PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kolby Smith returns to practice

C-Mac
10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
KOLBY SMITH RETURNS TO PRACTICE (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/10/21/chiefs_insider_blog_phase_ii/)
October 21st – 12:40 PM

There were two new faces at practice today in DTs Kenny Smith (#90) and Marlon Favorite (#93), but the biggest arrival at practice is a Chief entering his third NFL season. RB Kolby Smith practiced today for the first time since injuring his knee nearly a year ago vs. Tampa Bay.

Smith had previously been on the reserve PUP list and the team now has three weeks, starting today, to monitor Smith’s progress in practice. Kansas City can activate Smith at any time over the next three weeks, but three weeks from today is the deadline to make a decision to either activate Smith or place him on injured reserve and effectively end his season.

Once again, T Branden Albert missed practice with his ankle injury, while S Jarrad Page (shoulder) returned to work. G Mike Goff was also missed practice today, although he was not in the rehab area where most injured players reside.

CaliforniaChief
10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm curious to see what Kolby Smith can contribute to the team. If he's in the physical condition everyone says he is, he might provide a happy medium between the speed but no durability/reliability that Charles offers and the durable but slower/no breakaway speed that LJ brings.

Watch that series he had against the Raiders. He's a pretty explosive RB. Hope his knee holds up.

L.A. Chieffan
10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
im willing to bet, provided hes even activated, that he ends up with a higher ypc than lj. for sure. prob more tds too

jiveturkey
10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Mike Goff is missing in action. Here's hoping that he's been cut.

Reerun_KC
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Would like to see KS get more carries than LJ if he is heathly.

CaliforniaChief
10-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Mike Goff is missing in action. Here's hoping that he's been cut.

Sorry to disappoint.

Haley said at his presser today that he had "personal" issues to tend to. Said he's fine.

Unless the personal issue was trying to read his release papers, you'll see him on his back this week.

booger
10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Hopefully Goof's personal issues are he's considering retirement.

Hammock Parties
10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Here we go. A running back is healthy so he's automatically better than LJ.

Kolby will get stuffed just as badly as LJ because of our shitty line...

booger
10-21-2009, 05:48 PM
pffft.

Kolby's a slasher. not a fall downer like LJ.

Plus he can run routes other than a swing pass and is more of a threat in the passing game.

LJ has improved his pass blocking quite a bit but still has no interest in catching any passes. If he was more of a threat there it would help he and the offense out more in the run game.

But the oline would still suck.

Hammock Parties
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
LJ has improved his pass blocking quite a bit but still has no interest in catching any passes.

:spock:

That explains why he has 11 catches and hasn't dropped a ball this year?

booger
10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
dump offs.

That statement goes back to the DV years when he was an effective reciever other than dump offs. Then the Herm era and all he wanted to do is run the ball.

His attitude has improved, i just think he would be more of a complete back if he really worked more at the passing game which would make him more of a threat catching the ball. Might open things up more for him running the ball.

okiedokieokoye
10-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Umm...does Charles get stuffed? Or is he averaging 4.4 yards a carry compared to LJ's fall down approach of 2.7.

milkman
10-21-2009, 07:00 PM

That's a pretty accurate statement.

Hammock Parties
10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Umm...does Charles get stuffed? Or is he averaging 4.4 yards a carry compared to LJ's fall down approach of 2.7.

Looking at the stat sheet does not tell the whole story.

Hammock Parties
10-21-2009, 07:03 PM
dump offs.

That statement goes back to the DV years when he was an effective reciever other than dump offs. Then the Herm era and all he wanted to do is run the ball.

You're usually pretty on target so why are you wrong here?

Do you not remember the offseason before 07 when LJ worked hard at becoming a better receiver? Then he had 30 catches in 8 games before he got hurt. In fact he had 41 catches in 2006.

The idea that LJ doesn't want to catch the ball is complete poppycock.

milkman
10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Looking at the stat sheet does not tell the whole story.

That's why you watch and see that Charles is more proficient at finding a seam and getting positive yardage more often, while LJ is pretty proficient at running into the O-Line's ass and getting stuffed because he has absolutely zero vision.

milkman
10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh, and no burst.

booger
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
You're usually pretty on target so why are you wrong here?

Do you not remember the offseason before 07 when LJ worked hard at becoming a better receiver? Then he had 30 catches in 8 games before he got hurt. In fact he had 41 catches in 2006.

The idea that LJ doesn't want to catch the ball is complete poppycock.

I can't remember when but it was his statements more than anything around the time Herm was hired and the question was asked of him about Herm saying he needed to be more involved in the pass game, talking about Curtis Martin and how he was used. LJ's response when asked was basically all he cared about was running the ball. Around that same time he started to become unreliable as a pass protector and that was consistant pretty much until this offseason and his work to improve that.

Really i guess i am looking back in hindsight more than anything and thinking it would have helped him then instead of the 8 man fronts he faced.

Other than the ego comments this year his attitude has been fine. Maybe he needs something to be pissed off about so he can run angry again.

booger
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
LJ has taken a few runs outside the T and TE and produced some gains that way. Which is a positive as far as showing signs of losing a step which he has.

Buehler445
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
LJ has been split out a few times this year. Not often, but it happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stinger
10-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Ahem .... clears throat ..... Print'em!!

BossChief
10-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh, and no burst.

I have been supporting LJ, but man milkman, you do have a legit point, I cant remember the last time he cut a run back and exploded into the open field.

Nobody can say that hasnt been there a few times a game. Even I have noticed that, just havent commented on it.

While he was rolling, that was one of his biggest attributes.

Getting hit for losses as much as he does have possibly killed his vision.

Hammock Parties
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I have been supporting LJ, but man milkman, you do have a legit point, I cant remember the last time he cut a run back and exploded into the open field.

He did it in the Eagles' game.

But as poorly as our line blocks, why would you think there would be that many opportunities to hit the cutback lane? It's simply not there.

Simply Red
10-21-2009, 07:40 PM

DID YOU EVEN WATCH LAST WEEK!!? WE LOOKED LIKE AN EASY 'TOP 20' 'RUNNING' ENSEMBLE!