your fantasy league dildo.

jAZ
10-04-2009, 02:00 AM
However millions of Chiefs fans think otherwise.
Every one of thoes millions of Chiefs fans demanded we sign Jon Runyan and called our staff idiots for not having done it. And clearly every one of them was wrong given that every other NFL team has passed on him for weeks now.

Millions of Chiefs fans have no where near enough information to bitch about what professional talent evaluators do for a living.

HotRoute
10-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Every one of thoes millions of Chiefs fans demanded we sign Jon Runyan and called our staff idiots for not having done it. And clearly every one of them was wrong given that every other NFL team has passed on him for weeks now.

Millions of Chiefs fans have no where near enough information to bitch about what professional talent evaluators do for a living.

totally aggree

It seems like no one is ever happy these days. Everyone needs something to complain about. They for some reason feel more intelligent and satisfied with themselves when they find something to bitch about. :p

BossChief
10-04-2009, 02:19 AM

Haley thinks we have the personnel on the Oline to do the job. However millions of Chiefs fans think otherwise. the fact they haven't done anything to address the Oline after "evaluating" video of players is just a huge mistake the front office and coaching staff be take full 100% respnonsibility for.

Its not like they are standng on their hands in reguards to the oline.

We got rid of Mcsack
We got rid of Jones
We traded for two linemen
We picked up another off waivers.
We signed a veteran to start that last started in the divisional round of the playoffs.
We have brought in all the available options, they obviously wouldnt give us an upgrade or they would be here.

Im sure they would have made a good offer to the center from Baltimore if he had gotten out of St louis, but he didnt.

Give them time, the opertunities have to be there to upgrade with and teams dont let good ones go too often.

I think we should have drafted a olinemen in the third round, but I dont have access to the first hand information they used to make that decision, hopefully they know what they are doing.

Pioli and New England hit on almost every single linemen they drafted, so I trust his eye for what makes good linemen and have given some leeway in that area to him/them......for now.

milkman
10-04-2009, 05:43 AM

We got rid of Mcsack
We got rid of Jones
We signed a veteran to start that last started in the divisional round of the playoffs.
We have brought in all the available options, they obviously wouldnt give us an upgrade or they would be here.

No, they didn't bring in all the availble options.

Was there even one free agent O-Lineman, other than Mike Goff, that visited?

Are the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, and St. Louis Cardinals the only teams that had to players move or cut?

To say they brought in all available options is pure unadulterated bullshit.

Im sure they would have made a good offer to the center from Baltimore if he had gotten out of St louis, but he didnt.

Give them time, the opertunities have to be there to upgrade with and teams dont let good ones go too often.

I think we should have drafted a olinemen in the third round, but I dont have access to the first hand information they used to make that decision, hopefully they know what they are doing.

Pioli and New England hit on almost every single linemen they drafted, so I trust his eye for what makes good linemen and have given some leeway in that area to him/them......for now.

If 4 out of 12 is hitting on almost every single lineman drafted, then yeah.

PHOG
10-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Just try to escape injury...(sigh)

LanceHunter
10-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Yes it has to be a really good idea to fire the OC, throw away the old playbook (within a couple weeks of the regular season start),get new players and give them a speed reading course to learn the new offense.
Mr. Pioli is on the right track,sign as many wannabe starters from the Pats as the Chiefs can get,cause the Pats just wanna help the Chiefs build a winning program,yep things are finally turning around!

Pioli Zombie
10-04-2009, 06:21 AM

I agree it pains me to say. What's going on now falls on Pioli and Haley, not on Matt Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 06:24 AM
totally aggree

It seems like no one is ever happy these days. Everyone needs something to complain about. They for some reason feel more intelligent and satisfied with themselves when they find something to bitch about. :p

Thanks for the wonderful insight n00b....

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Agree Boss, he needs to elavate the play around him to his level.

Pioli Zombie
10-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Agree Boss, he needs to elavate the play around him to his level.

Yes, he needs to make his offensive line magically not suck ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consistent1
10-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Sanchez, and keep the second rounder....probably to still get Jackson.

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Yes, he needs to make his offensive line magically not suck ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Correct, he is the franchise QB and he has the big contract.... Time for him to save this franchise and raise the level of play around him... Including his OL....

He is proven right? You know the low risk, very high reward QB? Time to play like he did last year at NE, he has that year of NFL experience, he needs to use it to bring victory to the Chiefs...

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Did you watch the Philly game? The team ran the entire 2nd half and when they did try to pass in the 1st half it was a jailbreak through our joke of a line. Tough to judge given those circumstances.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Against Oakland he had more time, but threw 2 picks and made a horrible decision before half time costing the team points. He did lead the team to the go-ahead TD late in the game, so that was a positive.

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Against Oakland he had more time, but threw 2 picks and made a horrible decision before half time costing the team points. He did lead the team to the go-ahead TD late in the game, so that was a positive.

Its going to take some time.. Thanks to Herm,. DV, Carl, Marty, Levy and Gantz, there really isnt much talent on this roster...

Pioli Zombie
10-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Correct, he is the franchise QB and he has the big contract.... Time for him to save this franchise and raise the level of play around him... Including his OL....

He is proven right? You know the low risk, very high reward QB? Time to play like he did last year at NE, he has that year of NFL experience, he needs to use it to bring victory to the Chiefs...
He actually had an NFL offensive line in New England. Brady wouldn't be doing shit with this offensive line either. This is as bad a line as I've ever seen. To say any QB magically changes that is a football ignorant statement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2009, 07:31 AM
He actually had an NFL offensive line in New England. Brady wouldn't be doing shit with this offensive line either. This is as bad a line as I've ever seen. To say any QB magically changes that is a football ignorant statement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, he doesn't need a 2003 Chiefs O-line to be succesful....Just one better than this garbage. I've never seen as many blown assignments and MULTIPLE guys getting beat badly on the same play as I have this season.

Bane
10-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Id like to see him pass for 350 yards and about 3 TD's.Im just afraid he's going to have about 900 lbs of pissed off D Linemen in his face all day.Im thinking that when Cassel does get more than 1.2 seconds to throw the ball,he'll do ok.

milkman
10-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Has anyone actually watched Drew Brees.

His success is due, in large part, because he sets up quickly, makes quick reads, and gets the ball out fast.

Cassel had success last year running out of the spread.

When taking snaps under center, he's slow to set up, takes too long to make reads, and holds the ball too long.

Is the O-Line sucking?

Sure.

But Cassel's inabaility to set up and make quick decisions isn't helping at all.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 07:51 AM
A better question would be:

What were Pioli's expectations of Cassel?

Bane
10-04-2009, 07:58 AM
A better question would be:

What were Pioli's expectations of Cassel?

If he has any sense in that GENIUS head of his he already knew this year was gonna be shit,and Cassel with limited support wasn't going to shine.We only needed about 30-40 player changes to even begin to figure out what to do with this mess.To me if we win 4 games and no one we are deeply invested in gets killed,then we had a good year.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 08:01 AM
The reason why I'm genuinely interested is that it makes no sense to bring in a QB, any QB, expect him to play but then do little to put players around him to allow him to be successful.

If anyone thinks Pioli did everything he possibly could to improve the line, you're kidding yourself. Or, if this really was Pioli's best effort, he's incompetent.

Pioli Zombie
10-04-2009, 08:51 AM
The reason why I'm genuinely interested is that it makes no sense to bring in a QB, any QB, expect him to play but then do little to put players around him to allow him to be successful.

If anyone thinks Pioli did everything he possibly could to improve the line, you're kidding yourself. Or, if this really was Pioli's best effort, he's incompetent.
That is fair to say. I'm ok with where he's going on defense. But to ignore the OL, unless he has this great plan for addressing that in the 2010 Draft, is disappointing. Might have to change name to Cassel Zombie.
Posted via Mobile Device

TEX
10-04-2009, 09:23 AM
When I heard we got him, I hoped he wouldn't get killed behind our line. He has no protection or Wr's so there is no way we will know what we have in him this season. I hope he doesn't get ruined before he has talent enough around hin to properly evaluate his worth.

TEX
10-04-2009, 09:24 AM

This. I can't see how someone who was supposed to be so good, could miss so badly on something so obvious.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 09:50 AM

His success is due, in large part, because he sets up quickly, makes quick reads, and gets the ball out fast.

When taking snaps under center, he's slow to set up, takes too long to make reads, and holds the ball too long.

Is the O-Line sucking?

Sure.

But Cassel's inabaility to set up and make quick decisions isn't helping at all.

Cassel did very well getting rid of the ball in a hurry last game, and that's considering that he almost never had a pocket and had to throw over a few collapsing defensive tackles. Because the pocket collapsing, he was practically throwing off his back foot the entire game and was usually getting hit as he was throwing the ball.

I know that this was a knock on Cassel. But the fact that he was sacked only 3 times despite having immediate pressure all game is quite the accomplishment. The difference between Drew Brees and Cassel right now is that while Brees gets rid of the ball quickly, his pass protection is good enough to at least give him a window and a comfortable pocket to throw out of.

Cassel had a lousy game last week, but that's what was most encouraging about it.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 09:53 AM

We got rid of Mcsack
We got rid of Jones

Almost all of those moves you pointed out were made at the butt-end of the preseason, picking up trash from other people's rosters.

Pioli had plenty of opportunity through the draft and in the front-end of free agency to bring in some help.

Instead, we drafted a backup DE in the 3rd and a #4 CB in the 4th when there were some top flight interior linemen still on the board.

Don't make excuses for Pioli. The reason we don't have an o-line is because we prioritized building our 3-4 defense over building our offensive line. And we're paying a very big price for that.

BigChiefFan
10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I think he's already playing well considering the situation.

BossChief
10-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Is the O-Line sucking?

Sure.

Cassel got sacked 47 times behind the very same line Tom Brady had only gotten sacked 12 times the year before.

He needs to develop the mental clock all good qbs have.

What free agent linemen did he fail to bring in? Were they even interested in coming here to a 2-14 team, that is a big consideration.

I fully agree we should have spent a 3rd AND fourth rounder on oline, but maybe they felt the value wasnt there, I trust your opinion more than most on the web, at this board and others concening oline play, so I ask you a question...

who should we have selected or brought in?

Halfcan
10-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I think they are trying to limit his throws to under 10 yards and maybe under 10 attempts per game- It was a dumb signing and they want to play damage control even if it cost us game after game.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Until we get "just an average" O-line HOW IN THE HELL can you even judge Cassel at this point or even Croyle for that matter? Yes Brokie is fragile but hell at least we know both are athletic and can scramble but to expect very much at all from either one of these guys with the kind of line AND INCONSISTENT RECEIVERS they have to put up with...JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I think Haley and Pioli didn't realize how bad our O and D lines are IMO and now are trying to rearrange the chairs on the TITANIC. Don't get me wrong, I am still a Pioli and Haley fan but at least they are making changes as needed to "find something and someone" who can play unlike King Carl.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I think Haley and Pioli didn't realize how bad our O and D lines are IMO and now are trying to rearrange the chairs on the TITANIC. Don't get me wrong, I am still a Pioli and Haley fan but at least they are making changes as needed to "find something and someone" who can play unlike King Carl.

Then they're dumb as fuck.

And when Cassel is given time and repeatedly is inaccurate as hell, yes, it's absolutely fair to judge him.

He has looked like complete shit and the career backup that he's always been.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Until we get "just an average" O-line HOW IN THE HELL can you even judge Cassel at this point or even Croyle for that matter? Yes Brokie is fragile but hell at least we know both are athletic and can scramble but to expect very much at all from either one of these guys with the kind of line AND INCONSISTENT RECEIVERS they have to put of with...JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!

I still feel David Carr got ripped off in Houston. He "never" had an O-line in Houston and was running for his life every damn game. By the time he got to Carolina his confidence was so shot he nevered recovered. Cassel and Brokie for that matter are experiencing the same here in KC IMO. Will Cassel become "pocket shy" in due time(never stepping up in the pocket confidently regardless of the pressure?) not to mention putting your huge investment $$$$ at risk by injury with this "HORRID O-line".:shake::shake:

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=DeezNutz;6137538]And when Cassel is given time [QUOTE]

You're SERIOUS???:rolleyes: Hell he doesn't even have time on three step drops!!!!:rolleyes:

Deez you are looking at our "John Elway" of the future and hint of that came just a little bit ago with that athletic play of taking a dead play and actually making something out of nothing with that TD pass down in the red zone. :thumb:

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Deez you are looking at our "John Elway" of the future and hint of that came just a little bit ago with that athletic play of taking a dead play and actually making something out of nothing with that TD pass down in the red zone. :thumb:

:eek:

Dude...

I'm sorry, but I'm going to go bold here: Cassel is an average QB...at best.

Thus far this season, he's been just another sad sack on a sack of shit team.

Reaper16
10-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Cassel has sucked. Badly. When he has adequate time to throw he is inaccurate and makes shitty decisions. Color me disappointed.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Dude...

Dude..

I'm sorry, but I'm going to go bold here: T-Brady and P-Manning would suck behind our current O-line. Average at BEST!!

Just wait my friend, assuming Cassel's confidence holds up until we get him a stellar O-line; Cassel will come through big time.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Dude..

I'm sorry, but I'm going to go bold here: T-Brady and P-Manning would suck behind our current O-line. Average at BEST!!

Just wait my friend, assuming Cassel's confidence holds up until we get him a stellar O-line; Cassel will come through big time.

No, he won't, but I applaud your optimism.

When Cassel has had opportunities he's made terrible decisions, inaccurate throws, and mental mistakes.

He's been a complete fucking disaster.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
When he has adequate time to throw he is inaccurate and makes shitty decisions.

WHEN HAS HE EVER HAD TIME THIS SEASON??????????????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Dude...

Has he been an average QB? Yes.

"At best"? I don't understand how you could possibly make that call right now.

It's not as simple as saying "he had protection on that play and still botched it." Most QBs get rattled when they don't trust their protection. They "hear footsteps." And just because he doesn't get hit doesn't mean he had good protection. Sometimes the pocket collapses and you don't have the kind of window to throw through.

Watch a good pass protecting team today. Do me that favor. Good o-lines give QBs a major pocket space to move through. They can step up comfortably and wiggle around a little bit. They also create creases. It's like Moses parting the sea.

You never see anything like that in KC. The pocket usually gets pushed back and you'll never see a crease. On most plays, Cassel doesn't have time to even go through all his reads. You could see that he was a totally different QB at the end when he actually had the time to operate.

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:16 PM
5 Touchdowns 2 picks

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Has he been an average QB? Yes.

"At best"? I don't understand how you could possibly make that call right now.

It's not as simple as saying "he had protection on that play and still botched it." Most QBs get rattled when they don't trust their protection. They "hear footsteps." And just because he doesn't get hit doesn't mean he had good protection. Sometimes the pocket collapses and you don't have the kind of window to throw through.

Watch a good pass protecting team today. Do me that favor. Good o-lines give QBs a major pocket space to move through. They can step up comfortably and wiggle around a little bit. They also create creases. It's like Moses parting the sea.

You never see anything like that in KC. The pocket usually gets pushed back and you'll never see a crease. On most plays, Cassel doesn't have time to even go through all his reads. You could see that he was a totally different QB at the end when he actually had the time to operate.

Because he's not an accurate passer. And it's not just on the deep ball.

And, no, he hasn't been average this season. He's been terrible.

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
5 Touchdowns 2 picks with this offense is terrible?

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Whos he throwing to again? terrence Copper? Sean Ryan? What do you expect.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
No, he won't, but I applaud your optimism.

When Cassel has had opportunities he's made terrible decisions, inaccurate throws, and mental mistakes.

He's been a complete ****ing disaster.

Remains to be seen but apparently you are already convinced based on very little evidence to the contrary and a huge amount of evidence supporting the fact he has very little if any talent around him at all. What do you expect at this point? Like I said even Brady and Manning would be either running or on their ass 75% of the time.

Reaper16
10-04-2009, 02:22 PM
WHEN HAS HE EVER HAD TIME THIS SEASON??????????????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Multiple times today, for starters.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Those times don't count.

The pressure he's faced had him far too rattled.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 02:24 PM

OMG:eek::eek:

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Circle Jerk

Reaper16
10-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey, its not like I want Cassel to suck. I want the direct opposite. But he hasn't been playing as well as he should, given his talents and performance last year.

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey, its not like I want Cassel to suck. I want the direct opposite. But he hasn't been playing as well as he should, given his talents and performance last year.

Come on dude look his TD to INT ratio is 2/1. You agree theres no talent on this offense correct? I agree he's inaccurate throwing the ball deep but we already knew that.

kstater
10-04-2009, 02:28 PM

That's a fair point. He's made some bad plays this year. He's also made some great plays we haven't seen from a KC QB in many years.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Come on dude look his TD to INT ratio is 2/1. You agree theres no talent on this offense correct? I agree he's inaccurate throwing the ball deep but we already knew that.

He hasn't been accurate on any level so far.

Perhaps this will improve, but he's shown nothing so far, other than an ability to scramble a little bit.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:29 PM
That's a fair point. He's made some bad plays this year. He's also made some great plays we haven't seen from a KC QB in many years.

Such as?

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:31 PM
He hasn't been accurate on any level so far.

Perhaps this will improve, but he's shown nothing so far, other than an ability to scramble a little bit.

But his completion % was 66% going into todays game.

kstater
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Such as?

The TD to Bradley last week for example.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
But his completion % was 66% going into todays game.

Last week he didn't throw beyond 5 yards. His QB rating, IIRC, was over 100.

Numbers can be misleading sometimes.

BigMeatballDave
10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
But his completion % was 66% going into todays game.Yes, but that is deceiving. Most of that is short stuff. How many intermediate to long receptions has he had?

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
The TD to Bradley last week for example.

That's an NFL throw. But this needs to be the norm and not the exception.

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Last week he didn't throw beyond 5 yards. His QB rating, IIRC, was over 100.

Numbers can be misleading sometimes.

But you said he wasn't accurate anywhere. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything with you and I respect what you're saying but I really don't think Cassel is the problem with this team.

Marcellus
10-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I dunno, I am going to hope and pray that some time during Cassel's carrer in KC we get him a decent line and a few weapons.

Right now I would take a decent line. Then I will judge him.

Trent Green had a better line his first year and better weapons (Priest and Gonzo) and stunk it up.

Titty Meat
10-04-2009, 02:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7406/situational;_ylt=Atvvc917UHNceT.o7TZRy0H.uLYF

BigMeatballDave
The TD to Bradley last week for example.That was a good pass, but an even better play by Bradley.

kstater
That's an NFL throw. But this needs to be the norm and not the exception.

I'm not denying that, I'm saying we haven't seen it from a KC QB in years

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
But you said he wasn't accurate anywhere. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything with you and I respect what you're saying but I really don't think Cassel is the problem with this team.

Obviously, Cassel should have far more success with these throws, but even last week he was misfiring. < 10 yards should be something that is rarely off-target. Not quite true last week.

Still, I don't think Cassel is the problem, either.

My complaint is that I don't think he'll be a solution, just a serviceable option.

And I'm tired of settling for mediocrity.

luv
10-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I wanted them to try Croyle in the 4th quarter. Cassel needs to learn how to get rid of the ball. He also needs to stop throwing 4 yard passes when we're 3rd & 18. That could be play calling though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
10-04-2009, 02:39 PM
There are clearly larger concerns on this club. A team can win games with a QB of Cassel's aptitude. Just not our team.

Marcellus
10-04-2009, 02:40 PM
There are clearly larger concerns on this club. A team can win games with a QB of Cassel's aptitude. Just not our team.

Yup. Payton Manning would be 0-4 with this group.

Edit: 3-1 We would have beat Oakland.

King_Chief_Fan
10-04-2009, 02:42 PM
yeah,we should be sure not to expect too much....for what he is getting paid

Mr. Krab
10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
So far it looks like we just gave a giant contract to Damon Huard's younger brother.

KCrockaholic
10-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I like what Cassel has done so far. Hes done the absolute most with what he has. Its not his fault receivers can get out of their routes and find a way open. They double Bowe and everyone else just sucks bad enough that they dont have to focus on shutting them down.

KCrockaholic
10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Paying 60 Mil to a QB on a running team? Thats foolish. But Cassel has done well with what he has, like I said.

WilliamTheIrish
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm all ears. How does Cassel raise the level of play of the OLine? Do tell. By completing passes from the huddle?

BossChief
10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm all ears. How does Cassel raise the level of play of the OLine? Do tell. By completing passes from the huddle?

Get the damn ball out faster for starters, having a quick release for two and not staring at one guy and waiting for him to get open and go through his damn progressions more frequently.

A qb has to have a mental clock that at about 3.5 seconds, the balls out. Cassel doesnt have that and he is no Rothlisberger, well not yet anyway.

The oline played a good game today if you take into consideration they were supposed to get absolutly dominated against the best defensivecfront in the game, in manys opinion, and that didnt happen.

Cassel had time today and didnt deliver.

kstater
10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Wait, you think Cassel had 3.5 seconds on the majority of the passes?

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Get the damn ball out faster for starters, having a quick release for two and not staring at one guy and waiting for him to get open and go through his damn progressions more frequently.

A qb has to have a mental clock that at about 3.5 seconds, the balls out. Cassel doesnt have that and he is no Rothlisberger, well not yet anyway.

The oline played a good game today if you take into consideration they were supposed to get absolutly dominated against the best defensivecfront in the game, in manys opinion, and that didnt happen.

Are you serious?

Cassel had time today, but not very much. The only reason the Chiefs get any passes off at all is because Cassel is getting rid of the ball so quick.

The problem isn't that. It's that Cassel doesn't have time to look at multiple options and often has to force the ball into a tough spot rather than go through progressions.

If he goes through progressions, he's dead.

4th and Long
10-04-2009, 04:11 PM
If he goes through progressions, he's dead.
Actually, that's incorrect.

He's dead while attempting to go through the progression.

I'm not entirely sure he has the time to go through the entire progression before eating the ball.

milkman
10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Cassel got sacked 47 times behind the very same line Tom Brady had only gotten sacked 12 times the year before.

He needs to develop the mental clock all good qbs have.

What free agent linemen did he fail to bring in? Were they even interested in coming here to a 2-14 team, that is a big consideration.

I fully agree we should have spent a 3rd AND fourth rounder on oline, but maybe they felt the value wasnt there, I trust your opinion more than most on the web, at this board and others concening oline play, so I ask you a question...

who should we have selected or brought in?

We should have made an honest push for a guy like Matt Birk, if we had no chance for Jason Brown.

We should have drafted Antoine Caldwell and Fenuki Topou.

We should have at least persued Tony Paschos when he was cut.

There were a lot of different options that we never appeared to even begin to contemplate.

4th and Long
10-04-2009, 04:16 PM
We should have made an honest push for a guy like Matt Birk, if we had no chance for Jason Brown.

We should have drafted Antoine Caldwell and Fenuki Topou.

We should have at least persued Tony Paschos when he was cut.

There were a lot of different options that we never appeared to even begin to contemplate.
Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda.

milkman
10-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I still feel David Carr got ripped off in Houston. He "never" had an O-line in Houston and was running for his life every damn game. By the time he got to Carolina his confidence was so shot he nevered recovered. Cassel and Brokie for that matter are experiencing the same here in KC IMO. Will Cassel become "pocket shy" in due time(never stepping up in the pocket confidently regardless of the pressure?) not to mention putting your huge investment $$$$ at risk by injury with this "HORRID O-line".:shake::shake:

David Carr was sacked something like 75 times in his last season as a Texan.

The following year with Matt Shaub starting most games and Jordan Black as the only addition to that O-Line, that O-Line gave up fewer than half that number.

David Carr didn't get ruined by that O-Line.
He was responsible for making that O-Line far worse than they actually were.

WilliamTheIrish
10-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Forgive me but if you get the ball out faster, that means routes are shorter and will, by design, be run and thrown short of the sticks.
And the Oline was .... almost okay. Still had guys coming from all sides today which is no different than against any other team we've played.

Dude, we have an atrocious line (completely and totally the fault of the new GM) a RB who is on the downside, and our receivers (Bowe included) are decidedly below average.

Progressions... hilarious. Let's see "Snap... avoid Tuck, move left, Where's Bowe? ... move left...Avoid Robbins... where's Larry?... Can't throw it to him... he has hands worse than Bowe.." That's under seconds with this OLine.

This is what it is. Rebuild from the bottom up.

I'm not saying you can't bitch and stamp your foot. Feel free. It's not going to change what this roster is composed of: Feces.

Bike
10-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Cassel is a 63 million dollar backup. Sanchez/Britton/Caldwell/Maiava/Tupou would look good. But how can you argue the genius that is Pioli...

cdcox
10-04-2009, 04:33 PM
His circumstances aren't great in that the OL doesn't give him much protection and none of his receivers are consistently getting separation. But he has to be much more consistent on the opportunities that he does get. He missed at least 3 big plays today. He can't do that.

He also needs to get the ball out faster. I'm not sure if we are running any timing routes, but it sure doesn't look like it. That pass to Ryan that was almost picked was way, way late getting there.

WilliamTheIrish
10-04-2009, 04:41 PM
His circumstances aren't great in that the OL doesn't give him much protection and none of his receivers are consistently getting separation. But he has to be much more consistent on the opportunities that he does get. He missed at least 3 big plays today. He can't do that.

He also needs to get the ball out faster. I'm not sure if we are running any timing routes, but it sure doesn't look like it. That pass to Ryan that was almost picked was way, way late getting there.

The underthrow on the possible TD after Hali stripped MAnning was brutal. Absolutely legit criticism.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
The underthrow on the possible TD after Hali stripped MAnning was brutal. Absolutely legit criticism.

He's also had some pretty decent mental blunders that are unacceptable.

End of the first half against Oak. Today's fourth down false start. Bush league crap.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 04:50 PM
End of the first half against Oak. Today's fourth down false start. Bush league crap.

He was trying to draw them offsides. Don't be obtuse.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 04:53 PM

I don't understand why people insist that he's too slow to get rid of the ball. He doesn't have time to have anything but a lightning quick release. The throw to Ryan is one of the only I saw where his timing was off, and who knows... it's quite possible Ryan broke his route off too soon. We don't know that.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I fully expect to see Cassel benched in mid season if this shit continues, he is making bad decisions with the football and relying on his WRs too much for YAC.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I fully expect to see Cassel benched in mid season if this shit continues, he is making bad decisions with the football and relying on his WRs too much for YAC.

So the better solution is to throw downfield and take a sack?

munkey
10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
:whackit:I fully expect to see Cassel benched in mid season if this shit continues, he is making bad decisions with the football and relying on his WRs too much for YAC.

:whackit:

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
He was trying to draw them offsides. Don't be obtuse.

In addition to the horse chick, I expect to see a few Cassel gifs, as he over/underthrows receivers.

cdcox
10-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't understand why people insist that he's too slow to get rid of the ball. He doesn't have time to have anything but a lightning quick release. The throw to Ryan is one of the only I saw where his timing was off, and who knows... it's quite possible Ryan broke his route off too soon. We don't know that.

I'll give you two more:

The near TD to Engram, needed to be further AND earlier.

The batted ball in the 4th that was almost picked off -- he was staring and pumping. The DL had time to read where the ball was going and that is why it was batted.

Cassel is just not a quick release guy. He makes plays by holding the ball for a long time waiting for guys to come open. That's gutsy and everything, but QBs who make plays that way tend to get into the habit of holding it too long on every play. They depend on what they see rather than throwing according to the design of the play and the timing.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 05:14 PM
So the better solution is to throw downfield and take a sack?

better solution make better reads, their were people open downfield but Cassel doesn't have faith in his arm to hit a target downfield.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
better solution make better reads, their were people open downfield but Cassel doesn't have faith in his arm to hit a target downfield.

The receivers weren't getting open and Cassel only has time to make one read. And I'm sure a lot of that is mental too. Sometimes you hear footsteps in your head.

It has nothing to do with faith in his arm. He doesn't look comfortable in the pocket and who could blame him?

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
The receivers weren't getting open and Cassel only has time to make one read. And I'm sure a lot of that is mental too. Sometimes you hear footsteps in your head.

BS, I saw the replays when they had the backfield view of the offense, Bradley and Bowe were open past 10, but Cassel was afraid of that option or had no confidence in his ability to get the ball there. Hence, all the check downs.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
BS, I saw the replays when they had the backfield view of the offense, Bradley and Bowe were open past 10, but Cassel was afraid of that option or had no confidence in his ability to get the ball there. Hence, all the check downs.

Yeah, because this was clearly a huge problem last year in New England.

Most of the replays I saw, the receivers weren't getting open. If they were open, there was plenty of safety help. The plays you're probably referring to were probably designed screens, because the Chiefs ran a lot of them. Because on most plays, Cassel didn't check down to the receiver--he threw to the first option he looked at. Which is a bad habit, but it's something you have to do when you don't trust your protection.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, because this was clearly a huge problem last year in New England.

It was nice when you have Moss and Welker to save his ass with YAC, because he wasn't doing KC's WRs any favors today. Shit, who am I kidding you were one of the same guys who were defending Thigpen as the QBOTF when he was doing his thing.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I'll give you two more:

The near TD to Engram, needed to be further AND earlier.

The batted ball in the 4th that was almost picked off -- he was staring and pumping. The DL had time to read where the ball was going and that is why it was batted.

Cassel is just not a quick release guy. He makes plays by holding the ball for a long time waiting for guys to come open. That's gutsy and everything, but QBs who make plays that way tend to get into the habit of holding it too long on every play. They depend on what they see rather than throwing according to the design of the play and the timing.

Yeah, he makes that mistake from time to time, but over the last two weeks, he's made a lot of plays where he got rid of the ball very fast. I'm willing to overlook a few mistakes, if he's getting better the majority of the time.

And it goes without saying that a lot of that is a timing issue, in my opinion, than an issue of holding on to the ball. Holding on to the ball, to me, is a guy who looks at 4 reads before making a decision. Timing is when you don't hit your receiver in lockstep with the route. That's something you hope and expect will develop over time. I thought Eli looked off timing with Manningham and very comfortable with Boss/Smith. And a lot of that is because Eli knows Smith and vice versa. Cassel doesn't have that kind of a working relationship with his receivers just yet.

philfree
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Until our o line can block with a little consistency there's no way we can truely judge Cassel. I mean even if on one play the line makes their blocks Cassel's not ready for it because it don't happen enough. How could any QB get any kind of rhythm or confidence behind our line?

PhilFree:arrow:

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
How could any QB get any kind of rhythm or confidence behind our line?

It would help if he was really good looking and had the last name 'Sanchez.'

Reaper16
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Relying on his WRs for YAC represents the entirety of his success last year with NE.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Cassel is Trent Green with a better build. Holds on to the ball way too long and doesn't have great arm strength. He is going to need a great team around him to be successful. I just don't see him being a true elite QB, he will be mid to average at best.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Cassel is Trent Green with a better build. Holds on to the ball way too long and doesn't have great arm strength. He is going to need a great team around him to be successful. I just don't see him being a true elite QB, he will be mid to average at best.

No, Trent was a surgeon on the field the guy got the ball where it needed to be, Cassel on the other hand seems like he doesn't have confidence in his ability to stretch the field or throw the ball beyond 10 yards. Which results in the numerous checkdowns.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 05:56 PM

His arm is MUCH stronger than Green's.

And I still don't understand these comments about him holding on to the ball too long. He doesn't have time to hold on to the ball too long. Again, holding onto the ball, to me, is when a QB takes a sack because he can't read defenses fast enough to make a decision on an averagely protected play.

Yes, his timing is off, but that is an entirely different thing. That should hopefully come with a better chemistry with his receivers and probably will come as he begins to have a consistent pocket to work with. Particularly in terms of interior protection. It's a lot harder to have the vision to read a defense when the interior keeps collapsing on you.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
And I still don't understand these comments about him holding on to the ball too long. He doesn't have time to hold on to the ball too long. Again, holding onto the ball, to me, is when a QB takes a sack because he can't read defenses fast enough to make a decision on an averagely protected play.

From last year with New England.

Mecca
10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
You know what's sad...

Cassel is the same age Roethlisberger is.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
No, Trent was a surgeon on the field the guy got the ball where it needed to be, Cassel on the other hand seems like he doesn't have confidence in his ability to stretch the field or throw the ball beyond 10 yards. Which results in the numerous checkdowns.

Are you kidding me?

The reason Trent was a "surgeon" was because he had the time to go through his progressions, usually look to 3 or 4 receivers, and then make a decision. All the while, he had a pocket to operate in that not only gave him room to step into his throws, but also a crease that created a clear passing window for him to see.

Cassel didn't have a problem last year in terms of confidence throwing downfield. I agree that maybe he doesn't have the confidence to trust his line, but to suggest that he doesn't have confidence in his arm is beyond ridiculous. Most of his short passes are designed short passes or screens where he's required to check down. On others, because of his limited time to throw, he only has time to look at one receiver. If he's not open, then you go for the safe checkdown.

You're acting like he has time to see the entire field. He doesn't have the time OR the passing window to look at all his receiving targets.

OnTheWarpath15
His arm is MUCH stronger than Green's.

Yes, his timing is off, but that is an entirely different thing. That should hopefully come with a better chemistry with his receivers and probably will come as he begins to have a consistent pocket to work with. Particularly in terms of interior protection. It's a lot harder to have the vision to read a defense when the interior keeps collapsing on you.

Dude.

Watch the game again, and count the seconds from the snap to his release, or him getting hit.

The line, while still far from great, was MUCH better today, especially considering the opponent.

If that clock in your head hits 4 seconds, and you still have the ball, you fucked up.

Cassel fucked up a lot today.

Chiefshrink
David Carr was sacked something like 75 times in his last season as a Texan.

The following year with Matt Shaub starting most games and Jordan Black as the only addition to that O-Line, that O-Line gave up fewer than half that number.

David Carr didn't get ruined by that O-Line.
He was responsible for making that O-Line far worse than they actually were.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease:rolleyes: 36 sacks still means the O-line sucks.

QB makes the O-line worse? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM

And this year, sans the Eagles game.

The other two games, he's had time, and has made poor decisions and inaccurate throws.

Christ, he threw a WR SCREEN into the dirt today.

A WR SCREEN.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

And that's fine, but it hasn't happened much in KC. Given how shitty his protection is, I think most would agree that he's taken an admirably low amount of sacks. Especially given that he's learning by standing in the pocket, and not trying to run at the first sign of pressure.

Hydrae
10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Today was the first time I have gotten to see the Chiefs on local tv. I must say I saw a very gunshy QB out there. As soon as he felt the first bit of pressure he seemed to panic. He was looking for a way out almost from the snap. This may be due to his experiences behind this line already but if he can't get comfortable he will never take his game to the level of an NFL starting QB.

By the same token, I liked what I saw from LJ. He was the lone bright spot on the offense today imo.

TRR
10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I can't believe what fans expect. This is Cassel's first full season preparing as a starter in a new offensive system. To compound the problem, he is throwing to new WR's every week, and the O Line is more fluid than water.

This is a learning season for everyone including Cassel. Haley just has to stay the course, keep consistent, and add piece after piece to the puzzle. This year isn't the year to judge Cassel....like most of you experts did in Trent Green's first season as the starting QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Dude.

Watch the game again, and count the seconds from the snap to his release, or him getting hit.

The line, while still far from great, was MUCH better today, especially considering the opponent.

If that clock in your head hits 4 seconds, and you still have the ball, you ****ed up.

Cassel ****ed up a lot today.

Give me a break.

Holding onto the ball too long now means "4 seconds"? On Sanchez's fumble in the end zone, he was holding the ball for at least 10 seconds. I can think of a handful of times when Cassel has ever had that kind of time.

And while the protection didn't blow as many blocks as the Eagles game, that doesn't change the fact that the interior got dominated all game long.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Today was the first time I have gotten to see the Chiefs on local tv. I must say I saw a very gunshy QB out there. As soon as he felt the first bit of pressure he seemed to panic. He was looking for a way out almost from the snap. This may be due to his experiences behind this line already but if he can't get comfortable he will never take his game to the level of an NFL starting QB.

By the same token, I liked what I saw from LJ. He was the lone bright spot on the offense today imo.

I 100% agree. He doesn't look comfortable back there. And who can blame him? Last game, he couldn't even finish his dropback without getting popped.

I'm hoping that today's game gives him at least a little bit more confidence going into next week. He's got a case of happy feet back there and most QBs do when they're frustrated with their protection. Peyton is a prime example of that.

milkman
10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease:rolleyes: 36 sacks still means the O-line sucks.

QB makes the O-line worse? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!:rolleyes:

I never said they were good.

I said he made them look worse than they were.

When an O-Line sees it's sack number drop by half, and the only change in that line is a player who we all know sucks ass, then that speaks to the QB.

Carr never learned to go through his prgressions, nver laerned to read a defense.

He simply locked onto his primary target, held onto the ball too long, and the result , more often than not, was a sack that he wouldn't have taken if he had just gone to his second read.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Bottom line: When you have a horrible O-line, inconsistent recievers and QB learning a new offensive system that knows his O-line sucks, guess what? It is a perfect receipe for preventing chemistry and trust to occur which are key factors to winning besides the fact we have very little talent on either side of the ball.

If we don't David Carr this kid into the ground first by at least protecting him, what little I have seen of Cassel's arm and athletic ability in pre-season and moments of these few games of the season ,I see alot of John Elway in this kid.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Bottom line: When you have a horrible O-line, inconsistent recievers and QB learning a new offensive system that knows his O-line sucks, guess what? It is a perfect receipe for preventing chemistry and trust to occur which are key factors to winning besides the fact we have very little talent on either side of the ball.

If we don't David Carr this kid into the ground first by at least protecting him, what little I have seen of Cassel's arm and athletic ability in pre-season and moments of these few games of the season ,I see alot of John Elway in this kid.

ROFL

John Elway.

Fucking priceless.

BossChief
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
I love it how Cassel can be as inaccurate as Thigpen was and somehow gets a pass.

I dont want to hear a peep comparing Cassel to Trent, either. So far, its laughable. Trent had far less talent at wr and had the balls to throw it past ten yards.

How can people not see that?

Cassel just had two consecutive games at sub 100 yards passing (if it werent for garbage time yardage)

We have to be pn pace to set the mark for futility on third down as well asxthree n outs for a season.

I think he will continue to get better and find his stride shortly after the bye, but I also think critism is very just at this point.

Bane
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM

John Elway........ROFL
If you see John Elway in Cassel,its because Elway has him bent over the rail,running up in him.ROFL

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I never said they were good.

I said he made them look worse than they were.

When an O-Line sees it's sack number drop by half, and the only change in that line is a player who we all know sucks ass, then that speaks to the QB.

Carr never learned to go through his prgressions, nver laerned to read a defense.

He simply locked onto his primary target, held onto the ball too long, and the result , more often than not, was a sack that he wouldn't have taken if he had just gone to his second read.

Kinda hard to go through your progressions when you are running for your life. I watched alot of Texan football his first 3yrs because I had the NFL Ticket and very rarily did he ever have the luxery of setting up in the pocket to go through his progressions because he was running for his life. By year 4 and 5 his confidence is ruined IMO thus preventing him to get comfortable in the pocket.

I get your point but I guess I respectfully disagree and I hope Pioli and Haley don't ruin Cassel's confidence either by allowing him to get "pocket shy" by not at least getting him an adequate O-line so he can trust standing in and stepping up making his progression reads to complete a majority of his passes.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
ROFL

John Elway.

****ing priceless.

Arguably the greatest player to ever play...

When the Chiefs actually find an elite QB, Arrowhead will be a fucking nightmare for opponents because of all the excitement.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
A

You're acting like he has time to see the entire field. He doesn't have the time OR the passing window to look at all his receiving targets.

He does have enough time to scan the whole field and throw it, and I like to know where this Trent Green can't do shit without his HOF line. the guy got killed because he was trying to mnake something happen when Jordan Black completely whiffed , and then Green slid while dickhead Gaithers decided to killshot Trent on a late hit.

Chiefshrink
10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
ROFL

John Elway.

****ing priceless.

Give him a respectable O-line and consistent receivers and you will see:thumb:

I have lived out here in Denver since 88 and I have seen everyone of Elway's games since that time(thick and thin) and I'm telling you if you give Cassel the right supporting cast we will have a helluva QB.

Again as I have stated earlier in this thread, Brady and Manning would not have done any better with this O-line we have now. Chief fans are just highly highly frustrated and impatient seeing the same crappy O-line that does not allow for highly efficient QBing to take place.

milkman
10-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Kinda hard to go through your progressions when you are running for your life. I watched alot of Texan football his first 3yrs because I had the NFL Ticket and very rarily did he ever have the luxery of setting up in the pocket to go through his progressions because he was running for his life. By year 4 and 5 his confidence is ruined IMO thus preventing him to get comfortable in the pocket.

I get your point but I guess I respectfully disagree and I hope Pioli and Haley don't ruin Cassel's confidence either by allowing him to get "pocket shy" by not at least getting him an adequate O-line so he can trust standing in and stepping up making his progression reads to complete a majority of his passes.

I watched a lot of Texans too, because I got into this same debate that he held onto the ball too long coming out of college, and yes there were times when he did have to move out of the pocket quickly, but he also had plenty of times when he had plenty of time and he simply never learned ot read a defense.

The fact is, as bad as Cassel has looked this season, he is the victim of the worst protection I have ever seen.

Carr's protection in Houston wasn't nearly as bad as this, but he simply held onto the ball too long when he did have the time.

I am not concerned that Cassel will be ruined by this line.

If he is the player some think he is, he will be there on the other side of the tunnel, so to speak.

I do believe he has the work ethic and mental fortitude to get through this.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Dude.

If that clock in your head hits 4 seconds, and you still have the ball, you fucked up.

Cassel fucked up a lot today.

To answer the OP; nothing. I expect not a God damned thing.

smittysbar
10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Give him a respectable O-line and consistent receivers and you will see:thumb:

I have lived out here in Denver since 88 and I have seen everyone of Elway's games since that time(thick and thin) and I'm telling you if you give Cassel the right supporting cast we will have a helluva QB.

Again as I have stated earlier in this thread, Brady and Manning would not have done any better with this O-line we have now. Chief fans are just highly highly frustrated and impatient seeing the same crappy O-line that does not allow for highly efficient QBing to take place.

This is Bull Shit. First off, Elway, really?

To say that 2 of the best QB's in the game wouldn't do better is fucking retarded. He was not good today what so ever. He missed on his passes and held onto the ball to long, even when he had time. On most of his completions he threw the ball behind his targets. He has not been accurate what so ever.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 07:00 PM
This is Bull Shit. First off, Elway, really?

To say that 2 of the best QB's in the game wouldn't do better is ****ing retarded. He was not good today what so ever. He missed on his passes and held onto the ball to long, even when he had time. On most of his completions he threw the ball behind his targets. He has not been accurate what so ever.

We have to hope that, with a legitimate o-line, Cassel will look like an entirely different player.

If we're seeing snapshots, however, of what he really is, sans Moss and Welker, we're in deep shit.

milkman
10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
We have to hope that, with a legitimate o-line, Cassel will look like an entirely different player.

If we're seeing snapshots, however, of what he really is, sans Moss and Welker, we're in deep shit.

Not if we can find the next Moss and Welker.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Well, fuck, if that's all...

Matt Elway will be off and running.

smittysbar
10-04-2009, 07:04 PM

I agree, and will hold off judgment on him thus far, but he deserves the criticism that he gets for a poor performance. I hope to hell he turns into something great, but to be honest I never thought he was anything special to start with.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Wake me when they find the next Damion McIntosh, much less Moss/Welker.

We've had, what, 4 different RT's this year?

And none of them are better than the guy who was cut.

smittysbar
10-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, fuck, if that's all...

Matt Elway will be off and running.

:evil:

Marcellus
10-04-2009, 07:06 PM

It goes both ways. Welker didn't do much prior to going to NE.

They got him for what a 2nd round pick? He was thought of as a returner mainly.

NE reinvented the Welker type slot receiver through their system and QB. Now everybody wants and needs one.

Marcellus
10-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Wake me when they find the next Damion McIntosh, much less Moss/Welker.

We've had, what, 4 different RT's this year?

And none of them are better than the guy who was cut.

You thought today was as bad as the first 3 games at RT?

WilliamTheIrish
10-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Our expectations of Cassel?

My expectation is that one day we'll look back and say the trade for Cassel was a steal.

The reality seems to be the guy may end up living like Darrell Stingly playing QB behind this line.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 07:11 PM
You thought today was as bad as the first 3 games at RT?

Today was fractionably better than Ndukwe, but still is below what McIntosh was giving us.

Let me make this clear:

I'm not saying Mac was great. Or even good.

But he was absolutely better than the people that have attempted to replace him.

Another WTF moment when it comes to talent evaluation.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Today was fractionably better than Ndukwe, but still is below what McIntosh was giving us.

Disagree.

O'Callaghan was at least as good in pass blocking and much better in run blocking.

I didn't see any "oles" in the old McIntosh style.

I could be wrong, though. A closer study will be needed.

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I expect more than an LJ,

Is that too much?

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Disagree.

O'Callaghan was at least as good in pass blocking and much better in run blocking.

You're wrong. He blew several assignments.

He's the best RT on the roster, however.

Not that that's saying much.

Marcellus
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Disagree.

Check it out and let us know because I agree with you. It looked to me O'Callaghan was much better than McInsuck but then again that ain't saying a whole lot.

But he looked more than marginally better to me. Goff once again blew chunks.

luv
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I like what Cassel has done so far. Hes done the absolute most with what he has. Its not his fault receivers can get out of their routes and find a way open. They double Bowe and everyone else just sucks bad enough that they dont have to focus on shutting them down.

He's always throwing behind people. It's everyone else who's off? For $60+ million, I think he should also be able to adjust and get rid of the ball faster. Bowe is not our only decent receiver.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 07:18 PM
He does have enough time to scan the whole field and throw it, and I like to know where this Trent Green can't do shit without his HOF line. the guy got killed because he was trying to mnake something happen when Jordan Black completely whiffed , and then Green slid while dickhead Gaithers decided to killshot Trent on a late hit.

I like Trent Green. But he was absolutely a product of his offensive line.

And no, Cassel doesn't have enough time or the vision to consistently look down the field. He has an obstructed passing window and he usually only has time to scan one receiver and if not, then he has to check down to a safety valve. And most of the time, his primary read isn't open.

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 07:18 PM
He's always throwing behind people. It's everyone else who's off? For $60+ million, I think he should also be able to adjust and get rid of the ball faster. Bowe is not our only decent receiver.

So the line does not matter besides every snap?

So who is good? In the NFL, not the only one?

Just asking.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM

And Eli was throwing behind Manningham all game long.

That's a timing issue more than anything. You have to know the speed of your receiver. Cassel hasn't had much time to develop that. Bowe's been in and out of practice and Wade's been here for only 3 weeks.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I like Trent Green. But he was absolutely a product of his offensive line.

And no, Cassel doesn't have enough time or the vision to consistently look down the field.

Dude, their were multiple times he had at least 3 seconds in the pocket without a hand in his face, and still he decided to checkdown. The guy doesn't have faith in his arm for the accurate long range pass. watch the tape

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Money does not matter versus other years. This is the recent market. IMO

Hammock Parties
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Dude, their were multiple times he had at least 3 seconds in the pocket without a hand in his face, and still he decided to checkdown. The guy doesn't have faith in his arm for the accurate long range pass. watch the tape

I think it's much more likely we don't have a receiver worth a shit at getting open down the field.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I think it's much more likely we don't have a receiver worth a shit at getting open down the field.

Bradley and Bowe were open downfield, but he chose to go to his outlet man Wade.

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 07:23 PM

Wow multiple times with 3 seconds, OK My sarcasm meter might be broke, but its starting to work.

It was not sarcasm?

LOL

You was serious?

ROFLMAO

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow multiple times with 2 seconds, OK My sarcasm meter might be broke, but its starting to work.

It was not sarcasm?

LOL

3 seconds is the standard mark for maneuverability and progressions in the pocket, and Cassel blew it or shit himself in the process.

luv
10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
So the line does not matter besides every snap?

So who is good? In the NFL, not the only one?

Just asking.

No, it's not completely on him. I just think he should be connecting more than he has been. We can keep making excuses, but at what point can he no longer use those excuses? How long does it take to learn a receiver?

Pioli Zombie
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
It could be worse. He could suck as much as Mark Sanchez sucked today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You know what? I don't even care. I just do...not care.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't see the game. Saw highlights of a terrible pick in the first half and an instance when he held the ball way too ****ing long in his own end zone. Sounds like he had a shitty game.

But that's the learning curve of a n00b. Those types of games are to be expected.

Cassel, however, is not a n00b, and I refuse to grade him as such. As a 27-year-old player coming from the Executive of the Century's former organization, I expect, and frankly demand, that he raise the level of play of those around him.

He can start by hitting wide open receivers when he has the opportunity.

Our line ****ing sucks, but, unfortunately, so has Cassel.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
If Doomy wants to call this bet off that's fine with me. There is absolutely nothing to be prideful about with this team, and I no longer care enough to even enjoy the win.

CHIEFS58
10-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Its real simple. he cant play to his ability because the line is atrocious and we have no receivers. Until that changes, he cant get any better. This is a TEAM sport, and he cant do it all. Hell, he cant do anything unless he has some protection or someone that can at the least HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

kcpasco
10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Its real simple. he cant play to his ability because the line is atrocious and we have no receivers. Until that changes, he cant get any better. This is a TEAM sport, and he cant do it all. Hell, he cant do anything unless he has some protection or someone that can at the least HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

True, but he did overthrow a few open recievers today

luv
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Didn't see the game. Saw highlights of a terrible pick in the first half and an instance when he held the ball way too ****ing long in his own end zone. Sounds like he had a shitty game.

But that's the learning curve of a n00b. Those types of games are to be expected.

Cassel, however, is not a n00b, and I refuse to grade him as such. As a 27-year-old player coming from the Executive of the Century's former organization, I expect, and frankly demand, that he raise the level of play of those around him.

Finally! Someone with sense!

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Don't agree at all. If this were true, he shouldn't even be playing because he's only risking injury.

The line play is bad, but he has to make the most of the few opportunities that he does get. And today he was just plain awful.

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM

This...
Plus Sanchez is going to be a stud QB... Bitch about it all you want Zombie, but he will be a great QB for many years to come...

cdcox
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
True, but he did overthrow a few open recievers today

Yep, you can't really bash the rest of the team and give Cassel a pass when he was the reason several plays failed.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Finally! Someone with sense and strikingly good looks!

If you could follow me around and post this immediately after each my nuggets of brilliance, I would be appreciative.

boogblaster
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Croyle has the better arm ...

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
This...
Plus Sanchez is going to be a stud QB... Bitch about it all you want Zombie, but he will be a great QB for many years to come...

Hows that new pup working out for your family, by the way?

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 08:19 PM
3 seconds is the standard mark for maneuverability and progressions in the pocket, and Cassel blew it or shit himself in the process.

3 seconds is enough time to do a 3-second drop, plant, and throw. Most QBs have time to do 5-step drops. Kurt Warner often does close to a seven-step drop. To suggest that this is nearly enough time for a QB to make reads is a high standard. Sure, you need to do it every once in a while, but when that becomes the standard? That's pathetic.

His protection was better today. But he still had the interior collapse on the majority of pass plays. And that makes it a lot harder on the QB than you seem to realize.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 08:19 PM
What's with this crap that Cassel has no WR's?

Bowe and Bradley both looked good last year with TYLER FUCKING THIGPEN throwing them the ball.

Are you telling me, that under Todd Haley, they guy who supposedly made Larry Fitzgerald a great player, Bowe and Bradley have regressed horribly?

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Hows that new pup working out for your family, by the way?

She is awesome... Seems like she is on crack half the time... But she is doing well..

Thanks for asking! rep

luv
10-04-2009, 08:21 PM
This...

Yep. He needed this game, IMO.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Croyle has the better arm ...

Definitely better accuracy when throwing deep. If only he wasn't so fragile! :(

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Don't agree at all. If this were true, he shouldn't even be playing because he's only risking injury.

The line play is bad, but he has to make the most of the few opportunities that he does get. And today he was just plain awful.

I understand where you're coming from. But we also have to realize that most of the best QBs get rattled when their protection isn't outstanding. I've seen many games where Peyton develops happy feet--you put a little pressure on him early, and he really struggles in the second halves of games.

He has to hit those throws. But there's also something to be said for hearing footsteps in your head. I remember we used to drive Philip Rivers crazy. When I watch Cassel deliver the ball, I don't see him confidently striding into his throws. I see a guy who is throwing the ball as if he's expecting to get hit. That's just an opinion.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
She is awesome... Seems like she is on crack half the time... But she is doing well..

Thanks for asking! rep

That's great, dude.

I've had Aussies. Wonderful, wonderful dogs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks for asking! rep

Glad to hear it.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
What's with this crap that Cassel has no WR's?

Bowe and Bradley both looked good last year with TYLER ****ING THIGPEN throwing them the ball.

Are you telling me, that under Todd Haley, they guy who supposedly made Larry Fitzgerald a great player, Bowe and Bradley have regressed horribly?

The reason they looked great is because Gonzalez was drawing the doubles and usually getting most attention from the top cover guys.

Bowe was pretty much a #2 receiver and Bradley was pretty much a #3. I'm pretty convinced that that's the way it needs to be.

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Yep. He needed this game, IMO.

4 games into the Rookie season? yeah he could, but he has plenty of games left to "prove" himself...

I would take him over Castle anyday and twice on Sunday...

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 08:27 PM
That's great, dude.

I've had Aussies. Wonderful, wonderful dogs.

She is a blue Merle, I still want a red merle also....

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
The reason they looked great is because Gonzalez was drawing the doubles and usually getting most attention from the top cover guys.

Bowe was pretty much a #2 receiver and Bradley was pretty much a #3. I'm pretty convinced that that's the way it needs to be.

Yep.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM

I swear, you could publish a book the size of War and Peace with all the excuses you have.

I'm going to enjoy actually being at Arrowhead next week so I can see for myself how many times he's missing open WR's and checking down because he's more worried about taking a hit than delivering the ball to the only fucking playmaker we have.

Bowe is being targeted less than 5 times a game.

That's unfuckingacceptable. Open or not.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
4 games into the Rookie season? yeah he could, but he has plenty of games left to "prove" himself...

I would take him over Castle anyday and twice on Sunday...

Me too, at this point. I think he needed this game early in order to keep himself humble. Starting 3-0 as a rookie could go to his head. Overconfidence is evil. Better to learn that earlier than later.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
I swear, you could publish a book the size of War and Peace with all the excuses you have.

I'm going to enjoy actually being at Arrowhead next week so I can see for myself how many times he's missing open WR's and checking down because he's more worried about taking a hit than delivering the ball to the only fucking playmaker we have.

Bowe is being targeted less than 5 times a game.

That's unfuckingacceptable. Open or not.

I was at the game today and he missed a few open WR's especially on the one long pass play. If he would have put that on the money it would have been a TD for Bradley. He threw behind Bowe a couple of times but at the same time it hit Bowe in the hands and an NFL WR should make those catches.

But our WR's are pretty much shit and Bowe is still nursing a hamstring. Tony took alot of pressure off the WR's when he was here because he commanded 2-3 players covering him. That is why I really didn't want to trade him.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I was at the game today and he missed a few open WR's especially on the one long pass play. If he would have put that on the money it would have been a TD for Bradley. He threw behind Bowe a couple of times but at the same time it hit Bowe in the hands and an NFL WR should make those catches.

But our WR's are pretty much shit and Bowe is still nursing a hamstring. Tony took alot of pressure off the WR's when he was here because he commanded 2-3 players covering him. That is why I really didn't want to trade him.

His third game in, and he's still constantly throwing behind people. You can talk about today, but today seems to be a continuation of his last two games. Brodie vs Ravens > Cassel vs Giants, Philly, or Oakland. Call me dumb, but I just don't think that should be the case.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
His third game in, and he's still constantly throwing behind people. You can talk about today, but today seems to be a continuation of his last two games. Brodie vs Ravens > Cassel vs Giants, Philly, or Oakland. Call me dumb, but I just don't think that should be the case.

I hope Brodie gets a shot at starting elsewhere in the league. He'll never get it under Pioli.

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Me too, at this point. I think he needed this game early in order to keep himself humble. Starting 3-0 as a rookie could go to his head. Overconfidence is evil. Better to learn that earlier than later.

:thumb:

Good points...

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 08:48 PM

I am wondering if his knee injury is effecting him more than he is letting on.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:56 PM

LMAO

Sorry, I realize you're being serious. You do realize it appears that you're making ANOTHER excuse, though.

What next?

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 08:59 PM

He started gimping along at one point.

BossChief
10-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Im wondering if the timing of Thigpens trade happened more because he had finally gotten healthy, or they didnt want fans beating the drums to make a change if Cassel struggled and that they thought he would.

The drums can be very loud for a 0-4 team with two younger qbs on the sideline and a struggling starter.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Im wondering if the timing of Thigpens trade happened more because he had finally gotten healthy, or they didnt want fans beating the drums to make a change if Cassel struggled and that they thought he would.

The drums can be very loud for a 0-4 team with two younger qbs on the sideline and a struggling starter.

I think you're putting too much stock in to Pioli giving a flying fuck what the fans want.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
LMAO

Sorry, I realize you're being serious. You do realize it appears that you're making ANOTHER excuse, though.

What next?

Listen to what other QB's say about keeping their leg strength. It is the most important part of their body. That is why QB's that have knee injuries struggle alot of times until they regain most if not all of their strength back.

luv
10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Listen to what other QB's say about keeping their leg strength. It is the most important part of their body. That is why QB's that have knee injuries struggle alot of times.

I get it, and I understand, but it was your timing in bringing that up after mentioning everthing else.

Reerun_KC
10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I think you're putting too much stock in to Pioli giving a flying **** what the fans want.

This...

I dont think Pioli is anything like Carl was... Pioli is going to do it his way and his way only....

I would bet a million space bucks that he could give a fucking rats ass about a bunch of wanna be GMs off of Chiefsplanet as well...

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
This...

I dont think Pioli is anything like Carl was... Pioli is going to do it his way and his way only....

I would bet a million space bucks that he could give a fucking rats ass about a bunch of wanna be GMs off of Chiefsplanet as well...

Yep.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I get it, and I understand, but it was your timing in bringing that up after mentioning everthing else.

Ok. Cassel's long game has always been not very good but he was good last year in the short and intermediate routes. That is why I am thinking the knee is causing some problems where he can't step into throws and causing some of his inaccuracy.

But having Tony here would have helped because the guy can catch anything unlike our WR's who drop alot of passes.

BigChiefFan
10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
The O-line is weak. Cassel is coming off of injury. We have few weapons. The schedule is brutal. Haley has coached a total of 4 games. We've installed a new defense. The talent level is sub-par, at best. Players have made costly turn-overs and penalties.

What part don't some of you get? We are what we are.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
The O-line is weak. Cassel is coming off of injury. We have few weapons. The schedule is brutal. Haley has coached a total of 4 games. We've installed a new defense. The talent level is sub-par, at best. Players have made costly turn-overs and penalties.

What part don't some of you get? We are what we are.

Yep pretty much

luv
10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok. Cassel's long game has always been not very good but he was good last year in the short and intermediate routes. That is why I am thinking the knee is causing some problems where he can't step into throws and causing some of his inaccuracy.

But having Tony here would have helped because the guy can catch anything unlike our WR's who drop alot of passes.

I'm glad we don't have Tony. It makes our weaknesses in other areas more prevalent. Maybe we can address them. I simply think Cassel is one of them.

BossChief
10-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I think you're putting too much stock in to Pioli giving a flying **** what the fans want.

Not so much caring about hte wants of the fans as trying to preserve as much confidence in "HIS 60 million dollar man" in trying times because he wants him to make it through the storm as the unquestioned leader of the team.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Not so much caring about hte wants of the fans as trying to preserve as much confidence in "HIS 60 million dollar man" in trying times because he wants him to make it through the storm as the unquestioned leader of the team.

Can't argue that.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Chiefs fans are going to be talking endlessly about defensive prospects like Mays and Berry, but I'd almost bet that we're going to go o-line with our first-round pick.

And this place will melt the fuck down.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Chiefs fans are going to be talking endlessly about defensive prospects like Mays and Berry, but I'd almost bet that we're going to go o-line with our first-round pick.

You know I really doubt it because Pioli is all about defense-building. But then again, this IS the Chiefs were talking about.

Iowanian
I've evaluated my expectations for this season, and made peace with my decision to remain a Chiefs fan through thick and thin....even though I know she's a tramp and will break my heart.

The alternative to lowering my expectations as a Chiefs fan weren't affected by this bronco fan recruitment drive on orangeminge.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zVCrt_Or5kE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zVCrt_Or5kE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dirk digler
I'm glad we don't have Tony. It makes our weaknesses in other areas more prevalent. Maybe we can address them. I simply think Cassel is one of them.

I don't know about that. Our O-line still would suck and so would our WR's.

Cassel may or may not be one our weakness I think it is a little early to tell. I wasn't a fan of his and really didn't want him when they traded for him because I thought he was a 1-yr wonder

BigChiefFan
10-04-2009, 09:36 PM

And this place will melt the **** down.
I won't. If we land the number one LT prospect, I'll be pretty happy. Albert was taken later and can easily be moved to another position along the o-line. He's not getting the job done and I expect us to give serious consideration to LT, if he measures up to where we pick.

Iowanian
10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
It's pretty damn hard to evaluate a quarterback when the Oline is a broken levee and the WRs are pffffffffffft.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Is there an O-Line prospect worthy of the #1 overall pick?

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Is there an O-Line prospect worthy of the #1 overall pick?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

Thanks.

They do rank him very high and say he could be the #1 overall pick.

What do you think?

BigChiefFan
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Is there an O-Line prospect worthy of the #1 overall pick?Russell Okung is a darn good prospect from OSU. He would definitely help us improve the O-line long-term.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Our awesome brain trust would do something like that. Draft OL in a draft that is stacked with defense, of course they also went all defense last year in a OL heavy draft.

DeezNutz
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks.

They do rank him very high and say he could be the #1 overall pick.

What do you think?

I think he's a great prospect and would be definitely worthy of the draft slot. But, as you can imagine, I think moving Albert would be a mistake.

However, I also wouldn't have our LT weighing right around 300 lbs, so I'm not going to be surprised if this organization chases mistakes with other mistakes.

Truthfully, I haven't been impressed with any moves that the Executive of the Century has made since he's arrived.

BigChiefFan
10-04-2009, 09:51 PM
We could draft Okung and another high prospect or two with the high draft picks that we have. We'll be sitting pretty for adding talent through the draft.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Russell Okung is a darn good prospect from OSU. He would definitely help us improve the O-line long-term.

They have him ranked very high and this is an obvious position of need and talent.

I think he's a great prospect and would be definitely worthy of the draft slot. But, as you can imagine, I think moving Albert would be a mistake.

However, I also wouldn't have our LT weighing right around 300 lbs, so I'm not going to be surprised if this organization chases mistakes with other mistakes.

Truthfully, I haven't been impressed with any moves that the Executive of the Century has made since he's arrived.

So you think drafting him would be a mistake?

Reading what people say about him they think he is a lock for a franchise LT where as Albert isn't.

I was really really wanting Berry here but now I don't know.

Mecca
10-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Our awesome brain trust would do something like that. Draft OL in a draft that is stacked with defense, of course they also went all defense last year in a OL heavy draft.

They're ass backwards like that.

BigChiefFan
10-04-2009, 10:00 PM
They're ass backwards like that.
Yea, Imagine wanting the number one prospect at a huge position of need.

You're selling Okung a little short.

milkman
10-04-2009, 10:00 PM
They have him ranked very high and this is an obvious position of need and talent.

So you think drafting him would be a mistake?

Reading what people say about him they think he is a lock for a franchise LT where as Albert isn't.

I was really really wanting Berry here but now I don't know.

You have to make a decision.

Do you want to take a chance that Albert might overcome the struggles he's having right now and draft a playmaker at safety, or do you give up on your first round LT after only two years?

And bear in mind, the Steeler defense is playing at a level far below what we're accustomed to seeing since Troy Polomaulu went down to injury, so it's clear that a playmaking safety is an impact player.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-04-2009, 10:02 PM

Do you want to take a chance that Albert might overcome the struggles he's having right now and draft a playmaker at safety, or do you give up on your first round LT after only two years?

And bear in mind, the Steeler defense is playing at a level far below what we're accustomed to seeing since Troy Polomaulu went down to injury, so it's clear that a playmaking safety is an impact player.

You have to take the play maker.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM

I'd rather draft the safety. This coming from a guy who hounded Pioli for not bringing in o-line help.

This is my feeling... it's actually not overly difficult to find very good guards and centers in the 2nd-4th rounds. Somewhat true for RTs. I'd rather keep Albert put, load this roster with young, highly drafted interior linemen, and go from there. If we got a safety, and used the 2nd and 3rd round picks on a guard and center, I'd be very happy.

That's a really safe strategy, I know.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM

I have to say if the O-Line especially Brandon continues to play the way he has and they have the #1 pick this is a no brainer. This is by far the weakest part of our team and you are getting one of the best if not the best player to come out.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I have to say if the O-Line especially Brandon continues to play the way he has and they have the #1 pick this is a no brainer. This is by far the weakest part of our team and you are getting one of the best if not the best player to come out.

Albert is far from the problem here.

You waste potentially the #1 overall pick on a LT, and you're right back where you started, still looking for a LG, C, RG and RT.

dirk digler
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Albert is far from the problem here.

You waste potentially the #1 overall pick on a LT, and you're right back where you started, still looking for a LG, C, RG and RT.

But Brandon is part of the problem. He had 2-3 more penalties today and gave up a sack. If he can turn it around this season then I would go back to wanting Berry but at this point he is struggling big time.You can always move him back to guard or RT.

But we are a long ways from having to make this decision we still have 12 games to go plus they will definitely bring in some O-line FA's I suspect.

BossChief
10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
By years end, Albert will silence the thought that we have a need for a first round lt.

OnTheWarpath15
10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
But Brandon is part of the problem. He had 2-3 more penalties today and gave up a sack. If he can turn it around this season then I would go back to wanting Berry but at this point he is struggling big time.You can always move him back to guard or RT.

But we are a long ways from having to make this decision we still have 12 games to go plus they will definitely bring in some O-line FA's I suspect.

No offense, Dirk, but I'm sick of people claiming we can just move Albert and Waters and everything will be OK.

Albert isn't a good enough run blocker to play guard - he's a finesse player, not a road grader.

And Waters hasn't played center in 100 years, yet people want to move him thinking he'll be successful.

BossChief
10-04-2009, 11:40 PM
2-15 on third down (that makes it 2-26 the last two games iirc, pathetic for any qb of any team against any team)

47% passing

123 passing yards (about a third of those in garbage time.)

just not good enough, to me at least, so far anyway.

I understand protecting the ball and limiting your risks to better your chances, but you cant go without taking any risks.

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
2-15 on third down (that makes it 2-26 the last two games iirc, pathetic for any qb of any team against any team)

47% passing

123 passing yards (about a third of those in garbage time.)

just not good enough, to me at least, so far anyway.

I understand protecting the ball and limiting your risks to better your chances, but you cant go without taking any risks.

Cassel doesn't have any faith in his arm to throw the ball past 10 yards on a constant basis.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Cassel doesn't have any faith in his arm to throw the ball past 10 yards on a constant basis.

That's a load of fucking shit.

We have no receivers who can get open down the field.

Tribal Warfare
10-05-2009, 12:11 AM
That's a load of fucking shit.

Watch the fucking tape, he checksdown constantly because of his wariness to throw the football beyond 10 yards. He depends on the WRs for YAC too many times. He doesn't put his WRs in a good position to produce, but he's making it a uphill task to succeed when passing 5 yard checks to get the 1st on a 3rd a 8 ect....

Hammock Parties
10-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Watch the fucking tape, he checksdown constantly because of his wariness to throw the football beyond 10 yards.

Unless you have access to fucking coach's tape you can't say for certain whether receivers are open down the field.

Considering our receivers are a bunch of slow pricks, I fault them more than Cassel for not getting the ball down the field.

Tribal Warfare
10-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Unless you have access to fucking coach's tape you can't say for certain whether receivers are open down the field.

Considering our receivers are a bunch of slow pricks, I fault them more than Cassel for not getting the ball down the field.

the backfield cam showed when he was going through progressions there were players open to throw it to beyond 10 but he immediately gave up on it for the checkdown.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-05-2009, 12:18 AM
GIF UP or shut up.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2009, 12:19 AM
the backfield cam showed when he was going through progressions there were players open to throw it to beyond 10 but he immediately gave up on it for the checkdown.

What a load of shit.

Tribal Warfare
10-05-2009, 12:21 AM
What a load of shit.

Call it what you want but it's the truth that Cassel just doesn't have faith in his ability in hitting long throws.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Call it what you want but it's the truth that Cassel just doesn't have faith in his ability in hitting long throws.

That explains the goddamn laser he threw to Ryan.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-05-2009, 12:23 AM
What a load of shit.

Were you at the fucking game?! Because you're operating on supposition, conjecture, and Homerism at this point.

Tribal Warfare
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
That explains the goddamn laser he threw to Ryan.

not arm strength, but hitting the WR on said plays. How many times did he opt for the dump off instead of looking downfield? It was a shitload.

Mecca
10-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Of course he checks the ball off, he has very inconsistent accuracy down the field and he basically made his bones in NE throwing dump passes to WR's that made plays, NE lead the league in YAC last year.

Mecca
10-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Another question is on how many slants or really short throws in general is Cassel just off with his throw?

There have been a ton of throws where he's hit the WR in the back shoulder or been behind him and it's either been incomplete or the guy had to make a great catch on what should have been an easy completion.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
The guy needs time to grill a fucking hot dog and peruse the Sunday paper back there.

BossChief
10-05-2009, 12:40 AM
That's a load of ****ing shit.

Its not crap man, if you would take a step back for a second and try to be objective and not defensive in reguards to Cassel, you might see things that are obvious to more and more people.

You have a good football iq, dont let the homer in you cloud reality.

The man overthrew almost every single deep ball he threw last year. The splits can tell you that. That trend has continued this year. He has fired deep and overthrew his target nearly every time.

With the turnover differential being paramount to a team with deficiancies, such as ours, winning, Im sure it is beat into his head not to make mistakes and that sacks and throw aways are better than picks and it seems to have made him somewhat gunshy, so far at least.

This was exactly the case last year when he was instructed to take sacks to teach him to keep his eyes downfield instead of on the pressure because he had trouble with taking his eyes off his recievers if his first two reads were covered, as he got better his sacks decreased. Collinsworth said this over and over when they played tge games on nfln replay. That is why he took most of his sacks at the begining of the year and almost none toward the end, greatly reduced anyway...(except for the Pittsburg game)

Ill tell you something, if teams dont respect his ability to throw deep, they will move closer and closer to the line to stop the short to intermediate throws and that allows more exotic blitz disguising among other things. Safeties WILL play heavy over in deep coverage to play the overthrow and be successfull at it. WE MUST stretch the field occasionally if we are to have a shot at a long term balanced attack.

These recievers are every bit as good if not better than any wr corps Trent had and he threw for 4000 yards routinely and I cant remember him ever throwing for only 100 yards in consecutive games. Hell Grbac was a more effective passer with lesser talent.

Do I think better oline play would make him better? Of course! Would better recievers help him? Yes! Should he need those to show us anything? NO!

Cassel=fail, so far

Mecca
10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
No one fears getting beat deep by the Chiefs WR's man.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Damn BC, I didn't see THAT coming.

BossChief
10-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Cassel really let me down today.

The better half of their secondary was missing (Ross was out and Phillips to ir) and our oline protected him much better than expected and he didnt produce anything.

63 million is alot of dough for Thigpen production.

Its not only that he didnt produce, he could have easily had two interceptions today as well.

The pass to Vrabel should have been intercepted by at least tgree different defenders.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM
The man overthrew almost every single deep ball he threw last year. The splits can tell you that.

This is what comes of looking at stats and not watching games. Moss dropped several deep balls, Gaffney dropped a deep ball, it wasn't all Cassel's fault.

These recievers are every bit as good if not better than any wr corps Trent had

Utter fucking bullshit. None of these receivers can get separation like Eddie Kennison routinely did, and no one comes CLOSE to Tony Gonzalez. Hell, this team could use Johnnie Morton.

Today our "#1" Dwayne Bowe couldn't even catch the ball.

Maybe we could get Thigpen back, though. I'm sure you fuckers would love that.

Mecca
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM
In fairness Corey Webster is the Giants best CB so it's not like they were without the best one.

Mecca
10-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Bowe might catch one of those slants if they weren't constantly on his back hip or back shoulder.

BossChief
10-05-2009, 01:01 AM
No one fears getting beat deep by the Chiefs WR's man.

Ill be scratching my head all year as to how we cut Lelie and kept Copper.

I cant see it.

Maybe Haley just couldnt verbally destroy a man na.ed Ashley without at least cracking a smile or outright laughing.

reminds me of Jonnie Cashes "boy named sue"