PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals retain all major-league coaches except Mizerock

petegz28
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
It didn’t take long for the Royals to decide that only minor changes are needed to manager Trey Hillman’s on-field coaching staff.

Everyone is coming back for 2010 except bullpen coach John Mizerock, whose departure ends his 18-year association with the organization.

“It’s just a philosophical change that I made with regard the bullpen coach,” general manager Dayton Moore said. “Rock’s expertise is as a catcher, and I want a bullpen coach whose expertise is as a pitcher.”

Moore also announced first-base coach Rusty Kuntz, 54, will shift to a new role as assistant to the general manager/field instructor. It was a move that Kuntz desired after the 2008 season before he agreed to return to the big-league staff.

Eddie Rodriguez, 50, will replace Kuntz as first-base coach after spending last season as a special-assignment coach.

“Rusty’s new position will allow him to touch more people,” Moore said. “We want him to be available for all of our home games.

“He might travel with the major-league team from time to time. But, primarily, when our major-league team is on the road, he will be circulating through our minor-league system.”

Rodriguez was Seattle’s first-base coach in 2008 and filled various on-field roles in recent years with Toronto, Arizona and Montreal/Washington. Plans call for him to work closely with third-base coach Dave Owen in coordinating defensive alignments.

“Eddie will handle the outfield stuff,” Hillman said, “but I look at him joining with Dave, who will continue to handle the infielders. I want both of them to put their eyes on both areas.”

The Royals have no timetable for hiring a replacement for Mizerock, 48, as bullpen coach.

“We haven’t even begun yet to put candidates together,” Moore said. “It will be a little while. We’ll have in-house candidates, certainly. We’ll just do our best to get the perfect person.”

The four returning coaches whose positions are unchanged:

•Bench coach John Gibbons, 47, returns for a second season after going 305-305 as Toronto’s manager from Aug. 8, 2004 to June 20, 2008.

•Pitching coach Bob McClure, 57, is back for a fifth season. He is only holdover from the staff of previous manager Buddy Bell.

•Hitting coach Kevin Seitzer, 49, just completed his first season as the club’s hitting coach.

•Owen, 51, was on Hillman’s 2007 staff in Japan with the Nippon Ham Fighters and served as bench coach in 2008 before shifting this season to third-base coach.

“I was very happy with the staff,” Hillman said, “in their ability to teach, their work ethic and the amount of time they put into what we all do. The personalities mesh in conjunction with what the objective is.”

Moore announced the changes Tuesday as club officials continued a week of organizational meetings in Surprise, Ariz. The decision came two days after the Royals completed a 65-97 season that marked a 10-game decline from 2008.

“I think our staff did a very good job under the circumstances,” Moore said. “We’re certainly disappointed in the result (of the season), but I think they handled it pretty well and were able to maintain a positive atmosphere.”

Mizerock joined the organization in 1992 and served the last two years as bullpen coach in his second tour on the major-league staff. He previously worked as bullpen coach in 2002 and third-base coach in 2003-04 before returning to minor-league duties.

He has not been offered another position.

“Rock has been a tremendous contributor to our organization,” Moore said. “Right now, there is nothing available, but that’s not to say that something couldn’t open up. We’re certainly open to that possibility.”

Kuntz spent the last two years as the club’s first-base coach with additional responsibilities as outfield coach and base-running coach. He worked as a minor-league roving instructor for Pittsburgh in 2006-07 after spending three seasons as the Pirates’ first-base coach.

Rodriguez joined the staff last October as special-assignment coach, which meant he couldn’t be in uniform once the game started. He took a leave of absence in September to serve as manager of the United States club in the World Cup and led the Americans to the gold medal.

To reach Bob Dutton, send e-mail to bdutton@kcstar.com. Follow his updates at twitter.com/Royals_Report.

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2009, 08:16 AM
:popcorn:

ChiTown
10-07-2009, 08:17 AM
I expected nothing less from this crap Organization.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-07-2009, 08:21 AM
so sad it makes me LMAO

Demonpenz
10-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I don't want a Rusty Kuntz touching more people

petegz28
10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I'll be calling the Royals this morning to tell them what they can do with their season ticket re-newal form they sent me.

gblowfish
10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Rusty Kuntz needs fulfillment.
And apparently Kevin Seitzer has embarrassing naked pictures of Dayton Moore in his possession.

ChiTown
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I'll be calling the Royals this morning to tell them what they can do with their season ticket re-newal form they sent me.

I went to my fewest number of Royals games this year since I moved back to the area (3 games). I am generally good for at least 1 3-game series in KC, a roadie, and a handful of other miscellaneous games during the season.

I plan to take my boys to 1 weekend series next year in KC, and that will be it. Even my kids are disgusted with the product on the field. The Royals are a gawdamned disgrace.

petegz28
10-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I went to my fewest number of Royals games this year since I moved back to the area (3 games). I am generally good for at least 1 3-game series in KC, a roadie, and a handful of other miscellaneous games during the season.

I plan to take my boys to 1 weekend series next year in KC, and that will be it. Even my kids are disgusted with the product on the field. The Royals are a gawdamned disgrace.

We are taking a vacation on the money we would spend on our season tickets and concessions, etc. We talked about maybe going to see the Royals in Baltimore and Seattle this year instead of watching them here. We will still go to a couple games but I cannot see myself dropping $1500 just on tickets again this year when we put a AA coaching staff back in charge.

Demonpenz
10-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't know if you can call a team that had a position player "player of the month" A cy young winner, and an A+ closer a disgrace, but feel free to jump off the bandwagon

wild1
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Seitzer I can see, given the pathetic offense, but who else do you feel should be fired?

Just a general "fire everyone" statement...?

petegz28
10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't know if you can call a team that had a position player "player of the month" A cy young winner, and an A+ closer a disgrace, but feel free to jump off the bandwagon

Did I miss the Greinke won the Cy Young award thread?

petegz28
10-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Seitzer I can see, given the pathetic offense, but who else do you feel should be fired?

Seitzer, Owen and Hillman should all be gone.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
together we can

ChiTown
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM

McClure, for not having the sack to stand up to Corky and Dumbfug Moore for ruining our $55MM "#1" pitcher - Meche.

What they did to him this year was criminal.

Demonpenz
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Did I miss the Greinke won the Cy Young award thread?

Oh jeez ok than silly award aside "the best pitcher in the game."

petegz28
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Although, to Hillman's credit he did show:

1. He can overuse ptichers with the best of them
2. Keep the best closer in baseball in the Pen when you need him
3. Display inconsistent approaches game after game
4. Bat hitters in positions and against pitchers they have no business facing
5. Yank your 2 best hitter out of the game during the 7th inning in a tie ballgame
6. Have hitters lay down a SAC bunt on the 1at pitch when the previous batter was just walked on 4 wild pitches

All that really makes me feel good about the job he did. Definitely worth my money for season tickets.

Reaper16
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Seitzer. He's stuck trying to teach .OBP to players that are monumentally ignorant of plate discipline. Its been said a lot that plate discipline can't be taught, anyway -- that its just as much a tool as speed or power.

Think about the positives of Seitzer's 1st year -- did anyone regress at the plate? Jacobs had a bad year, but he has a bad style of play in the first place. DeJesus started off poorly but soon regained form when he returned to the leadoff spot. Gordon and Aviles were both injured. Teahen, I guess, might have taken a slight step back.

Now, has anyone improved? Butler emerged into a star hitter. Callaspo had nearly as good a year at the plate, and he hit way more HR than anyone ever thought he would. Olivo, while still poor, actually improved over the course of the season. He took walks in Sept. That was amazing. Overall, I think that Seitz did a fine job with the talent he was given.

Now Dave Owen? His ass needed to get got.

Sure-Oz
10-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Great managing by destroying meche's arm this year...good thing we dont need him to be trade bait or anything

Fish
10-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Always low prices. Always.

DeezNutz
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Seitzer. He's stuck trying to teach .OBP to players that are monumentally ignorant of plate discipline. Its been said a lot that plate discipline can't be taught, anyway -- that its just as much a tool as speed or power.

Think about the positives of Seitzer's 1st year -- did anyone regress at the plate? Jacobs had a bad year, but he has a bad style of play in the first place. DeJesus started off poorly but soon regained form when he returned to the leadoff spot. Gordon and Aviles were both injured. Teahen, I guess, might have taken a slight step back.

Now, has anyone improved? Butler emerged into a star hitter. Callaspo had nearly as good a year at the plate, and he hit way more HR than anyone ever thought he would. Olivo, while still poor, actually improved over the course of the season. He took walks in Sept. That was amazing. Overall, I think that Seitz did a fine job with the talent he was given.

Now Dave Owen? His ass needed to get got.

Yep.

We still don't know what we have in Seitzer. The fact that Butler emerged this season, whether tied to Seitz or not, earns him another year.

Hillman and the rest must go.

But, of course, the real problem is Dayton Moore.

ChiTown
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep.

We still don't know what we have in Seitzer. The fact that Butler emerged this season, whether tied to Seitz or not, earns him another year.

Hillman and the rest must go.

But, of course, the real problem is Dayton Moore.

THIS!

DaWolf
10-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Great managing by destroying meche's arm this year...good thing we dont need him to be trade bait or anything

Moore admitted he was the one behind that.

Ultimately, it's up to Moore to get these guys talent...

teedubya
10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
together we can

Nosotros Podemos Sucko mucho Asso.

DeezNutz
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Moore admitted he was the one behind that.

Ultimately, it's up to Moore to get these guys talent...

And then to make sure that said talent is protected and not abused, assuming that the manager is not doing the former.

tomahawk kid
10-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Although, to Hillman's credit he did show:

1. He can overuse ptichers with the best of them
2. Keep the best closer in baseball in the Pen when you need him
3. Display inconsistent approaches game after game
4. Bat hitters in positions and against pitchers they have no business facing
5. Yank your 2 best hitter out of the game during the 7th inning in a tie ballgame
6. Have hitters lay down a SAC bunt on the 1at pitch when the previous batter was just walked on 4 wild pitches

All that really makes me feel good about the job he did. Definitely worth my money for season tickets.

They don't call him "Hat Rack" for nothing.......

teedubya
10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Royals Baseball!!!

We plan on suckin' for years!!!

Great Expectations
10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Owen has to be the worst 3rd base coach in baseball. It is as if he hasn't scouted the speed of his own team.

PunkinDrublic
10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
It kills me how a small market team like Minnesota is able to play balls out and fight their way into the playoffs while the Royals can't keep meet my lowly expectations of staying out of last place.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-07-2009, 10:34 PM
:cuss: