PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs hope to give Cassel better protection

Tribal Warfare
10-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Chiefs hope to give Cassel better protection (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1526478.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Todd Haley tried everything he could think of to get the Chiefs to better protect quarterback Matt Cassel. He screamed and yelled, he ran offensive linemen into and out of the lineup.

None of that worked well, so this week he tried appealing to the basic human instinct of pity. During the video review of last week’s game in Washington, Haley stopped the video whenever Cassel took a big hit, which was often, in an effort to drive home how much physical punishment the quarterback has been taking.

“It kind of makes you want to make sure no one ever touches him or gets shots on him in a game,” running back Larry Johnson said.

Haley will find out in Sunday’s game against San Diego at Arrowhead Stadium whether his latest method succeeded. But Haley understands the Chiefs must stop the relentless pounding that Cassel receives weekly.

“We’ve got to do whatever we can to eliminate hits on the quarterback,” Haley said. “That’s a fact. You don’t want a sitting duck back there that just gets killed the whole game because he won’t last.”

Chiefs quarterbacks have been sacked 22 times this season, which is second highest in the league behind Green Bay. That includes the three times Brodie Croyle went down in the season opener.

So Cassel has been sacked 19 times in five games, and that doesn’t count the punishment he’s taken after unloading passes.

At that rate, merely surviving the season will become a superhuman feat for Cassel. He already took a hit in a preseason game against Seattle that cost him that season opener in Baltimore.

“Heck yeah, I do,” Cassel said emphatically when asked whether he thought he could last 10 more games if he continues to get hit as he does. “To tell you the truth, I’ve been hit plenty of times and that’s just part of it.

“In terms of self-preservation, you just go out there and play the game, you don’t really think about it while it’s happening. You just go and try to play and if you get hit, it’s part of it.

“Hopefully I’ll just continue to keep getting up. That’s part of my job. I have to stand in there and I have to deliver under pressure and there’s always going to be guys coming after me and trying to hit me and that’s just part of it, getting up after you’re hit and dusting yourself off and moving on to the next play.”

The Chiefs invested $28 million in Cassel last summer when they signed him to a contract extension and are trying to build around him.

That’s difficult to do if he’s on the sideline. Chairman Clark Hunt said in an interview this week that the Chiefs would put a priority on protecting Cassel.

“I’m feeling very good about our quarterback play at this point,” Hunt said. “He’s making a lot of plays with people in his face and not necessarily a lot of help.

“Certainly as we improve as an offense and specifically our ability to pass-protect, we’re going to see what we have in Matt Cassel. What he’s accomplished while facing pretty significant pressure most every week has been impressive but I don’t think we’ve seen everything Matt Cassel can offer and we won’t until we do a better job pass-protecting.”

The Chiefs have more at stake than Cassel’s health. Cassel, who played little in college and became an NFL starter only last season, is still developing as a player.

The circumstances surrounding him aren’t ideal for the development of a quarterback. Not only is he pressured almost every time he attempts a pass, but also the Chiefs have no consistent running game, which is a quarterback’s best friend.

So the Chiefs have received few big plays from Cassel. He’s completing only 57 percent of his passes, which is below league average, but he hasn’t thrown an interception in the last four games.

“He’s a very mobile guy, and he does end up running with the ball some, so I think he’s handled it pretty well,” said San Diego coach Norv Turner, who has worked with several developing quarterbacks over his years as an NFL coach.

“Some of that helps you eventually become the best player you can be. There are a number of plays in a game where you have to move, you have to slide in the pocket, you have to avoid the rush, you have to make a play by improvising. The only way you’re able to do that and get good at it is by doing it.

“Sometimes, in the long run, you benefit from it.”

Reerun_KC
10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
You can hope in one hand and shit in the other..... We know how this will end...

chiefzilla1501
10-23-2009, 10:36 PM
It's his fault.

Obviously, the only problem is that he holds on to the ball too long.

BossChief
10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Chiefs hope to give Cassel better protection?

Really?

ROFL:clap:ROFL

SAUTO
10-23-2009, 10:55 PM
hell he has plenty of time, he should have us contending by now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
10-23-2009, 10:58 PM
These O line meetings are surely brutal, torrid affairs...repeatedly, unmercifully & with slowmotion tape stoppages...to recognize the FAIL.

With some BigAss Dog barking in their faces...

Easy 6
10-23-2009, 11:15 PM
...<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yja_MJazDuc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yja_MJazDuc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jAZ
10-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Haley sucks because he refuses to sign Jon Runyan!!111111!!11!

Coach
10-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see how the protection would be like if Haley had the balls to remove Goof from the line-up and put in someone else.

Reaper16
10-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Teicher: The sky is blue.

bevischief
10-24-2009, 02:04 AM

Really?

ROFLROFL

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Is this the same dummy who wrote last week the Chiefs want to stop giving up big plays on defense? He gets paid for this?
In the film room when they are showing Cassel getting hit over and over are they playing Benny Hill music?
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
10-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Is this the same dummy who wrote last week the Chiefs want to stop giving up big plays on defense? He gets paid for this?
In the film room when they are showing Cassel getting hit over and over are they playing Benny Hill music?
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
10-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Honestly, from a journalist's point of view (I worked at a daily newspaper for six years and in television for the past four), I don't envy his position. He's a beat reporter for a horrible football team with a front office that has lockdown on the facility and its players.

This article isn't that bad. It's interesting to read how the coaching staff is trying to do to get more production out of the O-line, as well as actually hear Hunt say the team is going to put protection as a priority in 2010. I also like hearing from Cassel, who's back there taking a beating.

It's the headline that sucks, and I'll bet Teicher's not writing his own headlines.

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2009, 05:21 AM
I could just see Haley on his knees pleading "Look at him, look at how he's getting killed. Please! Pleeeeeeaase!!!!".
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
10-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Todd Haley and Scott Pioli might have tried to actually put guys with some talent in front of Cassel to protect him this last offseason.

No amount of yelling, screaming, pleading is going to do anything to improve the protection with this group of scrubs he's working with.

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Todd Haley and Scott Pioli might have tried to actually put guys with some talent in front of Cassel to protect him this last offseason.

No amount of yelling, screaming, pleading is going to do anything to improve the protection with this group of scrubs he's working with.
Very true.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
10-24-2009, 07:38 AM
I wonder if Cassel brings in a notebook of last years free agents and available OL in the draft and shows them to Haley every time he takes a hit on tape.

OnTheWarpath15
10-24-2009, 07:50 AM
I wonder if Cassel brings in a notebook of last years free agents and available OL in the draft and shows them to Haley every time he takes a hit on tape.

LMAO

SenselessChiefsFan
10-24-2009, 08:39 AM
You guys have to remember, we are not the 'average' Chiefs fan.

We will rarely read something in the paper that we don't already know, assume or at least suspect.

The average fan watches games here and there, doesn't break down the 'problems', just sees an offense that is struggling.

This article isn't written for us. It is written for the other 90% of the fanbase.

ModSocks
10-24-2009, 08:55 AM

We will rarely read something in the paper that we don't already know, assume or at least suspect.

The average fan watches games here and there, doesn't break down the 'problems', just sees an offense that is struggling.

This article isn't written for us. It is written for the other 90% of the fanbase.

Preach on Brotha!

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Really?

Actually, the part about Haley showing his offensive line videotape of every time Cassel takes a hit was pretty interesting to me.

milkman
10-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Actually, the part about Haley showing his offensive line videotape of every time Cassel takes a hit was pretty interesting to me.

I'm sure you did.

I have to say, though, if I was Mike Goff after that film session, I'd have announced my retirement the minute the session was over.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2009, 09:30 AM
what's even more troubling is that the offensive line doesn't appear to be very well coached either. :(

the game against the iggles showed how completely ill-prepared the Oline was to handle blitzes. They had no idea what to do.

Rausch
10-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm sure you did.

I have to say, though, if I was Mike Goff after that film session, I'd have announced my retirement the minute the session was over.

Or be a real man and commit seppuku...

milkman
10-24-2009, 09:40 AM
what's even more troubling is that the offensive line doesn't appear to be very well coached either. :(

the game against the iggles showed how completely ill-prepared the Oline was to handle blitzes. They had no idea what to do.

One could argue that an O-Line that is learning a new scheme that was essentially implemented just weeks before the Eagles game is going to have a difficulty with their communication and assignments against a blitzing defense like Philly's, even one that has talented players.

milkman
10-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Or be a real man and commit seppuku...

He'd just whiff...

KCDC
10-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm sure you did.

That's because you have pride. For Goff, it is either make a million bucks a year hoping that Pioli continues to draft defensive players, or make $20,000 a year as a bouncer in a bar. I think he is opting for the big money and leaving his pride at home.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2009, 09:42 AM
One could argue that an O-Line that is learning a new scheme that was essentially implemented just weeks before the Eagles game is going to have a difficulty with their communication and assignments against a blitzing defense like Philly's, even one that has talented players.
you really think the Chiefs implemented an entirely new blocking scheme after they fired Chan Gailey?

milkman
10-24-2009, 09:48 AM
you really think the Chiefs implemented an entirely new blocking scheme after they fired Chan Gailey?

I don't know about entirely new, but since Gailey was reassigned there are more plays that they use the TE on the edge and fewer chips with the RBs, and double down on the interior, and it sometimes apppears that the OTs are lost, having no idea who they are supposed to be blocking.

luv
10-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Protect the QB? What a noble thought.

Coogs
10-24-2009, 09:56 AM

There was an article or interview with Haley right after the switch that pretty much stated we were going to have different blocking schemes than the ones Gailey used.

Saccopoo
10-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Indeed. If we had guys like this, life would be a lot easier for Matt Cassel:

LT:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/71/711150.jpg

Center:

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/644913f421_bc07272009.jpg

Right tackle:

http://www.football.com/UserFiles/Image/NCAA/Zane%20Beadles/125081115053_Utah_v_San_Diego_State(1).jpg

Hammock Parties
10-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know about entirely new, but since Gailey was reassigned there are more plays that they use the TE on the edge and fewer chips with the RBs, and double down on the interior, and it sometimes apppears that the OTs are lost, having no idea who they are supposed to be blocking.

Yup...and sometimes they leave Sean fucking Ryan one-on-one with Osi Umenyiora...which leads me to believe someone has their head up their ass!

Saccopoo
10-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Boston College and Notre Dame on right now. Two potential third round picks at Center playing in Matt Tenant of BC and Eric Olsen of ND. Both really nice looking center prospects.

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2009, 02:23 PM

You mean 90 percent of Chiefs are even worse? This is the Who's Who? Dear God in Heaven.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Boston College and Notre Dame on right now. Two potential third round picks at Center playing in Matt Tenant of BC and Eric Olsen of ND. Both really nice looking center prospects.
One thing BC does is turn out good offensive linemen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Touchdown Bowe
10-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Okung is so overrated its not funny

Mr. Laz
10-24-2009, 05:42 PM
There was an article or interview with Haley right after the switch that pretty much stated we were going to have different blocking schemes than the ones Gailey used.
If that really is true then Haley is a fuggin idiot.

you don't make that kind of change right before the season starts ... you change it early or not at all.

boogblaster
10-24-2009, 07:05 PM
In fairness to our O-line against the Eagles ..they came with some pretty damn good blitz packs that any O-line would have trouble with .. that said, yea our O-line sucks bad .....