PDA

View Full Version : Poop Teen wins 20k in monopoly Vegas tournament

Mr. Laz
10-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Norwegian teen wins Monopoly world championship

<!-- START Dummy ad code - real code to be inserted instead. --> <!-- END Dummy ad code - real code to be inserted instead. -->From correspondents in Las Vegas | October 23, 2009

<!-- // .module-subheader --> Article from: Agence France-Presse

NINETEEN-year-old Norwegian student Bjorn Halvard Knappskog has been crowned the 2009 Monopoly world champion, outlasting his rivals to walk away with a cheque for US$20,580 ($22,200) - in real money.

That sum is, as most aficionados know, the total amount in the "bank'' of the American edition of the game.

Mr Knappskog bankrupted the American, Russian and New Zealand champions in the finale after two days of horse-trading to become the youngest-ever title holder.

The student from Oslo was among 41 national champions competing for the world title, the first global championship in five years.

All of the competitors had won Monopoly tournaments in their home countries to qualify and earned an expenses-paid trip to Las Vegas for this week's event.

Mr Knappskog was attending his first world final.

"It was fun just to be here,'' the Norwegian said.

"I was really happy to be here whether I won or lost, but I'm also very happy to have won.''

Mr Knappskog emerged the swaggering tycoon when, after the American and Russian players went bankrupt, his Kiwi rival landed on Mr Knappskog's North Carolina Avenue, which had two houses on the property.

The New Zealander, Geoff Christopher, did not have enough cash or assets to pay the $1600 dollars in rent and the game was up.

Monopoly's maker, Hasbro, holds world championships sporadically, with the last times in 2004 in Tokyo and 2000 in Toronto. It's about the furthest thing from the homey kitchen-table play that most conjure up when they think of the 75-year-old game.

For one thing, this year's competition took place in a mammoth ballroom at Caesars Palace with hundreds of spectators, official judges and bankers, plus language translators to facilitate deals between the far-flung opponents.

A man dressed in a tuxedo and top hat with a huge handlebar moustache stalked the scene as the game's "Mr Monopoly'' mascot, the New Zealand champion brought 15 of his college friends for a cheering section and a crew of film-makers was on hand to film every dice roll for a documentary about the game, Under The Boardwalk, expected out next year.

The event also offered an opportunity for players to compare "home rules'' that have developed in various countries.

In the tournament, however, the official rules are strictly followed and the language barriers made it more challenging to negotiate deals or even to develop a rapport with other players.

There have been 12 Monopoly kings crowned since the first world championship tournament took place in New York, in 1973.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Rumor has it that the teen blew all 20k in Vegas that same night on "Community Chest(s)"

Bada dum .... tssshhhhh :)

TinyEvel
10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Soon to be a documentary with a HUGE following of 42 people.

ArrowheadHawk
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't believe I have ever finished a game of Monolpoly. It just takes too damn long.

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 10:12 AM
They should pay everyone to play Monopoly. That's pretty much the most boring board game ever.

Jilly
10-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Life. Now that is a quality board game.

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

When I was a kid, I would play multi-generational Life games. I'd run a car through, and then at the end I would split the money amongst the kids and each kid would get a car. Then I'd track their career choices, family sizes, and wealth accumulation over each generation.

In retrospect, that was probably a good indicator of why I make a living with demographic research these days.

jidar
10-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't believe I have ever finished a game of Monolpoly. It just takes too damn long.

It's not that bad if you don't play with house rules.
The Free Parking rule that everyone uses increases the game length at least 3 or 4 times over.
Hrm.. that said it still 3 or 4 hours and it's definitely not a good enough game to justify that length. I dislike Monopoly

jidar
10-28-2009, 10:38 AM

There are much much better board games made these days.

All of the childhood favorites that everyone played (myself included) are pretty much total crap

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
i once poked my cousins eye out with a kurplunk needle

Jilly
10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
There are much much better board games made these days.

All of the childhood favorites that everyone played (myself included) are pretty much total crap

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

I'm sure there are, but NOTHING, mind you, NOTHING could beat Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm sure there are, but NOTHING, mind you, NOTHING could beat Hungry, Hungry Hippos.
Strip Chutes and ladders > Hungry,Hungry Hippos

Frazod
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I've always loved Monopoly. I have an old beat-to-shit game that I've had since I was a kid, and everybody who's ever played has signed the board, which is pretty cool.

I don't get a lot of repeat players, though. I'm a real bastard when I play, and I almost always win. It would be interesting to get into a tournament against other Monopoly bastards. I think I could hold my own.

Chiefless
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I used to love that game. I was a bastard about it tho. My best game ever was having the boardwalk/park place monopoly and one of every other color. No trades. bled 3 people dry slowwwwwwwly.

RealSNR
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Monopoly can be fun. People who think it's boring want the game to do shit for them. Instead they just wander around aimlessly passing go.

Making heated deals is the whole fun part.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Monopoly is alot better on computer were it is faster not dicking around handing out cards at the 810 zone they have touch screen monopoly at your table that you can get through a game in a couple hours.

CoMoChief
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I play on Nintendo often. I like it.

CoMoChief
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Monopoly is alot better on computer were it is faster not dicking around handing out cards at the 810 zone they have touch screen monopoly at your table that you can get through a game in a couple hours.

This

MahiMike
10-28-2009, 11:55 AM
There was a game called "Pit" (I think) where you acted like commodities brokers on the stock exchange floor. Everyone had to try and get a set of 4 rice, barley, pigs, cows, etc. It was fast paced and there was tons of shouting. Really got your blood up. It lotsa fun. Had the same game in German called "Kuh Handel" (cow trading).

KCChiefsMan
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I plan to enter the World Bingo Championship, I will dominate your asses in bingo

Frazod
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Risk is another game that is much faster on the computer. It's still fun to play the board game, though.

That's another game that allows one to utilize complete bastard skills. :evil:

BigRedChief
10-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Risk is another game that is much faster on the computer. It's still fun to play the board game, though.

That's another game that allows one to utilize complete bastard skills. :evil:
I have conquest on my I-Phone. It's a "Risk" type game. I love it.

Frazod
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I have conquest on my I-Phone. It's a "Risk" type game. I love it.

I'll have to look into that. :thumb:

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
One of my favorite games as a child was called Titanic. (Motto: the game you play as the ship goes down.)

Your job was to run around the ship and rescue as many people as you could before they died screaming and alone, trapped in their cabins as the icy North Atlantic poured in, leaving them gasping and numb as they tried to suck in the last air bubbles.

As a young child, I found the death part fascinating, and enjoyed my control over whether these innocent passengers lived or died, just by deciding which corridor to travel.

http://gedblog.com/wp-content/uploads/titanic_title_full.jpg

http://gedblog.com/wp-content/uploads/titanic_full.jpg

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
King Oil was also a really cool game, one of the more innovative games out there, I always thought.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2608

BigRedChief
10-28-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll have to look into that. :thumb:It's free. You can get the improved version with better graphics and more maps to conquer for $5 bucks, I think?

Frazod
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
One of my favorite games as a child was called Titanic. (Motto: the game you play as the ship goes down.)

Your job was to run around the ship and rescue as many people as you could before they died screaming and alone, trapped in their cabins as the icy North Atlantic poured in, leaving them gasping and numb as they tried to suck in the last air bubbles.

As a young child, I found the death part fascinating, and enjoyed my control over whether these innocent passengers lived or died, just by deciding which corridor to travel.

http://gedblog.com/wp-content/uploads/titanic_title_full.jpg

http://gedblog.com/wp-content/uploads/titanic_full.jpg

How the hell did I never even here of that? Sounds like great twisted fun! :D

RealSNR
10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
If you've never heard of this game, learn it and buy it. It's one of the only board game I know of that people look forward to as an activity and not a mindless time-waster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_of_Catan

http://www.strategygamessite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/51TpQVap93L._SL500_.jpg

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 02:27 PM
How the hell did I never even here of that? Sounds like great twisted fun! :D

It should be a cult classic.

A favorite strategy was to hit the lifeboats early and take the highest one, hoping that the other lifeboats would sink before the other players could get there.

That game taught me a lot about how life works.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
does anyone remember the game called ball busters? OH NO SHE BUSTED MY BALLS!

DJ's left nut
10-28-2009, 03:19 PM
When I was a kid, I would play multi-generational Life games. I'd run a car through, and then at the end I would split the money amongst the kids and each kid would get a car. Then I'd track their career choices, family sizes, and wealth accumulation over each generation.

In retrospect, that was probably a good indicator of why I make a living with demographic research these days.

I gotta tell ya, this sounds incredibly sad.

Like "The neighborhood kids are out playing stickball and I'm sitting at the kitching table playing a board game by myself" style sad.

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
I gotta tell ya, this sounds incredibly sad.

Like "The neighborhood kids are out playing stickball and I'm sitting at the kitching table playing a board game by myself" style sad.

But those kids aren't making a living playing stickball now, are they? Are they?