PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink American Royal BBQ Gets Some Love...

CosmicPal
10-08-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/events/a-weekend-at-the-american-royal-bbq-competition-098031

A Weekend At The American Royal BBQ Competition

One of the benefits to living in the Midwest is being able to witness the amazing skill and artistry that goes into the competitive art of smoking meats. Every October, fleets of vehicles pulling smokers of all shapes and sizes pour into our city and the year's best smelling party and competition takes place. This year we brought our camera so we could give you a tour.

Each year, the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS) holds its largest tournament right here in Kansas City, Missouri. The KCBS holds tournaments all over the country (although mainly in the Midwest) and this is the grand-daddy of them all! There are people from the far reaches of the country, all huddled together in tents, sleeping bags and lawn chairs, all with one thing on their mind... winning.

Although "The Royal" might seem to resemble a large camp for bearded men, it's actually quite the extravaganza. Starting on Friday and ending at sundown on Sunday afternoon, there's live entertainment, more food than you can shake a stick at, a ridiculous amount of alcohol (in which there's always women wearing not enough clothing... and Mardi Gras beads!), and all the pride and tradition in the world.

Most teams have shirts, stickers, banners, trailers, flags and more boasting their logos, reputations and trademark items. Many sleep on the ground on in their lawn chairs (when there's a spare minute for shut eye); others have modified trailers to make set up and clean up a little easier (although units can range into the hundreds of thousands of dollars!). The main goal - Turn in a product that's warm, memorable (in a good way) and on time! Most competitors are seasoned veterans and have been competing for years and years. There are home cooks, seasoned chefs, culinary students and those who just tag along for the ride.

We followed some of the prep and presentation of the Bro'sQ BBQ team and although there's a fair amount of photos in our tour, this small amount just can't do the experience justice. If you're interested in seeing more photos from the day, you can check out Flickr for more fun and excitement!

http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/photo/kitchn-american-royal/item/79758

KCUnited
10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I look forward to the American Royal every year. We had a great time Friday night with a couple different teams.

BTW, in the open competition, OK Joes finished 5th in pork, 30th in chicken, 60th in ribs, and 33 overall. That's out of 486 teams.

Reaper16
10-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I look forward to the American Royal every year. We had a great time Friday night with a couple different teams.

BTW, in the open competition, OK Joes finished 5th in pork, 30th in chicken, 60th in ribs, and 33 overall. That's out of 486 teams.

Their heart isn't into the competitions anymore; that's still a nice finish. Besides, restaurants & their teams should usually finish lower. Its a lot harder to turn out a bunch of consistent product day in and day out than it is to devote all your attention onto a few pieces for 14 hours.

KCUnited
10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Their heart isn't into the competitions anymore; that's still a nice finish. Besides, restaurants & their teams should usually finish lower. Its a lot harder to turn out a bunch of consistent product day in and day out than it is to devote all your attention onto a few pieces for 14 hours.
Agreed and several of the teams I spoke with that owned restaurants weren't competing with their restaurant fair. Its a nice plug for them though.

Reaper16
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Agreed and several of the teams I spoke with that owned restaurants weren't competing with their restaurant fair. Its a nice plug for them though.
Its a nicer plug for those that placed higher than OK Joes. ;)

RJ
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
That sounds like a blast, right up my alley. I'd love to get there some day.

Phobia
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Its a nicer plug for those that placed higher than OK Joes. ;)

I think much of the judging is completely arbitrary. For instance, I make my ribs the way I like them. My family and friends love them that way. Have had dozens of people tell me they were the best they ever had. But they would never do well in competition. I don't even like the consistency of ribs which score well in competition.

Reaper16
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I think much of the judging is completely arbitrary. For instance, I make my ribs the way I like them. My family and friends love them that way. Have had dozens of people tell me they were the best they ever had. But they would never do well in competition. I don't even like the consistency of ribs which score well in competition.
I'm KCBS certified and I think that many of my fellow certified judges have shitty palates. There are definitely certain flavor profiles and sauces that score better in these competitions.

Dartgod
10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
A good friend of mine placed 4th overall, with a 2nd in brisket and 7th in ribs. Some of you have met him before. If he hadn't gotten hosed on his pork (a couple of 25s when the rest of the scores were in the 30s), he would have been grand champion. Regardless, it was an impressive showing for a contest that big.

Saccopoo
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm KCBS certified and I think that many of my fellow certified judges have shitty palates. There are definitely certain flavor profiles and sauces that score better in these competitions.

Reaper, weren't you the one who suggested serving the meat with sauce in a competition due to this? I'm going to start my competitive BBQ journey next year and I'm actually working on my sauce tonight just to make sure that everything with said sauce is perfect.

I regret that when I lived in KC, I never went to the American Royal. Did go to the Lenexa BBQ fest every year though, but that was right down the street from my house.

Phobia
10-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Plus, who sauces ribs? If you need to sauce ribs you aren't doing something right.

Reaper16
10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Reaper, weren't you the one who suggested serving the meat with sauce in a competition due to this? I'm going to start my competitive BBQ journey next year and I'm actually working on my sauce tonight just to make sure that everything with said sauce is perfect.

I might have said that. It would definitely do you well in some smaller town competitions. And honestly, a lot of judges prefer a sweeter sauce. Its unfortunate. I don't want to miscast all the judges, though. There are plenty of people like me who understand BBQ.

Plus, who sauces ribs? If you need to sauce ribs you aren't doing something right.
I happen to agree with you. Great ribs do not need sauce. Great ribs aren't even helped by sauce, really.

boogblaster
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Luv that brisket ...

Demonpenz
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM

why the fuck would you NOT be certified LMAO

Reaper16
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
why the fuck would you NOT be certified LMAO
Heh, you know me. I come correct wit' it.

Demonpenz
10-08-2009, 10:37 PM
my friend (nerd) didn't believe me the q was so big down here. I was telling him how we were all certified (lied) and then I kept on sending him fake chain emails like

Thank you for becoming Certified BBQ eater. Welcome to the Q...beyond thunderdome

Reaper16
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
my friend (nerd) didn't believe me the q was so big down here. I was telling him how we were all certified (lied) and then I kept on sending him fake chain emails like

Thank you for becoming Certified BBQ eater. Welcome to the Q...beyond thunderdome
Your friend should have recognized that all those bbq competitions around the country are organized through the Kansas City Barbecue Society. We do not fuck around with this Q shit.