PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Derrick Johnson not complaining about not starting

Tribal Warfare
10-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Derrick Johnson not complaining about not starting (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1496339.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Derrick Johnson still hasn’t asked. He said he doesn’t care to know why he was demoted from the Chiefs’ starting linebacking corps six weeks ago and has been a high-dollar, high-expectations bench player in the time since.

He said he’ll keep waiting and practicing the way he knows how. And instead of asking coach Todd Haley about being benched and what Johnson might do to work his way back into the starting lineup, he said he prefers to explain himself with his play, limited as it has been.

“I really believe that the field speaks for itself,” Johnson, a former first-round pick, said in his calm, mild-mannered way. “I don’t get a lot of chances, don’t get me wrong, but the field speaks for itself. I can’t worry about that. The season is too long, and this game is too hard to be complaining and trying to talk about — I don’t think talking is going to do anything.

“All the coaches have great intentions. At the same time, do I want to play? Yeah, I want to play more.”

While Johnson has kept quiet, with injuries overtaking him and the distance growing between his outstanding performances — four tackles, an interception and a sack in the Chiefs’ first and second games — veteran Demorrio Williams has taken and kept Johnson’s starting job. A player with less speed and fewer athletic gifts is taking Johnson’s playing time, and Johnson said Wednesday that he doesn’t let that bother him.

“I can’t worry about that,” he said.

You would think he couldn’t help himself. Another man takes his job? Surely, that would at least stick in his mind, this being the final season under his first Chiefs contract — and a year in which Kansas City is deciding who will be in the team’s future and who won’t be.

Johnson is seen as perhaps the Chiefs’ most talented defender, a fast and powerful linebacker who can command games and keep offenses off balance. But his problem is that the Chiefs also see him as an underachiever, a player who cannot shake minor injuries and doesn’t seem willing to chase greatness — even if coaches have reminded him that he possesses that potential and that it would be his if he’d just go get it.

Instead, Johnson keeps waiting. And Williams keeps starting. And the Chiefs’ defense keeps missing one of its most promising but unreliable pieces.

“There’s no doubt that Derrick has a lot of ability,” Haley said. “Has he played to that ability? No, I don’t think, in my opinion. And for a lot of different reasons, and one of those being the inability to be able to stay healthy through a season.

“He needs to turn it up. We need to get the most out of the Derrick Johnsons on this team.”

That has been the problem all along. When the Chiefs drafted Johnson out of the University of Texas in 2005, he was a can’t-miss, high-intensity defender who was supposed to become Kansas City’s best linebacker since Derrick Thomas. Then the years passed, and Johnson never became that dominant player.

Former coordinator Gunther Cunningham bottled him up in scheme and assignments starting last year, then let him improvise, then moved him to middle linebacker. All of it was meant to spark something in Johnson that hadn’t been a concern at Texas. Then, after Cunningham left, Haley and new coordinator Clancy Pendergast moved to the 3-4 defense.

Johnson said he was comfortable; that’s what the Longhorns had run during his time there. That this would be his breakout season.

Then Johnson was injured, benched, injured again and nearly invisible in Sunday’s loss to the New York Giants. He’s listed this week as a second-team inside linebacker. The Chiefs keep trying to find the right combination to unlock Johnson’s gifts, but nothing has worked for more than a game or two.

“I have high expectations for myself,” Johnson said. “I’m very confident in my ability to play football.”

Johnson admits that it’s possible he can be more consistent.

“I think I have a couple of gears,” he said. “The sky is the limit when it comes to me on the field. Coaches are just trying to put me in a position where I can hit that extra gear on Sundays, so hopefully I can do that.”

But the Sundays might be running out for Johnson. His contract expires when the season ends, and he’ll be eligible for free agency. Johnson and the Chiefs will have a decision to make. Does Johnson belong in Kansas City? Can he deliver on that potential? Can he stay healthy? Can he still become a dominant defender, or will he forever remain a work in progress?

Johnson, 27, said it’s too early to know all those answers.

There is one more question. What if Johnson is doing precisely the opposite of what the Chiefs want him to? What if they’re waiting on him to get finally angry and march into Haley’s office and say that, by gosh, he’s ready to be that relentless defender the Chiefs envisioned?

Johnson chuckles and shakes his head.

“I don’t know. That’s not me,” Johnson said. “That’s not in my makeup, my character. My character is to do the right thing at all times.

“My job is to play out on the field and let everything speak for itself.”

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 08:32 AM
This reminds me a little bit of the Derrick Alexander situation when DV was hired.

A talented player was pretty much completely wasted because A) He was lazy and constantly nicked up and B) the coaching staff had very high standards for that particular position.

It's depressing.

Cosmos
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Aaron Curry...

Brock
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Johnson and the Chiefs will have a decision to make. Does Johnson belong in Kansas City? Can he deliver on that potential?

Meh, this has already been decided, looks like.

Tribal Warfare
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Aaron Curry...

Jesus saves

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Meh, this has already been decided, looks like.

It's pretty weird, though. The guy delivers two of the biggest defensive plays of the year and now he's stuck to the bench...

SenselessChiefsFan
10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
This reminds me a little bit of the Derrick Alexander situation when DV was hired.

A talented player was pretty much completely wasted because A) He was lazy and constantly nicked up and B) the coaching staff had very high standards for that particular position.

It's depressing.

The difference is that Derrick Alexander really didn't fit the scheme very well. He didn't run precise routes and had never been a quick twitch guy. He was a perfect West Coast WR.

Derrick Alexander was also at the end of his career. He only played one more year.

Derrick Alexander had also struggled to stay healthy his entire career. Only once in his nine year career did he play all 16 games.

DJ is a better fit in this defense than Alexander was in that offense, and he is only 27, and already has two 16 game seasons under his belt..... so yeah, exactly the same... oh, wait.... no, totally different.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
DJ is a better fit in this defense than Alexander was in that offense

I don't necessarily agree with that at all. I think he fits much better as a 4-3 OLB. You have to be disciplined and tough to play ILB in a 3-4....so far he hasn't shown those abilities.

The Bad Guy
10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Derrick's lax attitude is a lot of the reason he doesn't start. The dude cares so much that he doesn't even care to find out why he's not starting? He doesn't care to know what he did wrong, and what can be done to fix it? No wonder why the coaching staff basically hates him.

I'll be happy when he's gone.

Fish
10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
OK... Fuck DJ. This is bullshit.

“I really believe that the field speaks for itself,” Johnson, a former first-round pick, said in his calm, mild-mannered way. “I don’t get a lot of chances, don’t get me wrong, but the field speaks for itself."

“I’m very confident in my ability to play football.”

“The sky is the limit when it comes to me on the field."

This fuckstick is completely convinced that he's the best defender on the field and should be treated as such no matter what. He's so full of himself, that he's convinced nothing is wrong. He actually thinks he's doing enough and that he should be respected for the effort he's giving. Overconfident. Stubborn. Impossible to coach. Underachiever.

This is why Texas players never do well in the NFL. I've completely lost all support for this big baby.

KCUnited
10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Derrick's lax attitude is a lot of the reason he doesn't start. The dude cares so much that he doesn't even care to find out why he's not starting? He doesn't care to know what he did wrong, and what can be done to fix it? No wonder why the coaching staff basically hates him.

This. The whole 'I'll let my play on the field do the talking' stuff is nonsense. Guy needs to go to his coach and find out exactly what is expected of him because he obviously doesn't get it.

Shag
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
This guy just doesn't seem to have much fire or drive. Seems content with whatever happens. Not a recipe for success in the NFL...

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 09:15 AM
This guy just doesn't seem to have much fire or drive. Seems content with whatever happens. Not a recipe for success in the NFL...

I think Herm ruined him. He was never challenged for his starting spot, and his lax practice habits went unchecked.

It's okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

big nasty kcnut
10-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Why can't they let him move around and improvise. Let him create plays.

kepp
10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
The article title says all we need to know.

notorious
10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
He is the type of player that will go to New England or Baltimore and run off 5 Pro-Bowls.

LiL stumppy
10-08-2009, 09:42 AM
OK... Fuck DJ. This is bullshit.

This fuckstick is completely convinced that he's the best defender on the field and should be treated as such no matter what. He's so full of himself, that he's convinced nothing is wrong. He actually thinks he's doing enough and that he should be respected for the effort he's giving. Overconfident. Stubborn. Impossible to coach. Underachiever.

This is why Texas players never do well in the NFL. I've completely lost all support for this big baby.

Your an idiot, of course he thinks he's the best.thats what good players think. Would you rather have a confident player or someone who thinkhe sucks? God some of you people have no idea what your talking about.

PunkinDrublic
10-08-2009, 09:55 AM
What's depressing is every once in a while DJ will make an outstanding play on defense that will make him look like an all pro. It makes you shake your head and wonder why he can't do it all the time. He still has the ability to be a stud lb.

Brock
10-08-2009, 09:57 AM
He is the type of player that will go to New England or Baltimore and run off 5 Pro-Bowls.

ROFL

Chiefnj2
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
If Mitchell can start and win a ring, I don't think DJ will have difficulty finding employment next year.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
The difference is that Derrick Alexander really didn't fit the scheme very well. He didn't run precise routes and had never been a quick twitch guy. He was a perfect West Coast WR.

Derrick Alexander was also at the end of his career. He only played one more year.

Derrick Alexander had also struggled to stay healthy his entire career. Only once in his nine year career did he play all 16 games.

DJ is a better fit in this defense than Alexander was in that offense, and he is only 27, and already has two 16 game seasons under his belt..... so yeah, exactly the same... oh, wait.... no, totally different.

Dude, Derrick Alexander was a criminal underperformer. Always had been. If he aplied his talent 100% he could have OWNED the league.

notorious
10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
ROFL

Uhh, coaching in an AGGRESSIVE defensive scheme might just show what he can do.

He has been used in a dogshit cover 2 scheme that doesn't utilize blitzing properly for just about his whole career.

FAX
10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
It's a contract year. He wants out.

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Dude, Derrick Alexander was a criminal underperformer. Always had been. If he aplied his talent 100% he could have OWNED the league.

He knew his true calling was in IT.

Alexander currently serves as the owner of “Geeks on Call,” a mobile computer repair and service franchise in Kansas City.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/22/wr_derrick_alexander_retires_as_a_member_of_the_chiefs/

The Bad Guy
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Your an idiot, of course he thinks he's the best.thats what good players think. Would you rather have a confident player or someone who thinkhe sucks? God some of you people have no idea what your talking about.

When did DJ become good?

He's been moved around to every position and can never find somewhere he's consistent.

I'd rather have a player who wants to get better every day. When you can't have the guts to go to the coaching staff to tell you why you're demoted, then you can expect to stay as a backup.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Derrick Johnson still hasn’t asked. He said he doesn’t care to know why he was demoted from the Chiefs’ starting linebacking
There is something wrong about this.

58kcfan89
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
There is one more question. What if Johnson is doing precisely the opposite of what the Chiefs want him to? [B]What if they’re waiting on him to get finally angry and march into Haley’s office and say that, by gosh, he’s ready to be that relentless defender the Chiefs envisioned?

Johnson chuckles and shakes his head.

“I don’t know. That’s not me,” Johnson said. “That’s not in my makeup, my character. My character is to do the right thing at all times.

I'd say your play has spoken for itself. It's mediocre at best with an All-Pro play sprinkled in every other game. If maybe you'd act like you gave a sh*t and go into a coach's office and show a little fire, you wouldn't have to answer questions about your work ethic and potential when you've been in the league for 5 years.

The sad thing about this whole thing is that he's one of the most talented defenders (or even one of the most talented players?) on the team. It seems like he just refuses to acknowledge that he's nowhere near where he should be at this point in his career.

Chiefnj2
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
There is something wrong about this.

Didn't Battle or Savage say something similar a few weeks back? You'd think the positional coaches would be saying something to them.

LaChapelle
10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
He will be seen as Donnie Edwards II. People will bitch about letting him go when he goes to a pretty good defense and looks good by those around him. When they won't be able to remember 2 plays he made while he was here.

ThunderChief
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know what makes DJ tick and don't know him personally. I DO know that he was highly touted coming out of college, thought to be taken by Cleveland in the top 3 of his draft class and for some reason he slid down to the Chiefs at #15. Okay, we all know that.

Why did he drop in the first place? Was it because he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer mentally? Did he not shine in those private chalkboard sessions with coaches prior to the draft? I don't know. Something happened.

Is DJ yet another in a long line of hyped U of Tex products and treated like Gods in Austin who couldn't adapt to the real NFL world? Somewhere in there, might be an answer.

I do recall him chasing down plays from the backside as a rook, at least for a time and flashing IMPACT! ability. But only for a short time. Then, something got into his head or too much got into it that relegated him to a thinking man's LB instead of one who could read-react-destroy.

To me, DJ is an enigma for the Chiefs and also one who might yet realize his potential on another team with a coach who understands what he can and cannot do well. DJ's blase' attitude about his current starting status only affirms some points already made earlier in this post.

LaChapelle
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
He got married and became a father over the offseason. Hope for a short honeymoon :)

Mr. Laz
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Didn't Battle or Savage say something similar a few weeks back? You'd think the positional coaches would be saying something to them.
I don't know but i wouldn't expect Battle and Savage to have the expectations to start while LJ is here.

DJ should be pissed as hell he's not starting and should be wanting to know what he needs to improve to get back into the starting lineup.

Unless this apathetic attitude is part of the problem or he just wants out of KC and is not worried about it.

Chiefnj2
10-08-2009, 11:06 AM
When Waters showed up at Arrowhead and wanted to meet with Haley to talk about the direction of the team and was rebuffed everybody said "good for Haley" and called Waters a spoiled bum. When DJ does what people said Waters should do (just show up and practice hard) he's a problem and is apathetic.

KCUnited
10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I believe you're thinking of Charles, week 2.

LaChapelle
10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Waters was benched?

Mr. Flopnuts
10-08-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't think that's it at all. I mean, sure, he definitely has a bad attitude over it. But I think he's just taking his "Fuck you, Todd Haley" schtick public.

Fish
10-08-2009, 11:11 AM

Hey dumbshit. DJ isn't starting for a reason. His overconfidence is detrimental to his performance. I'd rather have confident players who want to get better each and every day. Not cocky dickheads that think they're the best on the field despite their performance week to week. It's obvious that DJ has many areas of his game that he needs to work on. But he's too damn proud to do so. Meanwhile, Vrabel has been noted countless times this season for his desire to better himself, and work on his technique. And he's as accomplished as a veteran can get. If DJ had 5% of Vrabel's work ethic, he'd be an outstanding player. Instead he's got his fingers in his ears saying "Nope, I'm playing fine, my work speaks for itself on the field. Don't know why they won't play me and I don't care." When he can't manage to even keep his ass on the field.

This is all on DJ. And I'm glad Haley isn't playing him when DJ has the attitude that he does.

And your and idiot.

LaChapelle
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I mentioned this in a thread yesterday and I'll repeat it here.

Kevin Harlan on Petro's show said the talk on DJ around the league is that he's soft and lazy.
Those be fighting words for 99% of defensive players.

OnTheWarpath15
10-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Kevin Harlan on Petro's show said the talk on DJ around the league is that he's soft and lazy.

Shocking, considering that's exactly what his play on the field would lead you to believe.

SAUTO
10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Shocking, considering that's exactly what his play on the field would lead you to believe.

for sure
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM

It's depressing.

You forgot to add the part about Derrick Alexander being an extremely productive receiver for years before landing in Kansas City.

Derrick Johnson has never been anything other than a 1st round talent wrapped in a 7th round brain.

He's not even an average player and never has been.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I think Herm ruined him. He was never challenged for his starting spot, and his lax practice habits went unchecked.

It's okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

You CANNOT "ruin" a smart, instinctive football player.

JFC.

Sure-Oz
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM

This...

I thought he was going to be our stud LB, he's soft.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Derrick Johnson - Soft Bitch

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
You CANNOT "ruin" a smart, instinctive football player.

JFC.

Yeah ruined him is probably the wrong way of saying it. Rather, he ruined his potential. DJ needed to be ridden hard and he got Mr. Niceguy HC instead.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 11:24 AM

Really?

The guy sucks ass. He'll make a great play, then disappear for the next four games. He doesn't take on tacklers, isn't exactly great in coverage and he's not an instinctive ball-hawk. He's nowhere near the player that Donnie Edwards was in KC and truth be told, he's no where near the player of Kawika Mitchell or Scott Fujita.

He's a guy that plays football. He's not a football player.

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
When Waters showed up at Arrowhead and wanted to meet with Haley to talk about the direction of the team and was rebuffed everybody said "good for Haley" and called Waters a spoiled bum. When DJ does what people said Waters should do (just show up and practice hard) he's a problem and is apathetic.

Waters showing up unannounced at Arrowhead the day before the draft and wanting a tete a tete with the new brass about how they were going to run the franchise is not the same thing as Derrick resigning himself to the emotional equivilant of "whatever" during the middle of the season.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Not even close to the same thing imo

Player wanting to be consulted on GM matters =/= Player not caring what he needs to do to be good enough to start

GoHuge
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Those be fighting words for 99% of defensive players.Yep I was going to mention that myself. Harlan is wired in and isn't throwing darts. I've even heard Petro talk about how DJ needs to work on his body more to stay healthy. Everyone has always talked about him not being "cut" and carrying around some baby fat. When have you ever seen a NFL linebacker that wasn't ripped? DJ is the only one that comes to my mind. He also has never had an injury that needed surgery, but he's nicked all the time. Just can't stay on the field for even minor injuries. I think things have come to him so easily as an athlete he's never had to push himself physically. He just doesn't understand how hard some other guys have to work to even get close to what DJ can do with his God-given ability. It's really pretty sad. Maybe DJ has no desire to be great? Nothing about his comments makes me think he does :shake:

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
just play him

Mr. Laz
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
just play him
So you don't want Haley to instill a new attitude on the team?

Play the most talent player even if he doesn't give a shit?

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Yeah, that's really working out with Dwayne Bowe:

2008: 86 catches, 1,086 yards.

2009: 10 catches, 104 yards.

Awesome.

:rolleyes:

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

hows that working out so far?

please, sometimes you just have to play the best players that you have.

The Franchise
10-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Derrick Johnson is exactly what is wrong with the Chiefs. Players who were coddled by their previous head coach....and expect to start because of who they are.

Fuck you Derrick Johnson.....have fun getting money somewhere else next year.

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
if you dont like dj maybe you can still play him and get some trade value out of him. just sitting him isnt doing anybody any good

Chiefnj2
10-08-2009, 12:37 PM

Instill a new attitude by bringing in leaders like Zach Thomas, or guys familiar with the system like Monty Beisel?

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Haleys a pussy, he acts like hes got balls but hes all talk

notorious
10-08-2009, 01:26 PM

What else do you want him to do?

Since we are the new Raiders do you want him to punch someone in the jaw? ROFL

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
What else do you want him to do?

Since we are the new Raiders do you want him to punch someone in the jaw? ROFL

If you dont want to play him then trade him or cut his fucking ass.

"ooooo, Haley's not starting a former first round pick, ooooooo"

BFD

notorious
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
If you dont want to play him then trade him or cut his ****ing ass.

"ooooo, Haley's not starting a former first round pick, ooooooo"

BFD

I know, my sarcasm was my way of agreeing with you.

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I know, my sarcasm was my way of agreeing with you.

actually haley should start beating them, maybe spit in ljs face or something

notorious
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
actually haley should start beating them, maybe spit in ljs face or something

LJ is hopeless. By the time LJ got up from getting knocked over from the impact of the spit, Haley would be gone.

keg in kc
10-08-2009, 01:35 PM

It's depressing.Alexander had a great season with the vikings the year he was cut.

Delano
10-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Alexander had a great season with the vikings the year he was cut.

Yeah a great 14-catch season.

Contrarian
10-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Really?

The guy sucks ass. He'll make a great play, then disappear for the next four games. He doesn't take on tacklers, isn't exactly great in coverage and he's not an instinctive ball-hawk. He's nowhere near the player that Donnie Edwards was in KC and truth be told, he's no where near the player of Kawika Mitchell or Scott Fujita.

He's a guy that plays football. He's not a football player.

Please do not talk up Donnie Edwards.
I am sick of the KC fan base talking up that piece of crap. Sure he made a lot of tackles... once the guy was across the first down marker. I think that you like much of the KC fanbase that get berraged by the skank KC media with negativity need to back up and admit that so far this year Derrick Johnson regardless of his practice habits, his nonbitching attitude, saying that his play will show on the field has done just that. He has shown it on the field. Not playing doesn't make you great. I think that this is one area where Haley needs to loosen up the ropes and allow Derrick to sink or swim not hide his ass in the closet and trade him at the end of the season for bad production.
It's like Haley thinks that they will get something more for him if they don't exhibit his faults.
But please shut up about Donnie Edwards.

LaChapelle
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Derrick needs to take a leadership role. "Whatever."

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Please do not talk up Donnie Edwards.
I am sick of the KC fan base talking up that piece of crap. Sure he made a lot of tackles... once the guy was across the first down marker. I think that you like much of the KC fanbase that get berraged by the skank KC media with negativity need to back up and admit that so far this year Derrick Johnson regardless of his practice habits, his nonbitching attitude, saying that his play will show on the field has done just that. He has shown it on the field. Not playing doesn't make you great. I think that this is one area where Haley needs to loosen up the ropes and allow Derrick to sink or swim not hide his ass in the closet and trade him at the end of the season for bad production.
It's like Haley thinks that they will get something more for him if they don't exhibit his faults.
But please shut up about Donnie Edwards.

Fuck you.

Donnie Edwards was a very good, consistent NFL linebacker, especially for a fourth round pick. He was a Pro Bowler in San Diego and very knowledgable about the game.

Furthermore, Douche, Derrick Johnson hasn't done fucking jackshit in nearly 5 NFL seasons. Expecting something more from him now is ridiculous.

He's never lived up to his draft selection and he never will.

Fucking shut the fuck up.

Contrarian
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
**** you.

Donnie Edwards was a very good, consistent NFL linebacker, especially for a fourth round pick. He was a Pro Bowler in San Diego and very knowledgable about the game.

Furthermore, Douche, Derrick Johnson hasn't done ****ing jackshit in nearly 5 NFL seasons. Expecting something more from him now is ridiculous.

He's never lived up to his draft selection and he never will.

****ing shut the **** up.

HA!
He was a joke. And who wouldn't become a probowler on that side with San Diego's D in 2005? It had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Merriman and teams not wanting to run to that side.
As for our defense for the last five years it has sucked ass. You think Derrick alone would change that? We hardly ever rush the guy. But when we do we seem to get positive results. hmmmmm.
He has gone through 3 different systems for this team and never getting the opportunity to truly play to his potential with a good supporting cast. Always expected to drop out into coverage while a corner blitzed or a safety was moved up to provide pressure as Pollard would and failed.

Go suck some more on Edwards bajo cajones!

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
HA!
He was a joke. And who wouldn't become a probowler on that side with San Diego's D in 2005? It had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Merriman and teams not wanting to run to that side.
As for our defense for the last five years it has sucked ass. You think Derrick alone would change that? We hardly ever rush the guy. But when we do we seem to get positive results. hmmmmm.
He has gone through 3 different systems for this team and never getting the opportunity to truly play to his potential with a good supporting cast. Always expected to drop out into coverage while a corner blitzed or a safety was moved up to provide pressure as Pollard would and failed.

Go suck some more on Edwards bajo cajones!

FAIL

Contrarian
10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
FAIL

Oh that hurts Dane. I failed. Oh that is so disappointing.
It amazes me how bent out of shape you got from me disagreeing with you, you argue like a bitch. "F*ck you and f*ck you and you and f*ck that you f*ckin f*cker f*ck." Cheerleader of the Donnie Edwards fan club?
I went to school with a Dane McCloud. Little bitty scrawny bitch. Would this be the same Dane McCloud? Dane you failed a long long time ago.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Oh that hurts Dane. I failed. Oh that is so disappointing.
It amazes me how bent out of shape you got from me disagreeing with you, you argue like a bitch. "F*ck you and f*ck you and you and f*ck that you f*ckin f*cker f*ck." Cheerleader of the Donnie Edwards fan club?
I went to school with a Dane McCloud. Little bitty scrawny bitch. Would this be the same Dane McCloud? Dane you failed a long long time ago.

LMAO

You have a lot to learn, Douchebag

milkman
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Didn't Donnie Edwards only go to the Pro Bowl as an aternate in San Diego?

Contrarian is right about Donnie.

Worst tackler at LB ever.

He shoulda been a Cowboy, cause he rode RBs like a Bronco Buster until the clowns came to save him.

Braincase
10-08-2009, 08:09 PM

He shoulda been a Cowboy, cause he rode RBs like a Bronco Buster until the clowns came to save him.

Good god. You guys have short freakin' memories. We complained for years about how Donnie was a leader on our D, lead the team in tackles and always got overlooked for the Probowl. When Vermeil let him go we said, "Go get your money, Donnie", then watched our D become the laughingstock of the NFL. Dane is right, you other clowns have selective memory disorder.

milkman
10-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Good god. You guys have short freakin' memories. We complained for years about how Donnie was a leader on our D, lead the team in tackles and always got overlooked for the Probowl. When Vermeil let him go we said, "Go get your money, Donnie", then watched our D become the laughingstock of the NFL. Dane is right, you other clowns have selective memory disorder.

If you were to search, you would find that I always thought that Chiefs fans overrated Donnie.

He had speed, was good in coverage, but couldn't tackle.

I always bitched about the fact that he could only hang on until help came, and was not the least bit unhappy when they let him walk, and wasn't the least bit happy when they brought him back.

Braincase
10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
If you were to search, you would find that I always thought that Chiefs fans overrated Donnie.

He had speed, was good in coverage, but couldn't tackle.

I always bitched about the fact that he could only hang on until help came, and was not the least bit unhappy when they let him walk, and wasn't the least bit happy when they brought him back.

1997 - 80 tackles
1998 - 80 tackles
1999 - 90 tackles
2000 - 114 tackles
2001 - 98 tackles
2007 - 85 tackles

I think the evidence speaks for itself. Looks like he could tackle, or else he wouldn't have those numbers. They'd all read 0/0/0/0/0/0, right?

TheGuardian
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Let's clear some REAL things up here.

Donnie Edwards was the linebacker version of a compiler. He made the majority of his tackles well past the line of scrimmage, was too light and stayed too tall when taking on blockers and could never disengage. He was good in coverage. That's really about it. I have never been able to figure out why some Chief fans thought Donnie was so good. He made a lot of tackles yes............5 yards past the line of scrimmage. If you don't believe that check the articles about him when he left San Diego to come back here. They had the same complaint, the guy simply wasn't very good near the line. You know, where linebackers make their money?

Now Derrick Johnson? He's in his what 4th season? He is what he is. He's not going to go someplace else and become a pro bowler because, while he isn't quite Jamarcus Russel in the laziness department, he is not a "worker". Every year of Herm's tenure here the guy showed up to camp fat and soft. For every game where he looked like the second coming of Derrick Brooks he would have 4 or 5 where it didn't appear as if he suited up for the day.

Also, it's not often that all of the negatives on a guy really come to fruition about a guy in scouting reports but in his case, they are all true. He runs around blocks, he is an ankle tackler, is not a good blitzer, and for all of his speed he often struggles with his instincts in coverage (sometimes he's in the right spot and sometimes he's not). Basically all of the flaws that Derrick had in college he still has. And to me, that is attributed to work ethic. 5-6 years ago people said Ray Lewis had trouble getting off of blocks. You don't hear that anymore. You know why? Because Ray is a fuggin worker of epic proportions and now his butt and shed technique is the shit. He blows up fullbacks and tight ends and even guards without a problem. Some guys read those things and take it personal and get better. Derrick seems to have the attitude of "well my play speaks for itself." What? That's talk of a guy who in his mind, is a multi time pro bowler. And he hasn't done a thing.

And Kawika Mitchell is an average to sometimes solid player. The Giants replaced him easily with a better player and made virtually no effort to resign him, but we wouldn't have been the worse for wear in keeping him.

The guy we really shit the bed on cutting/trading was Fujita who has become a leader in New Orleans and has had a couple of pro bowl type years there. You don't get rid of a 6'5" 250 pound strongside linebacker who has 100 tackles most years. Gunther, what an idiot that guy is.

Just to make it even worse, we could have had this defense here this season........

Jared Allen
Dorsey
Raji
Tamba

Derrick Johnson
Mitchell
Fujita

That'll make you sick at your stomach right there.

TheGuardian
10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
1997 - 80 tackles
1998 - 80 tackles
1999 - 90 tackles
2000 - 114 tackles
2001 - 98 tackles
2007 - 85 tackles

I think the evidence speaks for itself. Looks like he could tackle, or else he wouldn't have those numbers. They'd all read 0/0/0/0/0/0, right?

It's really more about WHERE he made those tackles. They were usually downfield with Donnie dragging them down from behind.

Braincase
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
It's really more about WHERE he made those tackles. They were usually downfield with Donnie dragging them down from behind.

He regularly dropped into coverage. That's why among linebackers, he's one of the career leaders in interceptions. Yeah, Shawne Merriman gets a large number of sacks, but he doesn't hold a candle to Edwards in total tackles. Merriman, first three years as a starter - 43/49/54; meanwhile Donnie (the guy that can't tackle), was 80/80/90.

But, of course, Donnie can't tackle.

TheGuardian
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
He regularly dropped into coverage. That's why among linebackers, he's one of the career leaders in interceptions. Yeah, Shawne "roidman" Merriman gets a large number of sacks, but he doesn't hold a candle to Edwards in total tackles. Merriman, first three years as a starter - 43/49/54; meanwhile Donnie (the guy that can't tackle), was 80/80/90.

But, of course, Donnie can't tackle.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Demarcus Ware doesn't have a lot of tackles because he doesn't play in between the tackles he plays on the edges.

Second, the first thing you are taught as a linebacker is that your first step is always forward. The "he was dropping into coverage" thing makes no sense. Donnie has ALWAYS been weak at the point and made most of his tackles well down field. I'll take a guy with 80 total tackles that were made near the line, than a guy with 120 tackles that were made well past the line of scrimmage. Looking at tackle stats doesn't tell you a single thing about a player and how effective he really is.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Well, I disagree.

I thought he was very good in the 90's for the Chiefs, especially 1997 and 1998. He was very good in coverage and while he wasn't the greatest tackler in the world, that wasn't necessarily a liability until the entire defense around him fell apart.

Upon his return to KC, he made the defense better. Unfortunately, his body was worn down and his impact was minimal.

I'm in no way implying that he should be looked upon in the same light as Derrick Thomas or even some of the better 4-3 linebackers of the day.

But to say that he wasn't a "player" and that he "sucked" is absolutely invalid.

stevieray
10-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I worked for DJ.

...nice guy. maybe too nice to have the fire needed to be a dominant LB.

It's a shame...but I agree with Fax..he wants out...prolly tired of the inconsistancy.

TheGuardian
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, I disagree.

I thought he was very good in the 90's for the Chiefs, especially 1997 and 1998. He was very good in coverage and while he wasn't the greatest tackler in the world, that wasn't necessarily a liability until the entire defense around him fell apart.

Upon his return to KC, he made the defense better. Unfortunately, his body was worn down and his impact was minimal.

I'm in no way implying that he should be looked upon in the same light as Derrick Thomas or even some of the better 4-3 linebackers of the day.

But to say that he wasn't a "player" and that he "sucked" is absolutely invalid.

Def not fair to say he "sucked" but he was never as good as some chief fans made him out to be. He was a liability when a team ran at him. He was a good chase and pursue guy and good in coverage. But if you needed him to be forceful up inside he was junk there.

The guy that never got enough credit in KC who was fuggin nails was Marvcus Patton. We've never replaced what that guy brought to the table as a mike backer.

Braincase
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Looking at tackle stats doesn't tell you a single thing about a player and how effective he really is.

It tells you he can tackle, and that was my original point.

milkman
10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Well, I disagree.

Donnie was a good player, but a LB has to be able to sometimes lay the wood, and most of the time wrap and tackle.

Donnie couldn't do that.

He wasn't a liability when he had talent around him.

And his pass coverage ability was outstanding.

But he's not a guy I missed when he left, nor was he a guy that I thought brought anything to the D when he came back, especially since he'd lost a step.

milkman
10-08-2009, 09:00 PM
It tells you he can tackle, and that was my original point.

What it tells you is that RBs just got worn down after carrying 230 pounds for 6 or 7 yards, or that help arrived.

boogblaster
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
DJ had his days .. right now I don't know where he'sat ....

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
But he's not a guy I missed when he left, nor was he a guy that I thought brought anything to the D when he came back, especially since he'd lost a step.

I think the Chiefs defense missed his leadership after he left. Now, I'm not stating that he was Ray Lewis or Troy Palomalu but since DT's passing, he's been the only real leader of that defense. IMO, it showed when he wasn't on the field.

The have pretty much been twisting in the wind ever since.

Gadzooks
10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I think the Chiefs defense missed his leadership after he left. Now, I'm not stating that he was Ray Lewis or Troy Palomalu but since DT's passing, he's been the only real leader of that defense. IMO, it showed when he wasn't on the field.

He was pretty much the same when he was in SD. Good in pass protection but a liabilty in run D. Some fans still say they miss him though.:rolleyes:

Marcellus
10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
The guy that never got enough credit in KC who was fuggin nails was Marvcus Patton. We've never replaced what that guy brought to the table as a mike backer.

:clap: Marvcus was a great middle linebacker.

Marcellus
10-08-2009, 09:21 PM

I can agree with this. He wasn't great but he was solid and had some leadership ability.

I think I always liked him because of the INT that won the Raiders game at the very end his rookie year I think it was.