PDA

View Full Version : Football Officiating Crew Suspended

dtrain
10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4583642

Crew removed from Oct. 31 gameComment Email Print Share Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The Southeastern Conference has suspended officials from last weekend's Arkansas-Florida game after the crew was involved in its second controversial call of the year.

Referee Marc Curles' crew called a personal foul on Arkansas defensive lineman Malcolm Sheppard in the fourth quarter as the Gators were rallying for a 23-20 victory. The league said there was no video evidence to support the call.

The same group of officials called the LSU-Georgia game earlier this month, which included a late unsportsmanlike conduct penalty the league said shouldn't have been called.

"A series of calls that have occurred during the last several weeks have not been to the standard that we expect from our officiating crews," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Wednesday. "I believe our officiating program is the best in the country. However, there are times when these actions must be taken."

SEC associate commissioner Charles Bloom said this is the first time the league has publicly suspended a football crew like this.

The SEC says the crew will be removed from its next scheduled assignment Oct. 31 and will not be assigned to officiate as a crew until Nov. 14.

The league said the crew's bowl assignments could also be impacted.

"The entire crew shoulders responsibility for each play. I have taken this action because there must be accountability in our officiating program," Slive said. "Our institutions expect the highest level of officiating in all of our sports and it is the duty of the conference office to uphold that expectation."

Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said in a statement: "We took the appropriate steps to address any issues we had with the league regarding this matter earlier in the week. Our focus as a football team has been and remains on this weekend's game against Ole Miss."

They were terrible! I believe they lost the game for Arkansas

Mile High Mania
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Good... they screwed the Hogs late in the 4th. Florida should have lost that game...

Buehler445
10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Hunh. Who woulda thunk that? Officials want the 2 best teams in the SEC to win? :hmmm:
Posted via Mobile Device

Mile High Mania
10-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Here is a video from a Gator fan having fun... some of those were BS.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQbu_OLYwMs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQbu_OLYwMs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

dtrain
10-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I want at least 2 of the top 3 teams to lose so Boise State can get into the National Championship game. They were robbed the year they beat Oklahoma.

cdirty
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
yea there were some baaaad calls on that drive that went floridas way.

CoMoChief
10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
good god those were AWFUL calls.

The refs got paid off. That's the only way they could have really called that the way they did.

petegz28
10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Now if the Big 12 would address the Ref Crew from the OSU v MU game.

NewChief
10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty serious screw job. The Hogs shot themselves in the foot quite a few times as well, so official don't get all the blame. That being said, Florida shouldn't need any freaking help from the officials to win games.

BigMeatballDave
10-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I want at least 2 of the top 3 teams to lose so Boise State can get into the National Championship game. They were robbed the year they beat Oklahoma.It would be awesome to see them and Cinncinati play for it.

Radar Chief
10-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Mr. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, are you watching?

KCChiefsMan
10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
with millions of dollars being gambled on these games and people with deep pockets wanting their team to win, you'd be very naive to think that refs don't get paid off.

tomahawk kid
10-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Never happen.

The Big 12 has proven consistently that they lack the balls for something like this.

Worst leadership in the BCS.

DMAC
10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Didnt MU get an apology letter from the officiating crew a few years ago?

dtrain
10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
It would be awesome to see them and Cinncinati play for it.
Yes it would. I'll buy a Bronco Jersey if they make it! But you know the BCS doesn't want that to happen.

KCChiefsMan
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes it would. I'll buy a Bronco Jersey if they make it! But you know the BCS doesn't want that to happen.

OU has a better chance at the title than Boise State or Cinci does, that's the nature of the beast. You will never see Boise compete for a national title, even if they went undefeated and their non-conference schedule was Florida, Texas, Alabama and V. Tech they still wouldn't be in the title game.

vailpass
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I want at least 2 of the top 3 teams to lose so Boise State can get into the National Championship game. They were robbed the year they beat Oklahoma.

Oh god please. That DII pretender should be banned from all televised games until they get a real football field. Please tell me how this schedule merits a BCS game let alone the NCS in any way, shape or form.

Thu, Sep 03 Oregon

Sat, Sep 12 Miami (OH)

Fri, Sep 18 Fresno State *

Sat, Sep 26 Bowling Green

Sat, Oct 03 UC Davis

Wed, Oct 14 Tulsa

Sat, Oct 24 Hawai'i *

Sat, Oct 31 San Jose State *

Fri, Nov 06 Louisiana Tech *

Sat, Nov 14 Idaho *

Fri, Nov 20 Utah State

Fri, Nov 27 Nevada

Sat, Dec 05 New Mexico State

dtrain
10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=vailpass;6196507]Oh god please. That DII pretender should be banned from all televised games until they get a real football field. Please tell me how this schedule merits a BCS game let alone the NCS in any way, shape or form.

The same thing was said the year they beat OU! If you watch them they are a very good football team.

vailpass
10-22-2009, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=vailpass;6196507]Oh god please. That DII pretender should be banned from all televised games until they get a real football field. Please tell me how this schedule merits a BCS game let alone the NCS in any way, shape or form.

The same thing was said the year they beat OU! If you watch them they are a very good football team.

Yeah, sorry to harsh on your team dtrain. I could have been nicer in asking why such a weak schedule merits a BCS bowl. Good on you for backing up your squad.
(still, blue turf?)

crispystl
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Didnt MU get an apology letter from the officiating crew a few years ago?

I dunno but a fifth F*%#ing down shoud warrant an apology!

Reaper16
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Its not enough, frankly. A conference's officials can pull all the stops to ensure that their teams with realistic BCS bowl chances get to those bowl games and only get a suspension to coverup the wrongdoing. Its bull.

DaKCMan AP
10-22-2009, 07:40 PM
The refs made Arkansas miss 2 FGs.

NewChief
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
And now they've reprimanded Petrino for bitching about the shitty officiating crew that they have now suspended. Bunch of bullshit:
http://www.sportsdailyfix.com/ncaa/petrino-reprimanded-by-sec-for-comments-ap.html