PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Bowe's performance reminiscent of last season

Tribal Warfare
10-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Bowe's performance reminiscent of last season (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1515719.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

LANDOVER, Md. | For the first time this season, Dwayne Bowe had a familiar look to him. He had six receptions and went over 100 yards for the first time since the season-ending game in Cincinnati last year.

Bowe supplied several big plays, with none more important than his 32-yard catch and run late in the game that allowed the Chiefs to rest easy near the end of their 14-6 win over Washington on Sunday.

Afterward, he didn’t sound much like the Bowe of old. This Bowe was far more humble.

“There’s no more old D. Bowe,” he said, indicating his days of often excessive self-promotion are over. “It’s time to build a new D. Bowe. There was nothing wrong with the old D. Bowe, but this is a new D. Bowe.”

As always with Bowe, there was some bad with the good. He dropped some passes, he missed a block on a play that otherwise would have been a touchdown for Matt Cassel and he went out of bounds on his 32-yard gain when the Chiefs wanted to keep the clock moving.

The encouraging part to the Chiefs was that Bowe was aware of it all.

“I left a lot of plays out there,” he said. “I was pressing, trying to make a big play. Even on that 32-yard slant, I should have stayed inbounds. I’ve got to be a smarter player in situations like that.”

Bowe has been a reclamation project for Chiefs coach Todd Haley since Bowe showed up overweight for the start of offseason workouts. Bowe was even demoted for a time during preseason, and Haley tried to get him to work harder and take his job more seriously.

Bowe said he’s gotten the point and is happy for the attention — however negative — Haley has given him. But he insisted the creation of a new Bowe is his own idea and not Haley’s.

“This is what I want,” he said. “But coach Haley is trying to get greatness out of me and I understand it now, so that’s what I’m trying to do. It’s all showing out on the field.

“He knows what it takes. He built (Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald) up to be as great as he is, and he’s trying to do that with me. I see it and I know it and I’m trying to get there.”

It hadn’t shown itself on the field until Sunday. In the first five games, Bowe had three touchdowns and only twice caught as many as five passes in a game.

But this was the first time he clearly asserted himself as Cassel’s favorite receiver.

“All week we had a great week of practice,” Bowe said. “He kept telling me, ‘I’m going to come to you so be looking out.’ ”

Reaper16
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Bowe's performances have been fine, Teicher. He just hasn't been the target of enough passes to jump out on the stat sheet.

Hammock Parties
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
That's what I like to hear from Bowe. He dropped three passes he absolutely has to catch.

DeezNutz
10-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Solid responses from Bowe here.

Feed that man the fucking ball, please.

The_Doctor10
10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Smile everybody. Things are starting to turn for you.

Reaper16
10-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Smile everybody. Things are starting to turn for you.
Shut the fuck up.

HIChief
10-19-2009, 12:19 AM
“He knows what it takes. He built (Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald) up to be as great as he is, and he’s trying to do that with me. I see it and I know it and I’m trying to get there.”
”[/QUOTE]

The only way Bowe becomes GREAT is by not trying to be great. Just make the catches, RACs, and down field blocks, and the noteriety will follow. As a Chiefs fan, I want our players to put the team over personal ambition. Just look at Washington. There's a team loaded with Pro Bowl talent, but they didn't play together like a team, and it made all the difference in the final outcome.

Micjones
10-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Bowe realizing his full potential DOES help this team.

I don't want him to press, but I do want him to strive for that greatness.
He's on his way. Just needs more consistency.

I hope Cassel remembers to get him involved more...early.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM
The Chiefs won the game, but with Bowe's mental lapses.... they could have easily lost.

I am happy he recognizes this. It is frustrating as a fan to see such great talent plagued with purely mental mistakes.

PhillyChiefFan
10-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Bowe dropped a surefire 1st down, short of that he played a great game yesterday. Almost had the td in the 4th qtr.

I think Cassel needs to find a groove with his receivers, some of the timing was off. I believe it was a pass to Bobby Wade where Wade either broke outside too late or Cassel fired too early, but if they get their timing down, I believe they will start coming into their own.

InChiefsHeaven
10-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Didn't get to see the 2nd half, but a common theme is still that after he passes the ball, Cassel can be seen picking himself up off the turf. That could possibly maybe have something to do with his timing with receivers...just sayin'...

Groves
10-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't want him to press, but I do want him to strive for that greatness.

Press>strive apparently.

I need a linguistic depth chart.

TheGuardian
10-19-2009, 07:55 AM
“But coach Haley is trying to get greatness out of me and I understand it now, so that’s what I’m trying to do. It’s all showing out on the field.

This is BS.

i have read from smart MF'ers who post at CP that Haley alienates players and is a total dickwad, hated by virtually every player on the team. That his tactics don't work, and that eventually the team will revolt and burn his house down.

CaliforniaChief
10-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Why do people refer to themselves in the third person?

California Chief is glad to see D Bowe strive for greatness.

Reerun_KC
10-19-2009, 08:05 AM
This is BS.

i have read from smart MF'ers who post at CP that Haley alienates players and is a total dickwad, hated by virtually every player on the team. That his tactics don't work, and that eventually the team will revolt and burn his house down.

I agree, Haley is losing this team /chiefsplanet doom and gloom club...

Buehler445
10-19-2009, 08:13 AM

Feed that man the fucking ball, please.

This. Holy fuck this. Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Give Bowe the ball please.
Posted via Mobile Device

Extra Point
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Calling a time out to chew Bowe's ass wasn't that productive, was it? Probably emphasized the importance of putting the ball in the side line hand so he could stiff arm a defender, a point he probably missed in preseason. How timely.

Haley got his first win. Yay. Two more, and the exponential improvement can be enjoyed by all.

Bob Dole
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Why do people refer to themselves in the third person?

Bob Dole keeps wondering the same thing.

Reerun_KC
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM
This. Holy **** this. Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Posted via Mobile Device

so you would like to see them throw the ball to Bowe some more?

I am alittle confused on what getting at...

Buehler445
10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
so you would like to see them throw the ball to Bowe some more?

I am alittle confused on what getting at...

I haven't had enough coffee yet today, but I'm pretty sure that's what I was after.

That or I was trying to say that I like boobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
i think they should try more jump balls to him down the field. i trust him to atleast knock it down

Mr. Laz
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Teicher: Bowe's performance reminiscent of last season
because he dropped 1 out of 3?

The Franchise
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
This. Holy fuck this. Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly....my FF team is begging you Haley!