PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

BWillie
10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I have a stainless steel GE freezer-refrigerator side by side unit. It's about 6 years old I'd say. I've noticed the last four months there would be some minor frost problems in the freezer. Then I noticed that on the top shelf of the refrigerator things like eggs and some other perishable things would spoil faster. Finally some ice creme ended up being soft in freezer.

I put a thermometer in the freezer and it's about 25 degrees but towards the top it is only about 32. My ice maker doesn't even produce ice anymore, and when it was it would become stuck together. My refridgerator is about 43 degrees in the middle shelves and the top shelf is about 50 degrees.

There is frost-ice caked to the back wall of the freezer. I checked my coils and they look fine and not frozen up. Every place wants to charge me about 80 bucks diagnostic fee - but I'd like to get a ball park from a few repair places about how much it costs but nobody will give me anything to work w/ until they look at it.

Anybody have expertise? My reading on the internet seems to point me to something about the condenser.

Pitt Gorilla
10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Easy: antifreeze.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-10-2009, 03:12 PM
defrost your freezer and see if it helps

rad
10-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I think Frazod could take a shot at this.......

BWillie
10-10-2009, 03:16 PM
defrost your freezer and see if it helps

As far as I know I don't have a special defrost system. Unfortunately I don't have any where to put my refrigerator items anyway in the meantime. I have a digital dial that can change the temperature "9" being coldest and "1" being the warmest. I tried putting it down to "1" for the freezer and leaving the door open - then cleaning out all the caked ice but it still seems to have the same problem.

cdcox
10-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Your freezer is frost-free, right? The buildup of frost is a signal that your defrost cycle isn't working right. Maybe the frost is serving to insulate the cooling coils and preventing proper cooling in the freezer compartment.

Could be the defrost timing circuit or the defrost heater coil. Those are my bets.

Warrior5
10-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I think Frazod could take a shot at this.......

badump...CHING!

Rep.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-10-2009, 04:17 PM
From the symptoms your describing it's obviously the heating coil on the back. Turn it to OFF!

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I had the exact same symptoms with an older fridge at my rental property a few months ago. It ended up being the Defrost Timer but it could have been one of several things. I used this website and found the parts very cheap on eBay. http://forum.doityourself.com/kitchen-large-electric-appliances-1/
Good luck!