PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The number 1 weakness on this team is the OL. Why didn't Pioli and Haley address it?

chiefsfan1963
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
This boggles my mind still. Did they each think that the line was good enough when they evaluated the players? Did they think that better coaching would improve it? Was there nothing they could do during the offseason to fix it b/c of lack of quality OL players in the draft or available free agents? Are they just poor evaluators of talent? Did Haley have to deal with the deficiencies in the OL b/c Pioli said he had to?

Without a solid OL no team has a chance for a winning season PERIOD!

13and3
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Implementing a 3-4 defense is more important.

The Franchise
10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Yep....this warrants another thread.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
This boggles my mind still. Did they each think that the line was good enough when they evaluated the players? Did they think that better coaching would improve it? Was there nothing they could do during the offseason to fix it b/c of lack of quality OL players in the draft or available free agents? Are they just poor evaluators of talent? Did Haley have to deal with the deficiencies in the OL b/c Pioli said he had to?

Welcome to 9 months ago

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
they don't know what they are doing?

alpha_omega
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, to be fair....they couldn't have done it all in just 1 year, could they?

DaWolf
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
A) Decided to focus draft on D rather than OL, could have been a mistake based on what we are seeing
B) Not much was available in terms of impact OL on free agent market, but obviously made poor decisions on Goff and Guhaicic (sp).
C) Injuries and lack of development/improvement by existing players (Albert, Niswanger) definitely don't help.

MichaelH
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM

I think that was already the feeling before the season started. It's a rebuilding year and it will take time to flush all the poor decisions from previous regimes away. Then it will start all over next April. It's the Chiefs way.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, to be fair....they couldn't have done it all in just 1 year, could they?

Address it? Absolutely.

They could have replaced three of five guys easily.

They chose not to do that and the offense is suffering because of it.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
they don't know what they are doing?

Is that a question or a statement?

L.A. Chieffan
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
you know i was just thinking we needed more threads about the OL. crazy

Bane
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Yep....this warrants another thread.

At least one more should do it.:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
A) Decided to focus draft on D rather than OL, could have been a mistake based on what we are seeing
B) Not much was available in terms of impact OL on free agent market, but obviously made poor decisions on Goff and Guhaicic (sp).
C) Injuries and lack of development/improvement by existing players (Albert, Niswanger) definitely don't help.

A) Stupid fucking decision to take two more 5 technique 3-4 DE's with their first two picks, along with Washington. None of those guys are impact players.

B) There were plenty of guys available in free agency to at least try to sign.

C) Albert's taken a step backward because he was asked to lose more than 10% of his body weight in a short period of time. His strength is gone and he's being taught to rely on newly instructed technique. The result is a guy that's thinking way too much (ala Dwayne Bowe) and can't react quickly enough.

Niswanger's a lost cause and should have never been counted on to play center from the beginning. He'll never improve because his talent is maxed out.

Reerun_KC
10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
At least one more should do it.:thumb:

God damn this place is like a marry go round....

It never rails... Same shit different day....

Reerun_KC
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Welcome to ChiefsPlanet!!!!

http://www.technicalpark.com/img_shopping/mini-merry-go-round.jpg

CoMoChief
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Well this all lands on Piloi..why?

He wanted to implant the 3-4 defense. Pendergast isn't a 3-4 coach. He somewhat ran it in Arizona, but that wasn't their prime base defense.

We didn't have any 3-4 DL players. Which is the most important part of the defense...Which is why we reached for Tyson Jackson. Whether he pans out or not will be Pioli's claim to whether he's already screwed the pooch on this.

My feeling is that implanting the defense was more important than the offense, and probably figured they couldn't get any worse with the Oline. I would guess.

We need a LT, move Albert to guard (sorry folks but he's not a true LT, def not the probowler calibur of Ryan Clady), need a center, move Waters to RG, and we need a RT. Right now we have a bunch of backups starting. These guys are scrubs from other teams that didn't want them. Why'd we get rid of Herb Taylor? That move was also stupid. He's better than most of the OL we have starting right now.

And Niswanger needs to be cut.....fuck that experiment. He's terrible.

Arrowhead Nation
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
You cant make people sign in KC,

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Is that a question or a statement?

I don't know?

Bane
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Welcome to ChiefsPlanet!!!!

http://www.technicalpark.com/img_shopping/mini-merry-go-round.jpg

ROFL

Buehler445
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
LOL @ Penz.

First, the DL sucked to the tune of 10 motherfuck sacks in an entire season, so OL may not have been the number ONE priority.

That being said, it was mind boggling that they didn't bring some new guys in. Even if their review of the game film was off (due to the pistol, which is still a pisspoor excuse), they should have went after some help when OTAs came around.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know?

Maybe you could provide a little more detail?

Christofire
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with the person who said o-line may not have been our number one priority. If you recall, we had the worst defense in franchise history, both by scoring and by yards allowed. Additionally, we had the lowest sack total in a season in NFL history. If that doesn't call for a total revamp of the defense, I don't know what does.

Yes, 'tis sad the offensive line sucks. And no doubt that will be dealt with. But according to a radio interview he did with 610 sports on Oct. 13, Scott Pioli does not regret the moves they've made. I've typed up the transcript in regards to the o-line, but the gist of it is this: We had too many needs, and the offensive linemen that were available weren't worth the effort.

Pioli:

"When we got here and understood there were a number of situations that needed to be addressed, you can only address so much at one point in time. You've got the draft, you've got free agency. It's a very simple thing to say 'Okay, we need to fix THIS.' Okay, we need to fix this, so where is our opportunity and who is our opportunity?

"... If there's an opportunity out there to do something that we feel upgrades the football team, we're gonna do that ... We're sitting here in October now, and we're saying 'Alright, we should have done X, Y and Z back in march.' Well, you go back to the list of names that were available in March at a number of positions we needed to address ... And you look at that list of names vs the names of players on your roster and we feel comfortable with the decisions we made. Or, not made."

(end quote)

Translation: There wasn't anyone they were dying to have, or were willing to overspend on. Other than Cassel, of course.

jidar
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
this shit is ****ing retarded.

Noone has any memory or objectivity.

I know
KNOW
for 100% fact
that if Pioli had ignored the d in favor of improving the o line more YOU SAME STUPID ****S WOULD BE MAKING POSTS ABOUT HOW D WAS THE #1 PRIORITY BUT IT WASN'T ADDRESSED
GO **** YOURSELF

jidar
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
http://www.distortedminds.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/johnny-derp-242x300.png

Chiefless
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM

I know
KNOW
for 100% fact
that if Pioli had ignored the d in favor of improving the o line more YOU SAME STUPID ****S WOULD BE MAKING POSTS ABOUT HOW D WAS THE #1 PRIORITY BUT IT WASN'T ADDRESSED
GO **** YOURSELF

True. The D-Line and QB were the most broken units at the end of last season. They were addressed this off-season and now they're functional. Well, the QB situation looks bleak because NOW the O-Line is one of the worst ever assembled. I expect that to be revamped next off season. THEN we can talk about the "impact" players preferably (for me anyway) in the LB corps. I know it's not sexy, but Pioli seems to be starting his rebuild with the foundation of the team. I'm good with the approach and am willing to suffer for the three years it will take to implement his plan to see if his approach yields a team that's strong where it counts the most...in the trenches. It takes a thick skin to build it this way, but in the end Pioli should get the team to where it needs to be MUCH faster. JMO.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 03:03 PM

I know
KNOW
for 100% fact
GO **** YOURSELF

Not true.

The Chiefs traded for and signed their QB to a $63 million dollar contract. At that point, the offensive line should have become a priority, especially considering three QB's had been seriously injured, two landed on IR and the third should have been on IR (Green).

No one expected miracles but I think everyone expected the offensive line to improve over 2006, 2007 and 2008.

So far, they've taken a step backward. And the defense has not improved a lick.

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
This is a brand new question...

chiefsfan1963
10-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I still don't buy that they were only able to work on our D b/c there was not the talent available in free agency and in the draft. As bad as our OL has been the last 2 seasons you would think that Pioli needed to address it to insure some chance that this offense would improve this season. I don't get why he would spend so much on QFTF and not try at least to give him some protection and a chance to be productive.

What about next offseason is there talent expect then?

Another 2-3 wins next season is not going to go over well for these fans.

Mecca
10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
You guys going to the sacks stat for the DL argument...in a 3-4 your lineman don't get sacks, so that's flawed.

pr_capone
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Unless his fucking knee is falling off, why in the hell have we not brought in Runyan?

KcFanInGA
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM

I know
KNOW
for 100% fact
GO **** YOURSELF

You are correct, sir. You cannot, I repeat, cannot fix a team this bad in one year. They went with Defense. I believe if we get a decent coordinator next year we will be at least average on that side of the ball (defense). I think our front three are doing as well as can be expected, I mean Jackson is drawing double teams and Ron is playing better every week. Dorsey is actually visible in game stats this year as well. I think if anything Pioli underestimated the vortex of suckitude that is our roster.

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Maybe you could provide a little more detail?

maybe?

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
maybe?

Do you think you can?

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON /passes out

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Ok here is the deal with pioli and Haley. They actually don't like each other that much, in fact it dates back to in 1990 Pioli (huge ted nugent fan) stole Haley's DAMN! YANKEES! Tape. This started a fued in which ended up starting a war between the two. At one point Haley put up a JVC Video Camera in PIOLI's office which was revealed that Pioli likes to get his rocks off by wearing a mesh shirt and playing right said fred. That said, they still respected and loved each other very much. Infact one encounter went something like they touched hands in an embrace over the last bear claw. Now back to the reason they negleted the defense, it's because they don't know what the fuck they are doing

RustShack
10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
You guys going to the sacks stat for the DL argument...in a 3-4 your lineman don't get sacks, so that's flawed.

Thats like saying the OL doesn't get you TD's.

Sure-Oz
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Only if Lamar whipped out his checkbook!1111111111

Mecca
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
The pass rush still sucks so hey.

Johnny Vegas
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
you know i was just thinking we needed more threads about the OL. crazy

oh but we need this to counter the flood of LJ threads.

Reerun_KC
10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj435/mkkessel/deadhorse.gif

bishop_74
10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Ok here is the deal with pioli and Haley. They actually don't like each other that much, in fact it dates back to in 1990 Pioli (huge ted nugent fan) stole Haley's DAMN! YANKEES! Tape. This started a fued in which ended up starting a war between the two. At one point Haley put up a JVC Video Camera in PIOLI's office which was revealed that Pioli likes to get his rocks off by wearing a mesh shirt and playing right said fred. That said, they still respected and loved each other very much. Infact one encounter went something like they touched hands in an embrace over the last bear claw. Now back to the reason they negleted the defense, it's because they don't know what the **** they are doing

I heard the exact same thing... seriously.