PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Getting chilly out, so I guess that means....

KCChiefsMan
10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
It's time to make some CHILI!!! I love this time of year, I always make a huge batch of chili when it first starts to get cold.

I'm off to the grocery store to get the ingredients. Before I go, anybody got any neat tips? I'm just going to use canned beans and tomatoes, a little lazy. Using ground turkey to make it a little bit healthier. This time I think I'm going to use some hot peppers, jalapenos are obvious and I will add a few habanero peppers as well. A bottle of a stout beer will go into it as well.

So besides that, anybody got any awesome ideas?

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I make chili year round. It's my daughters favorite food and I love it so we don't treat it as a seasonal thing.

bevischief
10-09-2009, 05:41 PM
A couple of hot dogs.

Friendo
10-09-2009, 05:49 PM
small amount of cider vinegar, dash of Worcestershire, mustard powder (prepared will do) minced garlic....onions--definitely onions!

rad
10-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Dang. I thought this thread would be about nipples.

ChiefsFanatic
10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
It's time to make some CHILI!!! I love this time of year, I always make a huge batch of chili when it first starts to get cold.

I'm off to the grocery store to get the ingredients. Before I go, anybody got any neat tips? I'm just going to use canned beans and tomatoes, a little lazy. Using ground turkey to make it a little bit healthier. This time I think I'm going to use some hot peppers, jalapenos are obvious and I will add a few habanero peppers as well. A bottle of a stout beer will go into it as well.

So besides that, anybody got any awesome ideas?

I cut up some white onions and sweet onions, then shred some colby, sharp cheddar, and cook bun length all beef hot dogs. Put two on a plate, cover with chili, then cover with cheese and onions, then a little bit more chili, and then eat.

Then later.................I pay the price......:spock:

Pioli Zombie
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Dang. I thought this thread would be about nipples.
This
Posted via Mobile Device

joesomebody
10-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Pulled BBQ pork makes an excellent black bean chili... And use a packet of taco seasoning instead of just chili powder.

JuicesFlowing
10-09-2009, 06:08 PM
The only time I made chili, I used several different styles of beans ... pinto, red, etc. I skimped on the tomatoes because I hate tomatoes.

RJ
10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Lots of ways to make chili. What is thought of as chili in the midwest wouldn't be recognized as such in New Mexico. But they're all good by me.

I made a nice batch last week using leftover smoked brisket. Chopped it up and simmered with a sauce I made from dried red New Mexico chiles.

For midwestern chili, I like to add some beer and beef broth. A little mexican oregano and maybe some dried pure chili powder add a nice touch.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Lots of ways to make chili. What is thought of as chili in the midwest wouldn't be recognized as such in New Mexico. But they're all good by me.

I made a nice batch last week using leftover smoked brisket. Chopped it up and simmered with a sauce I made from dried red New Mexico chiles.

For midwestern chili, I like to add some beer and beef broth. A little mexican oregano and maybe some dried pure chili powder add a nice touch.

I have never in my life made Chili. I know, I could be shot in 23 states for that. When I do, you'll probably be the guy that I PM.

RJ
10-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I have never in my life made Chili. I know, I could be shot in 23 states for that. When I do, you'll probably be the guy that I PM.

The most important question is "red or green?"......referring to chile, of course.

If you can't make up your mind, you just say "Christmas".

Mr. Flopnuts
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
The most important question is "red or green?"......referring to chile, of course.

If you can't make up your mind, you just say "Christmas".

I have never had green chili. That's probably where I would want to start.

sedated
10-09-2009, 06:51 PM
my chili cookoff is coming up, so my secrets stay with me.

stlchiefs
10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
post some recipes here guys. Random ingredients aren't helping me and you're making me hungry!

RJ
10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I have never had green chili. That's probably where I would want to start.

My favorite with green is green chile stew. I like mine with chicken, but pork or beef work well also. It's meat, broth, onion, garlic, potatoes and green chile simmered for a good long while and served with fresh tortillas. No finer meal on a cold winter day.

Skip Towne
10-09-2009, 06:58 PM
The best chili I ever had came from a little hole in the wall restaurant in Chanute Ks. The owner was a drunken former Army cook. He didn't put any form of tomatoes in it. A former employee said it was the recipe on the chili powder package but I never could duplicate it.

RJ
10-09-2009, 07:08 PM
post some recipes here guys. Random ingredients aren't helping me and you're making me hungry!

Here is a very traditional recipe for green chile stew with pork. There are as many recipes for this dish as there are new Mexican cooks, I suppose. I personally prefer chicken but I'd never turn my nose up at this.

Guisado de Chile Verde (Green Chile Stew)

Yield: 6 servings Cooking Time: Approximately
Temperature: Medium, Low 1 hour
Freezes Well

2 pounds pork or beef, cubed 3 cups tomatoes
1/4 cup flour 2 cups water
2 tablespoons shortening 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large onions, chopped 2 teaspoons salt
3 cups chopped green chile*

1. Dredge the meat in flour. Place the shortening in a heavy skillet
and brown meat at medium heat. Place meat in a large stewing pot.
2. Sauté the onions in the remaining shortening and add to
stewing pot.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to stewing pot and simmer at low
heat for 1 hour.

* Varied amounts may be used.

RJ
10-09-2009, 07:11 PM
This is a recipe for a basic red chili. It does not include meat or beans. It can be eaten as is, you can add meat and simmer until tender, or it can be used as a sauce for enchiladas, burritos, tamales.....hell, we like it on mashed potatoes.

Methods/steps

Arrange the chile pods on a baking pan and place in a 250-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chiles become very aromatic, being careful not to let them burn. Remove the stems and seeds and place the pods into a bowl.

Cover the chiles with very hot water and allow them to steep for 15 to 20 minutes to soften. Drain the chiles and discard the water.

In a heavy saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the chiles and a couple cups of water or broth and simmer for 10 minutes.

Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Strain the mixture, if desired, for a smoother sauce. If the sauce is too thin, place it back on the stove and simmer until it is reduced to the desired consistency, or if too thick, add more water or broth.

Adjust the seasonings and serve.

Chile Colorado (Basic Red Chile Sauce)
Description
The chiles that are traditionally used for this sauce are the ones pulled off the ristras or strings of dried chiles. Ristras are not just used for decoration--this is one method of sun drying or preserving the fall chile crop for use throughout the year. Use this sauce in a number of dishes, as a topping for enchiladas and tacos, as a basis for stews like posole, or any recipe that calls for a red sauce.
Ingredients
At a glance
Cuisine
New Mexican
Ingredient
Chile peppers
Cooking Method
Simmer
Heat Level
Chile
New Mexico Red
Meal/Course
Condiment
Makes
2 1/2 to 3 cups

10 to 12 dried red New Mexican chiles

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 to 3 cups beef broth (optional), or water

1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican preferred

Pinch of ground cumin

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=553&Itemid=126

RJ
10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
The best chili I ever had came from a little hole in the wall restaurant in Chanute Ks. The owner was a drunken former Army cook. He didn't put any form of tomatoes in it. A former employee said it was the recipe on the chili powder package but I never could duplicate it.

Was it just a sauce with meat?

Skip Towne
10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Was it just a sauce with meat?

Yes and a very few beans. It was good as chili or as cheese chili fries.

sedated
10-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I've gotten to the point I don't even like beans in chili anymore. When the sauce is tasty and the meat is tender, beans are kind of a distraction (if that makes sense).

BigMeatballDave
10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I love chili. Sweet and spicy. Loaded with meat. Also, absolutely NO Kidney beans. I fucking HATE kidney beans.

sedated
10-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I love chili. Sweet and spicy. Loaded with meat. Also, absolutely NO Kidney beans. I ****ing HATE kidney beans.

you would love mine. sweet at first, then a soft burn in the back of the mouth, stimulates every part of the mouth. and no fukn beans.

Fairplay
10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=RJ;6156590]
Pinch of ground cumin
QUOTE]

:eek:

Friendo
10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
both of RJ's sound good.

mine is more basic/traditional

1lb ground beef (73/27) sorry but fat is flava!
2 cans whole or half tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 yellow onion
light red kidney beans 1 can
Yellow mustard or powder--2 teasp
minced garlic 1 to 1.5 cloves
Worcestershire--2 tblspns
Cider Vinegar--2 tblsns (my uncles secret--helps bring out the flavor in many soups & stews)
ground black pepper
ground red pepper
chili powder
Diced Jalapenos

in skillet, brown beef & diced onions-save some raw onion for garnish
once browned, add all ingredients in a large sauce pan and cover over low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish with sour cream, diced onion & shredded cheddar.

Mecca
10-09-2009, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=RJ;6156590]
Pinch of ground cumin
QUOTE]

:eek:

He likes to get busy with the chili.

Fire Me Boy!
10-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Just a touch of cinnamon can really be great in chili.

JohninGpt
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I had a chili cheeseburger with spanish fries from Ron's in tulsa for lunch today.
Yuuummmmmie!

smittysbar
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I have won a couple of Chili contests with this recipe, It is very simple, but seems to be a hit.

2 lbs Ground beef
2 cans of chili beans
1 large can of tomato sauce
Tomato juice to get it to the consistency you desire
1 package of McCormicks Chilli seasoning
A little extra chili powder
2 Tbsp of sugar and I add a can of coke sometimes

When I cook the hamburger I put in garlic powder, Onion powder, Greeks, Salt, and ground red pepper.

I add some minced onions if I have one laying around

RJ
10-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Just a touch of cinnamon can really be great in chili.

I believe that's standard in Cincinnati chili, along with a touch of nutmeg. I don't think it's chili, but I do think it's damned good. And yes, I like it over spaghetti. The Cincinnati recipe is sort of Texas meets Morocco.

Skip Towne
10-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I had a chili cheeseburger with spanish fries from Ron's in tulsa for lunch today.
Yuuummmmmie!

I like Ron's chili but the meat is a little too coarse for my taste. Their fries are great. I go to the one that is just east of Garnett on 21st street.

stlchiefs
10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Now we're talking guys! Thanks for the recipes, I'm going to have to start trying these.

JohninGpt
10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I like Ron's chili but the meat is a little too coarse for my taste. Their fries are great. I go to the one that is just east of Garnett on 21st street.

I work at a supply house at 15th & Sheridan. There is one right on the corner. And, yes, fries cooked with onions and jalapenos are the greatest thing ever.

KCChiefsMan
10-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I kind of went a little crazy, sometimes less is more. But hopefully in this case that won't be the case

-big can of pinto beans
-big can of black beans
-4 serrano peppers
-4 jalepenos
-1 white onion
-4 cloves of garlic
-1 orange bell pepper
-dash of cider vinegar
-1 bottle of guiness
-2 packages of ground turkey
-paprika
-salt
-this mexican chili mix that I like
-a dash of soy
-2 big cans of diced tomatoes
-1 big can of tomato sauce
-1 little can of tomato paste
-a little bit of this awesome mustard that I ordered online from this place in california called Philippe's. I love it

I didn't realize that I was out of cumin, whoops...oh well, there's some in that chili mix

diced/chopped all of the veggies, browned the ground turkey, seasoned it with salt and pepper while cooking.

Now it's just going to simmer for a few hours while I sit here hungry and wait to eat it, at least I got 11 bottles of Guiness to keep me busy while I wait

oh, and I only took the seeds out of 2 of the jalepenoes, I like it hot! I was a little disappointed that they had no habeneros

RJ
10-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I work at a supply house at 15th & Sheridan. There is one right on the corner. And, yes, fries cooked with onions and jalapenos are the greatest thing ever.

Hell yeah, that sounds good. Down here, a local favorite in the Food That's not Good For You category is green chile cheese fries. Fries covered in a thick green chili sauce and melted nacho type cheese. Mmmmm good, just what the cardiologist ordered!

RJ
10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Sounds good, KCChiefsMan, let us know the results.

Fire Me Boy!
10-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I believe that's standard in Cincinnati chili, along with a touch of nutmeg. I don't think it's chili, but I do think it's damned good. And yes, I like it over spaghetti. The Cincinnati recipe is sort of Texas meets Morocco.

I don't do spaghetti or nutmeg, but cinnamon is a winner. I also like chipotle in my chili.

Buck
10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Damn that's gonna be some spicy chili brah.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
This thread is rather disconcerting for someone on a diet.

KCChiefsMan
10-10-2009, 02:37 AM
it was pretty good, just the right amount of heat.

Quesadilla Joe
10-10-2009, 03:22 AM
This stuff is damn good if you are to lazy to make a big batch of chili. Only takes 3 minutes in the microwave.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2zycrxj.jpg

They have another kind called firehouse that is a little bit spicier... I love this stuff.

chasedude
10-10-2009, 05:08 AM
MMMmmm Chili season!!

An ingredient most might find weird, but I like to add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder when I make a big pot. It adds a richness quite pleasing to the palate.

Stewie
10-10-2009, 05:22 AM
MMMmmm Chili season!!

An ingredient most might find weird, but I like to add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder when I make a big pot. It adds a richness quite pleasing to the palate.

I don't know if it's exactly the same, but a coworker's wife puts a bit of chocolate in her chili. He hasn't brought any in for us to sample but claims it's really good.

bevischief
10-10-2009, 06:43 AM
my chili cookoff is coming up, so my secrets stay with me.

Which one?

HonestChieffan
10-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Chili is best served over really great Tamales. We get tamales in Ft Worth once a year...usually buy 10 dozen cause we cannot find anyplace in KC that knows squat about making good tamales.

LaChapelle
10-10-2009, 07:30 AM
May your chili farts keep your balls warm and your ass from going numb.

Jack
10-10-2009, 07:39 AM
I kind of went a little crazy, sometimes less is more. But hopefully in this case that won't be the case

-big can of pinto beans
-big can of black beans
-4 serrano peppers
-4 jalepenos
-1 white onion
-4 cloves of garlic
-1 orange bell pepper
-dash of cider vinegar
-1 bottle of guiness
-2 packages of ground turkey
-paprika
-salt
-this mexican chili mix that I like
-a dash of soy
-2 big cans of diced tomatoes
-1 big can of tomato sauce
-1 little can of tomato paste
-a little bit of this awesome mustard that I ordered online from this place in california called Philippe's. I love it

I didn't realize that I was out of cumin, whoops...oh well, there's some in that chili mix

diced/chopped all of the veggies, browned the ground turkey, seasoned it with salt and pepper while cooking.

Now it's just going to simmer for a few hours while I sit here hungry and wait to eat it, at least I got 11 bottles of Guiness to keep me busy while I wait

oh, and I only took the seeds out of 2 of the jalepenoes, I like it hot! I was a little disappointed that they had no habeneros

I was about to suggest Guinness, it adds a dark taste that blends in with the chili.

Here is some additional suggestions:

1) Take the ground turkey out and feed it to the dog. Find some buffalo meat and cut it into big chunks, about 1 inch cubes. The buffalo allows you to simmer the chili much longer (the key to really great chili) and retains a better texture. Buffalo is (next to Elk) much lower in cholesterol than beef and even turkey.

2) about 30 minutes before it's done, put in some jalapeno jack cheese to "tighten" up the chili. If you are worried about the bad "C" then just omit it.

For those who want a real dark taste omit the Guiness and throw in a little unsweetened chocolate, not too much or it will overpower the mix.

Again, long slow simmering is the key to great chili.

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2009, 09:18 AM
both of RJ's sound good.

mine is more basic/traditional

1lb ground beef (73/27) sorry but fat is flava!
2 cans whole or half tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 yellow onion
light red kidney beans 1 can
Yellow mustard or powder--2 teasp
minced garlic 1 to 1.5 cloves
Worcestershire--2 tblspns
Cider Vinegar--2 tblsns (my uncles secret--helps bring out the flavor in many soups & stews)
ground black pepper
ground red pepper
chili powder
Diced Jalapenos

in skillet, brown beef & diced onions-save some raw onion for garnish
once browned, add all ingredients in a large sauce pan and cover over low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish with sour cream, diced onion & shredded cheddar.

Epic Fail!

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2009, 09:20 AM
This thread is rather disconcerting for someone on a diet.A bowl of Chili won't hurt you. Just don't eat the whole damn pot...

cabletech94
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
1) Take the ground turkey out and feed it to the dog.

Jack! That made me spit out coffee! And I don't drink coffee. REP!!

1ChiefsDan
10-10-2009, 10:54 AM
It is 19 here right now - I put a pot of chili on this morning.

Fire Me Boy!
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
86 and sunny here. Not chili weather yet.

Reerun_KC
10-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Just ate a bowl of Chili...

BigOlChiefsfan
10-10-2009, 09:23 PM
A few things I suggest - try one thing new now and then to see if you like the addition.

I use 2 parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork. Brown in small batches in a skillet and put the meat in a colander to drain the fat out. If I have venison, I go 3 parts deer to 2 parts pork - this is probably my favorite combo.

I use canned green chile most of the time, but try roasting a few poblano or anaheim chiles to see if you think the flavor is worth the grief.

I add a tiny bit of 'liquid smoke' to my chile before I put it to simmer. I read it may not be the most healthy thing on earth. I'm old, I don't really care anymore.

I usually brown a few onions in the beef/pork fat, and a head or two of garlic. When the onions are mostly done, add the garlic and cook w/a big pinch or 2 of cumin seed and fennel seed. Fennel tastes like 'italian sausage', I love it but it might not suit everyone

I like 'soupy' chile so I always add a mix of beef and chicken broth, and some beer or wine

I add a good pour of dark sesame oil to the chile pot before I serve the chile

If I have time to roast poblano, etc...I roast a couple of red bell peppers, too. If I don't have time to roast peppers I add a jar or 2 of roasted red peppers.

I usually don't put beans in the chile - only meat, broth, onions, peppers and spice. But I do warm up a can or two of beans in a separate pan, with a can of white hominy and some of the chile-broth. Ladle a big scoop of beans on a soup-plate and then top w/chile.

While I grew up on McCormick's I now use NuMex chile (various reds and greens) as well as a variety of ground chili from the local India and Thai grocers. I leave the small Thai chili whole and advise my non-chilehead amigos to pick 'em out.

Fire Me Boy!
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Seriously, the single best thing you can do for ANY chili recipe is use homemade chile powder. I became a believer the first time I took the effort to make it and tried it. Have made it a lot since then and will NEVER go back to pre-made chili powder. No way, no how.

Here's a simple and VERY GOOD recipe... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

smittysbar
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I have won a couple of Chili contests with this recipe, It is very simple, but seems to be a hit.

2 lbs Ground beef
2 cans of chili beans
1 large can of tomato sauce
Tomato juice to get it to the consistency you desire
1 package of McCormicks Chilli seasoning
A little extra chili powder
2 Tbsp of sugar and I add a can of coke sometimes

When I cook the hamburger I put in garlic powder, Onion powder, Greeks, Salt, and ground red pepper.

I add some minced onions if I have one laying around

Made this again tonight, big hit again. Warming it up tomorrow for the guys for fb, that's what I love about chili, keeps getting better the more you warm it up.

Jack
10-11-2009, 07:27 AM
A few things I suggest - try one thing new now and then to see if you like the addition.

I use 2 parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork. Brown in small batches in a skillet and put the meat in a colander to drain the fat out. If I have venison, I go 3 parts deer to 2 parts pork - this is probably my favorite combo.

I use canned green chile most of the time, but try roasting a few poblano or anaheim chiles to see if you think the flavor is worth the grief.

I add a tiny bit of 'liquid smoke' to my chile before I put it to simmer. I read it may not be the most healthy thing on earth. I'm old, I don't really care anymore.

I usually brown a few onions in the beef/pork fat, and a head or two of garlic. When the onions are mostly done, add the garlic and cook w/a big pinch or 2 of cumin seed and fennel seed. Fennel tastes like 'italian sausage', I love it but it might not suit everyone

I like 'soupy' chile so I always add a mix of beef and chicken broth, and some beer or wine

I add a good pour of dark sesame oil to the chile pot before I serve the chile

If I have time to roast poblano, etc...I roast a couple of red bell peppers, too. If I don't have time to roast peppers I add a jar or 2 of roasted red peppers.

I usually don't put beans in the chile - only meat, broth, onions, peppers and spice. But I do warm up a can or two of beans in a separate pan, with a can of white hominy and some of the chile-broth. Ladle a big scoop of beans on a soup-plate and then top w/chile.

While I grew up on McCormick's I now use NuMex chile (various reds and greens) as well as a variety of ground chili from the local India and Thai grocers. I leave the small Thai chili whole and advise my non-chilehead amigos to pick 'em out.

Some good suggestions.

I tried a pork/beef mix but the pork breaks down due to my penchant for long simmering of chili. Kind of like pulled pork chili and I didn't care for that too much.

This addition time I use in simmering the dish bodes well in permeating the meet with flavor. Reckon you could add the pork later, maybe I'll try that later.

I love the taste after refrigerating the dish, you are absolutely right, it just keeps getting better and better.