PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: It's almost the middle of October. Too early to start thinking about the draft

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
It's almost the middle of October. Too early to start thinking about the draft? (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1042)

Things I believe:

- The Chiefs have made progress in their first five games, all of which have been losses (and some of them ugly).
- It will benefit the team for having played three terrific teams -- Baltimore, the Giants and Philadelphia -- early in the season, as disheartening as those losses were.
- Matt Cassel has at least some of the skills necessary to be Kansas City's quarterback of the future, at least based on one stunningly impressive drive at the end of regulation Sunday.
- The Chiefs' remaining holes will hold back any significant progress until the team and general manager Scott Pioli have time to address them.

Think about that last one. That one nullifies the first three, and it makes everyone's job at Arrowhead Stadium a lot tougher than it should be. Here's one more thing I believe:

- The Chiefs will win no more than three games in 2009. That means that, for the third consecutive year, they'll probably have a top-five pick in the NFL draft.

So with that in mind, and the growing frustration among many of you, I have found myself looking past what will continue to be a season in which progress, and not necessary victories, is the objective. I have found myself looking toward next year's draft, when the Chiefs will have many chances to upgrade some positions that badly need them.

Not that the list starts and stops here, but here are the positions that I think the Chiefs absolutely must upgrade -- and have those upgrades work out, immediately -- in the draft, if not during free agency:

1. Offensive line
2. Wide receiver
3. Safety
4. Linebacker

Yeah, that's a lot. But the Chiefs will have lots of picks, including the additional second-rounder they received in exchange for Tony Gonzalez. That might not be an especially high pick, considering Atlanta looks pretty solid, but at this point, the Chiefs will take as many chances as they can get to improve a team that possesses more questionable position groups than reliable ones.

As usual, the question becomes this: If you have to choose, do you draft for need or for talent? This could be an issue next April. Safety is a need, sure, but it's not the top need. So, Tennessee safety Eric Berry at, say, No. 3, or reach for an offensive lineman? What about grabbing a star wide receiver with that top pick?

Some of you might disagree with this, but I think the Chiefs absolutely must -- as unsexy as it might be -- address their offensive line with the first pick. This should not be a debate, now or in the draft room. The Chiefs passed this year on signing a marquee lineman, and now they're paying for it. And it's not just that the line is suspect; a porous wall of blockers renders your running backs useless and your quarterback terrified. Neither Cassel, Larry Johnson nor Jamaal Charles will ever be as good as they could have been this season because of the weak offensive line they have blocking for them. That in turn puts more pressure on the Chiefs' wide receivers and, even on down the line, makes the defense's job tougher because the offense can't move the ball and give defenders a break. That happened against Baltimore, and it might have been the reason the Chiefs couldn't get a stop when they badly needed one. Also, Pioli was an offensive lineman in college. I'd have to think it's giving him recurring stomach cramps to watch the Chiefs' blockers.

It's in such turmoil that I think the Chiefs, who curiously waited until the fifth round to address their line, should use at least two of their top four picks on offensive linemen.

With the (first?) pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select ...

... Russell Okung, offensive tackle out of Oklahoma State. Look, the name might change. We'll keep Okung there for now as a placeholder. But the position should not change. And I'll admit it now: I argued against taking a tackle at No. 3 overall this year because of Branden Albert. But after watching Albert struggle at times this year, I think the Chiefs need to make tackle the priority of the offseason. Whether that means moving Albert to right tackle or keeping him at the left side, at least the Chiefs would have options. When Albert left the game Sunday against Dallas, I wondered on Twitter if Albert was the Chiefs' most valuable player. Not the team's MVP but rather valuable in the more literal sense: What the heck would the Chiefs do if he was lost for the season? There's just nobody -- and don't give me Wade Smith -- whom the Chiefs should trust at that position. This makes it a clear choice with the first pick.

I'd probably draft a wide receiver or safety with the Chiefs' second-rounder, or even consider taking the best available player. Nose tackle, linebacker, cornerback, running back -- whomever's there, sell me on him. The Chiefs have that many needs. But I have to tell you: I'm going into that pick thinking about a wideout or a safety to replace Mike Brown.

With the Gonzalez pick, which could be somewhere in the bottom third of the second round, I'm going guard. Mike Goff hasn't been the Chiefs' answer at right guard, and you can get a terrific guard in the third. Center, too. I just think that, as much a liability as the Chiefs' line has been, it requires this kind of emphasis. Now, I'd expect Pioli to address the line in free agency, too, but I'd prefer to sign receivers or linebackers* and address the offensive line in the draft. If I'm building for the future, I'm drafting my elite linemen instead of signing them.

* They'll need several of these; I'm beginning to consider Derrick Johnson's return, if he indeed becomes a free agent [the collective bargaining agreement makes this complicated, and I won't bore you with it here], is becoming an enormous long shot. Corey Mays and Demorrio Williams are decent, but they're not outstanding inside linebackers. Mike Vrabel is aging and might be slowing. But hey, the Chiefs have Tamba Hali! One out of four ain't bad.

So, if they follow my advice, as they did when trading for Matt Cassel but ignored when they passed on Aaron Curry, this is one way the Chiefs' line could look next season:

LT: Okung (or whomever is the best left tackle come draft day)
LG: Brian Waters (He's slowing down, but he's good for another season or two)
C: Rudy Niswanger
RG: Second-round pick
RT: Albert

Suddenly, that line doesn't look so bad, does it? And that automatically improves the play of the Chiefs' quarterback, running backs, receivers, defense -- everybody.

Yes, it's early. But it's not too early to consider how much better the Chiefs would have been in 2009 if they entered last offseason with an emphasis on improving the line.

They didn't, and the Chiefs are suffering. I don't believe it'll get better in Kansas City until the line undergoes a massive overhaul.

The Franchise
10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Albert is not a RT........JFC.

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM

You do have to wonder when Albert will get out of this funk.

DaWolf
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
LMAO, people will not be happy if we stay status quo at center...

The Franchise
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
You don't have to draft an OT in the top 5 to immediately fix your offensive line.

Logan Mankins is going to be a FA next year. The Pats can't afford to resign both him and Wilfork. You throw the cash at Mankins and you plug him in at RG (or LG depending on if Waters is still around).

We should come out of the first three rounds with:

Berry or Mays
A TRUE pass-rushing OLB.
A new starting OC.
A TRUE #2 WR

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 12:59 PM

I swear, people just assume that offensive linemen can play anywhere.

In the pros, he's a LT. Period.

He's not big enough, nor a talented enough run blocker to play inside against DT's/NT's and he's not the road grader necessary at RT either.

The Franchise
10-13-2009, 01:00 PM

He's not big enough, nor a talented enough run blocker to play inside against DT's/NT's and he's not the road grader necessary at RT either.

Plus...it'd be really smart to just move the kid around every year to a new position. Hell.....let's try him at WR next year.

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
LMAO, people will not be happy if we stay status quo at center...

I honestly think that while he may not be a long term solution, Wade Smith would be a drastic improvement over Niswanger, and Alleman would be the same at RG replacing Goff.

The Franchise
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I honestly think that while he may not be a long term solution, Wade Smith would be a drastic improvement over Niswanger, and Alleman would be the same at RG replacing Goff.

What about Ndukwe at RG? The dude started 15 games for the Dolphins in the RG spot last year....and wasn't horrible.

Albert - Waters - Smith - Ndukwe - O'Callaghan

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
What about Ndukwe at RG? The dude started 15 games for the Dolphins in the RG spot last year....and wasn't horrible.

Albert - Waters - Smith - Ndukwe - O'Callaghan

I'd be fine with that as well, but I doubt Haley is. The guy has been inactive 2 weeks in a row, while dressing only 7 linemen.

AustinChief
10-13-2009, 01:15 PM

HUH??? He is plenty big enough to play LG... but you are correct in saying that he is not a RT... you have two spots for him, LT or LG end of story.

If he continues to struggle, I have no problem moving him to LG...

I would rather not use a high draft pick to replace him though.

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
HUH??? He is plenty big enough to play LG... but you are correct in saying that he is not a RT... you have two spots for him, LT or LG end of story.

Respectfully disagree.

He'll get abused by DT's and NT's - he's not heavy enough, IMO and he's not a good enough run blocker.

The Franchise
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Respectfully disagree.

He'll get abused by DT's and NT's - he's not heavy enough, IMO and he's not a good enough run blocker.

Especially with his new weightloss.

AustinChief
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Respectfully disagree.

He's the same size as Alan Faneca. He may be lacking a mean streak (I have no clue on this)... but there are PLENTY of probowl LGs (past and present) that had roughly his size.

REGARDLESS, it is ridiculous that Babb wants to move him to RT... apparently our team is so bad that we don't even warrant good reporting anymore.

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
If Albert can't make it as a LT in KC, KC would be best changing their blocking system or getting rid of him. Albert moves well. If you go back and watch his highlights at Virginia they would pull him all the time and he had the feet/speed to get downfield to the second level. He was not a mauler. In the NFL he will likely not be a mauler. As an interior lineman I think he would only succeed in a zone blocking scheme or scheme similar to what Vermeil used.

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
He's the same size as Alan Faneca. He may be lacking a mean streak (I have no clue on this)... but there are PLENTY of probowl LGs (past and present) that had roughly his size.

REGARDLESS, it is ridiculous that Babb wants to move him to RT... apparently our team is so bad that we don't even warrant good reporting anymore.

Faneca is an EXCELLENT run blocker, and uses his leverage appropriately.

Albert is more a finesse player, which is why he projected to LT in the pros.

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
If Albert can't make it as a LT in KC, KC would be best changing their blocking system or getting rid of him. Albert moves well. If you go back and watch his highlights at Virginia they would pull him all the time and he had the feet/speed to get downfield to the second level. He was not a mauler. In the NFL he will likely not be a mauler. As an interior lineman I think he would only succeed in a zone blocking scheme or scheme similar to what Vermeil used.

This, and that's BEST case scenario, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
10-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Wade Smith needs to be on the field, IMO.

Center or right tackle.

Just get him on the field, Haley.

KChiefs1
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
You have to draft the best player available with the 1st round pick...

beach tribe
10-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Yep. I think he will be our LG sooner or later.

beach tribe
10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Wade Smith needs to be on the field, IMO.

Center or right tackle.

Just get him on the field, Haley.

Agree with this too. I think he would be a huge upgrade over Goff, who seems to be completely
worthless.

I know that's not C or RT, but I would have no problem with him there either. Put Rudy at RG.... or not.

eazyb81
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Looking past the 1st, I'd love to grab Eric Norwood with our #2A pick if he drops. We desperately need a pass rushing OLB to make this defense at least decent. He's a tad undersized but a smart D coordinator could utilize him in a number of looks.

Okung's potential is through the roof, but he has been off and on this year when I've seen him. I guess we could take him and move Albert to guard....wouldn't be ideal but it could work, and that combo would most certainly be better than any combo that includes Goff.

The Bad Guy
10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't care what upgrades we make, if Niswanger is starting, they won't matter.

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Looking past the 1st, I'd love to grab Eric Norwood with our #2A pick if he drops. We desperately need a pass rushing OLB to make this defense at least decent. He's a tad undersized but a smart D coordinator could utilize him in a number of looks.

Well, fuck. Close the book on Norwood.

eazyb81
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, ****. Close the book on Norwood.

Yeah, that's the kicker..... :shake:

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
So lets draft OL in a deep defense year, gotta love the Chiefs they always do shit backwards.

AustinChief
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Not saying we should.... but IF we take an LT with our top pick ...
I see this as our line...

drafted LT-Albert-Waters-Mankins-O'Callaghan

I am fine with this... BUT would still be pissed if we passed over a proven playmaker to get here.

I would rather have a Mays or Berry any day of the week

DaneMcCloud
10-13-2009, 02:32 PM
So lets draft OL in a deep defense year, gotta love the Chiefs they always do shit backwards.

Ah, they'll just use the fifth rounder they got for Thigpen on the offensive line.

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Ah, they'll just use the fifth rounder they got for Thigpen on the offensive line.

Probably on Tim Barnes or Kurtis Gregory from Mizzou.

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Probably on Tim Barnes or Kurtis Gregory from Mizzou.

ROFL

:doh!:

DaneMcCloud
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Two problems with this: Mankins is a guard and has started at left guard every game since being drafted. Why would he move to the right side?

Second: In what is likely to be an uncapped year, he'd be under contract next year, thus unavailable.

And finally, why would he leave New England for Kansas City?

AustinChief
10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Two problems with this: Mankins is a guard and has started at left guard every game since being drafted. Why would he move to the right side?

Second: In what is likely to be an uncapped year, he'd be under contract next year, thus unavailable.

And finally, why would he leave New England for Kansas City?

#1 He would move cuz we told him to!
#2 yep, the whole theory is shot if the year is uncapped.
#3 $$$ we have the money to pay him

DaneMcCloud
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM
#1 He would move cuz we told him to!
#2 yep, the whole theory is shot if the year is uncapped.
#3 $$$ we have the money to pay him

LMAO

And what do you do about our 5th rounder from 2009, Colin Brown?

Isn't he the right guard of the future?

Once he's off IR, that is...

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Okung's potential is through the roof, but he has been off and on this year when I've seen him. I guess we could take him and move Albert to guard....wouldn't be ideal but it could work, and that combo would most certainly be better than any combo that includes Goff.

Norwood is one of the few guys who has stood out to me as being a game changer. He'll slip because of his size and his workout numbers won't be earth shattering, but you'll get a hell of a football player. Just like Laurinaitis and Maualuga slipping this past year.

58kcfan89
10-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't care what upgrades we make, if Niswanger is starting, they won't matter.

This.

And if we have a top 5 pick, we'll also have a top 5 pick in the 2nd round. Albert will hopefully break out of this slump so we can take a S, WR, etc. with the top pick, then a RT with the 2nd pick.

If Albert proves that he can't play LT (please, football gods, help him play there), then it's definitely worth looking at a LT with the top pick. But I'm not completely off the Albert bandwagon yet.

Saccopoo
10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
LT: Russ Okung
LG: Albert
C: Kris O'Dowd
RG: Brown
RT: Zane Beadles or Ciron Black

And because we are going to trade Dorsey and Hali for 2nd rounders, plus some additional 4th and 6th round picks, and DJ for a 3rd, we we also get:

Eric Norwood and Dennis Pitta.

Greatest draft ever!

Halfcan
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Lots of picks?? We had lots this year too-lol

kcchiefsus
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
You don't have to draft an OT in the top 5 to immediately fix your offensive line.

Logan Mankins is going to be a FA next year. The Pats can't afford to resign both him and Wilfork. You throw the cash at Mankins and you plug him in at RG (or LG depending on if Waters is still around).

We should come out of the first three rounds with:

Berry or Mays
A TRUE pass-rushing OLB.
A new starting OC.
A TRUE #2 WR

The problem is, until proven otherwise, I do not see this team getting into a bidding war for a player the caliber of Mankins. All this team has proven in recent history is that they are too cheap to go out there and compete for free agents.

Also, if the CBA is allowed to expire we are NOT going to be able to depend on free agency at all to bring in some talent.

RustShack
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I honestly can't see the NFL going capped no matter what the owners are saying right now. They will keep delaying the offseason until a new CBA is worked out, and a rookie cap is inplace.

kcchiefsus
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Not big enough? That is complete bullshit. Not every guard is some big road grader. Albert is about 305 or so right now I think but he came into the NFL at 315 and as well all know he ballooned up too 340 in the offseason. Size is not an issue with him, he can carry additional weight if he needs to.

Do you think Eric Steinbach is a huge road grader? Hell no. Doesn't mean he isn't a damn good guard.

RustShack
10-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Albert is #1 a LG, #2 LT. I also don't think there is a LT in this years draft worth replacing Albert though.

RealSNR
10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
San Diego went through a similar dry spell of Oline depth many years ago. They addressed it all in one draft by spending lots of picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds on Olinemen. That seems to be the sweet spot for most drafts, where you can get the best prospects for the best value when it comes to the offensive line. GENERALLY. Obviously it varies from draft to draft, but at least you're not spending a first rounder on a friggin LT in a weak offensive line draft.

We NEED a playmaker, wherever that is. If it's Eric Berry/Taylor Mays in the 1st, then that's the way it has to be.

tonyetony
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM

I am fine with this... BUT would still be pissed if we passed over a proven playmaker to get here.

I would rather have a Mays or Berry any day of the week

That would be an upgrade if Waters panned out at center. If he didn't pan out I hope to god Niswager isn't our insurance policy.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Waters played some center at the beginning of his career and he is just barely making it at left guard right now. I wonder if we could be better served with his experience at center.

LT - Drafted i presume
LG - Albert (if he keeps whiffing on this outside rushers :shake: )
C - Waters (niswanger is weak and waters should be good at the line calls)
RG - Allerman (it was him in for Goff that looked decent against the Cowgirls iirc)
RT - Callaghan (he's not terrible so far, can he keep improving?)

start with this, but still draft good Olineman when you can.

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 07:37 PM
For anyone who thinks Albert can play guard in the NFL, did you watch him in college? Did you see how he was used? He does NOT fit the type of OL that Haley appears to be building. If he plays inside it would have to be similar to what Vermeil ran. Smaller/finesse players like Weigman could excel in it, but when asked to maul they couldn't. It isn't a matter of just putting him inside because he played inside at Virginia.

Mecca
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
For anyone who thinks Albert can play guard in the NFL, did you watch him in college? Did you see how he was used? He does NOT fit the type of OL that Haley appears to be building. If he plays inside it would have to be similar to what Vermeil ran. Smaller/finesse players like Weigman could excel in it, but when asked to maul they couldn't. It isn't a matter of just putting him inside because he played inside at Virginia.

So are you saying if he can't play at LT Todd Haley is to stubborn to put a player in the best position to succeed?

Mr. Laz
10-13-2009, 07:40 PM
So just cut his worthless ass and move on

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
So are you saying if he can't play at LT Todd Haley is to stubborn to put a player in the best position to succeed?

You don't build your philosophy and system around a single player.

Mecca
10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
You don't build your philosophy and system around a single player.

I've heard many coaches say you put players in the best position to succeed by playing to their strengths. I heard Saunders talk about this numerous times in relation to the Chiefs OL and how they played differently with Holmes than LJ..

If you're telling me a coach is so set in his ways that he can't play to what his players do well that is a major problem.

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 07:44 PM
So just cut his worthless ass and move on

Did I say cut him? Did I say he can't cut it at LT? You can't simply plug people into different systems and think they can handle it. As great of a QB that Joe Montana was, he wouldn't have won all those rings if he was asked to run the system Peyton Manning runs.

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I've heard many coaches say you put players in the best position to succeed by playing to their strengths. I heard Saunders talk about this numerous times in relation to the Chiefs OL and how they played differently with Holmes than LJ..

If you're telling me a coach is so set in his ways that he can't play to what his players do well that is a major problem.

How do you know Albert is "his" player?

Mecca
10-13-2009, 07:46 PM
How do you know Albert is "his" player?

He's on the team he's coaching right?

If you ask players to do things they can't do, that makes you a shitty coach.

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
He's on the team he's coaching right?

If you ask players to do things they can't do, that makes you a shitty coach.

Just because he's on the team this year doesn't mean he's Haley's player.

I don't even know what you are arguing at this point. I said he doesn't fit as a interior lineman on a mauling type team.

Assuming he can't cut it at left tackle, are you suggesting Haley design a system specifically around Albert so he succeeds at left guard and isn't a wasted draft pick?

Was Vermeil supposed to change the entire offense around to suit Larry Johnson when he was drafted? If Timmons doesn't develop well for Pittsburgh, should the Steelers scratch their system to build around Timmons?

Mecca
10-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Why would a team that wants mauling lineman want all their guys to lose weight?

That makes no god damn sense.

Chiefnj2
10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Why would a team that wants mauling lineman want all their guys to lose weight?

That makes no god damn sense.

Stamina? Muscle/fat?

We aren't running a zone scheme or asking them to pull and move a lot are we?

milkman
10-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Babb is a fucking moron.

He wanted to trade for Cassel and draft curry last year, and this year he'd pass on a playmaker and take a spread LT?

Let's go ahead and give up on Albert.

I sure hope Cleveland gives up on Joe Thomas also.

JFC

Simply Red
10-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Did i ever tell you ty for your rapid response on my FFB question 3 weeks ago? Anyway, 'big-ups'

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Babb is a ****ing moron.

He wanted to trade for Cassel and draft curry last year, and this year he'd pass on a playmaker and take a spread LT?

Let's go ahead and give up on Albert.

I sure hope Cleveland gives up on Joe Thomas also.

JFC

If Cleveland wants to trade us Joe Thomas, I would put Albert's butt at guard then. It would be about the only way I would do it though.

Easy 6
10-13-2009, 09:28 PM

Count me in.

DumbHillbillies
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
This article is a fail. I hope babb doesn't have any inside information on the chiefs potential draft decisions. No way we should draft okung, it doesn't make sense to move albert and too high of a pick for a RT. I'm still wondering why albert looks so crappy this season and he was solid last year. That baffles me. Too bad we reached on jackson last year, suh actually looks like he is worth a top 3 pick. So, we can't go d-line with the first pick. My vote is mays or berry, whoever grades out higher. The more decisions pioli makes the more confirmation i get that belichek/mcdaniels were the real brains behind the patriots way.

Hoover
10-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Albert - Waters - 2nd Rd Pick - Ndukwe - 2nd Rd Pick

My first round pick is either a safety or LB, in the third I'd look at LB, or WR.

Saccopoo
10-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Okung.

Playmaker blah, blah, blah.

If your QB is getting killed, no amount of "playmaker" on defense is going to help you. Fucking retarded to even think that. Drafting Okung gives the Chiefs two players on the offensive line as Albert moves to LG with that pick, and as such give Cassel a decent offensive line to play behind. Well, at least better than what they have.

A safety pick is a luxury pick. It is less than the ILB position, less than a rush end, less than a RT, and substantially less than a LT.

It would be super-sweet if the Chiefs had the luxury of drafting a good safety like Mays or Berry with that first pick. However, they don't. They have to and will draft the best offensive lineman with their first round pick. Period.

Get used to it now. Embrace it. Live in the moment.

'Cause it's going to happen.

milkman
10-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Okung.

Playmaker blah, blah, blah.

If your QB is getting killed, no amount of "playmaker" on defense is going to help you. ****ing retarded to even think that. Drafting Okung gives the Chiefs two players on the offensive line as Albert moves to LG with that pick, and as such give Cassel a decent offensive line to play behind. Well, at least better than what they have.

A safety pick is a luxury pick. It is less than the ILB position, less than a rush end, less than a RT, and substantially less than a LT.

It would be super-sweet if the Chiefs had the luxury of drafting a good safety like Mays or Berry with that first pick. However, they don't. They have to and will draft the best offensive lineman with their first round pick. Period.

Get used to it now. Embrace it. Live in the moment.

'Cause it's going to happen.

Even if I agreed with you, that we should draft a LT in the first, which I don't, I'd fully expect you to be wrong.

Looking at the Patriots draft history, combined with what Pioli did last year with the Chiefs draft, I highly doubt thathe'll spend a pick that high on the O-Line.

Pioli Zombie
10-14-2009, 06:26 AM
The Chiefs have as much talent as the 1986 Denver Broncos - Tribal Warfare.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare
10-14-2009, 07:25 AM
The Chiefs have as much talent as the 1986 Denver Broncos - Tribal Warfare.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never said that, stop putting words in my mouth