PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Practice Report 10/8 Update

Tribal Warfare
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Practice Report 10/8 Update (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/practice-report-108.html#more-11186)
October 8, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

Speaking after practice on Thursday, Larry Johnson did not provide any sort of explanation of his one-word answer to most media questions after last Sunday’s game against the Giants: ego.

“That’s last week,” said Johnson. When asked for a hint, he declined.

But Johnson made it plain that it’s time for the Chiefs offense to get its act together and to do it for four quarters.
“As an offense, we are frustrated because we always seem to be scoring in the second half,” said Johnson. “It’s frustrating that we’re coming together at the last moment, instead of doing it right off the bat.

“I’m looking for us to not make penalties and do the stupid things that we are doing that hurt the offense, going back and forth, back and forth from the field; it makes us look like a collegiate team. We have to fix those things as an offense.
“I think I have to be quicker and understand more on some of the blocking schemes. Especially now, we are getting blitzed in the A gaps, which will be a common thing until we stop it. We have to be able to come together as an offensive line and running backs and know who we are going to have on a split-second change to get these negative plays stopped.”
The rainy weather pushed the Chiefs indoors for their Thursday morning practice session at their facilities.

DE Wallace Gilberry was the only player on the active roster and practice squad who was not taking part in the practice. Gilbery suffered some sort of head trauma during Wednesday’s session. He was on the field, working in the rehab area.

During the practice, OT Ikechuku Ndukwe suffered a neck stinger and was forced out of the work.

Speaking after practice, QB Matt Cassel said this week the emphasis on offense has been on limiting the negative plays. “We need a lot more production on first and second down,” said Cassel. “If we can eliminate the negative plays and have more production on early downs, we won’t be so bad on third down.”

Cassel said there’s no magic potion to eliminating the team’s negative plays. “We must have more attention to detail as we go forward,” said Cassel. “Whether it’s running the ball, catching the ball, throwing the ball, we need to be better.”

When it comes to negative offensive plays, the Chiefs lead the NFL. They’ve had 51 running plays for negative yardage, passing plays for negative yardage (including sacks) and offensive penalties. Those 51 negative plays have cost the KC offense 269 yards.

Chiefs fans have been waiting for a breakout performance from Cassel. “I would love to throw for 350 yards and have a big breakout game as well,” said Cassel. “More important than stats is to get a “W” on the board. Stats will come. The biggest thing for this team is winning a game.”

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Jesus...Larry must have had an epiphany in the past two days. He's actually talking about needing to get better on blocking and where to block (A gaps) and get quicker.

I'm stunned. It's like he actually understands. Maybe the coaching change was a good thing after all. Maybe these guys will eventually get it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Jesus...Larry must have had an epiphany in the past two days. He's actually talking about needing to get better on blocking and where to block (A gaps) and get quicker.

I'm stunned. It's like he actually understands. Maybe the coaching change was a good thing after all. Maybe these guys will eventually get it.

Because I'm sure that Larry has played football for the last 20+ years without knowing where the fucking A gap is.

CoMoChief
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Oline sucks and is preventing us from winning any games......water is wet, nothing new here folks.

mrbiggz
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
This whole negative plays business is new? They should have been emphasizing that after the season opener with the Ravens. The opposing teams are playing on our side of the line of scrimmage every other play.

Defensively, we have to do a better on first and second down. When we get to third down we HAVE to get pressure on the QB and knock of his timing with recievers. I don't care how we do it, but they have to do something

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Because I'm sure that Larry has played football for the last 20+ years without knowing where the ****ing A gap is.

I don't know. It's kinda seemed like he hasn't.

FAX
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Because I'm sure that Larry has played football for the last 20+ years without knowing where the ****ing A gap is.

One would think so. However, I've been operating under the impression that LJ thought the A Gap was the right guard's butt crack.

FAX

MahiMike
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Even with Larry's improved running last week - and when I was just ready to back him up - I see him miss an easy block and allowing a sack.

FAX
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Even with Larry's improved running last week - and when I was just ready to back him up - I see him miss an easy block and allowing a sack.

But, you did not see a defender emerge from the right guard's butt crack, did you, Mr. MahiMike? No, you did not.

Therefore, the A Gap is secure.

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Is this the daily bash Larry thread? Just checking.

Fritz88
10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I love how the Jets knew they needed a WR and found one. Trying to find a solution for our Oline through waivers or second stringers will not solve our problem.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Trying to find a solution for our Oline through waivers or second stringers will not solve our problem.

How else do you suggest they find them this time of year??

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Is this the daily bash Larry thread? Just checking.

Hell no! I'm impressed that Larry now seems to realize that there is an A-Gap and he needs to pick up the block better on that assignment when he's supposed to, and that he could improve his quickness on getting into the gaps on running plays.

He's talking football, and how he can improve himself in that regard.

It's not just "ego."

Like I said, he's had an epiphany, a moment of clarity.

I'm thrilled in all actuality.

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
How else do you suggest they find them this time of year??

The Great Pumpkin?

http://www.dailypress.com/media/photo/2009-04/46092037.jpg

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Oline sucks and is preventing us from winning any games......water is wet, nothing new here folks.

While the offensive line sucks ass, it's not the only thing preventing the Chiefs from winning...

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
While the offensive line sucks ass, it's not the only thing preventing the Chiefs from winning...

http://craigduff.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/voodoo05.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2909415674_0ea04d75a6.jpg

http://friendsound.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/voodoo-rear.jpg

LaChapelle
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
A slow practice update day.