PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs buzz: Win comes without two starters

Tribal Warfare
10-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Chiefs buzz: Win comes without two starters (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1515870.html)

Starting lineup shuffled

The Chiefs were without two starters Sunday, forcing them to play with yet another combination on the offensive line and without one of their most reliable defensive backs.

As expected, left tackle Branden Albert did not play because of an ankle injury and didn’t travel to Washington. Wade Smith started in Albert’s place. Second-year tackle Barry Richardson, who was activated from the practice squad Saturday, did not play.

Free safety Jarrad Page, who suffered a shoulder injury last week, traveled to Washington but was listed as inactive. Jon McGraw started in Page’s place and got his first career sack.

LJ’s best of the season

Larry Johnson ran for a season-high 83 yards in 23 carries. While the Chiefs weren’t able to carve out consistent room for Johnson’s runs, he was able to spring four gains of 10 yards or more.

“It felt good to go out make runs that were over 5, 6, 7, 8 yards out there,” Johnson said.

Former Chiefs QB can’t rescue Washington

Todd Collins looked for a time as if he would help Washington pull out a victory. Collins, a former Chiefs quarterback, replaced the ineffective Jason Campbell at the start of the second half with Washington behind 3-0.

His first pass went for 42 yards to Santana Moss, and Collins led his team to field goals on each of his two possessions.

But Washington didn’t score again.

Collins was unaware whether he or Campbell would start next week’s game against Philadelphia.

“I have no idea,” said Collins, a backup for the Chiefs from 1998 through 2005. “Coach just said he was looking for a spark in the second half. I’m sure he hasn’t made his decision yet.”

Edwards plays fullback

Chiefs nose tackle Ron Edwards took a turn for one snap as a blocker. He paved the way for Mike Cox to gain 2 yards on fourth and 1 in the first quarter,

The 315-pound Edwards flattened a defender for Cox.

“It’s something we’ve been working on,” Edwards said. “I was just looking for the first (white jersey) I saw. I was supposed to take him out. That’s the whole idea of having me out there.”

Big run for Portis

Washington running back Clinton Portis always seems to manage a big run against the Chiefs. He had a tough day except for a 78-yard run in the third quarter.

That was a career high for Portis. His previous best was a 65-yard run against the Chiefs in 2003.

While with Denver in 2003, Portis rushed for 218 yards and five touchdowns. Afterward, he felt compelled to raise a boxing title belt on the sideline, signifying he had beaten the NFL’s reigning heavyweight runner, Priest Holmes.

This and that

•Outside linebacker Mike Vrabel’s fumble recovery (above) was the eighth of his career and first this season.

•The Chiefs have won five consecutive games against Washington. That’s Kansas City’s longest active winning streak against any team.

•The Chiefs’ defense allowed six points Sunday, the fewest since shutting out San Francisco in October 2006. They allowed seven first downs, the fewest since holding San Diego to six in September 1998.

•Cornerback Brandon Flowers’ interception as time expired in the first half was his second pick of the season and fourth in his two-year career.

•Outside linebacker Tamba Hali got his third sack of the season when he tackled Todd Collins in the end zone. It was Hali’s first career safety and the Chiefs’ first since blocking a punt against Pittsburgh in October 2001.

•Punter Dustin Colquitt passed Louie Aguilar as the team’s all-time leader in punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line. Colquitt stuck three punts inside Washington’s 20 on Sunday, and he has done it 117 times in his five-year career.

•Matt Cassel hasn’t thrown an interception since Sept. 20 against Oakland. He has attempted 133 consecutive passes without a pick.

jAZ
10-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Matt Cassel hasn’t thrown an interception since Sept. 20 against Oakland. He has attempted 133 consecutive passes without a pick.

Sanchez 5 interceptions, 10 completions.

Saccopoo
10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Colquitt is in his fifth season? That seems like more than it should to me.

I hope he gets a Pro Bowl for his efforts this season. He's been absoluely amazing. Once we start building up the talent, and the special teams get stocked, we'll be able to take better advantage of his skills.

FloridaMan88
10-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Colquitt is in his fifth season? That seems like more than it should to me.

I hope he gets a Pro Bowl for his efforts this season. He's been absoluely amazing. Once we start building up the talent, and the special teams get stocked, we'll be able to take better advantage of his skills.

Punting for Herm will tend to boost your punting #'s