PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: RIP Darvin Wallis

Tribal Warfare
10-28-2009, 05:34 PM
RIP Darvin Wallis (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/rip-darvin-wallis.html)
October 28, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

Darvin Wallis was unknown to most Chiefs fans during his 19 years working for the team. But believe me when I tell you he was one of the most remarkable men to ever pass through the doors of Arrowhead Stadium.

Wallis passed away over the weekend in a family cabin in Colorado. Details are sketchy at this point but he apparently died in his sleep. He was 60 years old.

Back in the most recent days when the Chiefs actually played good, sometimes great defense, Wallis was a big part of that. In his role as defensive quality control coach, Wallis worked with every defensive coordinator and head coach that passed through Arrowhead Stadium from 1989 through 2007.

He came to Kansas City with Marty Schottenheimer in 1989 and stayed through Gunther Cunningham, Dick Vermeil and Herm Edwards before retiring after the 2007 season.

“He was the best, just the best when it came to analyzing the opponent and the trends in their play calling,” said Schottenheimer. “I think anybody that worked with him would tell you he was the best. He was meticulous.”

There was a certain element of the absent minded professor with Wallis. More often than not, when he was seen around Arrowhead, Darvin’s hair wasn’t combed and his clothes were rumpled. That was due to many, many, many nights sleeping on a coach in his office at the Stadium. Wallis threw himself into his work and it was his genius. He was detailed, he was thorough and he was always willing to dissect another tape.

“He left no stone unturned,” said Schottenheimer. “He was constantly looking at the next film, the next printout.”

Yet somehow, he found time to be a husband to Vicky and a father to three sons. On top of all that, in 1999 he earned a doctorate in sports administration with dissertation honors from the University of Kansas. Darvin’s goal was always to get back to the classroom and teaching.

“I always thought skillful coaching was good teaching,” Wallis said several years ago. “Both include knowledge, goals, organization, passion, technology, relationships and many other commonalities.”

Wallis was a true coach, who began his career on the high school level in Arizona, moved up to small colleges with his alma mater Adams State, then major colleges like Tulane and Mississippi. He joined the coaching staff of Sam Rutigliano with the Cleveland Browns in 1982. The Indiana native moved on to the Chiefs with Schottenheimer in 1989. He retired after the 2007 season.

“He’s one of the most selfless coaches I’ve ever been associated with,” said Herm Edwards on the announcement of his retirement. “If you’ve been a member of the Kansas City coaching staff at any point over the past 20 years, you know how valuable his contribution was to our team for many, many years.”

His 19-year tenure with the Chiefs is stopped in franchise history only by Tom Pratt, who was part of the coaching staff for 21 years.

Wallis will be buried later this week in Colorado and a memorial service has been scheduled for Saturday, November 7 at the Overland Park Baptist Temple at 116th Street and Antioch. The service begins at 2 p.m.

chefsos
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, he was certainly unknown to me.

Nonetheless, RIP, and best wishes to his family.

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
RIP Darvin. It seems as if I hardly knew you.

(Is it too early to inquire about the cabin?)

milkman
10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
That was due to many, many, many nights sleeping on a coach in his office at the Stadium.

I wonder which coach that was?

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I wonder which coach that was?

You have to think that Art Shell would be pretty comfortable. But I'm guessing it was Greg Robinson.

gblowfish
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I knew this guy. He was one of my customers when I worked at an AV company in Independence. Probably was six or seven years ago. He used to bring in films of his kids playing football to put together highlight reels for applying for college scholarships. He was a very nice man, and the description by Gretz is spot on.
Very sad to hear this, he was a low profile guy, but worked very closely with Marty and Gun. Best wishes for his family. If you've got to go, that's not a bad way to go out.

DaWolf
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
RIP. Always saw his name in the media guide. Seemed like a good coach and a good man...

JohninGpt
10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
You have to think that Art Shell would be pretty comfortable. But I'm guessing it was Greg Robinson.

You know it wasn't Marty, GH's wife wiggled too much.

DomerNKC
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I work with his son.

JohninGpt
10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
You know it wasn't Marty, GH's wife wiggled too much.

BTW RIP, you've got to think, this man did his job much better than whoever bears the same title today.

Ebolapox
10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
RIP, mr. Wallis. we hardly knew ye.

Gadzooks
10-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I hate watching the Donkey's win too, but leaping to your death is taking it a bit far...

...too soon?

That's dreadful. :shake: