PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dungy on LJ: "I'd get rid of him"

Bill Lundberg
10-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Good read

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/30/1107542/dungy-if-im-the-chiefs-i-get-rid

Dungy: 'If I'm the Chiefs, I get rid of Larry Johnson'

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/profile_images/77308/TG_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Oct 30, 2009 9:51 AM CDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/30/1107542/dungy-if-im-the-chiefs-i-get-rid) in 2009 Campaign (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/section/2000-campaign) http://cdn3.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v1599.png 3 comments
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/154527/45653_dungy_vick_football.jpg (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/dungy-if-im-the-chiefs-i-get-rid) More photos » (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/dungy-if-im-the-chiefs-i-get-rid) by Michael Conroy - AP
On Friday morning, Tony Dungy said the Chiefs should cut ties with Larry Johnson. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

Browse more photos » (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/dungy-if-im-the-chiefs-i-get-rid)

One of the most respected figures in the NFL community has given his opinion on the situation regarding Larry Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2377/Larry_Johnson) and the Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/KAN).
And it ain't good for LJ.
Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show, Tony Dungy, who mentored Michael Vick (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1188/Michael_Vick) as he made his transition back into the NFL, said if he were in GM Scott Pioli's chair, LJ wouldn't be wearing a Chiefs jersey.
"If I'm them, right now, I'd get rid of Larry Johnson," the former Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/IND) coach said. "Larry Johnson is really trying to be a distraction."
This isn't a report citing sources like the ones we get from Adam Schefter and Kent Babb. This is the opinion of a man whose opinions many people, including Commissioner Roger Goodell, take very seriously.
Now, I don't know the inner-workings of exactly what is going on. But I can confidently say that Chiefs GM Scott Pioli respects the hell out of Bill Polian, the Colts GM who oversaw Dungy's tenure in Indianapolis. And, putting two and two together, I think I can confidently say that Pioli respects what Mr. Dungy has to say.
Does this mean he will take his advice? No. Does it mean LJ will never play for the Chiefs again? Not necessarily.
But Dungy's advice has been sought by Commissioner Goodell in the past so I tend to notice what he says.
Another interesting dynamic about Dungy voicing his opinion on the situation is this: If Dungy was willing to vouch for Michael Vick, and not Larry Johnson, what does that say about LJ's future in the NFL? The NFL Commissioner sought Dungy's approval/input on the Vick situation so it's obvious that important folks in the NFL take his position seriously.
Not a good day for LJ, in my opinion.
The overwhelming opinion of those folks in the football world appears to be that it's time for the Chiefs and Larry Johnson to part ways. Our preference seems to be to deactivate him for the season following this incident. Either way, the result's the same - no one wants LJ to put on a Chiefs uniform again.

Sure-Oz
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
I'd support mike vick though and be his mentor, screw lj!

dirk digler
10-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree. Hit the road LJ

L.A. Chieffan
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
lol, you know things are REALLY fucked when even Dungy doesnt want anything to do with you

dirk digler
10-30-2009, 09:39 AM
lol, you know things are REALLY fucked when even Dungy doesnt want anything to do with you

No kidding. On a personal note losing LJ is going to suck for my Chiefs wardrobe. I will need to go buy a new jersey since both of my jersey's that I own are or will not be on the team in LJ and TonyG.

Rain Man
10-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, of course he'd get rid of him. He's still got Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison to lean on. Duh.

Gonzo
10-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Another LJ Thread....

DaFace, Can you bring back tags for 1 day again? :D

talastan
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Dungy: Mike Vick> LJ. Wow that's saying something. I agree though. Vick's intentions was never to hurt or speak out against his team. LJ OTOH it seems is trying to destroy the locker room. I would love to see a mass LJ jersey burn in the parking lots of Arrowhead this weekend. :D

bluehawkdoc
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
LJ has proven to be a douche of epic proportions. Bury him on the bench. He can occasionally trip over Coach Haley's headphone cord, fall forward and we can still get the 2.7 yrd/carry return on our investment.

KCUnited
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
First Jeff Fisher and now LJ, Dungy is on a roll.

blaise
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I agree. I also think I'd get rid of Tony Dungy if I was NBC.

SAUTO
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Good read

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/30/1107542/dungy-if-im-the-chiefs-i-get-rid

for some reason the first time i looked at the article i read it as: dungy on lj "i would strangle him" i dont know why...

Tribal Warfare
10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Benmurrell/GTFO.gif

I agree Tony

King_Chief_Fan
10-30-2009, 10:29 AM
LJ is getting exactly what he wants.....out of the Chiefs organization. How better to get your cake (gauranteed Salary) and eat it too (get out from the Chiefs organization. He knows no one would trade for him and give him what the Chiefs have)...he gets cut, and he will get a contract and play for someone

Red Beans
10-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Oh Dungy, the wise sage. It seems to me that while Vick has come from (forgive the lack of a better term) a ghetto background, LJ has had all the privileges of an upper middle class upbringing. LJ has continually strived to gain street credibility by acting like some kind of hard ass, when in fact, all he comes off as is a spoiled rich kid from the suburbs. The fact that I think Dungy sees is that while Vick hasn't really known much else (not that it's an excuse) LJ was raised on the opposite spectrum. Picture all those rich suburban white kids acting like gangstas, pants sagging, babbling ebonic bullshit. LJ is no better than those posers. In fact he's worse because he has an opportunity to make an impact on young lives. Instead, he's a poser and acts like a world-class asshole. Cake away partna.

LaChapelle
10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
DO NOT let him off the hook!

Demonpenz
10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
No kidding. On a personal note losing LJ is going to suck for my Chiefs wardrobe. I will need to go buy a new jersey since both of my jersey's that I own are or will not be on the team in LJ and TonyG.

Tony G will will be cool forever. like a kellen winslow senior jersey

TEX
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh Dungy, the wise sage. It seems to me that while Vick has a come from (forgive the lack of a better term) a ghetto background, LJ has had all the privileges of an upper middle class upbringing. LJ has continually strived to gain street credibility by acting like some kind of hard ass when in fact all he comes off as is a spoiled rich kid from the suburbs. The fact that I think Dungy sees is that while Vick hasn't really known much else (not that it's an excuse) LJ was raised on the opposite spectrum. Picture all those rich suburban white kids acting like gangstas, pants sagging, babbling ebonic bullshit. LJ is no better than those posers. In fact he's worse because he has an opportunity to make an impact on young lives. Instead, he's a poser and acts like a world-class asshole. Cake away partna.

This. And he is doing this now to get the hell out of KC. He knows what he's doing...

Bugeater
10-30-2009, 11:15 AM
So is Dungy now the official character police of the NFL?

CHENZ A!
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Oh Dungy, the wise sage. It seems to me that while Vick has a come from (forgive the lack of a better term) a ghetto background, LJ has had all the privileges of an upper middle class upbringing. LJ has continually strived to gain street credibility by acting like some kind of hard ass when in fact all he comes off as is a spoiled rich kid from the suburbs. The fact that I think Dungy sees is that while Vick hasn't really known much else (not that it's an excuse) LJ was raised on the opposite spectrum. Picture all those rich suburban white kids acting like gangstas, pants sagging, babbling ebonic bullshit. LJ is no better than those posers. In fact he's worse because he has an opportunity to make an impact on young lives. Instead, he's a poser and acts like a world-class asshole. Cake away partna.

Exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Dungy on Vick "i'd buy him a dog, a hotdog!" *chuckles*

ZootedGranny
10-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I figured Dungy would be on LJ's side, considering their "distaste" for gays.

OnTheWarpath15
10-30-2009, 12:12 PM
This. And he is doing this now to get the hell out of KC. He knows what he's doing...

You really think he's done all these things to get out of KC?

I mean, the alleged assaults, spitting drinks, showing up late/missing practices - none of those things worked - so let's call a reporter a pillowbiter, and THAT'S my way out of town?

Or, it could just be that LJ is an egotistical maniac with serious personality and behavior disorders.

TrebMaxx
10-30-2009, 12:34 PM

I mean, the alleged assaults, spitting drinks, showing up late/missing practices - none of those things worked - so let's call a reporter a pillowbiter, and THAT'S my way out of town?

Or, it could just be that LJ is an egotistical maniac with serious personality and behavior disorders.

Big time.

Fritz88
10-30-2009, 12:34 PM
LJ fugged it up alright but let's look at it from his own viewpoint. LJ could have been one of the greatest running backs of the history of the NFL but he happened to spend his years with a shitty team. He is getting old and knows he has not reach a fraction of his potential.

Red Dawg
10-30-2009, 12:44 PM
WTF? Dungy backs a crook and dog murderer but throws LJ out for saying "Faggot".

I want LJ out as well but what the hell?

T-post Tom
10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Getting thrown under the bus by Dungy is the NFL equivilent of getting pimp slapped by the Dali Lama. OUCH!

Iowanian
10-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I said this deep into another thread, but still feel it's relevant.

The Chiefs could run Larry Johnson out of town, but at 2.3 yards per attempt, it would take him a year and a half to get to Liberty, and he'll be lucky to get to the Airport by the end of the Mayan calendar.

salame
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00653/celebrity_682_653227a.jpg

BigRedChief
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Larry Johnson's agent claims he didn't know gay slur was offensive

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/10/larry-johnsons-agent-claims-he-didnt-know-gay-slur-was-offensive/1

Rain Man
10-30-2009, 05:14 PM
LJ fugged it up alright but let's look at it from his own viewpoint. LJ could have been one of the greatest running backs of the history of the NFL but he happened to spend his years with a shitty team. He is getting old and knows he has not reach a fraction of his potential.

Yeah, I remember one play at the height of the LJ era that really stands out. I think it was against San Diego, though I could be wrong. He burst into the secondary, and past the linebackers, and a defensive back finally made contact. Then another defensive back. But they couldn't bring him down, and he kept slogging forward. Then when it looked like they were destined to bring him down, he made this Bob Beamon lunge forward and picked up another yard and a half on his way down.

I saw that and thought, "Dang, I'm going to love watching this guy run for the next decade."

What happened? Why did such talent get spoiled?

I think it goes without saying that he benefitted from having one of the best offensive lines ever. I could've averaged 3 yards behind that line. But Larry could have been great, too. There were too many plays where he punished defenders and gained yards when he should've been stopped.

It's a crying shame.

Rain Man
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
The embedding is disabled, but the play I'm talking about is the one that starts at 6:38 on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n40oCkR8Mm4

SAUTO
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
The embedding is disabled, but the play I'm talking about is the one that starts at 6:38 on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n40oCkR8Mm4

i was actually at that game , christmas eve rained all day, he also caught a pass took it down the sideline and juked a defender out of his fucking shoes to score a td. he had FIRE back then...

Chiefaholic
10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I remember one play at the height of the LJ era that really stands out. I think it was against San Diego, though I could be wrong. He burst into the secondary, and past the linebackers, and a defensive back finally made contact. Then another defensive back. But they couldn't bring him down, and he kept slogging forward. Then when it looked like they were destined to bring him down, he made this Bob Beamon lunge forward and picked up another yard and a half on his way down.

I saw that and thought, "Dang, I'm going to love watching this guy run for the next decade."

I think it goes without saying that he benefitted from having one of the best offensive lines ever. I could've averaged 3 yards behind that line. But Larry could have been great, too. There were too many plays where he punished defenders and gained yards when he should've been stopped.

It's a crying shame.

I'll tell you exactly what happened..... HE GOT PAID!!!

He's your typical cock sucker athlete who plays his ass off till he "earns" his big payday. Once he became an overpaid piece of shit, there's no need to take a chance on getting hurt fighting for extra yardage. Say what you want about Dick Vermeil, but he knew this shit about "Diaper Boy" long before many of us did.

LocoChiefsFan
10-30-2009, 06:37 PM

I have the exact same problem. 2 LJ jerseys(one pro bowl), and 1 Tony G. I have my #58 to fall back on.

teedubya
10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
LJ is who we thought he was.

Rausch
10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Don't run away angry LJ, just run away...

DaKernal
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I have the exact same problem. 2 LJ jerseys(one pro bowl), and 1 Tony G. I have my #58 to fall back on.

Yours is looking better than mine. Here'e my jersey collection to date (not all chiefs):
LJ (White)
Bowe (white)
Surtian (red) bought it as soon as we signed him BIG mistake
Duece McCallister (Black) Not playing for anyone
Steve Smith (Black, Authentic) wants out of carolina

Shitty

Pink Paradise 2010
10-30-2009, 10:23 PM
awesome!!!!

The_Doctor10
10-30-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah but you can wear the Tony jersey knowing he gave his all every down and never tried to dismantle the team. And also, he's still the best TE in NFL history.

What's LJ besides an ignorant, lazy, selfish jackass with poor taste in hats?

MikeMaslowski
10-31-2009, 05:33 AM
LJ is who we thought he was.

we let him off the hook.

MikeMaslowski
10-31-2009, 05:34 AM
Yeah but you can wear the Tony jersey knowing he gave his all every down and never tried to dismantle the team. And also, he's still the best TE in NFL history.

Someone has their TG blinders on...

Reerun_KC
10-31-2009, 07:24 AM

It's a crying shame.

Tell me one back that after he carried the ball for a league record in touches has ever been worth a shit afterwards...

I know people here celebrated that record and just because it was the Chiefs nothing bad would ever happen to LJ... LJ is another back that is proof, carry the load to a record amount of touches... Fall off the planet and suck for the rest of your career...

Oh and then he got paid before that... Once he was paid he quit.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2009, 07:25 AM

rose colored glasses? Dude begged to keep herm and thigpen...

milkman
10-31-2009, 07:28 AM
I'll tell you exactly what happened..... HE GOT PAID!!!

He's your typical cock sucker athlete who plays his ass off till he "earns" his big payday. Once he became an overpaid piece of shit, there's no need to take a chance on getting hurt fighting for extra yardage. Say what you want about Dick Vermeil, but he knew this shit about "Diaper Boy" long before many of us did.

There were a few of us that never thought LJ should have been paid.

As to Tony Dungy he's an idiot.

He's backing away from LJ while at the same time he's backing Vick.

He also told Dan Patrick that he'd take Tim TeBow in the first round and basically use the wildcat as his base formation.

That dumbfuck would never have won a championship without Peyton Manning, and staying out of his way.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2009, 07:29 AM
There were a few of us that never thought LJ should have been paid.

As to Tony Dungy he's an idiot.

He's backing away from LJ while at the same time he's backing Vick.

He also told Dan Patrick that he'd take Tim TeBow in the first round and basically use the wildcat as his base formation.

That dumb**** would never have won a championship without Peyton Manning, and staying out of his way.

He was smart enough to win a championship by staying out of his way....

milkman
10-31-2009, 08:10 AM
He was smart enough to win a championship by staying out of his way....

It was probably a prerequisite to being hired by Polian.

Rain Man
10-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Yours is looking better than mine. Here'e my jersey collection to date (not all chiefs):
LJ (White)
Bowe (white)
Surtian (red) bought it as soon as we signed him BIG mistake
Duece McCallister (Black) Not playing for anyone
Steve Smith (Black, Authentic) wants out of carolina

Shitty

I hate to break it to you, dude, but some of those guys aren't even Chiefs. Did you not notice that the jersey wasn't red or white?

CoMoChief
10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Michael Vick tortured and killed dogs.

Larry Johnson called someone a f@ggot.

Which do YOU think is worse?!?!

Dungy's out of his ****in mind. Dungy = Herm v2.0

Saccopoo
10-31-2009, 11:37 AM

I don't think that there is anything serious with his personality or behavior. I think that a lot of people exhibit such behavior. He's a petulant, immature person with entitlement issues. If that were such a big deal, then how did this schmuck end up in the White House for eight years?:

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/george-w-bush.jpg

Saccopoo
10-31-2009, 11:42 AM

It's not that he called someone a rump wrangler. It's that he tried to demean and embarrass and castigate his head coach in public. That's the big issue here. The "f@ggot" thing is allowing the Chiefs/NFL/whoever to hammer him, but it's the attempt to bash Coach Haley that is the true issue, especially with football guys. It's just something you don't do. Try bashing your boss on a twitter or whatever, let him see it, and see what happens to your career advancement possibilities at that company.

HC_Chief
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM

LJ also assaulted women. He has a past.

LJ is a jackass and over-the-hill RB. Suspend him for the seasons, or cut him if cutting him saves money. Either way that fool is done in KC. (after watching him this season I'm of the opinion that he's done, period).

The Bronco Rob
10-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Win win for LJ....

He gets out of KC and will get his money to boot....

Nice.