PDA

View Full Version : Royals Zack Greinke Named Sporting News Pitcher of the Year

doomy3
10-21-2009, 08:43 AM
THE SPORTING NEWS NAMES ZACK GREINKE AMERICAN LEAGUE PITCHER OF THE YEAR

Kansas City, MO (October 21, 2009) – Kansas City Royals pitcher Zack Greinke has been named the 2009 Sporting News American League Pitcher of the Year. Greinke, who turned 26 today, becomes the second Royals pitcher to win this award, joining Bret Saberhagen who took home the honor in 1989. A panel of 31 Major League Baseball general managers and assistant GM’s voted on the award.

Dating to Randy Johnson in 1995, the last 14 winners of this award have also been named the A.L. Cy Young Award winner, as voted on by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

San Francisco Giants’ ace Tim Lincecum won the National League award.

The Sporting News plan to announce their Player of the Year and American and National League All-Star teams tomorrow. The Comeback Players of the Year and Relievers of the Year will be named on Friday. Previously, the White Sox’ Gordon Beckham and the Phillies’ J.A. Happ were named the 2009 Rookies of the Year.

For additional information, members of the media may contact the Royals Media Relations Department at (816) 921-8000.

BigChiefFan
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
That's wonderful. Hopefully, he'll keep the streak alive of being the Cy Young award winner.

Molitoth
10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I still have a feeling Felix wins the Cy.

Demonpenz
10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I would be alright with Zack getting this one and Felix the other one. Sporting news knows their baseball

MahiMike
10-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Wow. Congrats! So when does he sign with the Mets?

Archie F. Swin
10-21-2009, 09:50 AM
go 'head Zack, with yo bad self, running things!!

L.A. Chieffan
10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
trade him now royals. max value

beer bacon
10-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Wow. Congrats! So when does he sign with the Mets?

Well it will at least not be until after the contract extension he signed recently runs out.

beer bacon
10-21-2009, 10:36 AM
But seriously you idiots he just signed a four or five year contract extension before this last season.

KurtCobain
10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
But seriously you idiots he just signed a four or five year contract extension before this last season.

That's good for the yankees when he get's traded there this offseason.

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 11:02 AM

You're acting as if that prevents Greinke from being traded anywhere.

If NYY, NYM, BOS, LAA, LAD, STL, want to buy out his contract and our front office wants to trade while his value is at it's max, being this is the Royals I can totally see them trading him. Typical Royals.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
trade him now royals. max value

gay.

Demonpenz
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
if we can add a bat and a #1 catcher I would pull the trigger. Our starting pitching was ranked 4th or 5th in the league this year.

L.A. Chieffan
10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
you dont think you could get max value for him right now?

Arrowhead Nation
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
if we can add a bat and a #1 catcher I would pull the trigger. Our starting pitching was ranked 4th or 5th in the league this year.

And without Zack it would have been 10th of 11th

beer bacon
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Remember that time when the Royals worked out a contract extension with Carlos Beltron, and then he signed that extension, and then the Royals traded him a year later?

beer bacon
10-21-2009, 12:13 PM
You're acting as if that prevents Greinke from being traded anywhere.

If NYY, NYM, BOS, LAA, LAD, STL, want to buy out his contract and our front office wants to trade while his value is at it's max, being this is the Royals I can totally see them trading him. Typical Royals.

Yeah, but you're dumb as a rock.

Demonpenz
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
And without Zack it would have been 10th of 11th

fine by me, he is head case anyways. Didn't he have like a mental breakdown a couple years (lol poor millionare) anyway I would get rid of him for a person to replace Teahen or buck those guys are terrible

Sure-Oz
10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
He won't be traded ever

GoHuge
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
fine by me, he is head case anyways. Didn't he have like a mental breakdown a couple years (lol poor millionare) anyway I would get rid of him for a person to replace Teahen or buck those guys are terribleYou would trade the best pitcher in the big leagues to replace a utility player and catcher? Nevermind, you changed your avatar. I didn't think anyone was that stupid. Should have known it was a DP post.

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, but you're dumb as a rock.

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo

That had about as much credibility as the above quoted post.

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
He won't be traded ever

Money talks.

Sincerely,

The Glass Family.

beer bacon
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
The super smart Royals signed Greinke to a four year extension just so he could become the best pitcher in baseball, and they could trade him for a utility catcher and third baseman. You geniouses know your baseball.

teedubya
10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
And just think... instead of Puke Hoochiemammer... We could also have had Tim Lincecum.

Awesome!!

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
The super smart Royals signed Greinke to a four year extension just so he could become the best pitcher in baseball, and they could trade him for a utility catcher and third baseman. You geniouses know your baseball.

Wouldn't surprise me. Really it wouldn't. In fact I almost expect them to actually do something like this, or equal in terms of flat out stupidity

Lex Luthors
10-21-2009, 01:34 PM
fine by me, he is head case anyways. Didn't he have like a mental breakdown a couple years (lol poor millionare) anyway I would get rid of him for a person to replace Teahen or buck those guys are terrible
You're absolutely right. They Royals should trade Greinke. Those trades always work out well. Kind of like when they traded Saberhagen for Kevin McReynolds, Gregg Jefferies and Keith Miller, and when they traded David Cone for Ed Hearn.

It's always a good idea to trade away one of the best pitchers in the game.

teedubya
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
You're absolutely right. They Royals should trade Greinke. Those trades always work out well. Kind of like when they traded Saberhagen for Kevin McReynolds, Gregg Jefferies and Keith Miller, and when they traded David Cone for Ed Hearn.

It's always a good idea to trade away one of the best pitchers in the game.

Yeah, I ALWAYS hated seeing Saberhagen and Cone pitching for other teams... they should have stayed with KC. That sucked.

Halfcan
10-21-2009, 03:03 PM
good news-Zach deserves it.

Demonpenz
10-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I ALWAYS hated seeing Saberhagen and Cone pitching for other teams... they should have stayed with KC. That sucked.

heh that was when had 3rd highest payroll in baseball too