PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Language on the forum....

Pages : [1] 2

Jilly
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
I know I'm opening a can of worms here and maybe there's some place I can read about the rules and regulations of the Planet...

I do realize it is a free country and free speech is a part of this country, so I'm sure the outcome of this will be to allow it, but I hope not. I know that we have had this discussion before as well, but given the current tone of the DC forum, I'm wondering if anything can be done.

Should we allow racial slurs? ethnic slurs?

I know I'm a bleeding heart liberal and am really sensitive to this kind of stuff, but we have people of a variety of ethnicity and race on this board, and I just think there is some language we shouldn't allow to occur and when it does, it seems there are two or three that completely get hard off of it.

Mods, feel free to delete this if it isn't appropriate. Thanks.

wild1
10-26-2009, 09:58 AM
They don't allow racial slurs. They banned someone for a week for doing it not very long ago.

Demonpenz
if you don't want to be called a slur don't eat cock. problem solved

Buehler445
My tactic is to stay the hell out of the DC.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
10-26-2009, 10:00 AM
No, we shouldn't allow them.

That opinion seems to vary from mod to mod, and from forum to forum - and for that matter, from poster to poster.

Some continually get a pass, while others get banned.

It's completely tolerated in the DC forum, and is somewhat tolerated in the Lounge.

It shouldn't be allowed anywhere, regardless of where it is posted, or who posts it, IMO.

Buck
10-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Why would anyone go into DC?

The Franchise
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM

The same reason that people go to the zoo.....to look at the animals.

kc rush
10-26-2009, 10:03 AM

:shrug: To see pictures of cute animals followed by dead animals.

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I think the entire DC forum should be canned if it can't be cleaned up. It's an embarrassment to the CP experience. The worst offenders don't even post in any of the football related forums. They're just far-out whackos from both sides that spend their day polluting our forum. I say, good riddance.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
"It's worse than usual because they really, really, really wanted their push-button, affirmative action negro to succeed."

Would this statement count? I know that "negro" is not the "n" word, but in these days and in this context, wouldn't it qualify as a term we shouldn't use?

ChiTown
10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
NIGGA Please!
:D

BossChief
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I think that if a person has thin skin, they are better off at the coalition or other boards.

This is the wrong place for it.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM

I did it because Patty O made me feel guilty, but now I'm just so sad. It really makes me so so sad.

loochy
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the entire DC forum should be canned if it can't be cleaned up. It's an embarrassment to the CP experience. The worst offenders don't even post in any of the football related forums. They're just far-out whackos from both sides that spend their day polluting our forum. I say, good riddance.

But if the DC forum wasn't there, those threads would find their way back to the main forum.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I think that if a person has thin skin, they are better off at the coalition or other boards.

This is the wrong place for it.

Personally, I think racial and ethnic slurs have nothing to do with "thin skin". I also have issues with people calling others "retards". I realize that this is just a term everyone uses today, but I think it's awful.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I know I'm opening a can of worms here and maybe there's some place I can read about the rules and regulations of the Planet...

I do realize it is a free country and free speech is a part of this country, so I'm sure the outcome of this will be to allow it, but I hope not. I know that we have had this discussion before as well, but given the current tone of the DC forum, I'm wondering if anything can be done.

I know I'm a bleeding heart liberal and am really sensitive to this kind of stuff, but we have people of a variety of ethnicity and race on this board, and I just think there is some language we shouldn't allow to occur and when it does, it seems there are two or three that completely get hard off of it.

I am not a bleeding heart liberal... I am, in fact, pretty conservative...

But, there is no place for racial slurs. To try to discredit someone based on their race is pathetic.

I started to go into the DC forum... it was a short lived experience.....

BigRedChief
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
"It's worse than usual because they really, really, really wanted their push-button, affirmative action negro to succeed."

Would this statement count? I know that "negro" is not the "n" word, but in these days and in this context, wouldn't it qualify as a term we shouldn't use?Yes, imho thats trying to get around the word filter and is considered a bannable offense.

Gonzo
Personally, I think racial and ethnic slurs have nothing to do with "thin skin". I also have issues with people calling others "retards". I realize that this is just a term everyone uses today, but I think it's awful.

Never go full retard....

jAZ
I know that we have had this discussion before as well, but given the current tone of the DC forum, I'm wondering if anything can be done.

My suggestion is leave the DC forum. Works pretty well if you ask me.

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
But if the DC forum wasn't there, those threads would find their way back to the main forum.

Maybe, or we could just agree not to discuss politics or religion here. It seems as if earnest debate of issues is a lost art. People sometimes should just agree to disagree and leave it at that. But now, it seems as if it has to get nasty and personal every time on every topic. It gets real old real quick.

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I've tried using other words other than retard but non fit the description of what I just witnessed in one word.

Buehler445
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM

I don't get too worked up about any of that stuff, but I will try to curb my use of the term retard. You're right about that. I shouldn't use that word in the context that I do.
Posted via Mobile Device

InChiefsHeaven
10-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Would this statement count? I know that "negro" is not the "n" word, but in these days and in this context, wouldn't it qualify as a term we shouldn't use?

Seriously, it's NOT the "n" word. This PC world we live in doesn't allow for any kind of expression at all, because somebody is going to get their feelings hurt. Seriously, if you don't like it, then don't post there. It's that simple.

I'm in there probably 30% of the time that I spend on the planet. Some threads start out really good, but it doesn't take long for the poop flinging to start, usually after the first page or so. That's when I check out and look at another thread, most of the time.

BigRedChief
10-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Yes, imho thats trying to get around the word filter and is considered a bannable offense.
Oh don't worry, monkey boy is working on pushing us over the cliff.another example.

Jilly
My suggestion is leave the DC forum. Works pretty well if you ask me.

I plan to....it's just that Chiefs news is just so so boring to me right now....and well, I'm trying to "be good" in all other respects, so I thought I'd visit again. It still bothers me, even if I'm not there, that they allow that language.

BossChief

I bet you cant watch a minute of Cris Rock or Dave Chapelle.

Its America, you gotta have thicker skin man.

I had a black guy (is that offensive to anyone?) on my HS football team that called us white players n****s and the black players "crackers". Its people like this that end "rasism" imo

Buehler445
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe, or we could just agree not to discuss politics or religion here. It seems as if earnest debate of issues is a lost art. People sometimes should just agree to disagree and leave it at that. But now, it seems as if it has to get nasty and personal every time on every topic. It gets real old real quick.

I just ignore it.

But if it is getting to be a problem, then we could take it off the front page like the DraftPlanet (sorry direkshun) and Hall of Classics etc.

The people that want to discuss it can still find it, but visitors would be less likely to see it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
10-26-2009, 10:17 AM
The way the general populous has turned so pc over the last 15 - 20 years or so makes it a little difficult to know what people find offensive. This being said, I think any racial slur should be punishable with a permanent ban, (depending on the context of the post of course).

Other items should be taken on a case by case basis. The mods do a good job for the most part, as do most of the posters that are bolded.

InChiefsHeaven
I plan to....it's just that Chiefs news is just so so boring to me right now....and well, I'm trying to "be good" in all other respects, so I thought I'd visit again. It still bothers me, even if I'm not there, that they allow that language.

This is me biting my tongue. Even if you are NOT in there, you don't like what goes on, so they should stop it. Even though it does not affect you in any way.

Gotcha.

Jilly
I bet you cant watch a minute of Cris Rock or Dave Chapelle.

Its America, you gotta have thicker skin man.

I had a black guy (is that offensive to anyone?) on my HS football team that called us white players n****s and the black players "crackers". Its people like this that end "rasism" imo

It's one thing to say it in a context of jest and comradery, it's another thing to say it in a context of hate.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
This is me biting my tongue. Even if you are NOT in there, you don't like what goes on, so they should stop it. Even though it does not affect you in any way.

Gotcha.

It can still bother me. I think that's my right.

jAZ
10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
The issue is that CP is, by design, a lightly moderated foum. And that invites hateful tones which dominate over friendly tones. I've particpated in other forums that are just as active and lively but that don't allow personal attacks/insults. CP made a decision years ago (over my objections at the time) to permit personal attacks.

It creates a tone that kills a lot of potentially interesting discussion. I hate that part of CP. But it is what it is.

There are few rules and less enforcement.

That's ChiefsPlanet.

keg in kc
10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
No, we shouldn't allow them.

That opinion seems to vary from mod to mod, and from forum to forum - and for that matter, from poster to poster.

Some continually get a pass, while others get banned.

It's completely tolerated in the DC forum, and is somewhat tolerated in the Lounge.

It shouldn't be allowed anywhere, regardless of where it is posted, or who posts it, IMO.Yep.

Some days I think the DC forum should be blown up, but on the other hand, it keeps certain idiots off the main board, so that makes it worthwhile.

wild1
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM

That's not a slur.

LaChapelle
Please don't drag DC fights here.
Now go nuke me a hotpocket.

Ebolapox
what's the problem, nagra?

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 10:24 AM
quick web search

Gonzo
10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
That's not a slur.

To some people it is I'm sure.

It makes me a little uncomfortable and I'm as German Irish Whitebread Honkey Cracker as you can get.

I do listen to NWA and MC Hammer on occasion though because I feel it connects me with our darker skinned breathren. It makes me feel as though I am walking in their shoes a little so I know what it's like to be opressed by the man, (aka me).

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
The worst offenders in the DC forum aren't even football fans. They just live in the DC forum and pollute it with a lot of ad hominem. I come here for football first and foremost. That's why I think we should just blow it up if we can't clean it up. It gives the whole CP experience a black eye.

Gonzo
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
The worst offenders in the DC forum aren't even football fans. They just live in the DC forum and pollute it with a lot of ad hominem. I come here for football first and foremost. That's why I think we should just blow it up if we can't clean it up. It gives the whole CP experience a black eye.

Why's the eye gotta be black?

Can't it be blue or lavender?

wild1
10-26-2009, 10:28 AM
To some people it is I'm sure.

Some people are always offended by anything.

That folder is a nasty place, because politics is a nasty business. Its not going to change, despite one side trying to get administrators to censor the other side.

jidar
10-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Here's a fact: DC would instantly become a better place if shtsprayer were banned.

LaChapelle
10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
The negro helicopters need to pack off 2/3 of those wack jobs.

Gonzo
10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Here's a fact: DC would instantly become a better place if shtsprayer were banned.

Can't argue with you my friend. I think I have maybe 5 total posts in that forum...

wild1
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM

TFG is why it has fallen off the cliff lately, both in terms of tone and with the racial statements he makes.

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Why's the eye gotta be black?

Can't it be blue or lavender?

It gives the CP a bruised, puffy and damaged general appearance, in serious need of medical attention and perhaps an ice-filled soft sided pressure pack!

InChiefsHeaven
Ironically, it won't be long before this thread goes to the DC...weird ain't it?

Pitt Gorilla
The worst offenders in the DC forum aren't even football fans. They just live in the DC forum and pollute it with a lot of ad hominem. I come here for football first and foremost. That's why I think we should just blow it up if we can't clean it up. It gives the whole CP experience a black eye.I don't know who invited shtsprayer, but they should be banned. An example of language from our resident wordsmith:

B.O. is a fraudulent piece of shit

Jilly
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Some people are always offended by anything.

That folder is a nasty place, because politics is a nasty business. Its not going to change, despite one side trying to get administrators to censor the other side.

I really am not trying to censor the other side. I'm all for political conversation, religious conversation, etc. I was just wondering if the Planet had an "lines" that shouldn't be crossed? Yes, part of it is just me, I'm sensitive and I know that, but the other part is that I just wondered what the lines were.

Stinger
For those who are disgusted by certain posters who keep posting stupid stuff on the forum .... have you all considered the ignore features?

Gonzo
The issue is that CP is, by design, a lightly moderated foum. And that invites hateful tones which dominate over friendly tones. I've particpated in other forums that are just as active and lively but that don't allow personal attacks/insults. CP made a decision years ago (over my objections at the time) to permit personal attacks.

It creates a tone that kills a lot of potentially interesting discussion. I hate that part of CP. But it is what it is.

That's ChiefsPlanet.

I woldn't have it any other way either...

Tiger's Fan
Censorship, in any form, is a bad thing. Always.

Redrum_69
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Ironically, it won't be long before this thread goes to the DC...weird ain't it?

Who here voted for Obama instead of McCain?

Inspector
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I hate all those magazines at the liquor store that have a brown paper wrapper around the middle. Yeah, those. Why do we have to see that in a public place? That really messes up the experience for me.

I'd be OK with it if the wrappers were made of clear plastic though.

Uncle_Ted
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Censorship, in any form, is a bad thing. Always.

I agree ... I'd rather know who the bigots and a**holes really are.

RJ
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM

That's ChiefsPlanet.

I agree with you. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to be the guy moderating that forum.

Raiderhater
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Here I am trying to make a come back on the board and now I see the word retard under attack. Good grief. It's craziness like this that makes it easy for me to stay away for months at a time. :shake:

This place used to be cool, now someone pisses in their pants if you accuse someone of wearing a helmet and eating crayons while riding the short bus to school.

ChiTown
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Here I am trying to make a come back on the board and now I see the word retard under attack. Good grief. It's craziness like this that makes it easy for me to stay away for months at a time. :shake:

This place used to be cool, now someone pisses in their pants if you accuse someone of wearing a helmet and eating crayons while riding the short bus to school.

ROFL

jAZ
I don't mean this as an invitiation for you to leave. I agree with your POV completely. But I noticed this note at the bottom of an article I just saw linked about the LJ controversy. Thought it fit in this thread.

Arrowhead Pride seems to have a policy along the lines of what I would prefer around here:

(Editor's Note: I know this is an upsetting, emotional topic so everyone please react like adults. No slurs or gratuitous language of any kind will be tolerated here.)

Arrowhead Pride is an entirely different animal than CP, and I just saw a post calling Haley and "idiot" so it's not perfect for you. But it's closer, I'd suspect.

Just wanted to share in case it was an option for you.

Link:
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/26/1101039/chiefs-rb-larry-johnson-starts-war

HemiEd

That is reason it is a good thing, to keep those posters up there, and out of the lounge.

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I would encourage use of the ignore feature for the most egregious offenders, but I would also think there should be something we can do about some of the materials that are just way over the line.

I agree that free speech includes offensive speech, but this is first and foremost a Chiefs football forum. It knocks the CP down a few notches in my view to have such a toxic section of this site. There's a difference between being passionate when presenting a viewpoint about religion or politics, and posting pure vitriol and hate speech. And that's regardless of which side of the aisle you're on. Sadly it's a perfect reflection of the general lack of respect, decorum and civility in the world in general.

Too bad the Chiefs aren't better so we'd have something a little more fun to talk about today.

sparkky
10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
:popcorn:

keg in kc
What she's talking about is decorum, and there's an ocean's worth of difference between that and censorship.

Mr. Kotter
I really am not trying to censor the other side. I'm all for political conversation, religious conversation, etc. I was just wondering if the Planet had an "lines" that shouldn't be crossed? Yes, part of it is just me, I'm sensitive and I know that, but the other part is that I just wondered what the lines were.

FTR, racist posting is, and should be, bannable offenses. However, beyond that....it gets murky. POS, "negro," retard....give us a break. You may not like it, but there wasn't a whole lot of complaining when the left referred to Bush as monkey or Nazis.

What comes around goes around, it's all a matter of whose ox is being gored; right now it's the lefties, because of the last election and the current President, who are (gasp!) "offended" when some people act like idiots.

During the '04 election cycle a whole lot of crap was tolerated in the name of free speech that probably shouldn't have been tolerated. FWIW, I agree there are 2-3 posters over in DC right now....who are pushing the envelope, and deserve some sort of disciplinary action; however, we can report those and give infractions for that. If the mods banned them, it wouldn't bother me at all.

OTOH, wholesale changes in the political correctness of the DC forum? I don't think it's a can of worms we really want to open. Bottom-line, is we can ignore certain posters if we wish....or if you simply can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Pretty simple really.

ChiTown
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
What she's talking about is decorum, and there's an ocean's worth of difference between that and censorship.

Yeah, good luck with that..............

Mr. Kotter
10-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately, perspectives too often hinge on what's being said about whom...and depending on one's politics. Is it respectful to refer to ANY President as a Nazi, or a POS? No. It's, unfortunately, a fine line between eliminating that sort of thing....and censorship though.

jAZ
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree with you. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to be the guy moderating that forum.

I agree 100%, but this place is 100x worse today (from a moderation challenge POV) because the behavior embedded as part of the 8 year culture of CP. If the policy were in place 7 years ago when I first made my opinion known, the difficultly of moderation today wouldn't be nearly the challenge.

At the same time, I fully admit that with those changes this place would likely be a different (and maybe non-existant?) site. It is what it is, that I haven't left says where I ultimately stand on the issue, obviously.

We can all leave at any time if we choose.

TrebMaxx
FTR, racist posting is, and should be, bannable offenses. However, beyond that....it gets murky. POS, "negro," retard....give us a break. You may not like it, but there wasn't a whole lot of complaining when the left referred to Bush as monkey or Nazis.

What comes around goes around, it's all a matter of whose ox is being gored; right now it's the lefties, because of the last election and the current President, who are (gasp!) "offended" when some people act like idiots.

During the '04 election cycle a whole lot of crap was tolerated in the name of free speech that probably shouldn't have been tolerated. FWIW, I agree there are 2-3 posters over in DC right now....who are pushing the envelope, and deserve some sort of disciplinary action; however, we can report those and give infractions for that. If the mods banned them, it wouldn't bother me at all.

OTOH, wholesale changes in the political correctness of the DC forum? I don't think it's a can of worms we really want to open. Bottom-line, is we can ignore certain posters if we wish....or if you simply can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Pretty simple really.
:clap: Well said.

keg in kc
Yeah, good luck with that..............I thought about throwing a dictionary.com link up for it. :)

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:00 AM

ftr, it has nothing to do with political sides, I'm just speaking to language.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't mean this as an invitiation for you to leave. I agree with your POV completely. But I noticed this note at the bottom of an article I just saw linked about the LJ controversy. Thought it fit in this thread.

Arrowhead Pride seems to have a policy along the lines of what I would prefer around here:

(Editor's Note: I know this is an upsetting, emotional topic so everyone please react like adults. No slurs or gratuitous language of any kind will be tolerated here.)

Arrowhead Pride is an entirely different animal than CP, and I just saw a post calling Haley and "idiot" so it's not perfect for you. But it's closer, I'd suspect.

Just wanted to share in case it was an option for you.

Link:
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/26/1101039/chiefs-rb-larry-johnson-starts-war

I guess I could leave, but I feel like I might miss you guys.

HemiEd
10-26-2009, 11:03 AM
It can still bother me. I think that's my right.

Typical liberal viewpoint, it bothers me, so everyone should stop it.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2009, 11:03 AM

I would agree....but if there wasnt a forum dedicated to DC, then the threads would just pollute the front page. Thats how it was before DC.

keg in kc
10-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Typical liberal viewpoint, it bothers me, so everyone should stop it.Yeah, I wish those liberals would lay off that gay marriage thing.

tooge
For the record, I'm of German descent, caucasian, a professional, a business owner, and a hunter. I'm sure there are plenty of slurs that can come from that description. I also happen to not give a shit what others call me and think the world would benefit if more people felt the same. I think thin skin does have something to do with it.

Jilly
Typical liberal viewpoint, it bothers me, so everyone should stop it.

Let's not turn this in to that, you know full well that's not what I'm saying.

King_Chief_Fan
10-26-2009, 11:07 AM

I think it is a fair question. However, the same can be said for the foul words etc. This isn't a politically correct forum and I think people in general realize that you can't and won't sanitize everything to suit everyone. Let the readers and posters beware.

BigChiefFan
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
You're asking others to live up to your ideal values. No offense, but you aren't the gold-standard of morality.

jAZ
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM

FYI, I'm not saying that you should.

HemiEd
10-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I wish those liberals would lay off that gay marriage thing.

Well, have we got this thread moved out of the lounge yet! :D

Brock
10-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know who invited shtsprayer, but they should be banned. An example of language from our resident wordsmith:

If you're offended by those words, you can filter them yourself in your profile. Take responsibility for yourself.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
You're asking others to live up to your ideal values. No offense, but you aren't the gold-standard of morality.

:rolleyes: Cuz it's so HORRIBLE to ask people to use the proper names for the proper ethnicities?

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't know who invited shtsprayer, but they should be banned. An example of language from our resident wordsmith:

What is wrong with that other than you don't like the stated opinion?

Censorship, yeah!!!!

Stinger
10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
If you're offended by those words, you can filter them yourself in your profile. Take responsibility for yourself.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM

ROFL This is the exact form of thinking that got dodge ball and tag banned from the public schools and gives every kid on every team a trophy win or lose.

HemiEd
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Let's not turn this in to that, you know full well that's not what I'm saying.

Didn't mean to turn anything into anything, and no I don't know that, as that is the way it came across to me.

I detest that place, but once in a while a topic will show up there that peaks my curiosity.

It doesn't take me long to leave, and remind myself that I glad that place exists, for those people to play in.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM

And who will be deciding what can and can't be said to fit your idea of decorum? You?

BigChiefFan
10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
:rolleyes: Cuz it's so HORRIBLE to ask people to use the proper names for the proper ethnicities?The word that was used is not a racist word of they would have been banned, obviously. Is it insensitive? Quite possibly, but it's not up to you dictate morals to others.

Raiderhater

Really? Take responsibility for ourselves? Are you frickin' kidding me? What kind of idiot are you that you think anyone would want to do that?

(TIC for the crayon eaters out there)

Jilly
Didn't mean to turn anything into anything, and no I don't know that, as that is the way it came across to me.

I detest that place, but once in a while a topic will show up there that peaks my curiosity.

It doesn't take me long to leave, and remind myself that I glad that place exists, for those people to play in.

Well, the only reason I brought it up is because I guess I just fear that some of that shit will end up in the main forum and I think it would run off a lot of people eventually if it was allowed.

gblowfish
I would agree....but if there wasnt a forum dedicated to DC, then the threads would just pollute the front page. Thats how it was before DC.

A couple of posters have mentioned this, and I certainly sympathize with that viewpoint. If we're going to have this kind of discussion, it definitely needs to be at the VERY least, in its own playpen. I just think the playpen has become a pigpen.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Really? Take responsibility for ourselves? Are you frickin' kidding me? What kind of idiot are you that you think anyone would want to do that?

(TIC for the crayon eaters out there)

That sounds like something a retarded negro would say.

Brock
10-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, the only reason I brought it up is because I guess I just fear that some of that shit will end up in the main forum and I think it would run off a lot of people eventually if it was allowed.

OMGZ MODZ

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:18 AM
The word that was used is not a racist word of they would have been banned, obviously. Is it insensitive? Quite possibly, but it's not up to you dictate morals to others.

No, it isn't up to me, that's why I asked if a rule was in place already and why I brought it up in a thread, to ask what others views were on the subject. And I only picked that example because I didn't feel like wading through, in fact, that was a mild example and I found it on like the 2nd page of a thread, so it's a pretty frequent thing.

RJ
10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
For those who are disgusted by certain posters who keep posting stupid stuff on the forum .... have you all considered the ignore features?

With certain posters in DC, putting them on ignore is like trying to watch Sportscenter with Brett Favre news on ignore.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Is it still okay to call the potus a magic negro?

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Words are nothing more than a tool to convey THOUGHTS. You ban the n word, those with malign thoughts move to negroes, ban that and they move to Canadians, ban that and they move to . . . . ad infinitum.

Were I of the mind, I could construct a campaign and turn any of those 100s of 'smilies' at our disposal in the dialog box into 'code for the n-word.' In person, people are capable of conveying the fact that they're thinking 'the n word' with an eye roll or shrug of the shoulders.

My point is, words are words, they're passive tools to convey thoughts. Any attempt to stifle the thought a word gets imbued with will just create a new dynamic where the thought imbues itself onto another word or collection of words, . . . or smilie.

So try to think about how you want to address the thoughts. Do you want to ban every person with malign thoughts? Only those who express malign thoughts coarsely?

Jilly

oh vailpass, you know how to push my buttons :cuss:

RJ
TFG is why it has fallen off the cliff lately, both in terms of tone and with the racial statements he makes.

I don't think he made that forum any worse at all.

Stinger
10-26-2009, 11:21 AM

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Stuff worse than that has been posted on the main forum. People may not have known this but circa 2004 we use to not have a DC forum and "that stuff" was posted on the main forum to a certain extent.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
oh vailpass, you know how to push my buttons :cuss:

;) It's only cuz you are cute when you are pissed off.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Words are nothing more than a tool to convey THOUGHTS. You ban the n word, those with malign thoughts move to negroes, ban that and they move to Canadians, ban that and they move to . . . . ad infinitum.

Were I of the mind, I could construct a campaign and turn any of those 100s of 'smilies' at our disposal in the dialog box into 'code for the n-word.' In person, people are capable of conveying the fact that they're thinking 'the n word' with an eye roll or shrug of the shoulders.

My point is, words are words, they're passive tools to convey thoughts. Any attempt to stifle the thought a word gets imbued with will just create a new dynamic where the thought imbues itself onto another word or collection of words, . . . or smilie.

So try to think about how you want to address the thoughts. Do you want to ban every person with malign thoughts? Only those who express malign thoughts coarsely?

Nah, I'm only thinking that racial slurs and ethnic slurs shouldn't be used. Apparently, that's too much censorship and is offensive to others.

But like Jaz said, I can leave. No biggie.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM
;) It's only cuz you are cute when you are pissed off.

you stop

Raiderhater
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Oh lawdy!

tooge
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
JUst curious. Are you saying there should be a difference between me calling someone a gook (whick I dont do by the way) and someone calling me a redneck (which I sort of am by the way)?

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
you stop

Okay I'll stop but don't leave the Planet. DC forum is like the trap in your kitchen sink. It's necessary to catch the goo but it is best if you don't look at it very often. Know what I mean?
If you need something in there send your husband to do your dirty work.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
DC is a shit hole but it has gotten alot worse because of shtsprayer and now TFG has come along and made it almost unbearable at times.

I have stated many times that the trash needs to be taken out over there so maybe someone can start a poll to do just that.

vailpass
Oh lawdy!

:D

Stinger
Apparently, that's too much censorship and is offensive to others.

Do you think this board came about? It was started because things were being censored and certain people on certain boards took offense to people saying things. Thus this board was born (extremely short version)

So the content of censorship, or the "Thought Police" has a deep rooted meaning here and will bring up a lot of protest.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
DC is a shit hole but it has gotten alot worse because of shtsprayer and now TFG has come along and made it almost unbearable at times.

I have stated many times that the trash needs to be taken out over there so maybe someone can start a poll to do just that.

Any worse than when clowns like burning-for-man-steak and his ilk were there? I don't think so. Just a different political view.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Any worse than when clowns like burning-for-man-steak and his ilk were there? I don't think so. Just a different political view.

The funny thing is he has been banned and all of his posts are deleted. I am fine with that outcome for the 2 mentioned above are you?

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Nah, I'm only thinking that racial slurs and ethnic slurs shouldn't be used. Apparently, that's too much censorship and is offensive to others.

But like Jaz said, I can leave. No biggie.

And my point is that ANYTHING can be a slur, if I were to start ranting SPRYR style about Obama being such a bazinga, like all those bazingas hanging out on MLK and Grand, drinking their bazinga Malt Liquor and smoking their bazinga menthol cigarettes, it wouldn't take long to figure out I intended bazinga as a slur of a racial nature [I suspect you might already].

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I used to love D2112/Bill Parcells, but honestly, my opinion of him has been greatly sullied since he basically dumped SHTSPRAYER on here in order to get him off the Jets boards.

This place isn't a toxic waste dumping ground.

vailpass
The funny thing is he has been banned and all of his posts are deleted. I am fine with that outcome for the 2 mentioned above are you?

I'm the wrong guy to ask about who should be banned for what. I'm pretty much a live-and-let-live guy with a healthy dose of if-you-cant-stand -the-heat-get-out-of-the-kitchen mixed in.

Simply Red
fuck ya', wigga!

Iowanian
Maybe they'll listen better if you talk about French Kissing a cervix in your soapy white Tshirt first, Rev.

Jilly
Do you think this board came about? It was started because things were being censored and certain people on certain boards took offense to people saying things. Thus this board was born (extremely short version)

So the content of censorship, or the "Thought Police" has a deep rooted meaning here and will bring up a lot of protest.

I didn't know. I've been here for what, 4 years (hey, my Planet anniversary is coming up), and just lately has it bothered me in DC. Mainly because it seems very little discussion can take place do to the extreme racism and the language that surrounds it.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe they'll listen better if you talk about French Kissing a cervix in your soapy white Tshirt first, Rev.

Are we back to here again? I thought we had gotten past this.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm the wrong guy to ask about who should be banned for what. I'm pretty much a live-and-let-live guy with a healthy dose of if-you-cant-stand -the-heat-get-out-of-the-kitchen mixed in.

I am too for the most part but after awhile you can only take so much.

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm just checking the barometer.

dirk digler

That sounds hot

vailpass
I am too for the most part but after awhile you can only take so much.

I know what you mean. For me, that's when it's time to take a break.

'Hamas' Jenkins

Or, perhaps others could take some responsibility not to be fucking racists. .

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
What is the appropriate temperature at which to post? It's 67 in my office.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Or, perhaps others could take some responsibility not to be ****ing racists. .

Shut up pussy.

Stinger
10-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to love D2112/Bill Parcells, but honestly, my opinion of him has been greatly sullied since he basically dumped SHTSPRAYER on here in order to get him off the Jets boards.

This place isn't a toxic waste dumping ground.

Yep First the Jets sent us Herm, then the Jets message board sent us SHTSPRAYER ......... Man we got screwed twice.... I hate that organization. :cuss:

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
And my point is that ANYTHING can be a slur, if I were to start ranting SPRYR style about Obama being such a bazinga, like all those bazingas hanging out on MLK and Grand, drinking their bazinga Malt Liquor and smoking their bazinga menthol cigarettes, it wouldn't take long to figure out I intended bazinga as a slur of a racial nature [I suspect you might already].

http://i31.tinypic.com/1zlvs6t.jpg

Baby Lee
Or, perhaps others could take some responsibility not to be fucking racists. .

All ye who displease me, be different.

Jilly
What is the appropriate temperature at which to post? It's 67 in my office.

That sounds good. Thanks for asking. :p

Jilly
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
That sounds hot

Stop. I'm trying to be good.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean. For me, that's when it's time to take a break.

I have it still doesn't help. :D

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 11:41 AM

stop being good problem solved

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
All ye who displease me, be different.

Censoring of hate speech on a forum isn't the censoring of hate speech, writ large. This is a quasi-private community, in case you haven't noticed, and rules for public speech do not necessarily apply. You can call someone a "n**ger" on the street and not be reprimanded, but try it in your office. See how it plays out.

Dave Lane
I did it because Patty O made me feel guilty, but now I'm just so sad. It really makes me so so sad.

Its so disgusting in DC that I believe the behavior, when there is any, is virtually subhuman. I feel depressed and dirty even going in there, the complete loonies have taken over. It is very sad.

Baby Lee
http://i31.tinypic.com/1zlvs6t.jpg

If only there were a word for someone too lazy to, or unable to, actually refute my statement, who instead attempts lamely to suggest the statement is self-refuting by oblique reference.

Mr. Kotter

I think you'd be missed over there; I've enjoyed your contribution.

That said, if self-censorship or iggy don't work, maybe just taking a break for awhitle is what you need. Maybe by the time you come back, the idiots will be gone--or maybe not. Either way, I just choose to ignore the real idiots--and it works for me.

vailpass

Nice is good. Naughty is better. Why settle for less?

bogey
10-26-2009, 11:44 AM

I've been to the DC forum maybe twice. I couldn't agree with you more. Mods need to take control and actually moderate. Racial slurs should not be allowed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
If only there were a word for someone too lazy to, or unable to, actually refute my statement, who instead attempts lamely to suggest the statement is self-refuting by oblique reference.

Like post 133, perhaps? Or perhaps it's frustrating that a mere picture can refute the inanity of your post. I'm sure that's troubling.

burt
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I think you'd be missed over there; I've enjoyed your contribution.

That said, if self-censorship or iggy don't work, maybe just taking a break for awhitle is what you need. Maybe by the time you come back, the idiots will be gone--or maybe not. Either way, I just choose to ignore the real idiots--and it works for me.

You ignore me?

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Censoring of hate speech on a forum isn't the censoring of hate speech, writ large. This is a quasi-private community, in case you haven't noticed, and rules for public speech do not necessarily apply. You can call someone a "n**ger" on the street and not be reprimanded, but try it in your office. See how it plays out.

Psssst - this is the PROPER implementation of your gambit.

non se·qui·tur (nn skw-tr, -tr)
n.
1. An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence.
2. A statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I've been to the DC forum maybe twice. I couldn't agree with you more. Mods need to take control and actually moderate. Racial slurs should not be allowed.

Pack that Kalifornia thinking up your ass pole smoker.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:48 AM

n.
1. An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence.

:LOL:

Mr. Kotter
10-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Nope, THAT is why DC exists.

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Like post 133, perhaps? Or perhaps it's frustrating that a mere picture can refute the inanity of your post. I'm sure that's troubling.

Oh, shit. NTSA. Folks, it's another round of Hamas' shtick-coma, where he talks about 100 things that aren't the subject or narrative, but a bunch of tangential jibes, followed by campfire tales of epic pwnage!!

bogey
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM

Should I have my sarcasm radar on, or are you just a dumbass?

Iowanian

You're probably right
http://xdd.xanga.com/5ad88b6163d3130670458/b21406700.jpg

vailpass
Its so disgusting in DC that I believe the behavior, when there is any, is virtually subhuman. I feel depressed and dirty even going in there, the complete loonies have taken over. It is very sad.

Oh sweet irony.

Dave Lane

Ahh Vailpass, Americas greatest bigot. I've always said if you are going to do anything be the best at it. Congrats guy! :thumb:

Jilly
Nice is good. Naughty is better. Why settle for less?

not helping.... :harumph:

Dave Lane
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Your just a dumbass

FYP

Mr. Kotter
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM

Where were you, calling for heads, when BushLiedPeopleDied or Burned-At-The-Stake, or Recount.....were around?

:shrug:

Or since it wasn't your ox being gored, well......

;)

alpha_omega
10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Just don't merge DC back into the Main Forum.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Ahh Vailpass, Americas greatest bigot. I've always said if you are going to do anything be the best at it. Congrats guy! :thumb:

The irony in you, the poster they call Dave Loon, referring to others as "loonies" was just to great not to notice. How are things on fantasy island? Did they get to you yet?
BTW, calling people "guy" is a blatant tip-off that you are a tool.

bogey
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM
The irony in you, the poster they call Dave Loon, referring to others as "loonies" was just to great not to notice. How are things on fantasy island? Did they get to you yet?

Are tyou really a racist, or do you just play one behind the safety of the internet?

vailpass
not helping.... :harumph:

but not hurting :)

gblowfish
Should I have my sarcasm radar on, or are you just a dumbass?

Yes,
and
Yes.

jAZ
10-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Anything can be a slur? Ok, so what's your point?

Mr. Kotter
You ignore me?

Who are you again? :hmmm:

vailpass
Are tyou really a racist, or do you just play one behind the safety of the internet?

Parroting Dave Loon is not the route you want to take. Don't get your Left Coast labia in a knot.

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Sigh....
Thread off to the DC in 3......2.......1......

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM

n.

Yes, it's almost as though CP is not defined as a community in the User's Guide, doesn't have specific guidelines which differentiate it from public speech, or have a prior history of banning people for hate speech.

Where did I come up with such an erroneous example?

I know it lacks the ethos of the sliding semantic scale and "Because I said so" of BL.

vailpass
10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes, it's almost as though CP is not defined as a community in the User's Guide, doesn't have specific guidelines which differentiate it from public speech, or have a prior history of banning people for hate speech.

I know it lacks the ethos of the sliding semantic scale and "Because I said so" of BL.

Shut up n00b.

bogey
10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Parroting Dave Loon is not the route you want to take. Don't get your Left Coast labia in a knot.

Don't need to parrot anyone. I calls 'em as I see's 'em.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Where were you, calling for heads, when BushLiedPeopleDied or Burned-At-The-Stake, or Recount.....were around?

:shrug:

Or since it wasn't your ox being gored, well......

;)

Name calling is fine IMO dropping the N-word or being anti-Semitic is not. Most people with common sense realize this.

Mr. Kotter
10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Name calling is fine IMO dropping the N-word or being anti-Semitic is not. Most people with common sense realize this.

Racial slurs are already banned.

So you really got nothing to add? :shrug:

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Anything can be a slur? Ok, so what's your point?

As I had stated earlier, chasing the contemporary form of the slur around and around doesn't address how [you, we, he, etc] should or could deal with the thought underlying it, which should be the point of emphasis.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Racial slurs are already banned.

So you really got nothing to add? :shrug:

What would you like me to add? Those are my 2 biggest complaints and the 2 biggest offenders are shtsprayer and TFG.

Get rid of them they serve no purpose. I do find it interesting that you say burn@stake was horrible but he was banned and his posts were all deleted. So why can't the same be applied to the others?

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 12:18 PM

I haven't drank enough Ovaltine to get my Hamas to English decoder yet, but I'll try to ameliorate this impasse by pointing out my 'be different' remark was in reply to your salient suggestion that everyone stop BEING racists, not to some malformed wisp of a thought about enhanced enforcement of CP community standards.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Baby Lee do you think shtsprayer is racist?

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Baby Lee do you think shtsprayer is racist?

I don't think racism is a Boolean value. I think he couches his critiques in racial terms, but I haven't had a chance to look into his soul to see if he is someone who starts from the premise that black is bad and forms his critique of behavior accordingly [undeniably racist], or from the premise that certain behaviors and societal aims are bad and forms his critiques of black people accordingly [racial, but more in the form of an ideologue].

jAZ
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
As I had stated earlier, chasing the contemporary form of the slur around and around doesn't address how [you, we, he, etc] should or could deal with the thought underlying it, which should be the point of emphasis.

Maybe so, but what's your suggestion then?

teedubya
10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GEvI0BkV9mw/RoK449jMcDI/AAAAAAAAAC4/6wXs0umU5wA/s1600/topography_of_swearing.JPG

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't think racism is a Boolean value. I think he couches his critiques in racial terms, but I haven't had a chance to look into his soul to see if he is someone who starts from the premise that black is bad and forms his critique of behavior accordingly [undeniably racist], or from the premise that certain behaviors and societal aims are bad and forms his critiques of black people accordingly [racial, but more in the form of an ideologue].

Thanks BL. I will say at least in this case I disagree with you. IMVHO shtsprayer has shown by being banned at least 3 times by using racist language including dropping the n-word multiple times makes this a little more cut and dry.

jjjayb
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM

If you don't like the DC forum don't go into it and you won't feel sad anymore. Is it really that hard to figure out?

Raiderhater
10-26-2009, 12:58 PM
If you don't like the DC forum don't go into it and you won't feel sad anymore. Is it really that hard to figure out?

So it would seem.

Buck
10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm wondering if we can make SHTSPRAYER change his Avvy. I dont care if it bashes on Obama, but that Shit is just appalling.

Just Passin' By
10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
You've got a board that allows the individual to censor any word he/she chooses, and the site owner could put in censor options which block any words he/she chooses as a minimum. Banning for speech, other than direct personal threats, in such a case just makes no sense to me.

But that's just my take.

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe so, but what's your suggestion then?

I'm not making a suggestion on policy, I'm suggesting a more useful manner of analyzing the issue for those who would make a suggestion.

Were I to offer a suggestion, I'd say personal attacks and only the most unambiguous of racist epithets [n-word, gook, kike] when used unambiguously AS epithets. Much as anything from a bikini to a burqua qualifies as 'dressed' in an open society, arguing over what is a 'veiled' epithet, or even more ephemeral 'racially tinged' etc, is a waste of effort.

Also, if I'm talking to a racist, I view it better to know than discourse in naivete.

kcxiv
10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
not reading all of this, but i am a minority and it doesnt bother me if someone calls me wetback. its just a word. I dont know why people get bent out of shape about it. Especially on a internet forum.

wild1
10-26-2009, 02:02 PM
not reading all of this, but i am a minority and it doesnt bother me if someone calls me person of Hispanic heritage. its just a word. I dont know why people get bent out of shape about it. Especially on a internet forum.

a group I belong to is regularly insulted here. it doesn't offend me and make me cry. the world is full of idiots. this is not news.

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 02:03 PM
a group I belong to is regularly insulted here. it doesn't offend me and make me cry. the world is full of idiots. this is not news.

To be fair, Chiefs fans ARE idiots.

wild1
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
To be fair, Chiefs fans ARE idiots.

Well, that group too :D

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I do think Jilldo has a valid point.

I'd much prefer to see more people put a little effort into their insults.

"feel free to perform a marital act upon yourself" is more entertaining than the obvious.

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM

"feel free to perform a marital act upon yourself" is more entertaining than the obvious.

Haley possesses the scatological variant of the Midas touch.

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Larry Johnson's social communication prooves that he has penthouse view of an intestinal tract that makes even an advanced lower GI doctor envious.

Pioli Zombie
10-26-2009, 02:09 PM
They don't allow racial slurs. They banned someone for a week for doing it not very long ago.

Are you kidding me? See DC Forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't think racism is a Boolean value. I think he couches his critiques in racial terms, but I haven't had a chance to look into his soul to see if he is someone who starts from the premise that black is bad and forms his critique of behavior accordingly [undeniably racist], or from the premise that certain behaviors and societal aims are bad and forms his critiques of black people accordingly [racial, but more in the form of an ideologue].Is this racist? a comment about the President.
Oh don't worry, monkey boy is working on pushing us over the cliff.

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I hope PZ has recently had a tetanus booster, spending all day nailing ones self to a cross has to increase the risk factor of infection with that affliction.

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Is this racist? a comment about the President.

It sure wasn't over the previous 4/5 of a decade, and yet I never recall your vocal objections.

Dave Lane
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM

I'm with you on that one. Put some work into your insults folks :cuss:

Bob Dole
10-26-2009, 02:14 PM
:rolleyes: Cuz it's so HORRIBLE to ask people to use the proper names for the proper ethnicities?

WTF _ARE_ the proper names this week, anyway.

And since we're revisiting the topic, Bob Dole will re-state what he's already stated every other time this stuff comes up.

As hard as it may be to fathom, the mods here do not have the time to read every single word that is posted on this forum. Every post has a "report this post" link attached to it. If you're offended, take YOUR time to use the damned thing. We do try to respond to those accordingly. (But then again, some people report the dumbest shit as racist or offensive.)

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 02:14 PM

It's adversarial, coarse and disrespectful, none of which is the sine qua non of racist.

I've already said I don't know if SPRYR hates blacks first then notices their actions, or hates certain actions first then notices the race of the actor.

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I concur.

Dave Lane is so old, he invented the butt plug by accidently sitting on the skull of a triceratops to consume a tossed crinoid salad.

BigRedChief
10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
It sure wasn't over the previous 4/5 of a decade, and yet I never recall your vocal objections.Who was called monkey boy?

Iowanian
10-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Who was called monkey boy?

You've not suffered a catastrophic brain trama that I'm aware of, please consider performing a google search for say "George Bush + Monkey"

Chris Katan used to be called that, but only after the Mr Peepers skit.

Baby Lee
10-26-2009, 02:20 PM

You've not suffered a catastrophic brain trama that I'm aware of, please consider performing a google search for say "George Bush + Monkey"

I.O Wan-Kenobe - don't even have to google search

http://www.bushorchimp.com/

Bob Dole
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM

You have been now, Monkey Boy.

wild1
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Is that necessarily a slur? Monkey boy is a term commonly used to insult a sycophant, someone excessively subservient to another, someone who contorts themselves to the caprice of one they regard as their superior. It could be a valid use of the term without any racial connotation.

It's possible there is a double entendre intended by the poster. But I'm sure the word "monkey" will simply send people into convulsions and the context is disregarded.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 02:23 PM

I agree with the midget. And I am not talking mental midget we already know that part.

blaise
10-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think racist talk is nearly as rampant as some people are making it out to be. To read some people's posts here you'd think it was just open season for racists, and I don't think that's the case. I don't see avatars, and I seldom click when people attach pictures and stuff either, so maybe that's where people are seeing it?
I don't have anyone on ignore, but there's people whose posts I just skip over. I don't think people should be using racial slurs, it's just low class. I don't know where you draw the line exactly though.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
WTF _ARE_ the proper names this week, anyway.

And since we're revisiting the topic, Bob Dole will re-state what he's already stated every other time this stuff comes up.

As hard as it may be to fathom, the mods here do not have the time to read every single word that is posted on this forum. Every post has a "report this post" link attached to it. If you're offended, take YOUR time to use the damned thing. We do try to respond to those accordingly. (But then again, some people report the dumbest shit as racist or offensive.)

Seriously, there's no need for all this animosity. Offensive is a different word then racist and my original concern had to do with hateful, racial slurs, whether we want to categorize them that way or not, that's what they are.

dirk digler
It's possible there is a double entendre intended by the poster. But I'm sure the word "monkey" will simply send people into convulsions and the context is disregarded.

Do you think shtsprayer is smart enough to think of a double entendre?

kcxiv
i wish people were like me and didnt get offended about words said, it would make the world alot easier. It means absolutely nothing to me unless someone is in my face trying to degrade me, but over on a messageboard? Bitch please, easy to hide behind a messageboard and say things. I just shrug it off.

I am a pretty mellow dude though. I make fun of my own race, black, white, chinese. I dont care, a funny is a funny. lol

Jilly
10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
i wish people were like me and didnt get offended about words said, it would make the world alot easier. It means absolutely nothing to me unless someone is in my face trying to degrade me, but over on a messageboard? Bitch please, easy to hide behind a messageboard and say things. I just shrug it off.

I am a pretty mellow dude though. I make fun of my own race, black, white, chinese. I dont care, a funny is a funny. lol

Again, it's one thing to do it in jest, it's another thing to do it out of hate, message board or not.

patteeu
10-26-2009, 02:27 PM

LMAO

Begging the authorities in the material world for heavy-handed moderation wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I teasingly suggested that you go to DC and preach the good word to the heathen. I was thinking more along the lines of leading by example and using the power of reason to shine light on the righteous path.

patteeu
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, imho thats trying to get around the word filter and is considered a bannable offense.

Good lord, that's one of the dumbest things I've heard today.* Using a non-racial slur "to get around" the racial slur filter is a bannable offense? ROFL

Edit: But I've just started reading this thread so I suspect there will be plenty of other candidates by the time I'm through.

wild1
10-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Do you think shtsprayer is smart enough to think of a double entendre?

Actually, the world's dumbest people world walk around thinking in double entendre all day long.

Baby Lee
Again, it's one thing to do it in jest, it's another thing to do it out of hate, message board or not.

Serious question, do you think hating someone's actions and bringing their race into the discussion is fungible with hating someone's race?

Side serious question, do you think hating someone's actions is fungible with hating someone's race?

Jilly
LMAO

Begging the authorities in the material world for heavy-handed moderation wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I teasingly suggested that you go to DC and preach the good word to the heathen. I was thinking more along the lines of leading by example and using the power of reason to shine light on the righteous path.

As if reason was acceptable in DC. ;)

And being a reasonable and respectable man yourself, surely even you can see that some of the language is a little over the top.

ChiTown
10-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Good lord, that's one of the dumbest things I've heard today. Using a non-racial slur "to get around" the racial slur filter is a bannable offense? ROFL

There are some days I wish I would/could stay away from certain threads.....this is one of them.

wild1
10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Good lord, that's one of the dumbest things I've heard today. Using a non-racial slur "to get around" the racial slur filter is a bannable offense? ROFL

What is really meant, what we are approaching, is that being more critical of the current ruling party than a supporter is comfortable with is thought to be something that should be bannable.

Bob Dole brings up a good point. There is a "report this" button. That could be used to report offenses - but then, there are no theatrics.

Jilly
Serious question, do you think hating someone's actions and bringing their race into the discussion is fungible with hating someone's race?

Side serious question, do you think hating someone's actions is fungible with hating someone's race?

Your chicken and the egg reasoning is frustrating because I know you're just using it to play devil's advocate.

wild1

If these were not "yes", there would be no thread.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
If these were not "yes", there would be no thread.

My answer is no to both of those.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Actually, the world's dumbest people world walk around thinking in double entendre all day long.

I know I read your posts every day

Oh SNAP

blaise
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I know I read your posts every day

Oh SNAP

When he said the world's dumbest people I think he meant people from Missouri.

kcxiv
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM

Taking it to seriously, you really are. At least in my opinion. Just shrug it off and ya will be much happier, if you cant, well be cool if you could learn too. Works for me, it just makes one less thing for me to get upset about in life.

dirk digler
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
When he said the world's dumbest people I think he meant people from Missouri.

Couldn't be because all the really dumb people I know live in Olathe especially pete. :D

blaise
10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Taking it to seriously, you really are. At least in my opinion. Just shrug it off and ya will be much happier, if you cant, well be cool if you could learn too. Works for me, it just makes one less thing for me to get upset about in life.

In my head your post sounds like Yoda.

Bob Dole
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Seriously, there's no need for all this animosity. Offensive is a different word then racist and my original concern had to do with hateful, racial slurs, whether we want to categorize them that way or not, that's what they are.

No animosity on this end.

And Bob Dole understood what you meant just fine--Bob Dole was simply pointing out that people get all butthurt and report some pretty ignorant stuff.

dirk digler

Explain the word fungible to me before I answer

BigRedChief
You have been now, Monkey Boy.
http://www.forumspile.com/Misc-Missed_it.jpg

Bob Dole
10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Misc-Missed_it.jpg

If you say so, Chim...er, Champ.

BigRedChief
10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Good lord, that's one of the dumbest things I've heard today.* Using a non-racial slur "to get around" the racial slur filter is a bannable offense? ROFL

Edit: But I've just started reading this thread so I suspect there will be plenty of other candidates by the time I'm through.I was saying getting around the word filter is a bannable offense. I think its a racial slur. That would be an attempt at getting around the use of the n-word. The Planet may not consider that a racist term but I believe it is a racist term.

patteeu
10-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Isn't it a little like wearing black face when a white guy uses a black man as his avatar?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Scott,

Which epithet for Italian-Americans do you prefer, wop, dago, spaghetti slurper, greaser, guinea, greaseball, spaghetti bender, goomba, ginzo, or gino?

blaise
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I was saying getting around the word filter is a bannable offense. I think its a racial slur. That would be an attempt at getting around the use of the n-word. The Planet may not consider that a racist term but I believe it is a racist term.

You just got around the word filter, I think.

BigRedChief
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
If you say so, Chim...er, Champ.Better be careful....I know some people,,,,,
http://funnychops.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/original.thumbnail.jpg

patteeu
10-26-2009, 02:53 PM

But of course, it wasn't subhuman a couple of years ago when posters were calling a different president "monkeyboy", "nazi", "war criminal" etc. etc. Nothing has changed except that TFG is a bit of a spammer, but even that can be addressed with the ignore feature.

blaise
10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
But of course, it wasn't subhuman a couple of years ago when posters were calling a different president "monkeyboy", "nazi", "war criminal" etc. etc. Nothing has changed except that TFG is a bit of a spammer, but even that can be addressed with the ignore feature.

I doubt it bothers him when people refer to Christians as "religious nutjobs" either.

patteeu
10-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Oh don't worry, monkey boy is working on pushing us over the cliff.

It's practically indistinguishable from this comment about a different President:

Dang it! MonkeyBoy still has 6 percentage points to spare! Still, he's almost there....

patteeu
10-26-2009, 03:13 PM
As if reason was acceptable in DC. ;)

And being a reasonable and respectable man yourself, surely even you can see that some of the language is a little over the top.

I think blaise and a few others have it right when they call some of this language low-class, crude, or disrespectful, but I think allegations of racism ought to be reserved for situations where the racist intent doesn't have to be assumed.

Jilly
10-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I think blaise and a few others have it right when they call some of this language low-class, crude, or disrespectful, but I think allegations of racism ought to be reserved for situations where the racist intent doesn't have to be assumed.

People will say and do what they want, I was only raising the question in the interest of the board to make it a better place, but it seems the consensus is that this is the exact thing that does make it a better place...so...what's a girl to do. Like Jaz says, I guess if I don't like it, I will leave, or put someone on ignore, or not visit that area of CP, I just hope others don't see that area of CP and think this is the norm, or maybe it is and they can choose to stay and accept it or never come back.

Either way, thanks for the discussion. It's obvious nothing will be done about a racist prick who salutes the flag anytime he can use the word negro instead of nigger because he knows that allows him to still be the racist asshole he's proven himself to be and get by.

wild1
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I guess if I don't like it, I will leave, or put someone on ignore, or not visit that area of CP,

a revolutionary idea

Jilly
10-26-2009, 03:34 PM
a revolutionary idea

not really, the revolutionary idea would be to change it all together. Let me say, so you don't think I'm an idiot, that I know you were being sarcastic

patteeu
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
People will say and do what they want, I was only raising the question in the interest of the board to make it a better place, but it seems the consensus is that this is the exact thing that does make it a better place...so...what's a girl to do. Like Jaz says, I guess if I don't like it, I will leave, or put someone on ignore, or not visit that area of CP, I just hope others don't see that area of CP and think this is the norm, or maybe it is and they can choose to stay and accept it or never come back.

Either way, thanks for the discussion. It's obvious nothing will be done about a racist prick who salutes the flag anytime he can use the word negro instead of ****er because he knows that allows him to still be the racist asshole he's proven himself to be and get by.

LOL Now that's not exactly what I meant by leading by example. :)

MikeMaslowski
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
Scott,

Which epithet for Italian-Americans do you prefer, wop, dago, spaghetti slurper, greaser, guinea, greaseball, spaghetti bender, goomba, ginzo, or gino?

----------------------------

Off topic. I am stationed in Italy. I had a new military working dog sent to our kennels. Came over, I picked up the record and what was his name....?

DAGO.

Can't make this shit up folks.

HemiEd
10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
Scott,

----------------------------

Off topic. I am stationed in Italy. I had a new military working dog sent to our kennels. Came over, I picked up the record and what was his name....?

DAGO.

Can't make this shit up folks.

Oh, but that is not being racist!

Jilly
10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
LOL Now that's not exactly what I meant by leading by example. :)

I'm only human, patty o. And I'm sorry.o:-)

patteeu
10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm only human, patty o. And I'm sorry.o:-)

FWIW, I don't think very many people want you to leave. Maybe just put a few of the prickiest assholes on ignore. (Ooops, I swear I don't usually use words like that.)

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh, but that is not being racist!

Why don't you read the thread to get the context.

N/M, too much work. Sorry.

HemiEd
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Why don't you read the thread to get the context.

N/M, too much work. Sorry.This thread? I have read it all.

Or ar you talking about the thread that post was pulled from? I read that one, at the time also, but don't remember much about it. But you DID post those slurs.

My interpretationn of your hate for Pioli just might have clouded your intended meaning, however.

If that wasn't your intended meaning, it is all good. You have to forgive some of us, that aren't quite up to your intellect. We were not all born equal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
This thread? I have read it all.

Or ar you talking about the thread that post was pulled from? I read that one, at the time also, but don't remember much about it. But you DID post those slurs.

My interpretationn of your hate for Pioli just might have clouded your intended meaning, however.

If that wasn't your intended meaning, it is all good. You have to forgive some of us, that aren't quite up to your intellect. We were not all born equal.

Sorry, I was just asking for common sense.

MOhillbilly
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
i dont like that Irish, bunch of taternogs.

Hammock Parties
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I just wish people would stop saying shit, fuck, ass, bitch, and cunt. It offends me. So stop saying shit, fuck, ass, bitch, and cunt. Those are bad words. Didn't your momma tell you not to say shit, fuck, ass, bitch, and cunt?

Pablo
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I sit on the wooden structure in front of my home all day; enjoying Brazil nuts.

wild1
10-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I just wish people would stop saying shit, ****, ass, bitch, and ****. It offends me. So stop saying shit, ****, ass, bitch, and ****. Those are bad words. Didn't your momma tell you not to say shit, ****, ass, bitch, and ****?

I agree. Rather than me putting them on ignore or not reading the posts, I think they should be banned.

HemiEd
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I was just asking for common sense.

Well, then I would defer to you, to use some of the same.

Take another look at the thread starters complaint. It is about WORDS, nothing about intent, or meaning.

Or at least that is the way I took it, but this thread did get there.

I was referring to your use of WORDS, the majority of the discussion in this thread is about WORDS.

Hammock Parties
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree. Rather than me putting them on ignore or not reading the posts, I think they should be banned.

Also the people that don't say shit, ass, bitch, fuck and cunt should be banned...just for whining about it.

Let's ban anyone that uses those words or complains about using those words...get rid of all the malcontents.

But keep everyone who uses the word "cock." Nothing wrong with that word.