PDA

View Full Version : Football Question about making a player a franchise player

luv
10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
What exactly is involved in making someone a franchise player?

Deberg_1990
10-04-2009, 07:47 PM
If your Sanchez or Curry, your born a franchise player.

Smed1065
10-04-2009, 07:47 PM
LOL

luv
10-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, I understand that talent is involved. How does a team make a franchise player THEIR franchise player?

DaFace
10-04-2009, 07:50 PM
What exactly is involved in making someone a franchise player?

Are you talking about a general idea of having someone be a franchise player or the "franchise tag" that teams can use to restrict a free-agent's options?

luv
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Are you talking about a general idea of having someone be a franchise player or the "franchise tag" that teams can use to restrict a free-agent's options?

The latter. I figured I wasn't asking the right question.

milkman
10-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Essentially they simply inform the league office that player X will be designated with their franchise tag.

DaFace
10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
The latter. I figured I wasn't asking the right question.

Gotcha. I'll just link to this wiki article that explains it reasonably well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

luv
10-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Essentially they simply inform the league office that player X will be designated with their franchise tag.

What does that mean? What can happen or not happen? Are they guaranteed a higher salary? Can they not get traded?

milkman
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
What does that mean? What can happen or not happen? Are they guaranteed a higher salary? Can they not get traded?

I'm going to assume that DF's link had the answers you were looking for.

Let us know if there are any other questions.

We're here to help.

luv
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Gotcha. I'll just link to this wiki article that explains it reasonably well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Thanks. There's apparently still a lot I need to learn. I'll do my research. Thank you for giving me a starting point.

luv
10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm going to assume that DF's link had the answers you were looking for.

Let us know if there are any other questions.

We're here to help.

Nah. I'll just get examples of people typing my questions into Google. I can do that on my own. I just figured this might be a good place to start.

LaChapelle
10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Depending on what team your on, let 'em put it in your butt.

Mr. Laz
10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
A franchise player is really only a 1 season label for when an important player comes up for free agency.

it's just basically leverage for the team to keep the player

it means a free agent can't talk to another team without permission from the team and if they do the team can match the offer and/or let the player go for Draft pick compensation.

milkman
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Nah. I'll just get examples of people typing my questions into Google. I can do that on my own. I just figured this might be a good place to start.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but really, if you have a question that wasn't answered, I am more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Quesadilla Joe
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
If you can't come to a contract extension before free agency, a franchise tag keeps that player on your team for one year with a salary that equals the average of the top 5 highest paid players at their position.... and ALL of that money is guaranteed.

You can only franchise a player two times, after that they can hit the free agent market and their is nothing you can do about it if you can't get a long term contract worked out.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:06 PM
If you can't come to a contract extension before free agency, a franchise tag keeps that player on your team for one year with a salary that equals the average of the top 5 highest paid players at their position.... and ALL of that money is guaranteed.

You can only franchise a player two times, after that they can hit the free agent market and their is nothing you can do about it if you can't get a long term contract worked out.

Thank you! I read that wiki page and got a little lost. I was ready to look up every word they had linked in blue. Your explanation makes sense to me, as I was thinking salary was involved.

Hearing people talk about a franchise QB had me thinking it meant something else.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure what you are saying here, but really, if you have a question that wasn't answered, I am more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

You're awesome, milkman. I just don't think I could have asked the right questions in order to get across what it was I didn't understand.

DaFace
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Thank you! I read that wiki page and got a little lost. I was ready to look up every word they had linked in blue. Your explanation makes sense to me, as I was thinking salary was involved.

Hearing people talk about a franchise QB had me thinking it meant something else.

Na, the general term "franchise" has a much broader context. Generally, when people refer to a "franchise QB," they're simply referring to a player that they will be building their "franchise" around. As in, a key player that will be a centerpoint around your strategy for building the team.

The "franchise tag" is a specific contractual concept that refers to a way the team can "tag" such a central player so that they can't go elsewhere during free agency.

milkman
10-04-2009, 08:16 PM
A franchise player is really only a 1 season label for when an important player comes up for free agency.

it's just basically leverage for the team to keep the player

it means a free agent can't talk to another team without permission from the team and if they do the team can match the offer and/or let the player go for Draft pick compensation.

Actually, there are two levels of franchise tags.

The one you describe is an "Exclusive Rights Franchise" label.

A "Non Exclusive Franchise" player is allowed to talk to other teams.
His previous team can match any offer, or receive two first round picks as compensation.

luv
10-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Na, the general term "franchise" has a much broader context. Generally, when people refer to a "franchise QB," they're simply referring to a player that they will be building their "franchise" around. As in, a key player that will be a centerpoint around your strategy for building the team.

The "franchise tag" is a specific contractual concept that refers to a way the team can "tag" such a central player so that they can't go elsewhere during free agency.

Actually, there are two levels of franchise tags.

The one you describe is an "Exclusive Rights Franchise" label.

A "Non Exclusive Franchise" player is allowed to talk to other teams.
His previous team can match any offer, or receive two first round picks as compensation.

Yay! I was hoping that, by attempting to start a conversation about it, I'd learn things that I wouldn't even think to look up. You guys rock!