PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink One quart of BBQ sauce = 3 qts. salsa

Saccopoo
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Finished making another batch of BBQ sauce last night. Figured that I'd just go ahead and make a batch of salsa with the remnants. Waste not, want not.

Simply Red
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
sounds like fun, any chance we could request some Apricot-preserves?

Saccopoo
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
sounds like fun, any chance we could request some Apricot-preserves?

Sorry. No apricots this year. Did some peaches, pears, cherries and apples though.

I did find a really nice apricot tree in my grandmothers neighborhood though. I'm going to try and see if they'll let me pick some next year.

Simply Red
10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry. No apricots this year. Did some peaches, pears, cherries and apples though.

I did find a really nice apricot tree in my grandmothers neighborhood though. I'm going to try and see if they'll let me pick some next year.

dude, if you do, I"LL BUY SOME JARS!!!

Simply Red
10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
you wash your hands and stuff, right?

Buck
10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
BBQ Sauce Salsa?

Sounds fantastic.

Saccopoo
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
you wash your hands and stuff, right?

Yeah...sure. Why?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/nebulosus/dirty_hands.jpg

Simply Red
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah...sure. Why?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/nebulosus/dirty_hands.jpg

ROFL

Saccopoo
10-20-2009, 05:35 PM
BBQ Sauce Salsa?

Sounds fantastic.

It wasn't really BBQ salsa. It was just deciding on not wasting the mats used to make the sauce. Since they both have very similar ingredients, I figured that I might as well do up some salsa in the process. Cooked the tomatoes down with minced onions, bell peppers, garlic, celery (which I sauteed with paprika for a while to soften them up) and then strained out the veggie pulp/solids, put that into the salsa kettle and the liquids into the BBQ sauce pot. At that point, I added the goodies to each. Molasses, brown sugar, sugar, pineapple juice, etc. for the sauce, and lots o' cumin, coriander, cilantro, lime juice, pineapples, for the salsa. Actually, they both had roughly the same ingredients in varying amounts other than the molasses and sugars. I did use cider vinegar for the sauce versus white vinegar for the salsa.

First pic is of the initial tomato, veggie amalgamation. Second is the salsa. Third is the sauce.

Simply Red
10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
It wasn't really BBQ salsa. It was just deciding on not wasting the mats used to make the sauce. Since they both have very similar ingredients, I figured that I might as well do up some salsa in the process. Cooked the tomatoes down with minced onions, bell peppers, garlic, celery (which I sauteed with paprika for a while to soften them up) and then strained out the veggie pulp/solids, put that into the salsa kettle and the liquids into the BBQ sauce pot. At that point, I added the goodies to each. Molasses, brown sugar, sugar, pineapple juice, etc. for the sauce, and lots o' cumin, coriander, cilantro, lime juice, pineapples, for the salsa. Actually, they both had roughly the same ingredients in varying amounts other than the molasses and sugars. I did use cider vinegar for the sauce versus white vinegar for the salsa.

First pic is of the initial tomato, veggie amalgamation. Second is the salsa. Third is the sauce.

A fresh salsa almost can't be beat. Love it.

RJ
10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
A fresh salsa almost can't be beat. Love it.

I never buy jarred salsa in the summer.

Saccopoo
10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I never buy jarred salsa in the summer.

It's why I have a garden and why I can. I never buy salsa period. This year I got 19 pints and seven quarts of salsa out of the garden. Made mango salsa, black bean and corn salsa, pineapple salsa, papaya salsa, peach salsa, salsa salsa, etc. And that was after making numerous batches of BBQ sauce that precluded the salsa.

Demonpenz
10-20-2009, 10:23 PM
OH FUCK THIS SHIT WAS MADE IN NEW YORK CITY!?!?!?!

Pink Paradise 2010
10-20-2009, 10:37 PM
nice, that sounds so good right now.... :)

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2009, 11:04 PM

I'll trust you on the BBQ sauce, but bell peppers and celery in the salsa is heresy.

Saccopoo
10-20-2009, 11:20 PM
I'll trust you on the BBQ sauce, but bell peppers and celery in the salsa is heresy.

Bell peppers provide THE pepper taste in the salsa. Use the other stuff for the heat, but to get a distinct pepper flavor, bells are essential. (I grew Thai's, Habanero's, Jalapeno's, Cayenne's, Anaheim's, Poblano's, Serrano's and Red, Green and Purple Bells. There's a little bit of all of them in the salsa - depending upon which salsa I made.)

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Bell peppers provide THE pepper taste in the salsa. Use the other stuff for the heat, but to get a distinct pepper flavor, bells are essential. (I grew Thai's, Habanero's, Jalapeno's, Cayenne's, Anaheim's, Poblano's, Serrano's and Red, Green and Purple Bells. There's a little bit of all of them in the salsa - depending upon which salsa I made.)

Sorry, but your palate is whack, Gringo.

Saccopoo
10-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Sorry, but your palate is whack, Gringo.

Now you've fuckin' gone and done it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvufFwdqMzg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvufFwdqMzg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>