PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs When will the Chiefs' first victory happen?-Bill Williamson

philfree
10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
When will the Chiefs' first victory happen?

October 16, 2009 3:10 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Thanks to the 2008 Detroit Lions, the idea of a team finishing the NFL season 0-16 is no longer shocking and unbelievable.

While the Lions are the mayors of Loserville, no one wants to join them on the 0-16 list.

Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire
There are still some winnable games on the schedule for Todd Haley and the Chiefs.

Yet, the Kansas City Chiefs are about a third of the way there. The Chiefs are 0-5 after blowing a game against Dallas on Sunday. In Week 2, Kansas City blew a game late to Oakland.

The Chiefs have not learned to finish the job under first-year head coach Todd Haley. That was the problem with former coach Herm Edwards and it was one of the reasons he was fired. The Chiefs won two games last season and they blew several games late. The Chiefs have lost nine straight games dating back to last season and 28 of their last 30.

The Chiefs cannot shake their losing culture. They can’t run the ball, convert on third down or stop anyone.

I truly don’t believe the Chiefs -- one of four winless teams remaining -- will go winless. Given their inability to finish games, though, a winless season has to be considered a possibility.

The following is a look at the remaining 11 games on Kansas City’s schedule and whether the Chiefs can win:

Oct.18 at Washington

Current record: 2-3
Chance of Chiefs winning: 30 percent
How can the Chiefs win? They have to hope the pressure on Redskins coach Jim Zorn and the reported in-fighting continue to disrupt Washington on offense.
Oct. 25 vs. San Diego

Current record: 2-2
Chance of Chiefs winning: 20 percent
How can the Chiefs win? The Chiefs will have to hope the Chargers are in a total downward spiral after a loss to Denver on Monday night. If the Chargers beat the Broncos, I think they will start rolling.
Nov. 8 at Jacksonville

Current record: 2-3
Chance of Chiefs winning: 30 percent
How can the Chiefs win? This could be one of the Chiefs’ best chances on the road. If Kansas City stays in this game in the second half, it could be in business.
Nov. 15 at Oakland

Current record: 1-4
Chance of Chiefs winning: 50 percent
How can the Chiefs win? Finish the Raiders off. Kansas City ran all over the Raiders in Week 2, but they blew the game late. If the Chiefs can overpower Oakland again, they should win.
Nov. 22 vs. Pittsburgh

Current record: 3-2
Chance of Chiefs winning: 15 percent
How can the Chiefs win? The Steelers will have to make several mistakes on both sides of the ball and lose their focus to fall to Kansas City.
Nov. 29 at San Diego

Current record: 2-2
How can the Chiefs win? If the Chiefs are going to beat San Diego, it likely will be at Arrowhead Stadium in the first meeting.
Dec. 6 vs. Denver

Current record: 5-0
Chance of Chiefs winning: 10 percent
How can the Chiefs win? If Denver doesn’t suffer any major injuries and continues to play as balanced as it has been, the Chiefs will be in trouble.
Dec.13 vs. Buffalo

Chance of Chiefs winning: 55 percent
How can the Chiefs win? This is one of the reasons I don’t think the Chiefs will go 0-16. In fact, this could be Kansas City’s third win. By the time these two teams meet, the Bills likely will be a bigger mess than the Chiefs.
Dec. 20 vs. Cleveland

Chance of Chiefs winning: 60 percent
How can the Chiefs win? If the Chiefs are still winless at this point, they better do everything they can to win this one because it might be their last realistic chance.
Dec. 27 at Cincinnati

Current record: 4-1
How can the Chiefs win? The Bengals could be in the playoff hunt, so they might be playing for their postseason lives.
Jan.3 at Denver

Current record: 5-0
Chance of Chiefs winning: 5
How can the Chiefs win? The only way Kansas City can win this game is if the Broncos use backups because they've already secured the playoff berth they want

PhilFree:arrow:

boogblaster
10-16-2009, 06:08 PM
This week is the start ... hopefully .. they have improved alitt' ........................

JuicesFlowing
10-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Only 30% against Washington? Hmmm .. okay.

Gadzooks
10-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Bronco Billy's a douche. He's always had a raging boner for the Donks and any opinion piece he does about any of AFC West teams is useless since his opinion is so skewed. :rolleyes:

Mile High Mania
10-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Bronco Billy's a douche. He's always had a raging boner for the Donks and any opinion piece he does about any of AFC West teams is useless since his opinion is so skewed. :rolleyes:

I don't even think he likes Denver that much, but he is a douche... I agree.

2bikemike
10-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I am hoping that if the Chiefs can beat Washington it may just put a little swagger in their step which would dramatically improve their chances against San Diego. Win 2 in a row and I could realistically see us winning 4 or 5 games this season.

If we lose to Washington I wouldn't be surprised if the only 2 winners will be against the Bills and Browns or maybe the Raiders and Browns. I really don't think we will go winless.

Reerun_KC
10-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Well we have been very close on 3 of our 5 games...

they will come...

philfree
10-17-2009, 07:45 AM
I am hoping that if the Chiefs can beat Washington it may just put a little swagger in their step which would dramatically improve their chances against San Diego. Win 2 in a row and I could realistically see us winning 4 or 5 games this season.

If we lose to Washington I wouldn't be surprised if the only 2 winners will be against the Bills and Browns or maybe the Raiders and Browns. I really don't think we will go winless.

I think we're close but I'm trying real hard not to think thoughts like "in a row". Well except 5 loses in a row.

PhilFree:arrow: