PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs transcript TH Q&A 10/19

LaChapelle
10-19-2009, 10:17 PM
(posting because I'm glad I read this)

Features
Todd Haley Press Conference - 10/19
Oct 19, 2009, 6:16:27 PM

TODD HALEY: “After looking at the tape I was very encouraged with a lot of areas with our team yesterday. As I said going in, it was our fourth NFC East opponent in a row and a place I’ve had to go play the last seven years and not had great results. It’s been a very good team, a tough crowd to play in front of, a tough stadium. The conditions were fairly difficult to play as far as wind.

“I thought our defense probably put together its most complete performance. Offensively, though we didn’t score enough points, we only had two penalties and no turnovers again which I think is critical to your success on the road. Special teams, for the most part, were very good and both our kickers were excellent in the game.

“So, it was a nice flight home that we could finally enjoy. Now, it’s time to get ready for the San Diego Chargers coming in here this week. I think it’s critical for us as a team to continue to build on last week’s practice and last week’s game.”

Q: What’s it mean to you to get a first win, I mean for you as a head coach?

HALEY: “Honestly, I said to a couple of guys yesterday I didn’t feel like we were 0-5. We weren’t acting like a 0-5 team, although that’s what our record was. I would have surely expected to have had a couple of wins out of the way before yesterday. So, really until I got on the bus and turned on my phone and saw probably as many messages as when I got the job did it kind of hit me. First of all, a lot more people than I thought cared about me, or were pretending to. That hit me a little bit.

“But right after the game in the locker room it just felt like what we should have been doing anyway. I said in the press conference after the game going into each and every one of those first six games I felt like we were going to win or had a very good chance to win. They didn’t turn out that way until yesterday so I guess I didn’t make a big enough deal about it but I’m happy that it’s over it.”

Q: How do you think this team is going to respond to this little bit of success?

HALEY: “I think it’s a big test for us, the next step in the development of this team. Some teams, I think, that’s a problem and not for others. I think it’s very important that we focus on the task at hand and having another good week of practice and building on this performance.”

Q: How do you think they will respond?

HALEY: “This is my first time to see them respond to victory, as you all have pointed out here over the last ten weeks.”

Q: How have they responded so far?

HALEY: “I told them after the game to enjoy it on the way home. Normally, the last couple of road trips coming home it’s quiet and kind of like a morgue on that plane which I think it should be after a loss. There shouldn’t be a lot of happy faces. But I said yesterday everybody on the plane could sense a different atmosphere which is good. It’s hard to win and everybody needs to enjoy it when you do win at least for a period of time.

“We came in today and you love that as a coach because you can really coach hard. Guys are a little less sensitive to the video tape and when there are things that you can correct it’s a little easier for them to stomach or swallow. We pushed them pretty hard in the meeting rooms going over the tape to try to get better.”

Q: This week will be part of the process then again?

HALEY: “I think it’s another step in our development. It’s our first time after a victory. I wish we had tested this out four weeks ago, but it is what it is and we’ve got to get ready for San Diego. At least we’re doing so with a little positive reinforcement.”

Q: A lot of comments from national media following the game was that it was an ugly game. Is that the way you’ve got to play football?

HALEY: “Yeah. Would we have liked to have scored points in the Red Zone? Yes. Did we have opportunities to? Yes. We need to do a better job executing and calling plays, all those things. But they don’t draw pictures at the end of the year. It’s just wins and losses and we need to find a way to get wins.

“That is a very difficult place to play. I can speak from personal experience. I’ve gone in there with some very good teams and not come out victorious very often. I think twice in the last seven years….

“So, to go on the road against an NFC East opponent and come out with a win I don’t care if it’s 2-to-nothing. It’s a win and a big win. You ask any of the other 31 teams in the league and they’re going to say the same thing.”

Q: It’s been about two months since you took over the offense. Is everything starting to click even without the touchdowns?

HALEY: “I think we’re finally or now have a core set of plays we go to in certain circumstances. I feel like we’re making progress. Has it been easy? No. Did I think it was going to be easy? No. It’s really hard, really hard for the players. We’ve asked them to do a lot in an effort to be further along as we go forward. But I think we’re making progress.

“The thing I’m encouraged about offensively is to go into Washington and to have two penalties and one of them being the quarterback going across the line and one holding call and to not turn the ball over. That’s huge and that’s a good defense. They’re statistically a good defense. They play hard, they’re physical and tough. We protected the football. We did what we had to do to win.”

Q: What can you do statistically to keep bodies off your quarterback? He’s getting hit too much.

HALEY: “Yeah, he’s obviously a tough guy. I’m extremely proud of the effort and competitiveness that he puts into a game. I’m excited to be around players like that. We just need to get more guys to think and act like that.

“I stopped the tape multiple times today to point out Matt taking big time shots from 300 plus pound defenders in an effort to let the other guys know that they need to do their part. This guy is going to stand in and take that kind of a beating. We need everybody kind of thinking and acting like that.”

Q: Have you talked to him at all about self preservation? Not waiting as long or holding the ball too long?

HALEY: “No, but I’ve talked to him about not taking sacks on the fringe and scoring areas. If he’s taking a hit and throwing it away I’m not feeling sorry for him. I’m happy.

“He’s a competitive, competitive guy. Now, I’m happy he’s big, strong, can take some of those hits. But we do talk to him about running, sliding and not taking unnecessary hits.”

Q: How much of that is part of his personality, what makes him the player he is?

HALEY: “As I said, it’s probably one of his greatest attributes and it also haunts him a little because he wants to make a play every play. I think that comes through quarterback play and the more he plays. That’s the toughest thing a quarterback has to do: decide when to pack it in when there’s no play to be had and get rid of the ball and save a sack or a hit.”

Q: The fact that he’s been knocked around really exposes the achievement of not throwing any interceptions?

HALEY: ”(knocks on wood) That’s part of his job: not turning the ball over. It’s not something that’s ever going to be alright, regardless of the circumstances. He’s doing his job as far as that goes.”

Q: You talked yesterday about not kicking the field goal on fourth-and-two. Was it the play call or the execution you weren’t happy with?

HALEY: “I was looking for a conversion. In that situation it was the tough end to kick, especially if you stood out on the field early. I stood out on the field warming up which was the end we were in warming up. I watched all the kickers kick and both guys were struggling hard kicking in that direction. We were about on the line that Coach Hoffman had told me was the kick it or not kick it line. I thought we had converted a fourth down, were moving the football a little bit and I thought we could convert and hopefully score a touchdown. Whenever it fails I’m going to second-guess the play I called and I’m sure people will too.”

Q: You had two different nickels yesterday. Was it based on run, pass?

HALEY: “I won’t get into specifics of why we’re doing what. I thought Derrick Johnson had a good week of practice and in an effort to get a lot of different guys out on the field playing it was a lot of different reasons. Other than really two plays that you would like to have back defensively, the defense did a heck of a job. They competed, they fought and really gave us a chance to win.”

Q: How was Mike Richardson’s play?

HALEY: “Thought he did a pretty good job. Had a good week of practice but he was under the spotlight for sure and I thought he came out and competed and came out there on special teams and had a couple of tackles or was in on a couple. That’s positive.”

Q: What were some of the advantages of having Brandon Flowers on the slot?

HALEY: “Again, I don’t think I want to go into specifics other than just whatever we can do to give ourselves a chance to succeed in each given situation, not knowing exactly what you’re going to get. You’ll utilize him the best we can to get stops.”

Q: Were you great on defense or they are just a run offense?

HALEY: “I was worried about their offense in a lot of different areas but I thought our defense did some things we were talking about like playing with proper technique. Were we great across the board? No. Did we have some missed tackles? Yes. But I saw a lot of progress. I saw guys trying to do it the way we were coaching it and then having success and that’s usually a pretty good deal when it goes that way.”

Q: What did you think of the player bath they gave you at the end of the game?

HALEY: “It was not something I factored into the equation. I’ve heard some negative feedback on my bath but I enjoyed it once I realized what was happening. The game wasn’t over and I’m the worst. I’ve got to see zero, zero, zero and then I’m still looking for a flag before I believe it’s over. That’s just the way I’ve been taught by my father.”

Q: Was your family just holding their breath for you to get a win?

HALEY: “No, I didn’t get that feeling. My father is a football guy and he’s continued to tell me it’s a process. Right now it’s about getting better every day and I’ve tried to stay true to that. My wife is a crazy person is on game day.”

Q: Is Kolby Smith going to practice Wednesday?

HALEY: “This is when the window opens. We’ve had some side discussions about it, but we’ll make the decision later in the week. I know he’s chomping at the bit. He’s been working really hard and I’d sure like to get him there.”

Q: Could you see the potential that Ryan Succup has shown?

HALEY: “Our special teams coach, Steve Hoffman, is a true kicking guru. It’s what he’s done for a long time and I know Scott and myself have great confidence in him. He’s had a knack for finding guys. He’s seen a bunch of these guys and knowing ones that have a chance and ones that don’t.

“He spent a lot of time with Ryan and thought he had a chance to succeed. Now, Ryan’s here and working hard and is doing it the way he’s been coached to do it. Yesterday was a nice little reward for him. It was a huge game for him in poor conditions. The field was re-sodded and where they were kicking from was not real good. Some elevated undulations, some things like that. The wind was difficult but he stood up and made the tough kicks.”

Q: What did you think when you saw Tamba get Todd Collins down for the sack and the safety? What went through your mind?

HALEY: “I was screaming and yelling because I thought the left tackle had a false start, so I didn’t realize that there was a safety for a few seconds. Again, it’s hard for me to believe it’s over until it’s over. I was in the Super Bowl last year when what happened happened. Until it’s over I don’t have a lot of emotion one way or the other.”

Q: How was Wade Smith?

HALEY: “Wade did a pretty good job. He showed his value – a guy you don’t hear a lot about who’s covering all the (offensive line) spots. He’s got some versatility and then all of a sudden he’s got to come in during that final drive last week and did a good enough job for us to have a chance to win. I thought he did a pretty good job and I was pretty impressed with the effort.”

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Mike Richardson?

Huh?

Is EVERY Chiefs reporter retarded in Kansas City?

Or just the ones that ask questions?

KCrockaholic
10-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Did you miss our new CB?

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Did you miss our new CB?

Gee, I guess so.

It would have been nice if he were on the Official site as well.

I guess I missed the "Welcome" thread.

Edit: They JUST changed the site at 12:04am PST.

It's embedded, if you don't believe me.

KCrockaholic
10-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Gee, I guess so.

It would have been nice if he were on the Official site as well.

I guess I missed the "Welcome" thread as well.

He was wearing Travis Daniels old number. I saw #23 out there and had no idea who it was.

KCrockaholic
10-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Ha. Good timing.

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Modified: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:03:45 AM

KCrockaholic
10-20-2009, 01:08 AM
So far though, Richardson>Leggett

Buehler445
10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
So far though, Richardson>Leggett

On that note, did Washington get any time out there today? I thought he played pretty well for a rook when given the opportunity. Though he did miss some tackles as well.

Buehler445
10-20-2009, 11:23 AM
The ask/answer thing is Haley's equivalent to "flustrated".

RippedmyFlesh
10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
On that note, did Washington get any time out there today? I thought he played pretty well for a rook when given the opportunity. Though he did miss some tackles as well.
washington was inactive didn't know about any injury issue with him

Easy 6
10-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Every word and sentiment poured forth and rang true, like the Golden Bells of God...this is the right stuff.

HALEY BROWN SHIRT.

Reerun_KC
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Mike Richardson?

Huh?

Is EVERY Chiefs reporter retarded in Kansas City?

Or just the ones that ask questions?

I have wondered for many years, but our media is shit in KC... They were afraid to ask Herm anything, now they just fucking drool on themselves at every press conference...

Easy 6
10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I have wondered for many years, but our media is shit in KC... They were afraid to ask Herm anything, now they just ****ing drool on themselves at every press conference...

I honestly dont see it Reerun, dont you remember after the opener & the week after that?...'whats Cassels status?'...'knee or high ankle?'...'if Matts knee/ankle was Joey Fatone or Justin Timberlake, who would you french kiss?'...'does Brodie walk barefoot through your mind?'.

They're trying to dig IMO, because this is the most interesting era since Marty came in, but the Pioli/Reichstag Regime is tightly sealed...maybe they gotta lob some softballs to get some insight & maybe down the road, limited access?

MaxFects
10-21-2009, 01:10 AM
He gets hit too much? Pretty bold interviewer