PDA

View Full Version : Football Gruden a wanted man

LaChapelle
10-14-2009, 09:17 PM
10/14: I don't get the Gruden love. Ex-head coaches will be knocking down MNF's door

Rotoworld:
Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wants Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden to be his next head coach, according to the Washington Examiner.

Snyder reportedly began considering replacements for Jim Zorn after the Skins' Week 3 loss to Detroit, and prefers Gruden to Mike Shanahan because Shanny wants full personnel control. Gruden has not been contacted by Snyder, and no permanent coach is likely to be named until the offseason. Should Zorn get a pink slip before or during the team's Week 8 bye as expected, OL coach Joe Bugel and special teams coordinator Danny Smith are obvious in-house interim candidates. Oct. 13 - 11:01 am et
Source: Washington Examiner

PFT: Louisville

Report: Louisville wants Gruden
Posted by Mike Florio on October 14, 2009 10:36 PM ET
The University of Louisville currently has a head coach. But, like many football programs that are struggling, consideration reportedly is being given to the identity of the next head coach, in the event that the current head coach gets the boot.

According to Michael Lombardi of NFL Network, the powers-that-be at Louisville have put former Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden at the top of their wish list.

But with all due respect to the powers-that-be at Louisville, why in the hell do they think that Gruden would want the job? Gruden's only connection to the school is that his brother, Jay, played there from 1985 through 1988. Besides, Louisville is currently a mid-level Big East program. If Gruden were to dip his toe into the college waters, he'd go to the Big Ten or the SEC or Notre Dame.

Besides, Gruden has a damn good job right now with ESPN's Monday Night Football, and Gruden will be on the "A" list for NFL jobs until he decides to take one.

So while Gruden might indeed be the first man Louisville targets, they'd might as well add Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, and Vince Lombardi to the list, too. All men have an equal chance, in our view, of becoming the next head coach of the Cardinals.

The bigger question is whether Gruden will jump into the January 2010 game of musical chairs at the NFL level. His success as an analyst flows from his passion for the game, and that passion will cause him to take his trademark scowl and "Super Fans" accent back to the sidelines, eventually.

But he'll likely wait for the right opportunity. And unless Louisville plans to offer eight figures annually, we can't imagine Gruden settling for that specific job

chiefzilla1501
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Gruden's an awesome coach and I really admire that even after he was done coaching, he was still doing a lot of research on different schemes.

He was just in Tampa too long. Many coaches don't do well when they're in the same place too long.

ChiefsCountry
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I hope not, Chucky is darn good on MNF.

PS I wouldnt knock Louisville - UPS, KFC, Papa John's they got cash to get Chucky.

bowener
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I hope not, Chucky is darn good on MNF.

PS I wouldnt knock Louisville - UPS, KFC, Papa John's they got cash to get Chucky.

And one of the largest KKK compounds if I remember reading correctly.

alanm
10-15-2009, 12:17 AM
If I were Gruden I'd stay far away from the Washington job. Unless Snyder backs up to his house with a dump truck full of cash. That way when he's fired by Snyder he'll be a few million dollars richer. :)

Thig Lyfe
10-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think I'd leave a relatively comfy booth job for the pressure-filled grind of being a head coach, especially the way Gruden does it. Doesn't he get up at 4 AM every day to review the playbook or some shit?

Saccopoo
10-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Gruden is the new Madden. In twenty years it will be the All-Gruden team, Gruden 2029 Football for the XBox 7200, etc.

There isn't enough money for someone like Gruden to coach the Redskins. Synder is a wang.

Mile High Mania
10-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Gruden's an awesome coach and I really admire that even after he was done coaching, he was still doing a lot of research on different schemes.

He was just in Tampa too long. Many coaches don't do well when they're in the same place too long.

Too long? He was only there for 7 years... he took Dungy's team to the SB and won it (sorta like Switzer taking over for Jerry, but it took him two seasons I believe). Then after the SB, the 7 and 5 wins before having an 11 win season... then they finished with 9 wins twice.

I guess he's an ok coach, love his passion... but I don't know that he would be above Cowher, Shanahan, Billick on my list.

Hoover
10-15-2009, 07:20 AM
and someone took his raiders team to the super bowl and lost it.

what's your point again?

Mile High Mania
10-15-2009, 07:29 AM

what's your point again?

Well, I guess my point is... he didn't build that team to be a SB winner, he jumped in at the right time. Callahan came in (similar situation, didn't build it) they went to the big dance and Gannon fell apart. Good for Gruden I guess.

Mile High Mania
10-15-2009, 07:37 AM
If Snyder were smart... at the end of the season, he would hire one of these 'big name' coaches and have an understanding with him (esp a guy like Shanahan or another that may want more control) that he's hiring Wade Phillips to run the defense.

Wade is out of his element as a HC and he will be out of Dallas next season, there's just no way that he stays... and if a team with talent can get him as the DC, that's huge.

alpha_omega
10-15-2009, 07:51 AM
I for one, hope he stays where he is. He is excellent on MNF.

DMAC
10-15-2009, 07:55 AM
I for one, hope he stays where he is. He is excellent on MNF.Yes. They need to do whatever they can to keep him.

TEX
10-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Gruden's a class act. He's not even gonna talk to anyone until the present coaches are fired.

Demonpenz
10-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Rumors of george lopez going to the booth after gruden leaves

DaWolf
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Gruden is an outstanding HC. He just needs to make sure he'd have a good personnel guy in charge if he takes another job, because he needs to be held in check with some of his personnel moves. He's also not a guy who wants to develop a young QB, he needs an established vet running his team.

I think Washington would be a bad fit for Gruden, although Gruden might not think so because he likes to sign big names and so does Snyder. That's just not how you build a team though...

Mr. Laz
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
I fully expect Snyder to fire Zorn early so that he can go after one of these big name head coaches that will be available for next year.

Param
10-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Just thinking of some of the coaches under Snyder. Spurrier came from college. Gibbs came back after a long hiatus. Zorn is a first time head coach.

Why not go out and get an established coach who's won the big one already? Fire Zorn before the season is over and go grab a guy who's won it.

Brock
10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Gruden should wait for a better job to come along. You know you're going to overruled on everything when you work for a dickhead like Snyder.

philfree
10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I for one, hope he stays where he is. He is excellent on MNF.

I agree. And if there's any truth to the Lopez thing the people who are running MNF should be shot. Why do they think we watch football? To listen to comedians of course. Not!

PhilFree:arrow:

LaChapelle
11-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Report: Bills had "back channel" communications only with Gruden

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2009 5:09 PM ET

Last night, WIVB-TV in Buffalo reported that the Bills' first choice to replace coach Dick Jauron was former Bucs and Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

But while the initial report indicated that a face-to-face meeting occurred with Gruden, WIVB now reports that there were only "back channel" communications with a source close to Gruden.

The thrust of the report is unchanged, however. The Bills wanted Gruden, and Gruden wasn't interested.

WIVB also reports that the Bills will have "informal conversations" with potential candidates in the coming weeks, but that no hire will be made until after the season.

As a practical matter, no hire can be made until after the season. An interim coach already has been named, and it would be unconvential to the point of awkward to bring in an outsider to take the reins through the end of the season -- and then to conduct a Rooney Rule-compliant search from scratch after the season, with the outside hire suddenly a mere candidate for the job for which he already has been hired.

Coincidentally, Peter King of NBC reported during halftime of Saturday's UConn-Notre Dame game that the presumed top choice of the job, Mike Shanahan, won't make any decisions until after the season, either.

King also pointed out that it's possible owner Ralph Wilson will "blow up" the organization, cleaning house and starting from scratch with new leadership of the entire football operation.

BossChief
11-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Gruden re-signed to stay on tv for the next few years from what Ive read.

TEX
11-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd take Gruden over Haley any day.

Pioli Zombie
11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Gruden is the new Madden. In twenty years it will be the All-Gruden team, Gruden 2029 Football for the XBox 7200, etc.

There isn't enough money for someone like Gruden to coach the Redskins. Synder is a wang.
Exactly. An annoying, loud, captain obvious who appeals to the morons. He will be the new most popular network football analyst by next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Id take a monkey over Haley.
Posted via Mobile Device

kcxiv
11-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Id take a monkey over Haley.
Posted via Mobile Device

we already had one, and i hated it worse then haley. At lesat we know Haley cares. I wanted to punch Herm everytime he had that stupid grin on his face.

chiefs1111
11-21-2009, 06:34 PM
The Bills should hire Herm Edwards too be their next head coach. He is a proven winner and his clock management skills can't be beat.

Gonzo
11-21-2009, 08:46 PM

I'd never watch the Chiefs again if this happened. You really think Chuckie would do better with the "talent" we have? Shit, the only way he could win anything was with a inherited team that had several probowlers. Give Haley a chance for fucks sake, what players do we really have?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
11-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Gruden wanted a man? He's gay?

Gonzo
11-21-2009, 08:53 PM

Yes...
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
11-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd never watch the Chiefs again if this happened. You really think Chuckie would do better with the "talent" we have? Shit, the only way he could win anything was with a inherited team that had several probowlers. Give Haley a chance for ****s sake, what players do we really have?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not a fan of Gruden's philosophy, but inherited team he won with, won against a team he built in the SB.

milkman
11-21-2009, 08:58 PM

I see your reading is about as good as your writing.

Gonzo
11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not a fan of Gruden's philosophy, but inherited team he won with, won against a team he built in the SB.

True... However, his replacement wasn't exactly a coaching mastermind.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
11-21-2009, 09:01 PM
True... However, his replacement wasn't exactly a coaching mastermind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which makes the team he built all the more remarkable.

Gravedigger
11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Gruden will always be the guy who won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungee's guys, while another person who couldn't cut it at Nebraska, took John Gruden's guys to the Super Bowl to face him.

Personally I put more credit in the Raiders Defense and Rich Gannon then I do in Jon Gruden or Bill Callahan.

Frankie
11-22-2009, 01:04 AM
If I were Gruden I'd stay far away from the Washington job.

He wants the Notre Dame HC job anyway.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 02:50 AM

I think you nailed it; he's the new "passionate guy"-former coach on the mic.

I wouldn't want him as a pro coach because,

a) I don't think he lies about talent he believes in, and

b) He thinks Tebow is a bonifide, NFL-ready QB, ready to go SUPERNOVA ON TEH WORLD!

Application:

DENIED!

Over-Head
11-22-2009, 05:56 AM

what's your point again?
That someone couldn't have organized a 2 car funeral. And he's where now? Gru built the Raiders, and had any other them meet them that year we'd have had a 4th ring thanks to Gruden.
He knew EXACTLY how to pick us apart that day.
All Calahan did was take Chuckies team and ride it to an AFC Championship, then piss away his own job
One of the MANY thiings i'd love to kill AD over is losing Chuckie.
He's arguably one of the BEST coaches to have played in the last 15 years.
If not one of the best ever.