PDA

View Full Version : Misc Flying Southwest

luv
10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I've never flown Southwest before. Is their boarding procedure different? Like a first come first serve? Just trying to get an idea what to expect.

KCUnited
10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Get online 24 hours before your flight so you are in the first boarding group.

El Chapo
10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
They have four separate boarding groups I believe.

Reaper16
10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I've never had any negative experiences with Southwest, unless Chicago Midway counts as a negative experience.

They have multiple boarding groups, assigned by letter (A, B, C, etc). These are first come-first serve, kind of. If you print out your boarding pass a day before the flight you'll get in on A group. Wait until you get to the airport and you'll be boarding later.

Halfcan
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
make sure you wear clean socks with no holes in them

luv
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I signed up for some early bird check in thing.

OnTheWarpath15
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I've never flown Southwest before. Is their boarding procedure different? Like a first come first serve? Just trying to get an idea what to expect.

Go to their website and check in for your flight exactly 24 hours before departure - you can print your boarding pass from home.

They have 4 different categories.

Business select, which boards first.

A group, numbers 1-60 board next.

B group, 1-60.

Then C group, 1-60.

Make sure you're in the A group.

Coach
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Go to their website and check in for your flight exactly 24 hours before departure - you can print your boarding pass from home.

B group, 1-60.

Then C group, 1-60.

This.

dirk digler
10-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I never fly anymore on SW since I am on the watch list. I don't like the stupid cattle call that they use anyway.:harumph:

luv
10-05-2009, 08:26 PM

B group, 1-60.

Then C group, 1-60.

My flight is at 7AM Monday morning. I was planning on leaving Joe's to meet you at that time. I'll see if I can get it printed out, and then leave to meet you to head to the stadium.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Flew it twice yesterday. Geniouses lost about 12 bags on one flight, including one of my friend's.

El Chapo
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Flew it twice yesterday. Geniouses lost about 12 bags on one flight, including one of my friend's.

After you walked off the plane, I bet they sprayed down your seat for at least five minutes to get your filth off it.

Reaper16
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
After you walked off the plane, I bet they sprayed down your seat for at least five minutes to get your filth off it.
Says the poster whose avatar consists of 100% stinky things.

Coach
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Did they lose yours?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Did they lose yours?

I don't check bags for trips of less than 5 days.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2009, 08:34 PM

I hope so. I had a hangover from a 3 day bender, terrible beer farts, and I hadn't showered.

ziggysocki
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Says the poster whose avatar consists of 100% stinky things.
Weed, Stinky... CHECK
Marlboro Red Smokes, Stinky... CHECK
Wild Turkey, Stinky... CHECK
Racist Confederate Flag, Stinky... CHECK
Olympia Beer, Stinky... CHECK
KC Chiefs............Stinky..........Ok, CHECK....

You win reaper... 100% Your math checks out.

OnTheWarpath15
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
My flight is at 7AM Monday morning. I was planning on leaving Joe's to meet you at that time. I'll see if I can get it printed out, and then leave to meet you to head to the stadium.

You can also check in on your phone, and not print out the boarding pass.

Then when you get to the airport on Monday morning, go to a kiosk and print it.

Dartgod
10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I signed up for some early bird check in thing.
If you have access to a computer 24 hours prior to your flight, the early bird is not necessary.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
What does it cost to fly from Springfield to KC?

luv
10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
You can also check in on your phone, and not print out the boarding pass.

Then when you get to the airport on Monday morning, go to a kiosk and print it.

Ah. I think I'll do that. I'm stayng Sunday night at Joe's. I wonder if I could print them then, if he didn't mind me borrowing his printer that is. Either way, that works.

ziggysocki
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing... wouldnt it just be easier to drive the 4 hrs to St Joe instead of f'ing around in airports and such?

luv
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM

I didn't look. I knew I'd be up near KC anyway, and I like the idea of no layovers. I'll just be shelling out a little more for parking, where I'd have a ride to and from in Springfield, but oh well.

luv
10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing... wouldnt it just be easier to drive the 4 hrs to St Joe instead of f'ing around in airports and such?

You lost me. I'm driving up to St Joe for the bash that weekend, so I'll already be near KC. The only added exense of parking shouldn't cost me more than $20. I know I can't fly from Springfield to KC for that.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2009, 09:09 PM
You lost me. I'm driving up to St Joe for the bash that weekend, so I'll already be near KC. The only added exense of parking shouldn't cost me more than $20. I know I can't fly from Springfield to KC for that.Ok, now I'm lost...LMAO

stlchiefs
10-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Southwest is interesting. Everyone flies nude. Actually it's interesting because anymore they advise you to show up naked at the terminal to make it easier to go through the TSA checkpoint. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bearcat
10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
You lost me. I'm driving up to St Joe for the bash that weekend, so I'll already be near KC. The only added exense of parking shouldn't cost me more than $20. I know I can't fly from Springfield to KC for that.

I don't think everyone knows where you're going besides the bash. ;)

CaliforniaChief
10-05-2009, 09:12 PM

At least they lost their bags for free.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't think everyone knows where you're going besides the bash. ;)This. I just assumed she was flying up to KC for the game and Bash.

luv
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't think everyone knows where you're going besides the bash. ;)

Ah.

Well, for those who don't know, I'm going to Vegas on Monday.

:D

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Ah.

Well, for those who don't know, I'm going to Vegas on Monday.

:DOh. Ok. I recall reading something about that now. :thumb: Have fun!

ziggysocki
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
This. I just assumed she was flying up to KC for the game and Bash.

Same here... my bad.

JD10367
10-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Southwest is still general seating, but the boarding process is no longer first-come first-served. They now assign places in line. Their lines have placards, broken up into five-person spaces, so you will have a place to stand.

Sandyskc
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
It is no longer a cattle call. You are assigned a group and number when you check in (this is why you need to check in 24 hours before). You then board in that order.

Have a great trip!

Donger
10-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd rather drive than fly Southwest.

gblowfish
10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I haven't flown for years. Definitely the last time I did was pre 9/11, so I haven't had to put up with the foolishness.

Southwest always seemed to me like the Greyhound Bus of the sky. I'd rather pay a few more bucks and have a better experience.

vailpass
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM

This X 100
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Last year I flew Southwest Round Trip to Denver (and I'm doing the same this year).

On the way their I got in the B group, which meant that a lot of seats were taken, but me and my buddy still got to sit next to eachother.

On the way back, I didn't get to go online 24 hours in advance because I was at the Chargers/Broncos game, so by the time I printed my pass, I was in the C group and there weren't 2 seats anywhere next to eachother.

JD10367
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know why people are knocking Southwest. Their seats are a lot more comfortable than the other cattle-car airlines', and there's more legroom too.

Having said that, Southwest is no longer a cheap airline. At first, they were consistently lower-priced. Now? The same New England-to-Florida routes that I can get for $225-275 elsewhere are literally close to $400 on Southwest.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't know why people are knocking Southwest. Their seats are a lot more comfortable than the other cattle-car airlines', and there's more legroom too.
I don't get it either. Most of the people bashing them have probably never flown them.

At least on Southwest, I can choose not to sit next to the screaming baby as I'm boarding. With preassigned seating, you may not have that choice.

Buck
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Having said that, Southwest is no longer a cheap airline. At first, they were consistently lower-priced. Now? The same New England-to-Florida routes that I can get for $225-275 elsewhere are literally close to $400 on Southwest.

Really?

SD to Denver (roundtrip) $168 total after taxes and fees.

Spokane Chief Fan
10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
The early bird thing you paid $10 for automatically checks you in 36 hours in advance.
You just print your boarding pass at the airport.

Just got back from Phoenix and it worked great for me.

Rain Man
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I haven't flown for years. Definitely the last time I did was pre 9/11, so I haven't had to put up with the foolishness.

Southwest always seemed to me like the Greyhound Bus of the sky. I'd rather pay a few more bucks and have a better experience.

I'm not sure the word "better experience" applies to any airline nowadays. "Less hellish", perhaps. Maybe "lower level of dehumanization". Possibly "slightly lower level of degradation and discomfort".

bevischief
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM

This.

Great Expectations
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Allegiant air from SGF to Vegas is the cheapest and best way to go from SWMO.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I'd love to hear some specific problems that SWA haters have encountered.

ChiTown
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Domestically, I fly SWA all the time. Love them.

I am usually on a SWA plane every other week.

Buck
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Im not a Southwest Hater,

But the last flight I had with them, I experienced the worst Turbulence of my life. The plane literally dropped at least 20 feet all of the sudden one time.

Scariest shit ever.

broncoholic
10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Got it all wrong. You want to be in the B group. The A group races down and gets the windows. Now you have to sit and wait for some big fat guy to sit next to you. If your are in B or C you get to pick who you sit next to.

beach tribe
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
All I can add to this is that I fly A LOT I have flown all over the world. Southwest is fine, but don't EVER EVER EVER fly on Delta airlines. I've had some sort of problem with every airline at some point, but if you DO have a problem with Delta prepare for the worst customer service of any company in any field in the history of customer service.
I often have to change my flight plans. Look up the number for reservation changes with Delta, and call it. You will NEVER get through. I found a way to get a hold of them a different way, and when you do get through to them, they are shocked. The number you have to call is the one for lost baggage, and then tell them you want to change you reservation. Both of their customer service numbers are actually fake I think. It's just a busy signal. Look up some of their reviews on line. Every person I talked to was a complete as hole. I needed to get a flight to Nagasaki very fast, and asked the woman in ticketing, and she said we don't service that area, in a bitchy voice. I looked it up on orbitz and sure enough there was a flight to there with Delta. I told the manager that the woman blew me off, and she said, with a disgusted face, and I quote" So?..What do you want me to do about it?"
I was like OMG really? EVERY person i talked to was like that, and no I was not being an asshole. I never raise my voice, or act like a dick to these people.
DON'T DO Delta.
Southwest is a good airline.

ChiTown
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM

But the last flight I had with them, I experienced the worst Turbulence of my life. The plane literally dropped at least 20 feet all of the sudden one time.

Scariest shit ever.

20'?
ROFL

You don't fly much, do ya? :D

beach tribe
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Scariest shit ever.

Hah. We hit turbulence one time, and this lady floated up in the air, and landed about 5 feet away in the middle of a row of seats full of people. I could not help but bust out laughing, and everyone gave me the dirtiest look I've ever seen.
She should have been in her seat with her belt on. Thats why they told us to buckle up. She was not hurt BTW.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Scariest shit ever.
The atmospheric conditions were clearly Southwest's fault that day

beach tribe
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Got it all wrong. You want to be in the B group. The A group races down and gets the windows. Now you have to sit and wait for some big fat guy to sit next to you. If your are in B or C you get to pick who you sit next to.

I always just wait till the end to go on anyway.

And I'll never understand why they don't seat all of the people in the back of the plane first and move up the line. It would be a hell of a lot easier. Airlines don't really display a lot of smarts though.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
All I can add to this is that I fly A LOT I have flown all over the world. Southwest is fine, but don't EVER EVER EVER fly on Delta airlines. I've had some sort of problem with every airline at some point, but if you DO have a problem with Delta prepare for the worst customer service of any company in any field in the history of customer service.
I often have to change my flight plans. Look up the number for reservation changes with Delta, and call it. You will NEVER get through. I found a way to get a hold of them a different way, and when you do get through to them, they are shocked. The number you have to call is the one for lost baggage, and then tell them you want to change you reservation. Both of their customer service numbers are actually fake I think. It's just a busy signal. Look up some of their reviews on line. Every person I talked to was a complete as hole. I needed to get a flight to Nagasaki very fast, and asked the woman in ticketing, and she said we don't service that area, in a bitchy voice. I looked it up on orbitz and sure enough there was a flight to there with Delta. I told the manager that the woman blew me off, and she said, with a disgusted face, and I quote" So?..What do you want me to do about it?"
I was like OMG really? EVERY person i talked to was like that, and no I was not being an asshole. I never raise my voice, or act like a dick to these people.
DON'T DO Delta.

Ill 2nd this. Ive had bad experiences with alot of different airlines, but Delta is the worst.

Buck
10-06-2009, 01:39 PM
20'?
ROFL

You don't fly much, do ya? :D

Nope, not that much. Everyone on the plane was cringing when it kept dropping, it was pretty scary. Not sure if 20' is low, but I've flown probably 10 - 15 times in my life and this was by far the worst. It may have been more than 20', I was just throwing a # out there.

The atmospheric conditions were clearly Southwest's fault that day

Nope not at all, I was just telling an anecdote.

Donger
10-06-2009, 01:46 PM

Unless things have changed, SWA does not have a premiere service (priority boarding, premiere line through security, perks on-board, etc.).

Do they?

Bearcat
10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
DON'T DO Delta.

I've heard this a lot, but I don't have much choice with work, because the cheapest airfare wins. I've flown to/from Atlanta a few times and to Paris and back with Delta, and based on the stories I've heard I'm glad I've never had to use their customer service.

I like Northwest and their customer service wasn't bad when I used it, so maybe that's something they'll work with once they're completely merged.

KC Dan
10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Unless things have changed, SWA does not have a premiere service (priority boarding, premiere line through security, perks on-board, etc.).

Do they?The first two items you listed - yes. The last one - no.

Donger
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
The first two items you listed - yes. The last one - no.

Yeah, I was just reading about it. Started this August?

Guaranteed to be in the A group? Meh.

Very few airports have premiere lines for both check-in and security. Double meh.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Do they?
So you have never had a specific issue with poor customer service or flight cancellation or other inconveniences. You just don't like them because they don't have some of the perks of higher cost airlines. Is this correct? Have you ever flown Southwest?

Donger
10-06-2009, 01:55 PM
So you have never had a specific issue with poor customer service or flight cancellation or other inconveniences. You just don't like them because they don't have some of the perks of higher cost airlines. Is this correct? Have you ever flown Southwest?

I haven't flown SWA since leaving KC, no. I don't recall any specific annoyances, other than it being akin to a cattle car. And, other low-cost airlines do have those perks.

Now, I did fly Vanguard Airlines about a dozen times. That was just, plain scary.

Mojo Jojo
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM

Do they?

Yes they do. And you do get perks on-board...the best FREE DRINKS, not just juice and soda.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I haven't flown SWA since leaving KC, no. I don't recall any specific annoyances, other than it being akin to a cattle car. And, other low-cost airlines do have those perks.

Now, I did fly Vanguard Airlines about a dozen times. That was just, plain scary.
They still do not have assigned seating, but as others have said, their boarding process has changed so people are not lining up to board an hour or more beforehand.

I still don't understand what is so bad about them that would make you want to drive over flying.

I've flown SW many, many times and will always be my first choice when flying.

dirk digler
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't get it either. Most of the people bashing them have probably never flown them.

At least on Southwest, I can choose not to sit next to the screaming baby as I'm boarding. With preassigned seating, you may not have that choice.

I have flown SW alot and if I am flying alone or maybe with one other person I don't mind the A,B,C crap but when I take the kids it sucks because we always end up in C because I am on the watch list so I can't check in early.

I also used to love SW because they were alot cheaper than the rest but they aren't anymore except when you are going to Vegas.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes they do. And you do get perks on-board...the best FREE DRINKS, not just juice and soda.

Where?

* When you qualify for our A-List membership, you will automatically be added to Rapid Rewards’ A-List and receive an A-List Membership card. We will also notify you by e-mail (if an Account E-mail Address is designated on your account) or by postcard.

* A-List qualification is based on actual revenue flights flown, not Rapid Rewards credits earned.

* Once you qualify for Rapid Rewards’ A-List, you are entitled to reserved boarding privileges for 12 months, which means that Southwest Airlines will automatically reserve a boarding pass for you 36 hours prior to each of your confirmed Southwest Airlines flights to ensure you will receive the best available boarding pass prior to the start of regular checkin.

* For a Member with Rapid Rewards’ A-List membership to receive reserved boarding privileges, the Member must include his/her Rapid Rewards account number in his/her reservation at least 36 hours prior to your flight time. Reserved boarding privileges will be provided for A-List Members for both revenue and Rapid Rewards Award travel on Southwest Airlines-operated flights as long as the above requirement is met.

* Southwest Airlines will “reserve” boarding passes for A-List Members, but Members will still be responsible for “printing” their boarding pass starting 24 hours prior to flight time. Passengers who do not obtain a boarding pass and are not present and available for boarding in the departure gate area at least ten minutes prior to scheduled departure time may have their reserved space cancelled and will not be eligible for denied boarding compensation.

* All qualifying A-List Members have access to Fly By priority checkin and priority security lanes where available. You must present your A-List Membership card to access Fly By lanes.

* All Rapid Rewards A-List Membership Rules and Regulations apply.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Do'h! I forgot I have several free drink coupons from SWA. We forgot to take them on our recent Vegas trip. :cuss:

dirk digler
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
DON'T DO Delta.

We flew to Hawaii on Delta\NW and it was probably the smoothest and best flight I have ever had.

I had a training in SF and we flew back on American and they charge for every little thing except for drinks. If you wanted snacks it cost $5

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM
They still do not have assigned seating, but as others have said, their boarding process has changed so people are not lining up to board an hour or more beforehand.

I still don't understand what is so bad about them that would make you want to drive over flying.

I've flown SW many, many times and will always be my first choice when flying.

The no assigned seating and very limited access to both check-in and security lines seals it for me. Sorry. I'll fly with whatever airline gets me from home to destination and back again as quickly as possible. Throw in the other perks I get, and it's a no-brainer for me.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
The no assigned seating and very limited access to both check-in and security lines seals it for me. Sorry. I'll fly with whatever airline gets me from home to destination and back again as quickly as possible. Throw in the other perks I get, and it's a no-brainer for me.
Fair enough. But if your only two choices were flying Southwest or driving, then I would think that flying would certainly get you "from home to destination and back again as quickly as possible" rather than driving.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Fair enough. But if your only two choices were flying Southwest or driving, then I would think that flying would certainly get you "from home to destination and back again as quickly as possible" rather than driving.

Those aren't my only two choices, thankfully.

dirk digler
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM

I am so tired of flying we are thinking about driving to DC next year.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Those aren't my only two choices, thankfully.
They were earlier in this thread. :shrug:

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
:shrug:

Right.

Choice 1 = Drive

Choice 2 = Fly SWA

Like I said, I have more choices than that, thankfully.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Oh, you're one of THOSE guys... everything is an inconvenience. Jesus. I fly ALOT. I've flown every airline there is and SW is far better than many of the other full-fare airlines that offer "perks." If it's an international flight it's a different story, but domestically, who gives a shit? Get me to where I want to go, on time, period.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Right.

Choice 1 = Drive

Choice 2 = Fly SWA

Like I said, I have more choices than that, thankfully.
So you are standing by your original statement? You would rather drive, adding several hours to your travel time, than fly Southwest?

Jesus...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Ill 2nd this. Ive had bad experiences with alot of different airlines, but Delta is the worst.

I'd rather be the recipient of a Donkey Show in Tijuana than fly that fucking piece of shit airline again.

Bearcat
10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
LMAO

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh, you're one of THOSE guys... everything is an inconvenience. Jesus. I fly ALOT. I've flown every airline there is and SW is far better than many of the other full-fare airlines that offer "perks." If it's an international flight that's a different story, but domestically, who gives a shit? Get me to where I want to go, on time, period.

If one of those guys equals:

1) Not having to stand in line for a boarding pass (if I don't have time to check-in online)? Check.

2) Going through the premiere security line when the normal line is an hour long? Check.

2.5) Boarding the plane first, so I get guaranteed overhead space? Check.

3) Getting my usual seat assigned? Check.

4) Free TV and drinks? Check.

5) Priority checked bags (when I have to check bags, that is)? Check.

6) No-charge same day flight changes? Check.

Yes, I'm one of those guys.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
So you are standing by your original statement? You would rather drive, adding several hours to your travel time, than fly Southwest?

Jesus...

If those were my only two options? Yes, but I suppose it would depend on the distance.

L.A. Chieffan
10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
why do people want to be the first ones on the plane, i dont get it

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM

For me, so that:

1) I don't have to deal with all the idiots huddling around the gate.

2) Guaranteed overhead space.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
If one of those guys equals:

1) Not having to stand in line for a boarding pass (if I don't have time to check-in online)? Check.

2) Going through the premiere security line when the normal line is an hour long? Check.

2.5) Boarding the plane first, so I get guaranteed overhead space? Check.

3) Getting my usual seat assigned? Check.

4) Free TV and drinks? Check.

5) Priority checked bags (when I have to check bags, that is)? Check.

6) No-charge same day flight changes? Check.

Yes, I'm one of those guys.

What you describe is a complete and utter waste of money. Whether one has the money to spend or not, it's a fucking plane ride. Get over yourself.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
What you describe is a complete and utter waste of money. Whether one has the money to spend or not, it's a ****ing plane ride. Get over yourself.

Waste of money? What do you mean?

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
If those were my only two options? Yes, but I suppose it would depend on the distance.
Thanks.

L.A. Chieffan
10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
For me, so that:

1) I don't have to deal with all the idiots huddling around the gate.

2) Guaranteed overhead space.

1) If you wait in the comfy chairs in the lounge area and take your time until the last boarding call is made there is no cluster of idiots around the gate. Plus its just less time you have to sit and wait in the stuffy plane for everybody to get in and sit down.

2) Ive never been on a plane with NO overhead space. Even planes with no room left and everyone had like two things. Are you bringing on like 43 bags or something?

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Waste of money? What do you mean?

You're paying for every little detail.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
What you describe is a complete and utter waste of money. Whether one has the money to spend or not, it's a ****ing plane ride. Get over yourself.
Why does this piss you off so much? It's his money. ROFL

I understand his preferences for more perks. That's what he's looking for when he spends his money. Myself, I see more value in Southwest. That's why both business models are available.

My biggest issue was a blanket statement like he provided earlier without explanation. Now that he has explained his reasons, I'm good with it.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
1) If you wait in the comfy chairs in the lounge area and take your time until the last boarding call is made there is no cluster of idiots around the gate. Plus its just less time you have to sit and wait in the stuffy plane for everybody to get in and sit down.

2) Ive never been on a plane with NO overhead space. Even planes with no room left and everyone had like two things. Are you bringing on like 43 bags or something?

I simply prefer to get on board, get settled and work until door close. It's a perk to me.

I flew SWA from MCI to Ohio dozens of times back in the day where I got on board and there was no overhead space. Instant gate check. And, no, just my briefcase and one piece of luggage.

CaliforniaChief
10-06-2009, 02:31 PM

The overhead space is a big deal now that most airlines are charging check-in fees. I took a flight from LAX to Minneapolis where 14 of us had to gate-check our bags because they ran out of room in the overhead compartment. AND of course, the flight attendant failed to check my bag to my actual final destination.

Now with SWA not charging bag fees, that might not be such a big deal.

We all have quirks about flying.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:32 PM

No, I'm really not. I've compared prices between my airline and SWA. They are almost identical (not surprisingly).

ChiTown
10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
No, I'm really not. I've compared prices between my airline and SWA. They are almost identical (not surprisingly).

which airline is that?

CaliforniaChief
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM

BTW, Southwest was largely able to keep it's fares lower because they speculated on fuel before the price went way up. I also believe that not issuing boarding passes saved them money as well, so that they could avoid getting stuck with a flight without a compatible plane. SWA flies all 737's don't they?

L.A. Chieffan
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
it just seems odd to WANT to go sit and wait in a hot stuffy area instead of waiting until the last minute to get on.

blaise
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

I never got that either. Let me get on the cramped plane with a bunch of fat people and sit.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
which airline is that?

Frontier.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
it just seems odd to WANT to go sit and wait in a hot stuffy area instead of waiting until the last minute to get on.

I find the aircraft a more pleasant place than the gate.

CaliforniaChief
10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I never got that either. Let me get on the cramped plane with a bunch of fat people and sit.

You are in the minority. It amazes me how the moment people see an airline employee even feign an announcement there's a bull rush to the gate. A lot of it is probably anxiety about getting the overhead compartment for the growing number of carry-ons...also personal quirks people have.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Why does this piss you off so much? It's his money. ROFL

I understand his preferences for more perks. That's what he's looking for when he spends his money. Myself, I see more value in Southwest. That's why both business models are available.

My biggest issue was a blanket statement like he provided earlier without explanation. Now that he has explained his reasons, I'm good with it.

My point is that the airlines that offer those "perks" have very poor domestic flight service. They don't care about domestic flights, they make their money internationally. Southwest buries those carriers in on-time service. If he wants to spend his money that way that's fine, but a domestic 1st class upgrade can be had for about $100 on airlines that offer it. Buying a 1st class ticket up front is stupid, but then again US Airways offers 1st class service. What a joke.

ChiTown
10-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Frontier.

Frontier? Hmm, I have only flown them a couple of times in my life. I wouldn't have guessed they possessed all the perks you were looking for. Good to know......

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Frontier.

They're bankrupt and out of business. They were bought by a holding company that also owns another airline.

Bearcat
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Yeah, it's funny to watch people fumble around for their tickets and huddle around when they say "we'll be boarding soon," and then stand there for 20 minutes until their section is called. If it's a long flight, or I just got off a long flight, I'll stand around just to stretch, but I'll wander around the other gates and not worry about getting on the plane as soon as I possibly can. And yeah, I hardly ever use overhead space, but I've never seen a plane run out.

CaliforniaChief
Frontier? Hmm, I have only flown them a couple of times in my life. I wouldn't have guessed they possessed all the perks you were looking for. Good to know......

They paint their planes. Wolves, Bears, Tigers, Owls, the works. That's a perk.

Donger

They don't, for the commoners.

Actually, they have some different ticket that you can buy that get's you priority boarding, free TV and drinks, but I don't think it gets you through premiere security.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
They're bankrupt and out of business. They were bought by a holding company that also owns another airline.

That's odd. I flew with them last week. Not bad for being out of business.

Anyway, they were bought by Republic and will continue operation as Frontier. Thankfully, SWA's bid failed.

blaise
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it's funny to watch people fumble around for their tickets and huddle around when they say "we'll be boarding soon," and then stand there for 20 minutes until their section is called. If it's a long flight, or I just got off a long flight, I'll stand around just to stretch, but I'll wander around the other gates and not worry about getting on the plane as soon as I possibly can. And yeah, I hardly ever use overhead space, but I've never seen a plane run out.

And then when the plane lands those are the same people that stand up the second the seat belt light goes off, get all their bags from the overhead, and then stand there leaning over you even though all 16 rows in front of them have to depart before they can. Sit the hell down.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
And then when the plane lands those are the same people that stand up the second the seat belt light goes off, get all their bags from the overhead, and then stand there leaning over you even though all 16 rows in front of them have to depart before they can. Sit the hell down.

Yep, another Frontier perk. I'm almost always in 2A or 2F. Never farther back than row 4.

vailpass
10-06-2009, 02:42 PM

You have no clue.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
That's odd. I flew with them last week. Not bad for being out of business.

Anyway, they were bought by Republic and will continue operation as Frontier. Thankfully, SWA's bid failed.

Republic/Frontier is owned by bankers. They bought Frontier's limited routes. No one buys an airline, they buy their planes and gates. And comparing Frontier to Southwest is comparing apples to green beans.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
You have no clue.

Dude, I've worked in this industry for 25 years. Go ahead, tell me all about it!

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Republic/Frontier is owned by bankers. They bought Frontier's limited routes. No one buys an airline, they buy their planes and gates.

And they are still flying as Frontier and claim they will continue to do so. I'm friendly with a few of the pilots, and they say the same.

And comparing Frontier to Southwest is comparing apples to green beans.

I agree. Frontier seems to be far superior.

vailpass
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Dude, I've worked in this industry for 25 years. Tell me all about it!

Throwing bags has apparently not put you in touch with the business man.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Dude, I've worked in this industry for 25 years. Tell me all about it!

You've worked in the airline industry for 25 years and you didn't know that Frontier was not out of business?

vailpass
You've worked in the airline industry for 25 years and you didn't know that Frontier was not out of business?

News hits the ramp last.

Stewie

They are out of business. Can you buy an RCA TV?

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
News hits the ramp last.

Nice comeback, Potsy. I see you have no answer. Tell me, again, how these airlines work? You have all the answers, right?

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:51 PM
They are out of business. Can you buy an RCA TV?

No, because I think RCA is no longer in business.

I can, however, book and fly on Frontier. I did last week and will again next week. That's because they are still in business.

Bearcat
10-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Yep. LMAO

I hate how long that takes though... I hear people endlessly complain about airports and security and whatever, but once we're there I just want to GTF off the plane, and I'm kind of impatient about it.... and it always seems like those in the first few rows are the ones who take 4 days getting their sh*t together while it's the ones in the back who are up and packed up 10 seconds after the wheels hit the runway.

I've also noticed that a lot of people who huddle don't have window seats, so they'll be the first in their section to board because they have to get on this plane right now, and a lot of times they'll even have their seat buckled by the time I walk up and politely ask them to GTF out of my way so I can enjoy my window seat.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh, I forgot another perk: one of the youngest fleets in the country. It's rare that you fly on a aircraft older than five years old.

vailpass
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Nice comeback, Potsy. I see you have no answer. Tell me, again, how these airlines work? You have all the answers, right?

I'm sorry, was I wrong? In what capacity are you employed by an airline?

CaliforniaChief
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Wow, a pissing contest between Frontier and Southwest on Chiefs Planet during the week of a home game against the Cowboys. We ARE awful.

BTW, it really is about our own experiences. I happen to seek out American Airlines even though it's not highly ranked. It's worked well for me, and they treat me very well. I happened to watch the show Airline enough to see the kind of idiots I try to avoid flying with. Does that make it universally true? No.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
No, because I think RCA is no longer in business.

I can, however, book and fly on Frontier. I did last week and will again next week. That's because they are still in business.

You can still buy an RCA TV (someone else bought the name), just like you can buy a ticket on Frontier. Frontier went bankrupt. They were bought out of bankruptcy because it was a poor business model. They still fly under the Frontier moniker, but that's to ease the transition. It's not Frontier airlines, it's an airline that was bought by others to make money on the cheap.

Donger
10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
You can still buy an RCA TV (someone else bought the name), just like you can buy a ticket on Frontier. Frontier went bankrupt. They were bought out of bankruptcy because it was a poor business model. They still fly under the Frontier moniker, but that's to ease the transition. It's not Frontier airlines, it's an airline that was bought by others to make money on the cheap.

Yes, I know they went bankrupt. They just emerged from bankruptcy under the new ownership of Republic. They have stated that operations will remain the same as before.

If that changes, I'll re-evaluate.

However, they are not out of business, nor were they under bankruptcy protection.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry, was I wrong? In what capacity are you employed by an airline?

I'm an engineer in a company that sells to every airline in the world. We have commercial airlines, Boeing, Airbus, and general aviation engineers working in our facility.

vailpass
10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm an engineer in a company that sells to every airline in the world. We have commercial airlines, Boeing, Airbus, and general aviation engineers working in our facility.

Collins? Honeywell?

Stewie
10-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, I know they went bankrupt. They just emerged from bankruptcy under the new ownership of Republic. They have stated that operations will remain the same as before.

If that changes, I'll re-evaluate.

However, they are not out of business, nor were they under bankruptcy protection.

So, what is Rebublic going to do to make Frontier profitable? Cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, ....especially with the limited gates Frontier had.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Collins? Honeywell?

Nope.

Donger
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
So, what is Rebublic going to do to make Frontier profitable? Cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, ....especially with the limited gates Frontier had.

Frontier already cut costs under bankruptcy. They had something like eleven straight months of profitability under protection.

But, I would have thought you'd know that.

Donger
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Heh. Frontier also has a better on-time rating than SWA and has far fewer reports of mishandled baggage.

Dave Lane
10-06-2009, 03:09 PM

and not 23 hours and 50 minutes. Set an alarm

Stewie
10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Heh. Frontier also has a better on-time rating than SWA and has far fewer reports of mishandled baggage.

It's Frontier in name only. Hopefully, for you, things won't change, but there's a reason they lost money hand over fist.

vailpass
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Nope.

I guess you don't engineer the avionics then huh? In that case you could be anybody.

Donger
10-06-2009, 03:11 PM
It's Frontier in name only. Hopefully, for you, things won't change, but there's a reason they lost money hand over fist.

They could call it Donger Air Lines for all I care. If things change, like I said, I'll re-evaluate.

Bearcat
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
They could call it Donger Air Lines for all I care. If things change, like I said, I'll re-evaluate.

Donger Air: Come fly with us

jiveturkey
10-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I love SW. Frontier is good but rarely do they fit my plan. Midwest used to good but it seems like all of their flight leave at 5am and Jiveturkey doesn't get up that early.

The big airlines are pure garbage IMO.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I guess you don't engineer the avionics then huh? In that case you could be anybody.

Because avionics are the only important part. :rolleyes:

I'm in R&D. We work with both of the companies you mentioned.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Frontier already cut costs under bankruptcy. They had something like eleven straight months of profitability under protection.

:spock:

Donger
10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
:spock:

Meaning they were not out of business during protection.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Meaning they were not out of business during protection.
Got it. The second sentence in the first quote could have a double meaning.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm still waiting for someone besides Donger to give their SWA horror stories.

Vailpass?

Donger
10-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Donger Air: Come fly with us

Heh. I do get to fly to OMA in a few weeks on a Hawker 750. I shall declare her "Glamorous Donger I"

dirk digler
10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm still waiting for someone besides Donger to give their SWA horror stories.

Vailpass?

When I take kids I don't like not having assigned seating. I don't know if that qualifies as a horror story though

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 03:46 PM
When I take kids I don't like not having assigned seating. I don't know if that qualifies as a horror story though
It doesn't. People have their reasons for choosing airlines. I just hate it when people trash SWA without really knowing what they are talking about. Donger went so far as to say that he would drive before flying them, which he later admitted may not necessarily be true. Vailpass quoted Donger "x 100".

I'm just curious why people hate them so much.

KCChiefsMan
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
make sure you get to the airport 3 hours early so you can find out that your flight is delayed, 5 hours later get on the plane, then hit the connection and find out that because your last flight was delayed you will be missing your next flight and 6 hours later you will board the next plane. Then, 16 hours later, you get to your destination! Then you wait 2 and a half hours to get your baggage and then you wait 1 hour in the ridiculously long taxi line and then you are ready to start your vacation!!!!!!!

Reaper16
10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Dirk - what the Hell did you do to get on the watchlist?

Donger
10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
It doesn't. People have their reasons for choosing airlines. I just hate it when people trash SWA without really knowing what they are talking about. Donger went so far as to say that he would drive before flying them, which he later admitted may not necessarily be true. Vailpass quoted Donger "x 100".

Other than the perks that I mentioned (and that I don't get on other airlines, of course), the non-assigned seating is the killer for me. It just really doesn't appeal to me.

Dartgod
10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
make sure you get to the airport 3 hours early so you can find out that your flight is delayed, 5 hours later get on the plane, then hit the connection and find out that because your last flight was delayed you will be missing your next flight and 6 hours later you will board the next plane. Then, 16 hours later, you get to your destination! Then you wait 2 and a half hours to get your baggage and then you wait 1 hour in the ridiculously long taxi line and then you are ready to start your vacation!!!!!!!
I've never had a SW flight delayed more than 15-20 minutes.

I have had problems similar to what you described on Continental, America West and US Air.

luv
10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Holy crap. This thing really took off after I checked it at lunch today.

wildcat09
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

I have had 0 issues with SWA........I definately can not say the same for all other airlines except Midwest (love the cookies and the seating.) SWA also has the best rewards program.

CaliforniaChief
10-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Holy crap. This thing really took off after I checked it at lunch today.

It certainly did. To summarize the 10 page response to your question about what to expect on SWA, the short answer is that you most likely won't see Donger on your flight.

BigMeatballDave
10-07-2009, 12:01 AM
The last time I flew was Thanksgiving '96. My parents sent me a roundtrip ticket from KC to Columbus, Oh. I flew TWA. I had a layover in St. Louis. While sitting on the tarmac waiting to taxi, I noticed a ValueJet plane sitting next to us. I snickered. Then I realized I was on a TWA flight...