PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Trade deadline news talks about peterson shopping tony

MaxFects
10-21-2009, 01:55 AM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/why-the-nfl-trade-deadline-lacks-drama/

Why the N.F.L. Trade Deadline Lacks Drama
By Andrew Das

Today is the N.F.L.’s annual trading deadline. Little is expected to occur. Little ever does.

The blockbuster deals in baseball and the salary swaps of the N.B.A. have few counterparts in the N.F.L.’s deadline. Football teams are reluctant to shake up their rosters once the season has begun; most N.F.L. teams still harbor postseason hopes after Week 6, when the deadline arrives each season. And the salary-cap ramifications of dealing or acquiring a player at that point make it hard for either side in a trade to get good value.

So while talk swirled in recent weeks that the Cleveland Browns would move quarterback Brady Quinn or returner Josh Cribbs or that the Buffalo Bills would send Terrell Owens to a contender, those players will most likely spend Week 7 in the same uniforms they wore in Week 6.

<b>“It’s too early for teams to start jettisoning players,” the former Kansas City Chiefs executive Carl Peterson said in a telephone interview last week, “because it’s still early in the year.”

Peterson, now the chairman of USA Football, ran the Chiefs from 1989 until 2008. With Kansas City headed toward a rebuilding period and off to a 1-5 start last season, Peterson began to get phone calls about the Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez. The Green Bay Packers came closest to making a deal before the trade deadline, Peterson said, but their best offer — a third-round pick for a likely Hall of Famer — came with conditions about givebacks that he called “onerous.” Other teams were merely bargain hunting; one offered a sixth-round pick, another a seventh-rounder.

“Am I going to do that for Tony Gonzalez?” Peterson said. “I think they would have hung me in Kansas City.”

Peterson passed on the offers, and the Chiefs found a better one after the season. Days before the draft, their new general manager, Scott Pioli, traded Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons for a second-round pick in 2010.
</b>

The Falcons’ president, Rich McKay, who previously served as the general manager for both Atlanta and Tampa Bay, said the lack of activity at the trading deadline could be traced to a simple fact: N.F.L. teams run complex, one-of-a-kind systems. That explains why the Bears, after acquiring defensive end Gaines Adams last week, didn’t bother to activate him for Sunday’s game.

“In baseball you can trade for a left fielder and he can start for you that night,” McKay said in an e-mail message Monday. “In football, that is simply not the case.”

Extra point: Would you be in favor of moving the trade deadline later in the season? More teams would be out of playoff position and might be willing to deal top talent to contenders that feel they’re only a player away.

BossChief
10-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Pretty much proof of the complete foolishness of King Carl.

All he could get for Tony was a third... a year LATER, with Pioli in the captains seat, we got a 2nd for him.

Possibly, added value because of a friendship deal with Dimitroff.

PhillyChiefFan
10-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Carl, we wanted to have you hanged anyways. /every Chief fan.

InChiefsHeaven
10-21-2009, 05:17 AM
This isn't really news though is it? I thought it was pretty common knowledge...

KC Jones
10-21-2009, 06:05 AM
To be fair we were going to hang him regardless of what he got for Tony.

BigRedChief
10-21-2009, 06:26 AM
To be fair we were going to hang him regardless of what he got for Tony.And rightfully so. We are paying for his drafts and FA pickups now and for the next year or two also. He left the franchise in a sorry shape and should have been fired years earlier.

LaChapelle
10-21-2009, 06:43 AM
The 3rd(?) Carl would have gotten and the 2nd(ATL) Pioli got may not have been that far apart in point value. What Pioli would have done with the 3rd this year or the 2nd next...

SenselessChiefsFan
10-21-2009, 06:50 AM

All he could get for Tony was a third... a year LATER, with Pioli in the captains seat, we got a 2nd for him.

You usually get more for a guy in the offseason that you would during the season. Gives the time to get used to the system, go through training camp, etc.

Plus, a second in 2010 could be argued to be worth as much as a third in 2009.

I am happier with the second, don't get me wrong, just saying that unless you deal a guy in the offseason, when everyone is still building their roster.... you won't get very good value.

Agent V
10-21-2009, 06:55 AM
“Am I going to do that for Tony Gonzalez?” Peterson said. “I think they would have hung me in Kansas City.”

Like PhillyChief said, pretty sure most people were keen on that idea for about 10 years prior to that.

BossChief
10-21-2009, 06:59 AM
you typically don't get more for a 33 year old player than the same player at 32. Atlanta was probably never even called about a trade last year. They had multiple second rounders to spend in the 08 draft.

The quality of player available in the upcoming draft in the second round will FAR EXCEED the talent that was to be had in the late third in last years draft.

That deal hurt as a fan, but was the right move for the long term project of bringing this team out of the ashes

LaChapelle
10-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Shockey and KW2 traded into the division probably had some effect as well. Panthers need to go after Gates lol

SenselessChiefsFan
10-21-2009, 07:25 AM
you typically don't get more for a 33 year old player than the same player at 32. Atlanta was probably never even called about a trade last year. They had multiple second rounders to spend in the 08 draft.

The quality of player available in the upcoming draft in the second round will FAR EXCEED the talent that was to be had in the late third in last years draft.

That deal hurt as a fan, but was the right move for the long term project of bringing this team out of the ashes

If the 33 year old is traded during the offseason, yeah... you do.

As far as calling Atlanta. Just to give you background. The Falcons had a rookie QB and a brand new coaching staff.

At this point last year, they were using about half of their playbook. Bringing in another really talented piece to work in was not 'ideal'.

Again, teams build rosters in the offseason and then work during training camp to focus on the plays that utilize the talent they have.

For all the bashing of Sanchez... part of the issue with his five interceptions, was that Edwards was not on the same page.

Oh, and for the record, Mike Smith was asked about it this year. He said they had no interest in trading for TG last year because of where the team was in their development and where Matt Ryan was in the playbook.

But, don't let the facts get in the way.

BossChief
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
If the 33 year old is traded during the offseason, yeah... you do.

As far as calling Atlanta. Just to give you background. The Falcons had a rookie QB and a brand new coaching staff.

At this point last year, they were using about half of their playbook. Bringing in another really talented piece to work in was not 'ideal'.

Again, teams build rosters in the offseason and then work during training camp to focus on the plays that utilize the talent they have.

For all the bashing of Sanchez... part of the issue with his five interceptions, was that Edwards was not on the same page.

Oh, and for the record, Mike Smith was asked about it this year. He said they had no interest in trading for TG last year because of where the team was in their development and where Matt Ryan was in the playbook.

But, don't let the facts get in the way.

So, you're convinced CP exhausted all avenues trying to maximize his return on Tony and couldnt get more than a 3rd?

...just to fill you in Tony had been demanding a trade for two years and Im sure there were teams out there interested in making a serious offer if Tony was "truly" available. CP never intended to trade him at all is what Im saying.

No need to get into a pissing match over it buddy.

DumbHillbillies
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm just glad he was smart enough to know we would hang him if he took that deal from green bay.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-21-2009, 07:38 AM
So, you're convinced CP exhausted all avenues trying to maximize his return on Tony and couldnt get more than a 3rd?

...just to fill you in Tony had been demanding a trade for two years and Im sure there were teams out there interested in making a serious offer if Tony was "truly" available. CP never intended to trade him at all is what Im saying.

No need to get into a pissing match over it buddy.

First, you are right.... got a little headstrong... don't even know why.

Second, I don't think he intended to trade him during the offseason. But, once the actual season rolled around, and the team sucked anyways... yeah, I think he tried to trade him.

I hate the fact that I am defending CP here, because if anyone deserves to be blasted, it is him.

I just think that in season trades are typically at much less value than you can get during the offseason.

Unless you get a team with an injury. Then you can get decent value.

Anyways, I think Carl should be blasted... just not so much for this.

BossChief
10-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm just glad he was smart enough to know we would hang him if he took that deal from green bay.

word

what a pos CP was in his last ten years here.

If we had kept Jared and treated him fairly, and sent LJ to GB for that mega deal that was offered back then, there likely wouldn't be a reason to trade Tony because we wouldn't have needed to blow up a team that had talent.

We got offered more for LJ than we got for Jared.

oh well, spilt milk

Reerun_KC
10-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Carl, we want to see you dead in a car wreck. /every Chief fan.

FYP

HemiEd
10-21-2009, 08:27 AM

A future pick is not as valuable as a current one, all the information I have seen, there is a round difference. So, it was a wash. But Atlanta is playing so well, it might be a very late 2nd anyway.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-21-2009, 08:38 AM
word

what a pos CP was in his last ten years here.

If we had kept Jared and treated him fairly, and sent LJ to GB for that mega deal that was offered back then, there likely wouldn't be a reason to trade Tony because we wouldn't have needed to blow up a team that had talent.

oh well, spilt milk

Please quote any legit source for the idea that we got a huge offer from anyone for LJ.

It didn't happen. I know what some of the rumors were.... but they were just that... rumors.

And, the highest I read was a 1st and a 4th. And, that was from the Packers version of WIPE.

We have to quite being upset about trades that the Chiefs supposedly turned down when there is no legit source to back it up.

No one was giving up that kind of compensation for LJ. Not after his 400 plus carries and his lack of burst in Indy.

HemiEd
10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Really? Do you have a link please?

Brock
10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Really? Do you have a link please?

No, he doesn't.

HemiEd
10-21-2009, 08:42 AM
No, he doesn't.

Yeah, that would have been some pretty big news around here, if would have actually happened. They were faint rumors, at best.

J Diddy
10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
FYP

90% of the fans of kc got their start with King carl's plan. You might not like him, but to wish him dead makes you the turd in a brown paper sack. He brought competitive football back to kc and everyone's angry he just didn't bring it home.

patteeu
10-21-2009, 09:07 AM

That doesn't make much sense to me, Boss.

jAZ
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
If Pioli can come in and up the trade value for a year older, slower and closer to retirement player, it would seem to suggest that Carl's STFD & STFU attitude didn't work any better with his GM peers than it did with his player/agents.

MaxFects
10-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I just hope that the nfl considers extending the deadline. It would helps teams rebuild quicker