PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Next Chiefs LB: Pats cut Banta-Cain

dirk digler
10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
:D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

A day after the Patriots created a widespread case of head scratching by deactivating linebacker Adalius Thomas, the Pats have sent fingers back to scalps throughout the football-watching world by cutting linebacker Tully Banta-Cain.

Per a league source, the Pats cuts the veteran defender on Monday.

"New England cutting him doesn't make sense," the source said. "He was playing pretty well for them."

Banta-Cain was drafted by the Patriots in 2003. He signed with the 49ers in 2007. San Fran cut him in February 2009, and he re-signed a week later with the Patriots.

He appeared in all six regular-season games, starting twice.

Because the trade deadline has not passed, Banta-Cain will not pass through waivers. However, he'll be entitled to collect the remainder of his $620,000 base salary as termination pay, even if he signs with another team.

Marco Polo
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Good replacement for DJ?

OnTheWarpath15
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
LMAO

Micjones
10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Banta-Cain would actually be a good signing.

He can get after the QB. He's got 3 sacks this year.
Please and thank you.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
This can't be true.

Mike Florio's reporting.

99.9% false.

kepp
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Isn't he a starter for them?

The Franchise
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Honestly....fucking sign him. Just cut Goff FFS!

Spicy McHaggis
10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd take Banta-Cain.

Huffman83
10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Cool but...wouldn't he just take Hali's spot? Good depth though!!

The Bad Guy
10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Every time i watched a Pats game this year, dude made a play.

I have no idea what it's all about.

insidenation
10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
nice turnaround for DJ

seaofred
10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Have we signed him yet?

Huffman83
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Seems like no other media outlets have any news of it. Interesting rumor though.

OnTheWarpath15
10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Seems like no other media outlets have any news of it. Interesting rumor though.

Rumor?

The Dallas Morning News is reporting it as fact.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/tully-banta-cain-do-anything-for-you.html

New England has cut outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain, making him available to the league a day before the trade deadline.

Banta-Cain has 3-4 experience. He has three sacks, which is more than any Cowboy so far. He can play either side in the 3-4. And did we mention he has three sacks already?

The Cowboys clearly do not trust rookie Victor Butler in base defense situations yet, despite his two-sack effort vs. Carolina. Banta-Cain is experienced enough to make a switch from the Patriots' 3-4 to the Phillips' 3-4.

Finding pressure players is a must for this defense. The Cowboys have 10 sacks so far this year and had 14 sacks through the first five games last year when they eventually put up a league-high 59.

Huffman83
10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Interesting....Wikipedia says he was released. And we know how accurate that can be!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tully_Banta-Cain

Here's some stats

Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2003 NWE 9 11 9 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0
2004 NWE 16 28 18 10 1 1.5 0 0 1 4 0
2005 NWE 13 9 6 3 0 0.5 0 0 0 0 0
2006 NWE 16 43 31 12 0 5.5 1 0 0 0 0
2007 SFO 16 41 30 11 2 3.5 0 0 0 0 0
2008 SFO 12 18 12 6 0 0.5 0 0 0 0 0
2009 NWE 6 13 10 3 1 3.0 0 0 0 0 0
Career 88 163 116 47 4 15.5 1 0 1 4 0

Huffman83
10-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Rumor?

The Dallas Morning News is reporting it as fact.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/tully-banta-cain-do-anything-for-you.html

Fuck them...they're from Dallas.

dirk digler
10-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Too bad for the Cowboys we are ahead of them on the waiver wire :D

The Franchise
10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Too bad for the Cowboys we are ahead of them on the waiver wire :D

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to clear waivers. He's just a FA...he can sign anywhere.

OnTheWarpath15
10-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to clear waivers. He's just a FA...he can sign anywhere.

This.

dirk digler
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM

Oops and duh it states it right there in the article.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Banta-Cain would actually be a good signing.

He can get after the QB. He's got 3 sacks this year.
Please and thank you.
This ... i wanted us to draft him in the first place.

philfree
10-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Every time i watched a Pats game this year, dude made a play.

I have no idea what it's all about.

Makes me think there's an underlying reason. It makes no sense unless he's in some trouble or something.

PhilFree:arrow:

Mr. Laz
10-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I doubt we sign him ... Pioli will call and say "what's up" and whatever Banta-Cain did to piss Belichek off will be enough for us not to want him. :(

doomy3
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd take him for sure.

philfree
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I doubt we sign him ... Pioli will call and say "what's up" and whatever Banta-Cain did to piss Belichek off will be enough for us not to want him. :(

Maybe it's a Willy Roaf vs Joe Horn scenario.

LaChapelle
10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
KFFL: Patriots | Banta-Cain released
Comment (0)
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:20:14 -0700

The Boston Herald reports the New England Patriots released LB Tully Banta-Cain Monday, Oct. 19, according to The Dallas Morning News.

ILikeBigTiddys
10-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Oops and duh it states it right there in the article.

I never read what you type. That dang avatar

KChiefs1
10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Adam Schefter now reporting via Twitter:
Pats released LB Tully Banta-Cain.

RealSNR
10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't give a shit if the Patriots cut their entire defense. Sign them all. They're better than we fucking got.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
This would be a great signing. He could usher Vrabel's broke dick off the field.

Micjones
10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
If there was any former New England player to bring in besides Matt Cassel TBC is your man.

You wasted time on castoffs Scotty... Get this DONE!

milkman
10-19-2009, 06:31 PM
This would be a great signing. He could usher Vrabel's broke dick off the field.

Put him out there at ROLB and move Hali to the left side.

Sure-Oz
10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
If there was any former New England player to bring in besides Matt Cassel TBC is your man.

You wasted time on castoffs Scotty... Get this DONE!

I'm sure he won't

KCrockaholic
10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
This would be awesome! We need to quit sitting around and sign his ass!

Amnorix
10-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Patriots Nation is completely confused. We're all thinking there is some kind of story behind this that we don't know about.

Rausch
10-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Patriots Nation is completely confused. We're all thinking there is some kind of story behind this that we don't know about.

Pat's speak for "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Enjoy! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

BigChiefFan
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
The Tank Tyler trade definitely gives a roster spot. He could be the heir apparent to Vrabel.

Amnorix
10-19-2009, 08:20 PM
One possibility, somewhat remote but who knows, is that this is just some kind of roster manipulation move. Banta-Cain was on a veteran minimum contract for just one year, so cutting him or keeping him doesn't affect the cap one bit.

Which is part of why cutting him makes no sense. It's not like we get cap savings, or he was our worst LB or anything.

Basically, this could be some kind of weird roster move, or it could have something to do with extending him (there's a rule about giving someone a raise within one year of signing them to a contract, but maybe cutting him and making him technically available to the rest of the NFL makes that not a problem?) or he basically spit in BB's eye somehow and really, REALLY pissed him off.

:shrug:

philfree
10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Banta-Cain released by PatriotsComment Email Print Share By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
Bill Belichick's decision to go back to a 3-4 defense is apparently causing some roster adjustments at linebacker.

According to a source, the New England Patriots released veteran linebacker Tully Banta-Cain -- a 2003 seventh-round pick whom the Patriots brought in during the offseason -- in a surprise move Monday. On Sunday, Belichick de-activated linebacker Adalius Thomas, who was healthy but apparently not needed in the 3-4 scheme Belichick used in beating the Titans 59-0.

Last week, the Patriots re-signed 40-year-old Junior Seau to be a key backup for the 3-4 defense.

Banta-Cain, 29, spent his first four NFL seasons with the Patriots, mostly as a backup. He had five starts in 2006, which helped him secure a free-agent contract with the 49ers. Banta-Cain had 10 starts for the 49ers in 2007 but was a backup last season. After he was released by the 49ers this offseason, the Patriots gave him a chance to come back to New Engtland.

He started two games for the Patriots this season and had 13 total tackles.

It is also possible that the team could re-sign him in the near future.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Amnorix
10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
The thinking is this must clear the way for the Pats to sign him to a multi-year deal that includes a raise this year.

They extended Aiken (a ST guru) recently, and they're heading into their bye week after this week, which is a week in which they traditionally get a fair bit of contract stuff done.

Nothing else makes much sense, really.

Here's hoping we extend big Vince Wilfork. :grovel:

Easy 6
10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Cain is Able!

Cain Brings the Pain!

Boom! Tough Actin Banta-Cain!

...no?

Banta-Cain tha Main Stain!

Tully wont be Sullied!

The Cain Mutiny!

Micjones
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
He would CLEARLY be the best defensive player we signed since the new administration took office.

BigChiefFan
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
The thinking is this must clear the way for the Pats to sign him to a multi-year deal that includes a raise this year.

They extended Aiken (a ST guru) recently, and they're heading into their bye week after this week, which is a week in which they traditionally get a fair bit of contract stuff done.

I'm hopeful Wilfork wants to walk from the Pats and become a Chief.;)

Just Passin' By
10-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Patriots fans can relax:

So hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan had to ask him. Um, were you cut? Banta-Cain started laughing.

“Yeah, I don’t know…” he said. “There’s some stuff going on in terms of the roster. I got to see what’s up with that situation.”

They ask him, Was it with the understanding that you’d been brought back?

“Yes,” he said, quietly

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/

Unless TBC is out of the loop, this is one of those "54 man roster" moves that teams make.

Easy 6
10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm hopeful Wilfork wants to walk from the Pats and become a Chief.;)

I'm all for it, but...i want Vince to go through extensive lab work & tests with Stephen Hawking, Barnaby Jones, Spock & General Hospital before committing too much big dough to him.

But if he's available, physically sound & motivated by the challenge of not going to/helping rebuild a team thats not a powerhouse, to say the least, make it work Pioli...ya f*** ya.

Guys like Ted Washington were able to have a big impact well into their 30's.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-19-2009, 09:14 PM
is it basically a foregone conclusion that the chiefs will sign him? i would say there is at least a 95% chance that this happens.

Easy 6
10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
is it basically a foregone conclusion that the chiefs will sign him? i would say there is at least a 95% chance that this happens.

The Pats draft and/or free agency period will prolly tell us most of the story.

Unless, and Dream a 'lil Dream, just what if this is why we got rid of Tank?...wait...yeah, i'm dreaming.

88TG88
10-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Is he signed yet ?

Quesadilla Joe
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Adam Schefter (https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)Well, that didn't last long. One day after releasing him, the Patriots resigned LB Tully Banta-Cain

Amnorix
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Darn, beat me to it by 3 minutes. :D

JD10367
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Pats cut both LBs TBC and Eric Alexander, apparently to end their 1-year deals and re-sign them to a multiyear deal which somehow makes things financially better for the Pats. Move along, nothing to see here.

No way Tully leaves New England. He had his best days there. He knows their system works for him. He's a role player, and he plays that role well. He's learned his lesson about going to a losing team. No way he moves to a Cleveland, as some rumors are saying.

Alexander sucks, no one wants him.

As for Adalius, he's been a major disappointment, but he makes too much money and no one will be stupid enough to take him off our hands, unfortunately.

InChiefsHeaven
10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I liked him in the cantina scene in Star Wars...

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Adam Schefter (https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)Well, that didn't last long. One day after releasing him, the Patriots resigned LB Tully Banta-Cain

WTF

Amnorix
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
WTF

Presumably signed to a long term extension.

Pats are likely doing the same with Eric Alexander.

Meanwhile, Pats extended their ST captain, Aiken, to a two year deal as well. Alot going on in Patriotland.

Amnorix
10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Some analysis:

Making sense of moves (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/10/making_sense_of.html)

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/10/making_sense_of.html)|Comments () (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/10/making_sense_of.html?comments=all#addComm) Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff October 20, 2009 01:32 PM
Analysis
The transactions have been coming fast and furious from Foxborough over the last two days, with the Patriots releasing outside linebacker/defensive end Tully Banta-Cain (whom it re-signed today according to a report by ESPN's Adam Schefter report) on Monday and wide receiver Joey Galloway, tight end Michael Matthews and linebacker Eric Alexander today.
There is a method to the Patriots' madness in the flood of activity.
Both Banta-Cain and Alexander, who is also reportedly going to be re-signed, were playing under one-year contracts that qualified as "minimum salary benefit" deals under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.
Such deals can't be renegotiated or extended in any manner, according to the CBA. So, to lock up both players to longer term deals the Patriots had to release them.
Minimum salary benefit deals apply to players with four or more credited NFL seasons, who sign for the league minimum salary based on their years of service and then get no more than an additional $50,000 in compensation from the team.
That was the case for Banta-Cain, in his seventh year, and Alexander, a fifth-year player, both of whom prior to being released were on one-year contracts with $620,000 base salaries (the minimum for NFL players who entered 2009 with four to six years of experience under their belt) and then had roster and workout bonuses that totaled an additional $50,000.
The benefit belongs to the team. In both cases, Banta-Cain and Alexander had cap charges that were only equal to the minimum salary of a player with two credited seasons prior to 2009, which is $460,000.
By extending both players their cap charges will actually go up. The same goes for wide receiver Sam Aiken, who signed a two-year contract extension on Monday. Aiken's base salary for 2009 went up from $645,000 to $1.16 million.
The reason for releasing Banta-Cain and Alexander within the last 24 hours is that once the NFL's trading deadline, which is today at 4 p.m, passes, all released players are subject to waivers until Feb. 1.
Up until the deadline, players with four or more seasons of service are not subject to the waiver system.
So, the Patriots had to release Banta-Cain and Alexander if they wanted to sign them to new deals, but wanted to do so without exposing them to waivers, where another team could claim them.
It's actually a very shrewd move.
As for the releases of Galloway and Michael Matthews, those seem to be personnel-based decisions that could potentially clear roster spots for offensive tackle Mark LeVoir, who is eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list today and start practicing with the team, and rookie wide receiver Brandon Tate, who is eligible to come off the non-football injury list and began practicing today.
Both players had to sit out the first six weeks of the season on their respect reserve lists until they could begin practicing. Once they start practicing, the Patriots have 21 days to add them to the active roster or put them on season-ending reserve.
With Matt Light's right knee injury, the Patriots only had two tackles active for last week's game against the Tennessee Titans, so it's a good bet that LeVoir, who has been out since the start of camp with a shoulder injury, could be active this week against Tampa Bay.
Galloway had been inactive in the last three games and had clearly lost the trust of both quarterback Tom Brady and the coaching staff.
His nearly $1.8 million salary ($1.15 million base salary, $600,000 signing bonus) was guaranteed when he was on the roster for the season-opener.
The Patriots showed the 37-year-old Galloway respect by releasing him prior to the 4 p.m. deadline and sparing him from the waiver process.
The Patriots could still make a trade before the 4 p.m. deadline and have the open roster spots of Galloway and Matthews to accommodate a player.

JD10367
10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
"The benefit belongs to the team. In both cases, Banta-Cain and Alexander had cap charges that were only equal to the minimum salary of a player with two credited seasons prior to 2009, which is $460,000.
By extending both players their cap charges will actually go up. The same goes for wide receiver Sam Aiken, who signed a two-year contract extension on Monday. Aiken's base salary for 2009 went up from $645,000 to $1.16 million. "

I don't get it. If their cap hit went up, how is that a benefit to the team?

Amnorix
10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
"The benefit belongs to the team. In both cases, Banta-Cain and Alexander had cap charges that were only equal to the minimum salary of a player with two credited seasons prior to 2009, which is $460,000.
By extending both players their cap charges will actually go up. The same goes for wide receiver Sam Aiken, who signed a two-year contract extension on Monday. Aiken's base salary for 2009 went up from $645,000 to $1.16 million. "

I don't get it. If their cap hit went up, how is that a benefit to the team?

Poorly written by the author. Their cap hit did go up. I think the "benefit belongs to the team" part is referring to the "benefit" of having a veteran minimum contract, the benefit of which is having a lower cap hit than the actual amount of the salary paid to the player.

In ripping up their deals, the Patriots lose that benefit, getting charged the full cap hit of their now-not-veteran-minimum salaries.

JD10367
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Poorly written by the author. Their cap hit did go up. I think the "benefit belongs to the team" part is referring to the "benefit" of having a veteran minimum contract, the benefit of which is having a lower cap hit than the actual amount of the salary paid to the player.

In ripping up their deals, the Patriots lose that benefit, getting charged the full cap hit of their now-not-veteran-minimum salaries.

So why would they do this? Because they feel TBC and Alexander are too valuable to let walk after the one-year deals expire? :shrug: I guess with TBC it can't hurt to keep him around. Alexander, not so much. But I guess they figured they have cap room now so why not, I dunno...

Simply Red
10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
have we even made any trades?!

Amnorix
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
So why would they do this? Because they feel TBC and Alexander are too valuable to let walk after the one-year deals expire? :shrug: I guess with TBC it can't hurt to keep him around. Alexander, not so much. But I guess they figured they have cap room now so why not, I dunno...

Because they'd rather lock them up now than risk that they walk in free agency, or that it costs more to sign them to a long term deal after the season is over.

You seem very down on Alexander. You get that he's on a number of the special teams formations in addition to being at least a semi-serviceable linebacker, right? I mean, Larry Izzo was great on STs but every time he was in there at LB, it seemed they scored a TD on him. I mean EVERY tiem. I remember Willie McGinest flipping out on him one time after a TD was allowed.

Aiken is our ST captain, but Alexander is a core ST guy too, I believe.

Amnorix
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
have we even made any trades?!

If "we" means Pats, then no.

If "we" means Chiefs, I have no idea.